http://gamingtrend.com
July 29, 2014, 07:20:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: lego star wars II impressions  (Read 1636 times)
metallicorphan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: September 11, 2006, 06:52:32 PM »

i got this on sunday for the 360(it was released early on the friday here,shoulda been the monday)

has anyone else got this?

the game is great fun,nice puzzles in fact the puzzles have me stumped for a while ...but i find that if a just blast everything in sight the answer usually comes,only on episode 5 at the moment,the game consists of episodes 4,5 and 6

graphics are nice and shiney,but then again it is the 360 version,but the best thing about it is the comedy about the games
leia unable to put the data disc in to R2 at the beginning of a new hope so she flips his lid and throws it in there like R2 is a trash can

fedora hat dropping down on han solo....and the fact that every time your gang uses the grapple hook,han always ends up flat on his face

this time you can ride animals and vehicles more,some levels are vehicles only:-battle of hoth,death star level

my only problem with the game is that the camera could give you more freeway,all you can do is just move it slightly to the left and right,oh and sometimes you fall into hard to see pits

i am thinking maybe this game was more aimed at my age group(30)....or at least not kids but those who grew up with the original star wars trilogy and were around when they all got released for the first time.....despite the look of cutesy lego star wars

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2006, 06:56:53 PM »

since i got my new DS Lite today, i'm interested in impressions of the DS.  i loved the Xbox original and if it's more of the same, i'll be sure to grab it too.

JLu

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2006, 07:03:10 PM »

Impressions?  What, already??  I'm jealous.  I'll be getting it this weekend, but not before.  My wife enjoyed playing the first one together, so this one will be a must.

XBox Live Gamertag: JLu
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2006, 05:47:05 AM »

yeah sorry ,i heard that the US get this game today(i think)....if you like anything to do with star wars i think you will really like it anyway

corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2006, 07:16:48 AM »

What's the free play like?

I'm definitely picking this one as well.. ToysRus has a promotion where if you buy any of the console versions you get a $5 toysrus (starwars label) gift card to go with it.
Think Target might be doing something similiar.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2006, 07:19:30 PM »

sorry only been playing the story mode up to now,and i stick with what i say,i dont think this game is aimed at kids....i keep getting stuck!!!,LOL

corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2006, 04:52:38 AM »

I picked up the PS2 version today.. feels a lot like the first game, but just as with that game, is it just me or does your AI partner not do a THING to help you out in battle?
All he does is follow me around doing absolutely nothing combat-wise, just like the first lego star wars.
WTF?!

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2006, 12:47:28 PM »

I'll go on the record and say this game is about 100x better then the first one.  I hated Episodes I-III, so that has a lot to do with it.  Playing with movie characters I liked as a kid makes the game.

The levels are much, much bigger now it seems, as well as much better designed.  The ship combat levels also are a lot more fun, and more free flowing.  I like the shooting characters better as well, as they actually dodge fire this time, and all have fun little moves.

---
XBox Live: ScottW
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2006, 04:03:53 PM »

which system are you playing it on Scott?

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2006, 04:40:49 PM »

Quote from: corruptrelic on September 13, 2006, 04:52:38 AM

I picked up the PS2 version today.. feels a lot like the first game, but just as with that game, is it just me or does your AI partner not do a THING to help you out in battle?
All he does is follow me around doing absolutely nothing combat-wise, just like the first lego star wars.
WTF?!

stop picking c-3p0 as your partner.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2006, 05:32:20 PM »

Quote from: corruptrelic on September 13, 2006, 04:52:38 AM

WTF?!

It doesn't seem like they're not doing anything, but it does seem like they're completely ineffective.  However, that may be necessary for the play balance.  You really have to switch characters a lot more than you did in the last one.  And the lightsabers are fairly useless, battle-wise.

The fights are tough, too (at least the big ones).  Generally, they are fair, but
Spoiler for Hiden:
the damn AT-ST in Mos Eisley seems to stomp you and then shoot before you have a chance to do anything.
  I don't think I'll even be trying for the "undefeated" achievements on the 360.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2006, 07:06:50 PM »

I'm playing on the 360.  The game looks very nice, and I haven't seen any slow down yet.  Its very crisp, quite an improvement from playing on the PS2 or XBox for the last game.

I think the dumb AI is just for play balance.  If the AI helped, the game would be to easy.  As it stands, the AI helps enough, grabbing levers when it needs to, or standing in the right spot.  Its very similar to the last game.

---
XBox Live: ScottW
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2006, 02:59:33 AM »

Well it looks like the AI is useless after all.

In the latest issue of OPM, they reviewed it and said the AI was ineffective and frustrating, giving several examples of puzzle solving and how you had to constantly swtich players.
And even worse, your AI partners may shoot at the enemy, but they do no damage at all.
On top of that, the enemy AI only attacks the player you are controlling.

That did it for me and thus, the reason I put it in the trades section. Even the dumbed down AI in Star Wars BF2 still actually did damage to the enemy.

I guess it really depends on the type of person.. I like having companions and squadmates do some of the work (in any games) while others would rather go solo.

Shame too, game had a lot of potential.

Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2006, 04:22:10 AM »

Playing co-op with a friend is a great time with this game.

On the undefeated achievements... these are easier to get than you might think.  Just involves
Spoiler for Hiden:
unlocking the ghost characters.  Then all you have to worry about is not falling into pits/water/quicksand

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2006, 04:36:01 PM »

I'm having a great time with this game, but the camera is driving me insane.  I was falling off unseen ledges in the ESB levels at a ridiculous rate.  It's much more challenging than I expected, and some of the puzzles have taken serious brainpower.  I doubt I'll play through it more than once, but it's certainly a fun little diversion.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2006, 07:21:22 PM »

just finished the story modes,took me 9.30 hrs,LOL....got 46% so now to try for the extra stuff

lex
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2006, 02:54:07 AM »

Quote from: Scott on September 13, 2006, 07:06:50 PM

I'm playing on the 360.  The game looks very nice, and I haven't seen any slow down yet.  Its very crisp, quite an improvement from playing on the PS2 or XBox for the last game.

I think the dumb AI is just for play balance.  If the AI helped, the game would be to easy.  As it stands, the AI helps enough, grabbing levers when it needs to, or standing in the right spot.  Its very similar to the last game.

Having just finished the game, I do think the AI is a step back from the first Lego Star Wars.  There are parts in the game where you are required to activiate two switches at the same time.  For the most part in the original Lego Star Wars, your partner was smart enough to go to the other switch.  In this one, they are 'late' in realizing it sometimes and you have to hit the switch twice.

I didn't notice if my AI character did any damage because they rarely fired their weapon!!!!  And if they did, it was to hit me back becuase I had accidentally hit them.  But something I realized playing through.  If you DON'T move your character while attacking, they should automatically dodge most of the shots and still kill everything (the game auto-aims for you!!!)

Spoiler for Hiden:

This was especially annoying during the Vader / Luke fight against the emperor.  The emperor would lightning hit whichever character I was controlling or force choke me and the AI controlled character just ran around and did nothing.  I had to use two controllers so that while one was being screwed over by the emperor I picked up the other controller to attack him.  ARGH!!!

The other annoying mission was the very last mission to take out the core.  That actually had be wanting to throw my controller.

BUT....even with the negatives, I'm going through freeplay to collect all of the canisters and extras that I missed!!!
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2006, 10:18:50 AM »

Quote from: lex on September 21, 2006, 02:54:07 AM

Quote from: Scott on September 13, 2006, 07:06:50 PM

Having just finished the game, I do think the AI is a step back from the first Lego Star Wars.  There are parts in the game where you are required to activiate two switches at the same time.  For the most part in the original Lego Star Wars, your partner was smart enough to go to the other switch.  In this one, they are 'late' in realizing it sometimes and you have to hit the switch twice.

I didn't notice if my AI character did any damage because they rarely fired their weapon!!!!  And if they did, it was to hit me back becuase I had accidentally hit them.  But something I realized playing through.  If you DON'T move your character while attacking, they should automatically dodge most of the shots and still kill everything (the game auto-aims for you!!!)

Spoiler for Hiden:

This was especially annoying during the Vader / Luke fight against the emperor.  The emperor would lightning hit whichever character I was controlling or force choke me and the AI controlled character just ran around and did nothing.  I had to use two controllers so that while one was being screwed over by the emperor I picked up the other controller to attack him.  ARGH!!!

The other annoying mission was the very last mission to take out the core.  That actually had be wanting to throw my controller.

BUT....even with the negatives, I'm going through freeplay to collect all of the canisters and extras that I missed!!!

Spoiler for Hiden:
when i was being hit by forced lightning i just ran over to the other(luke or vader depending)and press Y to switch,then smack the hell out of the emperor while he was still forced lightning the other

so,ok Travellers Tales...i now want lord of the rings lego....or better still the godfather movies in lego...i can already picture sonnys(james caan) face at the toll,LOL

Lee

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2006, 04:33:48 AM »

Anyone know of a site that tells you what the "extras" do? Like extra toggle? What is that? What's the point of having Chewy carry C3-PO? Etc.
godhugh

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2006, 06:53:15 PM »

Quote from: Lee on October 10, 2006, 04:33:48 AM

Anyone know of a site that tells you what the "extras" do? Like extra toggle? What is that? What's the point of having Chewy carry C3-PO? Etc.

I know the answer to your last question. C3-PO can't jump, if Chewy carries him he can.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: