http://gamingtrend.com
April 16, 2014, 08:47:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: LEGO Lord of The Rings Announced  (Read 1148 times)
EddieA
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: June 02, 2012, 12:45:47 PM »

I've been hoping this was coming.  The game will be out in the fall, and like LEGO Batman 2, it will feature real voices for the characters.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2012, 01:15:55 PM »

I've generally been rather 'meh' on these Lego games, but that looks pretty awesome.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2012, 01:55:42 PM »

I've liked the Lego games, but they only very recently clicked for me (it was the realization that using the red brick "cheats" weren't actually cheating and were in fact an intended part of gameplay).

I'd heard this one was probably coming, and I can't wait!

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2012, 02:45:37 PM »

Looks like they are no longer "Legolus".  icon_cool

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2012, 04:14:04 PM »

IN!  Can't get enough of these Lego games.  Although, for some reason I haven't played the Harry Potter ones.  Need to rectify that.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2012, 04:25:29 PM »

I was super excited for this one when I first heard about it, but I really dislike how they are using the voices from the movies in the trailer (and I'm assuming in the game).  That serious acting doesn't fit well with the normal TT Games slapstick LEGO take on the property to me.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2012, 06:02:37 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on June 02, 2012, 04:14:04 PM

IN!  Can't get enough of these Lego games.  Although, for some reason I haven't played the Harry Potter ones.  Need to rectify that.

The Harry Potter ones are my favorites.

Quote from: EngineNo9 on June 02, 2012, 04:25:29 PM

I was super excited for this one when I first heard about it, but I really dislike how they are using the voices from the movies in the trailer (and I'm assuming in the game).  That serious acting doesn't fit well with the normal TT Games slapstick LEGO take on the property to me.

I find it a little jarring, too.  The trailer is also light on humor and the quirky lightheartedness that the games are known for (I think there's only one moment, actually).

EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2012, 07:58:44 PM »

Mixing dramatic, serious voice acting and slapstick humor could be great if they do it well.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2012, 07:33:26 AM »

There's a demo available now for PC and XBox, and it covers the battle of Helm's Deep.  It plays pretty much how you'd expect, and it looks really nice, but I was surprised by how serious it is.  The demo was a pretty faithful recreation of the movie, with only a few attempts at humor.  It wasn't what I was expecting, but it was still great fun to play.  It's oddly thrilling to see huge armies of LEGO characters fight in epic battles.

Reemul

Knock Knock

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2012, 09:30:25 AM »

I found the speech in Batman 2 really enhanced the game as I played Batman 1 after and the missing speech really made a difference.

Looking forward to Lego Lotr

Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2012, 12:42:53 PM »

Looked for the demo on 360... can't find it. Found a page for it on xbox.com, but no link for downloading.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2012, 12:56:11 PM »

Quote from: Jarrodhk on October 31, 2012, 12:42:53 PM

Looked for the demo on 360... can't find it. Found a page for it on xbox.com, but no link for downloading.

I played the PC version.  When I saw the xbox.com link, I assumed it was available there too.  It should be coming soon, though.

Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2012, 01:17:30 PM »

It sucks that this was delayed until Nov 13th for the Xbox/PS3/Wii and PC. frown

It did come out today for the Vita, DS and 3DS. I got the Vita version and it is pretty cool. It has the free-roam world just like the console/PC version. I don't know if the 3DS and DS versions have that though.

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2012, 04:07:30 PM »

if you are buying this game for Xbox 360,make sure that the proper disc is in the box,some copies are being sold with the demo disc inside

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2012/11/13/lego-the-lord-of-the-rings-recalled.aspx

If you're picking up Lego The Lord of the Rings today for the Xbox 360, you're going to want to open the case before you leave the store. It appears that some of the game boxes contain a demo disc for the game instead of the actual game.

Our own Andrew Reiner went to buy the game this morning, and he was told by the clerk that it had been recalled. He headed to another store, and the case did indeed contain the demo disc. The clerk there then opened the cases for the entire shipment and they were all the same.

The issue doesn't seem to be affecting the PS3 version of Lego The Lord of the Rings.

We've reached out to Warner Bros. Interactive to see if this issue affects the entire pressing, or if it was caught before then. In the meantime, be sure to crack open the box and check before you head home.

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2012, 07:39:35 PM »

It looks like the disc may be the full game and only the label is wrong.  Also, the PC download version has been delayed.  It's not yet up on Steam and Greenman Gaming doesn't know when they'll get their keys frown

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2012, 08:36:08 PM »

Strange, theres not a single review of this on Metacritic so far, and I've heard nothing about it other than the disc issue.  Is it awful or something?

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2012, 09:19:48 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on November 18, 2012, 08:36:08 PM

Strange, theres not a single review of this on Metacritic so far, and I've heard nothing about it other than the disc issue.  Is it awful or something?

I've played up through Rivendell (till just after "And my axe"), and I think it is absolutely fantastic so far.  Gorgeous to look at, and it has some surprising depth, too, for a Lego game.  Not to say it has an incredible combat system or a tiered leveling system or anything.  It's still a Lego game, but, for example,  there are quests that pop up in the open world that look like they need you to replay missions to finish.  Normally, that would bother me, but Lego games basically require insane completionists like me to play every level at least twice anyway, so this adds a more compelling reason to do so.

I think part of the reason for the delayed reviews (apart from the time of year and people more anxious to see BLOPS and Halo reviews) is that this game is massive.   One incredible thing is that so far I can walk from Hobbiton to Rivendell. As you're walking in-game you trigger cut-scenes and levels, of course, but afterwards you can head forward or back the way you came.  This may well mean that, from The Shire, one can simply walk into Mordor.  

And along the way, there is just a shit-ton to do.  Things to collect, stuff to open and find and unlock, many of which you can't until you have a certain character or item.  All of it enticing you to come back as soon as you can.  Honestly, my party just expanded exponentially after Rivendell (all 9 in the Fellowhip), and having Gimli, Legolas, and Gandalf means that I have a lot to go back and pick through.  I had to stop before heading back and scratching that collection itch or I would have been at it for hours.

The dialogue seems to be lifted directly from the movies, so there's some background noise that cuts in and out at times.  The humor is still present, too, but not to the same degree as in previous games.  I was worried about this, but so far, I haven't been disappointed.

There are an incredible amount of games out now, as we all know.  I have found myself putting Halo, BLOPS, AssCreed and others on hold as I keep wanting to get back to this game.  It's a more time-consuming than previous ones, so I've had to take breaks, which'll give me a better balance, but it doesn't change the fact that I keep coming back to it.

EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2012, 12:00:34 AM »

Between the mislabeled XBox 360 discs, the last-minute indefinite delay of the PC version, and the lack of reviews, this has been one of the worst game launches I've ever seen.  The 3DS and Vita versions came out a few weeks ago, and even they don't have any reviews listed on Metacritic.  It's not like the game is bad either, which makes this ninja-like stealth release seem even stranger.

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2012, 01:56:46 PM »

Eurogamer review-9/10

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2012, 02:05:59 PM »

Thanks Eddie.  I'd held off simply because the lack of any feedback on the game in the media seemed rather ominous, but I think I'll give it a shot.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2012, 02:21:08 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on November 20, 2012, 01:56:46 PM

GamesRadar 4/5

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2012, 07:38:48 PM »

Crawley posted about his first impressions here, and they're pretty similar to my own, although I'm playing single player.  I wasn't crazy about the opening sequence of running around aimlessly hitting things until a cutscene started.  When I got to The Shire, I wandered around aimlessly and it took me forever to figure out how to progress to an actual quest.  Still a little confused by the map system, but that probably just takes some getting used to.

Maybe it's because I'm so familiar with the films, but all the transitions to the voiced cutscenes feel incredibly awkward (going from sneaking hobbits to Gandalf vs. Saruman was particularly jarring), as do the way they've edited them   I think I liked it better when the characters were simply grumbling incoherently. 

May stick this one on the back burner until I finish a couple other things.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2012, 02:35:04 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on November 20, 2012, 02:21:08 PM

Quote from: metallicorphan on November 20, 2012, 01:56:46 PM

GamesRadar 4/5

Gamespot 8.5/10
GameInformer 8.5/10
The humor and gameplay mix well with the setting, making the most impressive Lego game to date

EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2012, 06:11:13 AM »

The PC version is now available on Steam if you have a key.  I'm assuming it will go on sale on Tuesday once the big sale is over.

Greggy_D

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2012, 07:37:24 PM »

The PC digital version is $7.50 today on Amazon.

Key allows you to download from Steam.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: