http://gamingtrend.com
September 02, 2014, 12:25:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Left 4 Dead. You are not ready.  (Read 20650 times)
leo8877
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 06, 2008, 04:29:01 PM »

I doubt it, but I sure hope Valve somewhat supports the Xbox version like i know they will for the PC one frown
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 06, 2008, 04:29:32 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on November 06, 2008, 03:49:22 PM

Quote from: StriderGG on November 06, 2008, 02:35:03 PM

Quote from: Harkonis on November 06, 2008, 01:58:24 PM

Quote from: mikeg on November 06, 2008, 12:10:38 PM

what I want to know before I purchase this game is what is the SP like.  I know it is primarily a 4 person coop game but I believe you can play alone and bots control the other 3 members of your team.  I am anxious to know how well the playing alone part works.

works well, just played the demo

Hark, you are posting the worst first impressions ever! smile

hehehe biggrin

Most of the time that's how my impressions are. smile  By the time I can take my time and write up impressions I'm either over the game and it's negative stuff or I didn't like the game and it's negative stuff.  I like the game so much that it hurts to take the time to type this. Tongue

I will say that having played on both 360 and PC I actually prefer the 360.  Having some freezing and other issues with the PC version.  First time I've played the same game on both platforms and I have to say that although the game looks much better with everythign cranked on PC, I'm preferring the play on the 360 which shocks me as a long time PC user.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 06, 2008, 04:30:25 PM »

but...is it fun?? can I get to kill you? can I eat your brains?

A new one
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 06, 2008, 04:31:23 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on November 06, 2008, 04:29:32 PM

Quote from: leo8877 on November 06, 2008, 03:49:22 PM

Quote from: StriderGG on November 06, 2008, 02:35:03 PM

Quote from: Harkonis on November 06, 2008, 01:58:24 PM

Quote from: mikeg on November 06, 2008, 12:10:38 PM

what I want to know before I purchase this game is what is the SP like.  I know it is primarily a 4 person coop game but I believe you can play alone and bots control the other 3 members of your team.  I am anxious to know how well the playing alone part works.

works well, just played the demo

Hark, you are posting the worst first impressions ever! smile

hehehe biggrin

Most of the time that's how my impressions are. smile  By the time I can take my time and write up impressions I'm either over the game and it's negative stuff or I didn't like the game and it's negative stuff.  I like the game so much that it hurts to take the time to type this. Tongue

I will say that having played on both 360 and PC I actually prefer the 360.  Having some freezing and other issues with the PC version.  First time I've played the same game on both platforms and I have to say that although the game looks much better with everythign cranked on PC, I'm preferring the play on the 360 which shocks me as a long time PC user.

Hark I'm glad to hear that.  I don't to play L4D with the idiot public.  I have been too consumed with FO3 to accept those COD5 invites though, sorry frown
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 06, 2008, 04:44:15 PM »

I was enjoying FO3 as well, but I can't see playing with myself when I could be playing with others  ninja  I'm a social sociopath, not a loner.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 06, 2008, 04:54:25 PM »

seems the kids will have to go without presents this year...pre-ordered the damn game as well...

A new one
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 06, 2008, 04:59:59 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on November 06, 2008, 04:54:25 PM

seems the kids will have to go without presents this year...pre-ordered the damn game as well...

lol!  If you ordered through amazon, they were offering an additional $5 off their already on-sale price.  It was 48.99 shipped for me.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 06, 2008, 05:01:04 PM »

Although I own both and will play some on the PC, I'm having more fun on the 360 version.  The auto-aim more than makes up for the lack of precision on the control pad and I feel much less like I'm playing a game and more like I'm 'there' with the gamepad.  I might try the PC version with the gamepad to see the best of both worlds.

It's kind of irritating that the 360 touts 'HD 1080p' for their games but they aren't really running at that resolution, they are obviously upscaled.  Difference in graphics is pretty huge.  glowy effects are strangely better on the 360.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 06, 2008, 05:15:25 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on November 06, 2008, 04:29:32 PM

Having some freezing and other issues with the PC version.  

i've been hearing that the 'stuttering bug' that's plagued Source engine games has made another comeback with L4D.  it usually gets fixed pretty quickly but I'm not sure why they cannot fix it before releasing stuff.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 06, 2008, 05:24:51 PM »

Just got some time in with the Steam version demo.

icon_eek

Fucking awesome.

Great character models and animations. The zombies lumber about as you'd expect UNTIL they decide you have live brains ... then they turn in Carl f'ing Lewis en route to their dinner. The gore is through the roof. A shotgun blast can blow off limbs, or decapitate. A .45 caliber pistol shot to the head will drop a common zombie, spraying blood on the wall behind it. The 'basic' weapons are not toned down as in most shooters, but have a real punch to them.

I found a molotov cocktail right away, and that can light up a whole room full of zombies (save it for a crowded indoor room for a sight you won't soon forget).  

You can become 'subdued' and a teammate will have to help you up.

There's a really cool animation for healing ... let's say you get a health pack, you have to apply it (either to yourself or a teammate) and there's a full blown 3rd person animation of the bandaging process, and your teammates need to cover you during that time.

Can't wait for the real deal.

for mikeg, I tried the solo play (bots taking over teammates) and it seemed to work fine, you should be ok. I understand you not wanting to play with random retards, but I'm not sure why you won't play with some fellow GT'ers  smile Anyway, the A.I. seems competent to me so far.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: November 06, 2008, 05:28:02 PM »

Just played the demo as well *pants heavily* damn that was explosive action...

unfortunately, I have serious performance hits when the zombies swarm me...justlocks down for a sec or two, and then works fine again... is this the bug you were talking about?

anyways, I'm up for some Mp'ing someday soon!!

A new one
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 06, 2008, 05:32:03 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on November 06, 2008, 05:28:02 PM

Just played the demo as well *pants heavily* damn that was explosive action...

unfortunately, I have serious performance hits when the zombies swarm me...justlocks down for a sec or two, and then works fine again... is this the bug you were talking about?

No, I think he's referring to the audio stuttering bug that has been part of Valve/Source games for years.  For your problem, did you adjust any vid settings? go into options and then Advanced settings and try lowering some stuff. For me it had enabled 4x AA by default.

Btw, everyone should read the initial few posts in this thread. Loads of info and things I didn't know about the game:

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=535896

MP is gonna freakin' rock.

cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 06, 2008, 05:34:28 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on November 06, 2008, 04:29:01 PM

I doubt it, but I sure hope Valve somewhat supports the Xbox version like i know they will for the PC one frown
They can't. They can directly support the PC. They cannot directly support the Xbox - that has to go through Microsoft.

PC > consoles Tongue.
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 06, 2008, 05:35:24 PM »

Here's an interesting tip I picked up from the thread I linked above:

- There is a melee attack with your weapon that does some minimal damage, but its important aspect is that it pushes the infected back. Tactical uses of this become apparant with the knowledge that pushing one into another will cause both to fall down, and domino effects are quite in play. Also, the only way to effectively combat some of the Boss-Infected without hurting your teammates is to melee them away before using the more deadly aspects of your chosen weapon.

So, there is friendly fire too. I got a warning in a firefight to not shoot my teammates. I foresee some PK griefing in random mp games.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 06, 2008, 05:39:08 PM »

Quote from: Jeff Jones on November 06, 2008, 05:35:24 PM

- There is a melee attack with your weapon that does some minimal damage, but its important aspect is that it pushes the infected back. Tactical uses of this become apparant with the knowledge that pushing one into another will cause both to fall down, and domino effects are quite in play. Also, the only way to effectively combat some of the Boss-Infected without hurting your teammates is to melee them away before using the more deadly aspects of your chosen weapon.

So, there is friendly fire too. I got a warning in a firefight to not shoot my teammates. I foresee some PK griefing in random mp games.

I'd like to apologize in advance to ROTC for that time that I shot him in the back of the head when he walked into my line of fire  icon_twisted

Because I can,
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 06, 2008, 06:20:02 PM »

a friend of mine has just posted this in another forum i visit(thanks Bobblehead)

http://www.gamestop.com/gs/landing/l4dearly/default.aspx
Just put in some random numbers that go along with their format.
Ex.
12345/01-044
You have to have the '/01-044' though, you can randomly put numbers in it and it will give you a beta key to your email address. =]
You're welcome.

i have just tried this(it gives you a choice between PC and 360)..it said thanks and the email was to be sent out starting from the 5th Nov,i havent got the email yet..but its worth a try

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
ROTC1983

Is it really that Kampfy?

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 06, 2008, 07:15:40 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 06, 2008, 05:39:08 PM

Quote from: Jeff Jones on November 06, 2008, 05:35:24 PM

I'd like to apologize in advance to ROTC for that time that I shot him in the back of the head when he walked into my line of fire  icon_twisted

Oh boy..you just wait Ceekay Werewolf

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 06, 2008, 07:38:40 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on November 06, 2008, 06:20:02 PM

a friend of mine has just posted this in another forum i visit(thanks Bobblehead)

http://www.gamestop.com/gs/landing/l4dearly/default.aspx
Just put in some random numbers that go along with their format.
Ex.
12345/01-044
You have to have the '/01-044' though, you can randomly put numbers in it and it will give you a beta key to your email address. =]
You're welcome.

i have just tried this(it gives you a choice between PC and 360)..it said thanks and the email was to be sent out starting from the 5th Nov,i havent got the email yet..but its worth a try

nice way to possibly screw some people out of their early access.  thank god the key they send you is 50 characters long so it's less likely someone will hit one by chance.

Because I can,
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 06, 2008, 08:14:04 PM »

Odd, my key was 5 sets of 5
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 06, 2008, 09:22:10 PM »

Don't startle the witch!  icon_eek
ROTC1983

Is it really that Kampfy?

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 06, 2008, 10:11:32 PM »

Yeah...the witch is psycho!  eek

Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 07, 2008, 12:15:49 AM »

I have not read this tread due to time constraints but was wondering if there will be any GT play sessions once this hits Steam. I plan at this time to get it and would like to co-op with my fellow GTrs.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Gertbeef
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 07, 2008, 12:50:11 AM »

Got home from work and was excited to try this out but every time I fire it up Steam gives me an error saying it is currently unavailable, is everyone getting this? Doesn't give much info so I'm wondering if they pulled it because of an issue for a while or if I just have a local problem of some sorts.

Anxious to play this.
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 07, 2008, 01:24:32 AM »

Quote from: Gertbeef on November 07, 2008, 12:50:11 AM

Got home from work and was excited to try this out but every time I fire it up Steam gives me an error saying it is currently unavailable, is everyone getting this? Doesn't give much info so I'm wondering if they pulled it because of an issue for a while or if I just have a local problem of some sorts.

Anxious to play this.

Yeah, the server was down for me too. You can still play sp mode though. I tell you, the buddy A.I. is pretty damn good!
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 07, 2008, 02:09:39 AM »

played some of the SP and it was pretty fun.  I've got everything maxed out and noticed only a stutter or two but nothing major.  I really wish they had put in iron sights though.

Because I can,
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: November 07, 2008, 12:12:43 PM »

I had a chance to play over STEAM last night.  Played about 4 pickup games with random people.  As much as I play multiplayer games, you would think it wouldn't surprise me anymore... but I still get pleasantly surprised when I actually run into congenial, nice people that talk like regular human beings and are actually fun to game with.  Out of the 4 games I joined, 2 were like this.  Anyway...

The problem we (me and the people I was speaking to during game setups) encountered was that the servers were just not up to the task of all the people trying to play.  You would get so far into the map, and then it would just up and crash.  It happened all 4 times I tried it.  I get easily frustrated with crap like that, so I went and finished the single player portion just to see what it was like.

In general this isn't really my type of game, but overall it was fun.  Helping out teammates that get pinned by Hunters and occurances like that is pretty cool.  The single player A.I. teammates seem to be relatively capable to be honest, which is great for people that want to play this game single player.  The intitial set of guns aren't anything to write home about, but as you get further in, you get some upgraded guns that are more fun to kill things with.

I do think playing with friends is (as usual) where a lot of gamers will find the most enjoyment.

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: November 07, 2008, 03:21:03 PM »

good thing firendly fire doesn't do much damage as I cannot see people avoiding it when the zombies swarm on you.  I haven't had a chance to play with anyone but the AI, but I can see people jumping into the fray and getting hit alot.

I finally encountered a Witch last night-  couldn't avoid her actually as she was planted in the corridor that led to the final section of the second level and it doesn't appear there is an alternate route.  I assume we killed her as she leaped up just as a zombie wave triggered and no one went down.  oh, andam I doing something wrong with the pipe bombs?  I'll throw it at an oncoming horde yet the fuse seems to be so long almost all of them will be dead or past it before it goes off.  as it stands I just pass them up for others and grab molotovs cocktails.

oh, and where are the machetes?

Because I can,
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 07, 2008, 05:01:42 PM »

From what I saw of pipe bombs, the zombies seem to be attracted to them. Either the beeping signal, the flashing light, or something. The couple of times I threw one, a mob of zombies swarmed to it, and then were evaporated upon explosion.

I played through the demo several times, and loved it. I think this will be one of the best co-op shooters in years. It really captures the feel of being in Dawn of the Dead.
lildrgn

It's not the years, it's the mileage.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: November 08, 2008, 04:00:05 PM »

I hit the download link on Steam and it didn't work. Does it only download if my computer can run it?

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: November 08, 2008, 06:11:32 PM »

Quote from: lildrgn on November 08, 2008, 04:00:05 PM

I hit the download link on Steam and it didn't work. Does it only download if my computer can run it?

No other steam games have been like that, in my experience.  I can't imagine this game would work like that as well.
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: November 08, 2008, 06:28:38 PM »

Steam has been having server issues lately, since the L4D demo launch. Hell, last night, I tried to load Fallout 3, a single-player game, and received the message "this game is not available right now. please try again later"  WTF?
happydog

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: November 08, 2008, 07:51:09 PM »

I had the same issue. Click the "Install Now" button and the page just refreshes.

LiveTAG: happydog
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: November 08, 2008, 09:27:00 PM »

Quote from: happydog on November 08, 2008, 07:51:09 PM

I had the same issue. Click the "Install Now" button and the page just refreshes.

start Steam, go to My Games, click on the 'activate a product on Steam' button that is near the bottom, enter you code and have fun!

Because I can,
stimpy

I'm makin a move!!

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 08, 2008, 10:14:45 PM »

Thanks, CeeKay!
lildrgn

It's not the years, it's the mileage.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #114 on: November 09, 2008, 03:17:03 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 08, 2008, 09:27:00 PM

start Steam, go to My Games, click on the 'activate a product on Steam' button that is near the bottom, enter you code and have fun!

Ok, where does one get said code?

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: November 09, 2008, 03:45:30 AM »

Quote from: lildrgn on November 09, 2008, 03:17:03 AM

Quote from: CeeKay on November 08, 2008, 09:27:00 PM

Ok, where does one get said code?

sorry, I thought you had pre-ordered it.  you have to do that for an early access code, otherwise it should be available for play in about a week.

Because I can,
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: November 09, 2008, 10:49:32 AM »

strange, never had to enter a code...jsut pre-order, and then I downloaded the demo afterwards...

A new one
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #117 on: November 09, 2008, 04:43:02 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on November 09, 2008, 10:49:32 AM

strange, never had to enter a code...jsut pre-order, and then I downloaded the demo afterwards...

Yup, I ordered my copy, went back to the Steam Homepage, clicked Left 4 Dead, clicked Download demo.  Done deal.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: November 09, 2008, 05:00:14 PM »

Quote from: Dreamshadow on November 09, 2008, 04:43:02 PM

Quote from: Razgon on November 09, 2008, 10:49:32 AM

Yup, I ordered my copy, went back to the Steam Homepage, clicked Left 4 Dead, clicked Download demo.  Done deal.

I'm getting mine through Gamestop, so that's probably why I got a code.  I should probably cancel that and just pre-order through Steam though...

Because I can,
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #119 on: November 09, 2008, 07:53:43 PM »

Lets get some demo co-op going!  I'm on now.  

I have a lobby started on steam now...
« Last Edit: November 09, 2008, 07:56:23 PM by Dreamshadow » Logged

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: