http://gamingtrend.com
November 23, 2014, 02:21:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lego Batman 2: DC Super Heroes  (Read 908 times)
Covenant
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: June 19, 2012, 04:53:59 PM »

Anyone else picking this up today? I don't have kids but have been a longtime fan of the Lego games and this one looks to be the best one yet.  Best new feature, open world exploration of Gotham city rather than the old hub based system they always use for levels.  Second best, play as many of your favorite DC heroes and villians (Superman, Green Lantern, Bane!!)  Third best, fully voice acted rather than the usual mumble dialog.

I won't have time to play until tonight, so I'll try to post some impressions tomorrow.  Oh, there's a demo available for XBox gold members for those on the fence.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2012, 05:24:10 PM »

I'll be picking it up today and playing tonight for sure.  I love the Lego games as well, though for some reason I passed on the Harry Potter ones despite loving Harry Potter.  I was going to rectify that, but then realized Lego Batman 2 was about to come out and so I'd rather play that first, but will get back to the HP ones eventually.  Love that they went with open world...should be much cooler.  Also love that they added other DC heroes.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2012, 05:35:06 PM »

wait, what?  open world?  dangit, this just got on my radar.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Covenant

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2012, 05:52:56 PM »

Yep, I had no plans to pick this up but a buddy mentioned it and I checked it out (I usually buy the lego titles used).  Open world really sold it for me.  The only disappointment is that there's no online co-op right now (just split screen), but I'm hoping they patch it in like they did for some of their other titles.

Oh and Grue, the HP titles were really fun.  The spell and potion systems they put in place added a lot to gameplay.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2012, 06:00:12 PM »

Yeah, the HP ones are my absolute favorites of the Lego games so far, followed by the first Lego Batman.  The LHP 5-7 was close to open world, too, but not nearly as much as what I've heard about LB2.

I'm just waiting anxiously for my UPS delivery from Amazon.  I was hoping it would be here this morning.  I would have been playing all day, if so.  I just hope it doesn't wait until 7, like it often does.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2012, 01:17:47 AM »

damn, saw it mentioned on the PS3 blog that the PSN download is 10 bucks cheaper, but of course that means I'd have to play it on the PS3.  Debating, I noticed it's also out for the PC for only 30 bucks-  knowing the first LEGO Batman game was a mess on the PC I downloaded the demo and found it runs fine, so PC version it is.  not quite sure why it is so much cheaper retail copy of the game but thumbsup to that and re-mappable controls!

Because I can,
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2012, 02:40:45 AM »

My copy should have arrived at home from Amazon today, but I'm not sure if I will start playing now or try to finish Dragon's Dogma.  I wish I knew how far from the end I am in that game...it seems close, but one never knows.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2012, 12:47:52 PM »

Played a bit last night with my daughter. Enjoyed the puzzles so far and the suits. Got to drive around in the Batmobile, which was fun. Good stuff so far. Oh, and the voice work is just fine. Wasn't sure how I'd feel about it as I liked that there were no voiced, but they are well done.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2012, 04:26:29 PM »

Yeah, it's pretty cool.  Played through the first full mission and it was pretty long.  They've added mid-story saves now, though.  A little odd, since I had to quit after starting the first vehicle section, and it also saves at a checkpoint if you exit out.

I've only been in the "open world" once, really (well, I'm in it again now, but I haven't really explored), and so far it feels the same as LHP 5-7 did.  There are explorable sections that are connected to each other.  In LHP, for example, you could wander around London, go down to the train platform, ride it to Hogwarts, then wander into Hogsmead.  There were parts of the world that were story-only.  IIRC, you only moved around on the Hogwarts Express when the story required it (fighting the dementors, for example), but when just wandering you go from the platform in London to the one at Hogwarts immediately.

As I say, I haven't really explored yet, so maybe this one hasn't opened up fully yet (I don't have the map yet, but there is a rotating compass with many icons on it).

The VO work is really good.  Watching the Lego LOTR trailer again, I was saddened by the utter lack of humor (apart from a burp).  No worries on that front here.  The scene where Superman first shows up is hilarious, for example.  Robin has been quite amusing so far, too.  I'm wondering if he'll steal the show.

My only complaint at this point is with the camera.  When in open world mode, you can move the camera around freely, but there's no option to change the way the right stick works vertically.  Aargh!  I hope they patch that.

EDIT: The world definitely opens up more as it goes on.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 04:22:36 AM by Bullwinkle » Logged

EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2012, 07:41:06 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on June 20, 2012, 01:17:47 AM

damn, saw it mentioned on the PS3 blog that the PSN download is 10 bucks cheaper, but of course that means I'd have to play it on the PS3.  Debating, I noticed it's also out for the PC for only 30 bucks-  knowing the first LEGO Batman game was a mess on the PC I downloaded the demo and found it runs fine, so PC version it is.  not quite sure why it is so much cheaper retail copy of the game but thumbsup to that and re-mappable controls!

Any impressions of the PC version, Ceekay?  Steam has it for $26.99, and I'm considering it as long as it's a good port.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2012, 07:52:08 PM »

Quote from: EddieA on June 22, 2012, 07:41:06 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on June 20, 2012, 01:17:47 AM

Any impressions of the PC version, Ceekay?  Steam has it for $26.99, and I'm considering it as long as it's a good port.

I've been waiting for it to hit Steam before I pull the trigger because, even though the demo was a blast, I also wanted to see some actual PC player impressions beforehand and I'm sure the Steam forums will soon have some.  on the plus side the sale is on until Friday, so there is time for such impressions.

Because I can,
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2012, 03:25:20 PM »

Gametrailers review.

Overall they give it a 7.6  which I seems low considering that they seem to like it.

Reemul

Knock Knock

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2012, 05:28:00 PM »

Picked this up on the PC and am playing it with my son and a 360 controller and it play's great.

Only played Lego Star Wars before and this one is much better. Mid game saves makes a massive difference  as does the open world feel. Love the voices and the graphics look great.

Picked it up for 16.99 which is a great price for a new realease.

Reemul

Knock Knock

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2012, 09:32:36 AM »

just to add had my first crash and what a bitch it was, right at the end of fighting the joker and as I was about to win it crashed and I am right back at the start of the level. About 45 minutes to redo.

The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2012, 02:55:31 PM »

Quote from: Reemul on July 01, 2012, 09:32:36 AM

just to add had my first crash and what a bitch it was, right at the end of fighting the joker and as I was about to win it crashed and I am right back at the start of the level. About 45 minutes to redo.

Make sure you Save at every little computer terminal in a level.  Doesn't help you now, but might in the future.

Reemul

Knock Knock

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2012, 03:04:27 PM »

Yeah there didnt seem to be one after getting the
Spoiler for Hiden:
Robin Helicopter until taking on the joker

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2012, 03:49:43 PM »

Quote from: Reemul on July 01, 2012, 03:04:27 PM

Yeah there didnt seem to be one after getting the
Spoiler for Hiden:
Robin Helicopter until taking on the joker

I stopped at that point, too (though by choice).  However, it seemed like I had to start over, but once I got everything going, I was where I had left off, so it was okay.

The game does also automatically save your progress.  TBH, I'm not sure how the save system works, exactly.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: