http://gamingtrend.com
October 01, 2014, 10:27:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Let's War! What's your Most Disappointing Game of the Year?  (Read 5183 times)
ATB
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 30, 2006, 06:01:08 PM »

Quote from: pr0ner on November 30, 2006, 05:41:46 PM

My most disappointing game was Bully.

I've only spent about 15 minutes in it and I'm none too pleased thus far...
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 30, 2006, 06:04:44 PM »

Over G Fighters - Man, what an awful game.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: November 30, 2006, 06:25:14 PM »

Quote from: kathode on November 30, 2006, 06:04:44 PM

Over G Fighters - Man, what an awful game.

Quoted for Truth.  *shudder*  The voice acting is on par with Resident Evil for crying out loud...

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
jblank

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: November 30, 2006, 06:36:49 PM »

Jeez, I forgot about Chromehounds eek

Yeah, that replaces Madden as my most disappointing. What a letdown. thumbsdown

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: November 30, 2006, 06:44:41 PM »

Burnout Revenge (360).

Blech. PDZ is a 2005 game, people. Tongue It wasn't THAT bad that it needs to be carried over.

I'd have to say that for me that Samurai Warriors 2 should have been so much more than it was. The only game that I felt was more lacking was N3.

Multiplayer woulda kicked ass. ::sigh::

And Chromehounds? It was really good; (even the single player) as long as you're ok with sparse. The singleplayer game was essentially an excellent trainer for the different classes, but there was no REAL singleplayer game.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 30, 2006, 06:56:45 PM »

Okami, hands down.  I was so psych'd for the game, and it seemed exactly like the type of game I would enjoy - but for some reason, it just didn't click for me.  I'm not quite sure what it was - the story, the gameplay, (it surely wasn't due to the art style).... but after 7 hours of being miserable I finally gave up on it.

Empire at War could be contender as well, although most of my expectations of how great it could be were already shattered after playing the demo so I'm not sure if that counts.

I would have put Age of Empires 3 on the list, but for some reason I reinstalled it a few weeks ago and started playing it and finding myself hooked.  It gets much better from Act 2 on...

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 30, 2006, 07:05:00 PM »

Dead Rising and Madden '07 were major disappiontments for me.

But, Kingdom Hearts 2 takes the cake (even though I'm foaming at the mouth to pick it up and give it another shot).

TheMissingLink on PSN
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 30, 2006, 07:08:40 PM »

Quote from: TheMissingLink on November 30, 2006, 07:05:00 PM

But, Kingdom Hearts 2 takes the cake (even though I'm foaming at the mouth to pick it up and give it another shot).

Did you expect Madden 07 to be good?

I think it is abysmal.  But I'm not really disapointed because in the back of my mind I knew it would be.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Big Jake

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 30, 2006, 07:20:06 PM »

PC: Rise of Legends.  RoN was a great RTS, it's sequel is just another vanilla gather/build/swarm rts.  Remeber how in Ron, when you took a city, there was a near-constant fight to hold it as the enemy tried to retake it?  Yeah...the sequel was just lifeless.

The price of great bacon is eternal vigilance.
jblank

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: November 30, 2006, 07:39:03 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on November 30, 2006, 07:08:40 PM

Quote from: TheMissingLink on November 30, 2006, 07:05:00 PM

Did you expect Madden 07 to be good?

I think it is abysmal.  But I'm not really disapointed because in the back of my mind I knew it would be.

I think the universal expectation was that it was going to be much improved over the 2006 version. The media fueled this to a certain extent, but I know I definitely felt the game would be better than it was.

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 30, 2006, 08:08:40 PM »

Dead Rising

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
unbreakable
« Reply #51 on: November 30, 2006, 08:15:29 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on November 30, 2006, 01:46:25 PM

Rise of Legends, almost definitely.

+1

I never finished the single player, and don't really feel compelled to.  Neither the story or the gameplay really pull me in.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 30, 2006, 08:20:31 PM »

Rise of Legends was definitely a disappointment to me.  I only played a few missions but it just didn't seem to match with the way that the developers were describing it pre-release. 
pingwrx

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 30, 2006, 11:02:01 PM »

Madden 2007 (360) controls were terrible.

XBL gamertag: pingwrx
PS3-PS4 pingwrx
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: November 30, 2006, 11:54:54 PM »

Quote from: Farscry on November 30, 2006, 03:32:26 PM

And Destructor, on Star Fox, I'm specifically complaining about the Cube one with its lack of actual classic Star Fox gameplay. The SNES original is still my favorite, though the N64 one came really close (my main gripe on that one is that it was just too easy, even on the "hard" mode).

My whole point was that there were two Star Fox titles on the Gamecube.  icon_biggrin
And my favorite one is the SNES one as well. Not only is the music better, but the hard difficulty is actually hard!

And to keep things on topic - my most disappointing console game as of right now is gonna be Red Steel on the Wii. It looks like tripe, sounds like tripe, and the control isn't much better.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: December 01, 2006, 12:38:37 AM »

Okami
Bully
Madden 07

Out of the three I would say I was most let down by Okami.  I wanted this game from the minute I saw the first screenshots but once I got the game I found it to be not exactly what I was looking for.  I HATE how it takes you into a different area when you run into an enemy scroll. 

Bully was overhyped by reviewers, and Madden 07 was well Madden 07.  I think I am finally done with Madden.  Seriously this time.  It just doesnt feel like football to me anymore, and the presentation is complete SHIT. 

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: December 01, 2006, 02:48:46 AM »

Oh, oh, oh.  Auto Assault!  I had such hopes for that one and it was absolutely my biggest disappointment this year. 

Other than what has already been mentioned (Dead Rising, I'm looking in your direction) I was kind of disappointed in Lego Star Wars 2.  I enjoyed the hell out of the first game earlier this year and the second one seemed to be missing something.  And they royally nerfed saber fighting, which was basically how I played the whole first game. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 01, 2006, 03:42:48 AM »

I'm surprised to see Okami come up so much in here, but I'm happy to see it come up so often in the GOTY thread. What a curious game.

I thought RocketSlime on the DS was tremendously bad but I had no expectations for it so I wouldn't call it the most disappointing.

I guess I'll say Rise of Legends. RoN was one of my all time favorite RTS's and RoL was so sluggish and just dead on arrival. I only played it for a couple hours. Maybe I'll go back when I get a new PC but I kinda doubt it.
Natjak
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 01, 2006, 03:47:54 AM »

I'll agree wholeheartedly with Kingdom Hearts II. Can you say boring?

Runner up is Dead Rising, so much wasted potential.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 01, 2006, 03:50:54 AM »

Quote from: rrmorton on December 01, 2006, 03:42:48 AM

I'm surprised to see Okami come up so much in here, but I'm happy to see it come up so often in the GOTY thread. What a curious game.

I agree about Okami.  I have never played it but it seems to be very polarizing.  I see it alot in both threads. 

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: December 01, 2006, 04:35:09 AM »

Do I have to pick just one?

I was super disappointed in Age of Empires III.

On the 360 I'd say Madden '07 is the biggest one. I was hoping it would be the first "complete" next gen version of the game. Instead it's still a completely broken version of the previous gen games with better graphics. No thanks.

Over G Fighters is a good pick, though I played through a lot of it because I'm a whore for games involving fighter planes.

I installed Empire at War and only played it once, so I guess that says something.

But I think for overall true disappointment in a title that I really wanted to be excellent.. I have to go with the Dead Rising crowd. The save system killed the game for me.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 01, 2006, 04:47:28 AM »

I'll put in MLB 2K6 for the 360.  What high hopes I had - baseball gaming in HD, previews looked good... only to find out it was a candy coated turd. It hurt even more since it was the only baseball game available on the 360. 

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 01, 2006, 06:24:33 AM »

resident evil for the DS....the re-issue of the original PS1 game,but with some added stuff......damn,didnt realise how bad that game was

(glad they kept the corny intro though)

i liked bully,thought it was good,and COD3 had a so-so single player,but its the best xbox live game out there...not touched kingdom hearts 2 yet..still wanna finish the first one

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 01, 2006, 07:01:54 AM »

Wow, this is going to be a long list until I can pare it down and figure some stuff out. So, in no particular order:

Madden 2007: I wanted to like this, I tired to like this. I gave it time (halfway through my third franchise season), plenty of play online. The game presentation is awful. The tackling isn't bad. Online play is ruined by teams with overpowered statistics, and incredibly lame/cheese plays to complete long bombs 75% or more of the time. The franchise mode is easy to exploit to sign premium players. The game needs a lot of help.

Okami: I hyped myself up about this game sooo much. I really wanted it, really wanted to like it, and a friend was very very kind to surprise me with it for a birthday present. The problem is, in my mind they took all the potential and made it a long, confusing, frightfully boring Zelda clone. I tried and tried, and eventually played for about 9 hours. I couldn't get into it.

Splinter Cell: Double Agent: This is what happens when the team that designed Pandora Tomorrow gets their hands on the first next-gen splinter cell. Omniscient guard AI, brutally unforgiving detection system. Double Agent system that just isn't relevant or important. Horribly, horribly designed and implemented multiplayer.

GRAW: Almost there. Really, almost there. The interface was slow and clunky, aiming was off, the single player campaign had too much boredom and repetition mixed in with its fantastic moments, the multiplayer shipped with insufficient maps and game modes, the online lobby just stunk, and the game was never what it could have been to me.

More to come.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 01, 2006, 01:51:30 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on December 01, 2006, 03:50:54 AM

Quote from: rrmorton on December 01, 2006, 03:42:48 AM

I agree about Okami.  I have never played it but it seems to be very polarizing.  I see it alot in both threads. 

okami - video game as watercolor rorschach?...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
DonD

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 01, 2006, 01:59:14 PM »

Quote from: warning on November 30, 2006, 03:12:12 PM

My console disappointment was Dead Rising.  They managed to take a game concept that sounded like fun on crack (zombies in a shopping mall?  genius!) and hamper it with an obnoxious save system and frustrating game mechanics.

+1

XBox Live: DonDesio
PSN: DonD_GT
The_Man

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 01, 2006, 03:19:17 PM »

Without question the most disappointing game of the year for me was Madden 07 on the 360.  Basically you can lump NCAA 07 in there as well since they were built off the same engine.  Simply horrible representations of the game of football.  None of the Maddens have ever been perfect and I loved 06 on the Xbox, but EA has completely ruined my two favorite sports franchises.  I went back and bought both games on the Xbox and they were fantastic...almost like two different companies made them.

What's sad is that we have to deal with EA's exclusivity bullshit for another 4 years.   mad
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 01, 2006, 05:38:12 PM »

I don't even know where to begin... I've been disappointed A LOT this year.  Nearly every single "major" 360 release disappointed me.

Dead Rising - Probably tops the list.  Everyone here has mentioned why... took a no brainer "fun" game and ruined it by stupid fuck ass design decisions.

Madden 2007 - NCAA was so good... how could this be so bad?  HOW?  IT'S THE SAME BLOODY ENGINE.  Yargh.

MLB2K7 - ZOMGZ BROKEN.  Seriously.  Sucked.  Sucked so bad I spent all my baseball time ON THE FRIGGIN PS2.  I hate you, 2K, for making me fore go HD baseball for PS2 480i baseball.  You sirs, are assholes.

Gears of War - I know I'm in the minority on this one, but it bored the crap out of me.  The gameplay was repetitive and the lack of story made me ill.

I reserve the right to add more later.

gellar

mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: December 02, 2006, 01:06:20 AM »

I can not pick THE most disappointing, but I can pick several.

Chromehounds-Only thing that looked good in that game as the mechs themselves.  The rest sucked to me.

Splinter Cell DA-can't believe they cannot fix the shooting mechanic.  Slow as molasses. 

Dead Rising-the first 'boss' fight against the guy in the food court ruined it for me.  Didn't play another minute after that. 

And BFME2.  Truth is I have gotten to where I can't stand strategy games anymore.  Seems to require little to no strategy to play them anymore.  Just over power them with numbers.  Hate hate hate that. 

I could go on and on with honorable mentions but what's the point.  All I can say is that the vast majority of what I played this year were not keepers to me.  But I must say that I for one liked Shadow of the Colossus.  I would have like many things to be different, but it kept me riveted til the end for some reason.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 05, 2006, 01:13:15 PM »

We have a new contender: Guitar Hero II

I do not dig the song selection thus far. I have blazed through whatever song sets to get to Sweet Child of Mine and then what happens? A craptacular cover.  CRAPTACULAR!

Ditto Cherry Pie.

Thus far there are no songs that I haven't heard before that have me like: Man that's a cool song! Like the first game.

I'm sadly dissappointed in this game.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 05, 2006, 01:28:19 PM »

Oh man!

I completely forgot about MLB 2k7!  -  I know why too.  It was so insanely bad, I blocked it out of my mind.  My list is now up to three, as this joins AoE3 and RoL.

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 05, 2006, 02:07:06 PM »

Heh - I forgot about Chromehounds.  That one was actually very disappointing, as it was a ton of fun when you actually played a game vs another team.

Unfortunately, I think I did that about a half dozen times total.

gellar
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 05, 2006, 03:50:24 PM »

Quote from: ATB on December 05, 2006, 01:13:15 PM

We have a new contender: Guitar Hero II

I do not dig the song selection thus far. I have blazed through whatever song sets to get to Sweet Child of Mine and then what happens? A craptacular cover.  CRAPTACULAR!

Ditto Cherry Pie.

Thus far there are no songs that I haven't heard before that have me like: Man that's a cool song! Like the first game.

I'm sadly dissappointed in this game.

Huh.  I actually thought the G n' R cover was one of the better ones.  GH II certainly has more than it's share of clunkers (Mother, Killing in the Name Of, & Heart Shaped Box, I'm looking at you), but I don't think Sweet Child of Mine is one of them. 

I didn't like it as much as the first GH, but it certainly doesn't make my "Most Disappointing" list.

EDIT:  Gah, can't spell today.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 05, 2006, 04:36:53 PM »

is it too late for me to say superman returns?....i just bought this game and...damn,its bad

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Mikagami
Gaming Trend Reader

Click Clack Click Clack

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: December 07, 2006, 01:31:01 AM »

Monster Hunter Freedom (PSP)

I figured I would have something fun to play on the PSP, as I sinked countless hours into the PS2 version.
This game promised for you to be able to carry over a partial save via the link cable from the PS2 version into the PSP version. Got scrapped.
It promised a slew of new weapons, armors, missions, features, ect. Half of which got scrapped.
Lastly it promised for you to carry the character FROM the PSP version into the upcoming MH2 PS2 version. MH2 north American release got scrapped.

I got a whole $8 for it as a trade in towards Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth.

Gonna eat your face
DiamondDecision
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: December 07, 2006, 09:31:40 AM »

Of course all those suxed, they were sports titles.  Roll Eyes

Quote from: jblank on November 30, 2006, 01:14:52 PM

In order:

Madden 2007 (360)
NCAA Football 2007 (PSP)
Fight Night Round 3 (PSP)
World Series of Poker: TOC (360)
Test Drive Unlimited (360)
Table Tennis (360)
DiamondDecision
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 07, 2006, 09:35:16 AM »

I've gotta agree here on both counts.  I tried sooooooooooooo hard to like Oblivion and just got BORED out of my skull - couldn't figure out what to do and where to go to do it.  Sux.

Chromehounds needs no explanation.

Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter (360) just flat suxed because of the control scheme.  Honestly, how much buttons and button combos do you need for a game?  That game should be played with a keyboard and a mouse.  Too hard.

Quote from: Starshifter on November 30, 2006, 02:40:15 PM

I'm going to anger a few here with this one:  Oblivion

But, I'm still trying my best to get into it.  I'm planning on picking it back up very soon.

Another disappointment:  Chromehounds

I never bought it after hearing that it was just a glorified multiplayer game.  No story = no good to me.  And I was really pumped to pick this one up.  I hate multiplayer.  I'm actually considering dropping to silver on Xbox Live this coming year and save the $50.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: