http://gamingtrend.com
October 01, 2014, 10:20:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: League of Legends - Free to Play  (Read 37033 times)
PR_GMR
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #600 on: February 01, 2012, 02:58:53 PM »

I play this like a drug fiend loves crack cocaine. Hop on any night and you'll see my sad, addicted ass there pwning noobs left and right.  nod
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #601 on: February 01, 2012, 10:02:00 PM »

Quote from: PR_GMR on February 01, 2012, 02:58:53 PM

I play this like a drug fiend loves crack cocaine. Hop on any night and you'll see my sad, addicted ass there pwning noobs left and right.  nod

Likewise, I created this thread 2 1/2 years ago and i still play 2 games of this a night, I'm not great but I do love it smile I have a lev 16 us account so always happy to hop across the pond if people are playing it in my time zone

Currently Playing: Psyconauts, lol, wee raptr: Tals Steam: Talsworthy
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #602 on: February 10, 2012, 08:13:08 PM »

Had one of those awesome experiences in this game a couple of nights ago. We had a 4 man premade and the dreaded 1 man random. The guy went top and was doing well in his lane but when he came to assist it would always go wrong or he put himself into too much risk. Either way 25 minute mark after losing a team fight he was like Noobs i'm out of here.

5 minutes later - I jest not, we had one. The other team decided to take advantage and split push, Lee sin jumped on the twower I ulted as sona, he went down we chased the other team to the nexus and won, game over smile Now if we hadn't taken down that nexus at that point I have no doubt we would have lost but it was awesome smile

Ascendent

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« Reply #603 on: April 19, 2012, 05:49:16 PM »

I just started playing a week or two ago I think I've already spent 50 or so on this free to play game. Unfortunately I'm horrible at it, but that doesn't curb my enjoyment of it. Wish the community was better, as it stands it is the worst community I've encountered. Not friendly or welcoming to new players at all. Anyways if your playing look for "Brostada" feel free to add me.
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #604 on: April 19, 2012, 05:55:30 PM »

Quote from: Ascendent on April 19, 2012, 05:49:16 PM

I just started playing a week or two ago I think I've already spent 50 or so on this free to play game. Unfortunately I'm horrible at it, but that doesn't curb my enjoyment of it. Wish the community was better, as it stands it is the worst community I've encountered. Not friendly or welcoming to new players at all. Anyways if your playing look for "Brostada" feel free to add me.

I forgot to tell you last night: Add 'TheWanderers' chat channel to auto-join. That's where most of us gather. Also, join and bookmark The Wanderers message board as we tend to discuss the game more in there.

As for spending money in the game, it happens, though for me ever so slowly. I splurged last night and spent 10 bucks to get Hecarim, but in the year and half that I've been playing the game, I've only spent 100 bucks on it. I've grind IP points to unlock most of my champs and I own about 33 champs so far, one third of the total 100 champs in game so far.

Lastly, as I said, yeah, you gotta have one hell of a flame-resistant skin to play LoL for long. Also, make liberal use of the /squelch command. I've blocked like two dozen people total in the time I've been playing. I don't tolerate in-game douchebaggery for long and I just /squelch.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 05:57:26 PM by PR_GMR » Logged
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #605 on: April 19, 2012, 09:50:42 PM »

I just started playing a week or two ago I think I've already spent 50 or so on this free to play game. Unfortunately I'm horrible at it, but that doesn't curb my enjoyment of it.

Obviously the best way to get better is through experience but reading a guide on the champion you are playing can give you a leg up.  Particularly when you're new and not sure on runes/items/masteries, just follow a guide.  Here is a good source: http://solomid.net/

Also watching videos of top tier players has helped me a lot to learn by example.
Ascendent

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« Reply #606 on: April 19, 2012, 11:47:19 PM »

Quote from: skystride on April 19, 2012, 09:50:42 PM

I just started playing a week or two ago I think I've already spent 50 or so on this free to play game. Unfortunately I'm horrible at it, but that doesn't curb my enjoyment of it.

Obviously the best way to get better is through experience but reading a guide on the champion you are playing can give you a leg up.  Particularly when you're new and not sure on runes/items/masteries, just follow a guide.  Here is a good source: http://solomid.net/

Also watching videos of top tier players has helped me a lot to learn by example.

Yep i follow guides, started at mobafire now I am at solomid, also read forums and item guides and watch videos. Think if you aren't familar with the gameplay there is a serious period of adjustment, watching the map, warding, last hitting harrassing all at the same time but getting the hang of it
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #607 on: April 20, 2012, 05:05:21 AM »

Tbh at low level all bets are off and it's almost free for all. Once you get to level 30 it sorts itself out, though it's better to team up as randoms will always be well random smile

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #608 on: April 20, 2012, 12:09:38 PM »

Smurfs (making new accounts to be back at level 1) is a huge problem in the game honestly. I'm a big proponent of always trying to grow the community by getting new players in. A game may want a good number of hardcore players, but too many can be the death of the community as much as it propels it. Being free to play helps, as well as being the main competitor on the market, the game is very difficult to get into without guidance.

There's concepts like last hits which are core to the game, but aren't very intuitive.

That said, I've gotten a decent way into the game, playing with a group of gamers from a club I'm in. It's still not my preferred style of game, but it's something nice that holds me over until the next Dawn of War comes out.

I picked up the Graves character to start and only play as him. That can be a tough character to start with considering he's a carry. Again, they need to do a better job of explaining what these terms mean in the game client itself, especially if they're going to list those words in the overview.

I'll probably pickup some support characters, since I like that role and I have a stable group to play with.
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #609 on: April 20, 2012, 12:23:29 PM »

Funnily enough was playing on EU East with my level 5 character last night (as EU West was broken) and was thinking the same thing. This poor Morgana player - on opposing team, was building a totally mad setup, was positioning herself in ridiculous scenarios and not appretiating even simple matters like minions start attacking you if you attack the opposing champions.

I suspect her team were giving huge amounts of grief - some of it we got to see frown Really needs a good mentoring system.

I still love the game. Had been playing support for a while and my tips on that are build the two gold items (Philo stone first) then heart of gold second - before you get boots. Set your masteries to high start gold which allows you to buy 2 vision wards and 1 normal ward. The vision ward is excellent - place it in the bush just above you and as close to the dragon as possible - that way you spot any wards they place. I then keep the other ward in reserve either for putting down on our lanes bush if we are pushed hard to clear any of there wards out or in their bush if we are pushing hard and I want to make sure they can't see me. As support don't last hit - absolutely critical that the ad carry farms.

You may know the above but i've seen some support just try to build a normal build (I used to do this) and no wards and it just isn't going to work.

My favourite character at the moment is Gang Plank. For him I start with armour and a few health pots ->going for wriggles. I then build my q up and don't use this for last hitting the minions I pretty much use it to poke the opposing champion. Absolutely fantastic poke and keeps me able to farm as mele. I use  his ultimate to either push lanes we are not in or as a save for my team till we start proper team fights. Not great at GP but getting better.

Game wise majority of games I play draft mode to stop lol teams being created which just ruins the experience smile

My other huge tip, try and experiment with all the different positions. I really made it hard for myself playing only easier characters and ones I enjoyed on my journey to 30. When you get to level 30 it becomes almost a different game - particularly as premades

skystride

View Profile
« Reply #610 on: April 20, 2012, 03:13:25 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on April 20, 2012, 12:09:38 PM

Smurfs (making new accounts to be back at level 1) is a huge problem in the game honestly. I'm a big proponent of always trying to grow the community by getting new players in. A game may want a good number of hardcore players, but too many can be the death of the community as much as it propels it. Being free to play helps, as well as being the main competitor on the market, the game is very difficult to get into without guidance.

Well at least now, beginners get some decent bot matches that they can play co-op.  It's a good place to experiment.

I was pretty lucky when I started, there were some veterans in my guild who basically coached me through voice chat.  That's probably the quickest way to pick it up.  Before playing LOL, I had no idea what any of the concepts like jungler, carry etc. were.  Even when it's explained to you, it does take a while for it all to sink in.
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #611 on: April 20, 2012, 03:18:47 PM »

Quote from: Tals on April 20, 2012, 12:23:29 PM

Had been playing support for a while and my tips on that are build the two gold items (Philo stone first) then heart of gold second - before you get boots. Set your masteries to high start gold which allows you to buy 2 vision wards and 1 normal ward. The vision ward is excellent - place it in the bush just above you and as close to the dragon as possible - that way you spot any wards they place. I then keep the other ward in reserve either for putting down on our lanes bush if we are pushed hard to clear any of there wards out or in their bush if we are pushing hard and I want to make sure they can't see me. As support don't last hit - absolutely critical that the ad carry farms.

I get the Kage's Lucky Pick when I play Lux/Morgana support.  I usually play those champs as AP carries so when I switch to support, I tend to be really aggressive.  I will poke them hard.  Just played a rank with Lux support and I had a Graves with me.  We just devastated the other two in our lane.  It doesn't go quiet as well if the AD carry is not in sync with my playstyle.
Ascendent

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« Reply #612 on: April 21, 2012, 04:01:55 AM »

So I'm bouncing around on a few heroes Yorick (love how strong he is early and in lane, tends to suck after that though, or at least I'm never able to do much in team fights and I am aware of omen of death on the ad carry but it really doesn't seem to do much) Amumu (I'm alright jungling, and ok with ganking, if you can land the skill shot and ulty is up your in pretty good shape) Maokai (people talk about how strong he is and he is strong his twisted advance, arcane smash, and saplings are all great and if you can land them all you do some serious damage but landing that sapling in the middle of a team fight with everyone moving is hard)  I also picked up rumble, veigar, riven and nasus just not sure who to focus on though.  Would like a tanky/bruiser who I can lane with and who doesn't completely fall off mid/late game I've heard good things about rumble and that's the way I'm leaning at the moment. Any advice?
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #613 on: April 21, 2012, 05:18:24 AM »

Quote from: skystride on April 20, 2012, 03:18:47 PM

I get the Kage's Lucky Pick when I play Lux/Morgana support.  I usually play those champs as AP carries so when I switch to support, I tend to be really aggressive.  I will poke them hard.  Just played a rank with Lux support and I had a Graves with me.  We just devastated the other two in our lane.  It doesn't go quiet as well if the AD carry is not in sync with my playstyle.

In my view if you play a non sustain support this is the only way to play it, if you play any other way against a sustain support then you're ad will keep getting poked back to base. If I am ad I far prefer sustain because the ads job is to farm and anything that puts that at risk gimps him.

skystride

View Profile
« Reply #614 on: April 23, 2012, 07:46:59 PM »

Quote from: Ascendent on April 21, 2012, 04:01:55 AM

I also picked up rumble, veigar, riven and nasus just not sure who to focus on though.  Would like a tanky/bruiser who I can lane with and who doesn't completely fall off mid/late game I've heard good things about rumble and that's the way I'm leaning at the moment. Any advice?

There are lots of those.  Rumble, Riven or Nasus should all be fine choices.  Then there's Jarvan, Renekton, Garen, Volibear, Shyvana and more.

I don't play Riven but a Riven that gets to farm solo top without denial or gets fed is just scary.
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #615 on: April 24, 2012, 05:13:00 AM »

Yep I played gangplank against riven last night, neither us could kill each other, though I would say I was easily the stronger of the two. I had the advantage of farm, but not by enough and moving to mid and lane he effectively won his team the game.

skystride

View Profile
« Reply #616 on: July 24, 2012, 04:07:25 PM »

It's surprising that there's so little discussion of LOL considering that it's the most played game in the last 2 years (more than WoW according to some stats collected).

I'm still playing almost every night.

I had some really good top lane games last night (normal not ranked).  Riven is so good with some farm and kills.  I was 2v1 against Maokai and Fiora top.  Basically forced to last hit at my tower but our jungler (the pig riding chick) was able to get an easy gank.  After that I just snowballed hard.  Still wan't strong enough to carry for a win though because everyone else on my team was doing horribly.

The other game was Singed top with the Bane skin vs Monkey King.  At around level 2 he almost burst me down and killed me which was pretty scary.  But that made him cocky and he pushed the lane which got him killed.  Then his buddy Warwick comes for a gank, I tossed him into the tower and ignited.  Double kill with a little help from a Karthus ultimate smile
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #617 on: July 24, 2012, 04:14:39 PM »

I've tried playing a half dozen times since they announced the stealth changes.  Sadly I'm now getting crashes every time shortly after a game starts frown
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #618 on: July 24, 2012, 04:40:38 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on July 24, 2012, 04:14:39 PM

I've tried playing a half dozen times since they announced the stealth changes.  Sadly I'm now getting crashes every time shortly after a game starts frown

Did you try shutting down most of your TSRs?
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #619 on: July 24, 2012, 04:50:35 PM »

I still play daily most nights, just love the whole feel of the combat (albeit I have a limited champion list I use). Now if they could translate this into a MMO - that would be something else smile

I tend to chat about the game in another forum but always happy to chat in here smile

skystride

View Profile
« Reply #620 on: July 24, 2012, 05:36:14 PM »

Quote from: Tals on July 24, 2012, 04:50:35 PM

Now if they could translate this into a MMO - that would be something else smile

Do you know something we don't?  I'm sure Riot is spending all the money they have on some secret project.
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #621 on: July 24, 2012, 05:45:27 PM »

Unfortunately not - I think the premise of Riot was lunchtime games (or something similar). League kind of blew them away and I think that is where their energies have gone. But they will have to keep innovating, which imho they seem to be doing nicely.

skystride

View Profile
« Reply #622 on: July 25, 2012, 02:35:24 PM »

Just tried ARAM (All Random All Mid) mode with the custom map last night.  It's pretty fun.  Should be a good way for beginners to get familiar with a wide variety of champions.  Matches are relatively quick.  In this mode, you get a random champion.  There is only 1 lane.  You can't go back to the base to heal/shop.  You can't buy certain snowball items.  ARAM mode existed before but was just an agreement between players.  It's cool that Riot has actually put in code to implement the rules.

I got randomed Janna and ended up really liking her (never played her before in a real match).  I might have to try her in SR.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #623 on: July 25, 2012, 06:22:07 PM »

Yep, the group of friends that got me into LoL, after my first disastrous attempts, likes to play ARAM.

For the most part, I like to play Rammus since he's the closest thing to a Turtle in the game. He can be difficult to play nowadays and requires both a lot of restraint and know when to go in for the kill or initiate a team fight. Since those are the things I have the most trouble with, it's nice to learn.

Jungling him is difficult in that Rammus is just countered easily. In lane, he has no ranged abilities and relies on summoner spells to close the distance for ganks. But, once he's in and there's a teammate nearby, it's hard to escape one of his ganks.
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #624 on: July 25, 2012, 06:55:48 PM »

Spool up Rammus' Powerball while you are out of view or in a bush.  It takes a second or two to reach top speed.  Most champions are not going to be able to get away from that without wasting a flash.  Once you hit em with Powerball, you can taunt and walk back which will pull the target towards your teammates (also good for pulling someone out of his turret radius).  I always max taunt on Rammus for the duration.

I almost always play Rammus jungle but he can be good in a support lane.  You basically scare the enemy and deny them last hits.  They should fear you coming out of the bush and knocking into them (since you hopefully have a strong AD carry to back you up).  Also if the enemy is pushing, they risk being taunted by Rammus into turret range.

I don't think you should rely too much on summoner spells although it's always good to have flash for a surprise initiate or powerballing over minion waves.

Jungle is a really tough role for a beginner though because it is critical that jungle succeeds in ganking and gets some assists/kills which requires good map awareness.  And I think map awareness is something beginners struggle with for the longest time.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 06:58:31 PM by skystride » Logged
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #625 on: July 25, 2012, 07:48:11 PM »

Only problem is that in-lane, Rammus starts somewhat weak due to reliance on ball curl, and you have to be in sync with your teammate on when you're going to start a fight at low levels before there's enough points in ball curl or you've bought enough armor/MR/health items. What's worst is a having to tank a double AD ranged lane with a short ranged carry.
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #626 on: July 25, 2012, 08:18:14 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on July 25, 2012, 07:48:11 PM

Only problem is that in-lane, Rammus starts somewhat weak due to reliance on ball curl, and you have to be in sync with your teammate on when you're going to start a fight at low levels before there's enough points in ball curl or you've bought enough armor/MR/health items. What's worst is a having to tank a double AD ranged lane with a short ranged carry.

There shouldn't be double ranged AD in the bottom lane.  You might be seeing that while you are lower level (or fewer wins) in Normal games but eventually people start following the meta which is 1 support/1 AD carry bottom lane.  The reason you don't want to put 2 AD carries bottom is because an AD carry needs farm and if you have 2 of them, they are sharing gold.  Hence the meta where the Support champ doesn't farm any gold at all and the AD carry gets all of it.

The point might be moot though because I really wouldn't play Rammus support since the jungle changes.  Rammus is just so good in the jungle and there are better support tanks like Alistar and Leona.
Ascendent

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« Reply #627 on: July 25, 2012, 08:51:00 PM »

I've stopped playing, you really need other people to play with in order be effective. It's been about a month since I've played, just got tired of the trolls and dickheads.
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #628 on: July 26, 2012, 11:22:55 AM »

Quote from: Ascendent on July 25, 2012, 08:51:00 PM

I've stopped playing, you really need other people to play with in order be effective. It's been about a month since I've played, just got tired of the trolls and dickheads.

I'd agree with this, If you played on EUW then I have a reasonably well frequented mumble server that I setup primarily for this reason. We always groan when we have 4, have a random that wants a particular position in almost all cases it will be a disaster. We're not great but we do all work together as a team. The randoms who give a number of positions tend to be better.

I find it difficult to play solo anymore in this game, although if I do my recommendation is ranked as that ensure all the teams are solo or duo

skystride

View Profile
« Reply #629 on: July 26, 2012, 04:42:01 PM »

If you play in North America you can join TheWanderers channel to find some of us.  The complete roster is posted earlier in this thread by Rittch.  We use his Vent server.
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #630 on: July 26, 2012, 04:44:14 PM »

Quote from: Tals on July 26, 2012, 11:22:55 AM

We always groan when we have 4, have a random that wants a particular position in almost all cases it will be a disaster. We're not great but we do all work together as a team. The randoms who give a number of positions tend to be better.

QFT. 

I guess it's because the guy who only knows 1 role is likely to be the weakest player.
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #631 on: July 26, 2012, 05:50:13 PM »

Yep, but say support then smile Don't say mid or top which can rapidly fail - out of interest I play support smile

The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #632 on: September 04, 2012, 11:52:39 PM »

I've decided to finally give this game a try.  Any of you guys still playing and have patience to tutor a n00b like me?  I've been doing some reading on the game and have a decent foundation there, but need some people to play with to put things to practice.  I was thinking of playing Sona as support, but would be open to anything.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #633 on: September 05, 2012, 03:26:02 AM »

Yeah grue.  Add "Vertrucio" to your friends list, also what's your LoL name?
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #634 on: September 05, 2012, 04:17:16 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on September 05, 2012, 03:26:02 AM

Yeah grue.  Add "Vertrucio" to your friends list, also what's your LoL name?

It's Aakmer.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #635 on: September 05, 2012, 05:45:36 AM »

Yes still playing here but on eu, the game has a remarkably high retention rate. If you're starting up don't get to tied in with the role just yet and definitely don't just stick with one champion. Although it is painful try the different champs - even if you try a champ and vow never to play it again you will at least understand some of the weaknesses and difficulties of playing that champ. If eu players are lurking speak up and come and join me, I have a group of players that usually get a couple of games in most evenings - despite the gw2 hit smile

Ascendent

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« Reply #636 on: September 05, 2012, 11:35:08 PM »

*sigh* re-re-downloaded LoL again...I'm such a wimp I want to love it, but like an abusive spouse it keeps beating me, then telling me baby I didn't mean it, I promise never again...till the next beating.
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #637 on: September 06, 2012, 05:07:11 AM »

Had an amazingly close game a few days ago, we lost all our team bar tf and the other team were pushing for the win.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_8Uy8LsJzU

pingwrx

View Profile
« Reply #638 on: December 24, 2012, 08:17:55 PM »

Anybody still playing thought I would give it a go?

XBL gamertag: pingwrx
PS3-PS4 pingwrx
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #639 on: December 24, 2012, 08:26:40 PM »

3 years on I am still playing. I run an eu west community of around 40 people with oonly rule being no raging in game.

If your eu west then you're welcome to join uis. Us someone else will need to pipe up

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: