http://gamingtrend.com
October 20, 2014, 09:00:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lego Batman  (Read 1621 times)
Xmann
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Ironman in training

View Profile
« on: September 26, 2008, 09:39:10 PM »

No impressions?

Anyhow, i know there are peeps put there playing this.   I got it this afternoon and started playing a bit with my son....he loves it.   

Got a question though....early on, i'm seeing hidden pieces and blocks that i can't get to.   Most are behind windows or other obstacles i can't break.   Does this mean i have to replay with other characters after i progress to get these blocks?

PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2008, 09:42:39 PM »

Quote from: Xmann on September 26, 2008, 09:39:10 PM

Got a question though....early on, i'm seeing hidden pieces and blocks that i can't get to.   Most are behind windows or other obstacles i can't break.   Does this mean i have to replay with other characters after i progress to get these blocks?

I think that was the case with Lego Indiana Jones and Lego Star Wars, so while I haven't played Lego Batman, I think the safe assumption is that you'll have to unlock characters with special attributes to take back through in Free-Play.

Or, as they say in Arizona, "Si."

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2008, 10:24:50 PM »

I still haven't gotten to 50% on the other games.  Anyone wants to join up and work through soem block busting, let me know.  Once I finish those two, I'll give Batman a look.  It'll probably be a lot cheaper by then.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

Quote from: McBa1n
http://www.vuvuzela.fm BVVVVVVVVVVVRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2008, 12:53:11 AM »

I absolutely love and adore the LEGO Star Wars games and ESPECIALLY the LEGO Indiana Jones game. It's dazzling. It's also the exact same game, as I suspect LEGO Batman is. I'll pick it up but not this week, and probably not next either. My Fair Lady loves these games because she can play them with me and it's usually pretty funny. To wit:

"Would you please stop Force throwing R2 off the cliff?"

"Hey! Me Obi-Wan, you Luke! Do not attack me!"

"Willie's on fire, hon. She's burning now. No, no. Take your time getting to the switch to pull her up. Her dress is on fire now, sweetie. Hurry if you want to. I'm good. That popping sound you hear is her head exploding. We have all the time in the world."

"Where the HELL do I go from here?"
"Through that door on the left."

And so forth. Good times. I'm looking forward to playing these with my future children. They perfectly capture the soul of their subject matter and are just a ton of fun to play, but I'll admit they all play exactly the same. If you're burned out on Star Wars then definitely play the Indiana Jones one. It's classic. smile

Also, you won't see two thirds of a level the first time you play through it in story. After you unlock everyone, go back in Free Mode and you'll gasp at just how much you missed the first time.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Simon

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2008, 01:14:27 AM »

We've been playing this week. It's more of the same as far as Lego games go, but for us and especially our six-year old that's a good thing. The graphics are a little bit nicer, and it does seem more challenging than previous games for getting all the minikits and bricks. It's very cool that you have separate hero and villain missions.

Anyway, if you love the games then it's a must buy. If you are burnt out on them though don't expect too much to be different.
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2008, 01:08:42 AM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on September 26, 2008, 10:24:50 PM

I still haven't gotten to 50% on the other games.  Anyone wants to join up and work through soem block busting, let me know.  Once I finish those two, I'll give Batman a look.  It'll probably be a lot cheaper by then.

I think Star Wars is the only one with online co-op.

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2008, 07:41:55 AM »

oh, these games are fun?? hmm, damnit, I thought I could get away with buying no games the rest of the year..sigh, littlebig planet, and now some lego games as well? at least, Lego was invented here in DK, so I could claim I was supporting my nation, in case anyone asks...

A new one
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2008, 08:51:15 AM »

You know Lego is going to have a LegoBigPlanet clone with little customizeable lego men and levels all made out of lego bricks.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2008, 03:12:37 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on September 28, 2008, 07:41:55 AM

oh, these games are fun?? hmm, damnit, I thought I could get away with buying no games the rest of the year..sigh, littlebig planet, and now some lego games as well? at least, Lego was invented here in DK, so I could claim I was supporting my nation, in case anyone asks...

Don't get all of them in one shot, though.  There's a sameness to them which is fine spread out over a couple of years, but would not work all at once (honestly, I'm not sure about getting the Batman one so close on the heels of Indy - hell, I'm not even all the way through the SW ones yet).

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2008, 05:16:31 PM »

Quote from: Simon on September 27, 2008, 01:14:27 AM

Anyway, if you love the games then it's a must buy. If you are burnt out on them though don't expect too much to be different.

yeah, the IGN review said it's the same gameplay, but they also have the same problems of the previous games, including the dim witted AI.  That killed the first SW game for me, and as much as I love Indy and Batman I'll wait until Arkham Asylum and the Lucasarts Indy game to come out.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2008, 07:50:34 PM »

Not sure why, but the AI in these games has never bugged me.  They always do pretty much what I want them to do when I want them to do it.  When they don't, it doesn't bother me because the game is so forgiving.  If it was the golden monkey cock level from God of War or something, I guess I would be more critical, but the game is so fun and easy, I don't mind at all.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2008, 09:07:32 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on September 28, 2008, 07:50:34 PM

Not sure why, but the AI in these games has never bugged me.  They always do pretty much what I want them to do when I want them to do it.  When they don't, it doesn't bother me because the game is so forgiving.  If it was the golden monkey cock level from God of War or something, I guess I would be more critical, but the game is so fun and easy, I don't mind at all.

The AI is useless, but not a nuisance usually.  Not much of a problem (unless you feel like the AI should stay in place in a co-op puzzle).  The fact that they're legos probably helps.

whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2008, 04:00:24 AM »

It's a children's game so the AI isn't going to be as advanced as in Oblivion or God of War. That's how I look at it. The AI for your team mates is pretty useless, true, but I liked how they corrected one bit in Indy that was a problem in Star Wars. In Star Wars, the friendly AI attacks the enemy AI with no consequence while the enemy AI solely focuses on attacking you. The friendly AI in Indy can at least stun the enemy AI giving you time to pick and choose your fights. I'm not sure how it is in Batman though.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2008, 01:01:45 PM »

Quote from: whiteboyskim on September 29, 2008, 04:00:24 AM

It's a children's game so the AI isn't going to be as advanced as in Oblivion or God of War.

That doesn't follow when the game makes boatloads of money, though.  Seemingly from a majority of adult players (though I don't remember where I saw that), too.  They need to focus some of that boatload and fix some of the minor problems.  After so many games, they're starting to become more apparent.  Also, they need to change the formula slightly, so that it doesn't feel like the same thing over and over (though playing as the villains in LB certainly is a step in the right direction).

coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2008, 02:10:34 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on September 28, 2008, 07:41:55 AM

oh, these games are fun??

To a lot of people they are fun. To some of us they are the most boring thing we've ever made the mistake of purchasing. Check out a demo first if possible. smile

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
fyedaddy

Ass

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2008, 02:54:16 PM »

I really enjoyed playing through LEGO SW by myself and especially with my daughter but I haven't played it in a long time. As much as I loved Indy when I was a teen, I rented that one upon release and didn't quite get as much out of it as I expected (the 30 minute levels played a part in that). However, being such a huge fan of Batman for the past 25 years I am more than happy to purchase LEGO Batman and play through it even if only to see the Gotham content (though I'd welcome gameplay differences/advances from the previous LEGO games).

I'm happy these games are available but I can certainly see where they will be played out if each release isn't at least somewhat different from the previous.

XBox Live ID: fyedaddy

"I give up - Go with the DS. It's far better."
"Nintendo is King, and anyone who says otherwise is wrong."
 --Devil
Bob

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2008, 02:56:18 PM »

My sons love it.  They weren't that fond of Indy (the levels were pretty sparse, content-wise. I think it was really hampered by trying to stick closely to the movies.) but Batman corrects that problem. It's a great game.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2008, 03:27:35 PM »

Quote from: fyedaddy on September 29, 2008, 02:54:16 PM

I really enjoyed playing through LEGO SW by myself and especially with my daughter but I haven't played it in a long time. As much as I loved Indy when I was a teen, I rented that one upon release and didn't quite get as much out of it as I expected (the 30 minute levels played a part in that). However, being such a huge fan of Batman for the past 25 years I am more than happy to purchase LEGO Batman and play through it even if only to see the Gotham content (though I'd welcome gameplay differences/advances from the previous LEGO games).

I'm happy these games are available but I can certainly see where they will be played out if each release isn't at least somewhat different from the previous.

I guess it's just in the way you play.  I just went through three levels in Indy.  One of them took me an hour and a half, the next an hour, the third 45 minutes.

iloveplywood
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2008, 07:00:44 PM »

These games have been great to play with my 5 year old son.  Indy was fun, but let's face it the unlockable characters in Indy just don't match up to star wars (basically, guys with different hats).  Lego Batman on the other hand is made for this concept.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: