http://gamingtrend.com
July 30, 2014, 07:57:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Left 4 Dead Impressions  (Read 12656 times)
ATB
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« on: November 17, 2008, 07:14:19 PM »

Apparently I tried to cancel my pre-order with Amazon too late, soooo I'll be playing Left 4 Dead afterall (most likely).

I wasn't blown away by the demo but wouldn't mind trying to put together a crew to play this Friday Night (if I decide to keep it).

OXM loved it (but they're OXM).

Anyone else still getting it on 360?

If so save your impressions for page 2.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2008, 07:57:09 PM »

top of my gamefly queue with a game sent back friday to hopefully get this one by end of week.  of course, i haven't had a chance to play the demo and nobody was on it during the weekend, so i may need to try it out with random players. 

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2008, 01:45:12 AM »

IGN gave it a 9.0!

There's absolutely no doubt that Left 4 Dead is one of the most social and exciting multiplayer games that we've ever played. It's almost pitch perfect in how it captures the tension and the action of a Hollywood zombie movie. This is an incredible and highly replayable multiplayer experience that's definitely worth checking out, especially if you're looking to prepare yourself for the inevitable zombie apocalypse. Just make sure you bring your friends.

Gamespy 4.5/5.

Pros  
Intense, nerve-wracking experience; co-op gets even better as you add players; innovative, entertaining multiplayer mode.

Cons
No real narrative in place; single-player offerings pale in comparion to co-op play; no searching for dedicated servers.

And 9/10 from Games Radar.

You'll love
Incredibly tense gameplay
Versus mode multiplayer
Extremely replayable
You'll hate
Only two versus campaigns
No character customization
No explicit story

Sounds like what we've been saying.  Brilliant with friends, but make sure you have 'em.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2008, 02:00:50 AM by Bullwinkle » Logged

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2008, 02:04:38 AM »

I canceled my pre-order.  Seems to me with the number of deals this game had before it even came out, it won't be long before it's at bargain bin prices.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2008, 04:24:38 AM »

I'll be getting the 360 version.  Looking forward to this one.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2008, 06:03:55 AM »

I spent a little more time with the demo tonight, and I had a lot more fun.  Still on the fence, but I'm more interested.

DamageInc

Starts with s and ends with litting their throats

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2008, 02:58:05 PM »

I will be picking up my copy today.

The freaks come out at nine and it's twenty to ten
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2008, 04:02:07 PM »

I think it's kind of amazing that everyone praises this game, despite almost no SP component, but they derided Shadowrun for the same thing.

I'm sure when it comes down to it, L4D will be a better game than SR, but the opinion of that aspect is diametrically opposite.

Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2008, 05:04:51 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on November 18, 2008, 04:02:07 PM

I think it's kind of amazing that everyone praises this game, despite almost no SP component, but they derided Shadowrun for the same thing.

I'm sure when it comes down to it, L4D will be a better game than SR, but the opinion of that aspect is diametrically opposite.

Shadowrun was such a thin framework of a team based game with some really nifty abilities added to it.  L4D (granted..this is based on demo impressions) just seems to show much more polish and focus overall.  If Shadowrun has the same focus level of Battlefield Bad Company, then I think you might have a more valid argument.  Shadowrun was fun, and it will stay in my collection simply for the setting and what it tried to be.  Left 4 Dead focuses down on the concept behind the zombie movie, puts you in there with friends (as both good and bad guys) and very narrowly defines its goals with a little bit of random thrown in.

Granted, with only 4 (or was it 5) movies to play through...I fully expect them to release more at a later date.  For 45 dollars (for the Steam users) I think it was a very good buy, and based on the PC demo, I'll be picking it up for 360 play too.

I wonder if they'll try and license  Shaun of the Dead or 28 Days Later for future packs.  I'd buy DLC based on zombie movies.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2008, 05:35:34 PM »

Quote from: Dreamshadow on November 18, 2008, 05:04:51 PM

I wonder if they'll try and license  Shaun of the Dead or 28 Days Later for future packs.  I'd buy DLC based on zombie movies.

I doubt Shaun of the Dead would be a good pack (it's more of a comedy than an action movie), and isn't the game already pretty much 28 Days Later?  Ok, maybe 14 Day Later, but it's pretty much the same concept.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2008, 05:42:27 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 18, 2008, 05:35:34 PM

Quote from: Dreamshadow on November 18, 2008, 05:04:51 PM

I doubt Shaun of the Dead would be a good pack (it's more of a comedy than an action movie), and isn't the game already pretty much 28 Days Later?  Ok, maybe 14 Day Later, but it's pretty much the same concept.

This is true...but I would love to be able to re-enact the pub scene..or even deal with a friend gone zombie. smile Licencing would allow them to use the movies/sound clips/voices versus 'generic' settings.  Don't get me wrong...I don't think that they did a bad job.  It's just an idea I'm tossing around.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2008, 06:43:49 PM »

Well, I picked this up, and I'm glad I did.  I had a blast playing last night.  Really a lot of fun, with different experiences every time.

This video sums up gameplay really well:

http://www.videosift.com/video/Left-4-dead-survival-plan-backfires

msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2008, 06:46:25 PM »

So is there a decent sized group of people playing this on a regular basis? I want to pick it up, but don't want to have to play with random people from the web all the time.

Tune in to hear me spout nonsense about Fantasy Football every Thursday evening at 6:08.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2008, 06:58:58 PM »

Quote from: msteelers on November 19, 2008, 06:46:25 PM

So is there a decent sized group of people playing this on a regular basis? I want to pick it up, but don't want to have to play with random people from the web all the time.

Me and Bullwinkle (RIGHT BULLWINKLE?!?!?!?!) will be playing this Friday Night. COME ON LET US PLAY TOGEVA!
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2008, 07:00:41 PM »

You don't like playing CoD with me frown
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2008, 07:05:45 PM »

Not sure who that's directed at, Hark,  but it's probably true of everyone... icon_razz
spigot

All of the bacon and eggs you have.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2008, 07:09:41 PM »

Same here. I really want this, but I can't stand playing with anyone other than you chaps here or some regulars from another forum I visit. Add me as a friend and give me a good reason to pick it up!

XBL: RoboSim

XBL GamerTag: RoboSim
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2008, 07:12:57 PM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on November 19, 2008, 07:05:45 PM

Not sure who that's directed at, Hark,  but it's probably true of everyone... icon_razz
pfft, you need to start playing so I can rub my k/d in your face slywink  2.16 and climbing
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2008, 07:24:00 PM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on November 19, 2008, 06:58:58 PM

Me and Bullwinkle (RIGHT BULLWINKLE?!?!?!?!) will be playing this Friday Night. COME ON LET US PLAY TOGEVA!

It's possible.  icon_smile  Won't be 'til around 11, though, unfortunately.

msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2008, 07:32:02 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on November 19, 2008, 07:00:41 PM

You don't like playing CoD with me frown

COD has me completely addicted, so I don't see myself stopping that anytime soon. But Left 4 Dead sounds like it could be epic with the right group playing.

Tune in to hear me spout nonsense about Fantasy Football every Thursday evening at 6:08.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2008, 07:39:21 PM »

Gamestop screwed up my order so I ended up cancelling it.  I still have it on Steam though.  Also too busy playing CoD to play L4D, Mortal Kombat or Mirror's Edge
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2008, 07:50:16 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on November 19, 2008, 07:12:57 PM

pfft, you need to start playing so I can rub my k/d in your face slywink 

Wouldn't it be classier to just teabag him?

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2008, 08:41:17 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on November 19, 2008, 07:50:16 PM

Quote from: Harkonis on November 19, 2008, 07:12:57 PM

pfft, you need to start playing so I can rub my k/d in your face slywink 

Wouldn't it be classier to just teabag him?

icon_mrgreen

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2008, 03:00:12 PM »

Had a great experience with this last night playing "advanced" difficulty with a friend.  We played through the entirety of the Dead Air campaign, and the difficulty certainly ratcheted up appropriately as the game progressed.  We had to replay the final mission a couple of times before the final credits rolled - and, sadly, I was the only survivor.  The environments in that campaign are incredibly detailed, and they do a nice job of making the zombie's attire location appropriate.  If you've ever wanted to beat down a TSA employee or see what's behind the ticket counter, you'll get your opportunity.

It's interesting - it was fantastic, even though there's not much variety in the methods by which you kill the various zombie types.  The tactics are fairly consistent, in that you typically want to stick together, don't mess with the witch, find a decent spot to set up shop prior to flipping one of the switches, and share the med kits equitably.  Even so, the harried nature of the gameplay really fits the theme so well, and the intensity continues to build as they throw more and more zombie hordes at you.  I think it'll actually be more difficult with a four person party as the AI players are actually pretty efficient at identifying and killing the special zombies - certainly more so than my buddy, who would happily run off down a hallway while I was in the process of being dragged off a fire escape by a smoker.

I look forward to digging into versus mode, but it's been well worth it so far.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2008, 03:55:18 PM »

If I may say, the witch may well be the single greatest video game enemy to be created since the berserkers in Gears of War or the Big Daddies in terms of "Oh, shit there's one nearby" moments.

Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2008, 04:01:28 PM »

I'm more anxious about encountering tanks - unlike witches, who you can hear from a mile away, you don't anticipate one until it climbs the fuel truck from behind you and knocks you forty feet into a cluster of propane tanks surrounded by zombies.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2008, 04:54:19 PM »

Quote from: Brendan on November 21, 2008, 04:01:28 PM

I'm more anxious about encountering tanks - unlike witches, who you can hear from a mile away, you don't anticipate one until it climbs the fuel truck from behind you and knocks you forty feet into a cluster of propane tanks surrounded by zombies.

Tanks are much tougher, it's true, but you don't get a warning, so there's no fear build up.  With Berserkers and Big Daddies and Witches, you always know they're there, which in many ways is worse.  Plus the Witch is not as mammoth or brute force oriented as the other two are.

We had an awesome encounter the other night.  I forget the level now, but you come out into a courtyard/truck depot (at the end of it, there's some kind of gas tank or something that inevitably gets blown to hell).  Well, we entered the courtyard and took care of most of the troublemakers and, as things quieted down, we could hear her.  We carefully crept out from behind the trucks and saw her hunched down in the middle of the courtyard, basically dead center between the trucks.  To get where we needed to be, we had to go right through her.  The damn Director AI plopped her down perfectly.  After we got into position, the player who'd kind of fallen into the leader role counted us down.  We opened fire as one, getting around her as best we could.  One guy took the brunt of it, but we were able to take her down pretty handily.  Then the horde set upon us and we scrambled to get inside.

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2008, 07:01:13 PM »

with any luck, i will get this in the mail today and be able to play with you all tonight.  the demo was fun and very unsettling, and i can't wait to play with a full group.

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
Fez
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2008, 05:36:37 PM »

Hey all.  I've been thinking about getting this for the 360.  Do you need a Gold account to be able to play over the internet with folks?
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2008, 05:39:42 PM »

Quote from: Fez on November 24, 2008, 05:36:37 PM

Hey all.  I've been thinking about getting this for the 360.  Do you need a Gold account to be able to play over the internet with folks?

Yes.
Fez
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2008, 10:38:50 PM »

Ahh..too bad.  That might push me to get the PC version if my PC can run it.  Thanks for the info.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2008, 10:42:58 PM »

Quote from: Fez on November 24, 2008, 10:38:50 PM

Ahh..too bad.  That might push me to get the PC version if my PC can run it.  Thanks for the info.

Well it comes with 48 of gold live. You could play the absolute heck out of it for two days...
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2008, 01:12:12 AM »

I'll be on to play this tonight after 9pm CST (prolly almost 10pm CST)

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
spigot

All of the bacon and eggs you have.

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2008, 04:50:02 AM »

I always knew there was something going on between Bill and Louis  saywhat

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NW8tE93Vx8Q

XBL GamerTag: RoboSim
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2008, 06:02:52 AM »

Quote from: spigot on November 25, 2008, 04:50:02 AM

I always knew there was something going on between Bill and Louis  saywhat

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NW8tE93Vx8Q

icon_lol

Covenant

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 25, 2008, 02:23:35 PM »

Here's a question that is probably pretty dumb:

Does Left 4 Dead require a Gold xbox live account in order to play multiplayer or is it a special case?
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 25, 2008, 03:01:39 PM »

Quote from: Covenant on November 25, 2008, 02:23:35 PM

Here's a question that is probably pretty dumb:

Does Left 4 Dead require a Gold xbox live account in order to play multiplayer or is it a special case?

Requires Gold.

Scroll up a few posts for a quick discussion on it.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 25, 2008, 03:24:51 PM »

Pretty much every question that goes "Does Game X require a gold account to play multiplayer?" can be answered "Yes."  The one exception I can think of is Final Fantasy XI, which requires a game subscription.  The rule of Xbox is that multiplayer requires a gold subscription.

Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 25, 2008, 05:12:49 PM »

Played the demo.  Zoombies, ripping off HL tongue grabbers, smokers (  saywhat ) FTL.  I'm out.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: November 25, 2008, 06:17:16 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on November 25, 2008, 05:12:49 PM

Played the demo.  Zoombies, ripping off HL tongue grabbers, smokers (  saywhat ) FTL.  I'm out.

But...the 'campiness' of the enemies you face (you know, Zombies), is what makes the game. And it's SO much fun in multiplayer.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: