http://gamingtrend.com
August 22, 2014, 10:04:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: League of Legends - Free to Play  (Read 35836 times)
Turtle
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #560 on: June 27, 2011, 01:16:20 AM »

So, ChrisG, Lordnine, and I are about to give this a try. We're used to the whole RTS hostility crowd, but I wouldn't mind some extra support from a crew we know.
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #561 on: June 27, 2011, 05:33:47 AM »

That link I posted a few posts up is worth a quick gander, some of the videos cover the obvious (to me) but not obvious for a new player. So for example if you have your minions attacking an enemy tower the tower will not hit you - unless you hit the enemy champ in it's range then it will smile Also don't hit an enemy minion until just before it dies - sounds crazy but if you just strike them the whole time your minions have an advantage and will move towards the enemy tower which then gives your opponent effectively an extra hand. The best place for the enemy minions early on is just outside the range of your tower - so you can last hit them.

If you guys are ever playing when I play (8pm GMT most nights) then give me a ping, quite happy to either use my US account (level 17) or create a new account.

The game does treat premade teams (3 players or more) as having an advantage in match making so you can find you end up playing higher level teams than you are ready for with the premade. 2 players is quite a sweet spot certainly early on. You can also just play against the AI which till about level 10 will probably challenge as much as a human team - then it starts changing into a different game smile

Currently Playing: Psyconauts, lol, wee raptr: Tals Steam: Talsworthy
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #562 on: June 27, 2011, 02:44:42 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on June 27, 2011, 01:16:20 AM

So, ChrisG, Lordnine, and I are about to give this a try. We're used to the whole RTS hostility crowd, but I wouldn't mind some extra support from a crew we know.

Make sure to look us up in the channel TheWanderers. A whole bunch of us still play, mostly Sundays and Wednesdays. You can also join us at The Wanderers forums. We are level-headed, mature and friendly (enough) to break you into the game. hehehe.
Cortilian
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #563 on: June 27, 2011, 05:42:45 PM »

Before we cuss you out for feeding and ruining our lives on the interwebs because you shot our ELO to hell.

icon_biggrin

Hop into TheWanderers channel.  We'll run you through some games an help you with the ropes.  The community is brutal because, well, they can be and in order to win you have to have all 5 people trying to win and playing smart.  So perceived un-smart play will get you reamed from pillar to post.  

Go here: http://leaguecraft.com/strategies/guides and read up on the champions you want to play.  Eventually you will want to play a lot of them even if you aren't great at some of them.  Playing champ A all the time will only make you fair to good at playing champ A.  Playing champ A,B,C and D will give you insight into how to best defeat A,B,C and D and will enable you to be a great player of champ A.

See ya around.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 05:45:58 PM by Cortilian » Logged
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #564 on: June 27, 2011, 05:48:43 PM »

http://www.mobafire.com/ Is better smile But yes both are good sites.

Unfortunately it's the internet which is why people rage - thankfully they do police it but still the behaviour is unacceptable. However the game is very snowbally so get some kills and you're feel invincible - go the other way and it all goes down hill very quickly smile

rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #565 on: June 27, 2011, 06:59:14 PM »

Our Wanderer group has been playing more regularly again if you are playing the US server.  Play times are usually around 4-9pm PST.  Most of us are fairly casual and more than happy to help new players.  As mentioned above, joining the chat channel TheWanderers (no space) and adding friends is a good way to go.  If you are trying new champs, playing a Custom game against the bad AI is a fun/relaxing easy way to go.  You don't earn as much IP but you'll have more time to experiment and learn, plus it's a good way to build self esteem lol.  Playing Co-Op vs. AI is generally more laid back as well.  Anyway, here's a list of currently active players to add as friends, though I may get the spelling wrong.

rittchard
skystride
cortilian
PRGMR
cutthroat
ForgeForsaken (I think)
WillTeach
Kalimac
Guaishou (might be a number after this)
Appaz
Banzai (he has a new acct name but I can't remember it)
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 10:05:41 PM by rittchard » Logged
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #566 on: June 27, 2011, 07:51:40 PM »

I almost never pay attention to public chat unless a pubbie is being nice (very rare).  Use the /ignore <enemy|all|playername> command. 

Luckily Hark is no longer playing so that's one less asshole!  ninja
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #567 on: June 27, 2011, 07:52:33 PM »

There's no space on my LoL username: PRGMR. Anyone feel free to add me!
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #568 on: June 27, 2011, 07:58:23 PM »

And, oh, a warning! If you end up liking LoL, it is quite addictive. You may find yourself in the following scenario:

Player: Mmmm, it's like midnight and tomorrow it's a work day. I shouldn't play one more game, but man, I want to!

(cut to:)

(Player at work, bleary-eyed, bags under his eyes, nursing a cup of coffee, drool falling from his half-open mouth)

Player: Shitcock!!!.. I shouldn't have played 6 games in a row.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #569 on: June 27, 2011, 09:16:28 PM »

Tried it, and while I think it's a good game, it's not for me.

The matches seem to take forever. Coming off of Dawn of War 2 where you can get an amazing match in 15-20 minutes, there are games that drag for 30+ minutes. Not a fan of the Warcraft 3 style style and pacing as well.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #570 on: June 27, 2011, 10:09:30 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on June 27, 2011, 09:16:28 PM

The matches seem to take forever. Coming off of Dawn of War 2 where you can get an amazing match in 15-20 minutes, there are games that drag for 30+ minutes. Not a fan of the Warcraft 3 style style and pacing as well.

lol, a lot of games actually cross over into the 1 hour mark, or close, so sounds like you wouldn't like it.  Those can get pretty long in the tooth, but also can feel very epic when you win.  For 5v5 the fastest a game can end is 20 minutes (generally through surrender).  Not sure on 3v3, which is shorter/faster. 
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #571 on: June 27, 2011, 10:12:47 PM »

Quote from: rittchard on June 27, 2011, 10:09:30 PM

lol, a lot of games actually cross over into the 1 hour mark, or close, so sounds like you wouldn't like it.  Those can get pretty long in the tooth, but also can feel very epic when you win.  For 5v5 the fastest a game can end is 20 minutes (generally through surrender).  Not sure on 3v3, which is shorter/faster. 

Yep some games can be unbelievable that you wonder how you can ever play anything else, other games have you wanting to bin it. If it's a time issue then definitely it won't suit - though 3v3 are more the 30 min mark. However if its a case of tried it and don't like it generally until you are past level 10 you won't actually understand the game - and I commonly find level 20 players who experience premade for the first time and can't believe how different the play is.

skystride

View Profile
« Reply #572 on: June 27, 2011, 10:18:51 PM »

A few people I know get enjoyment out of solo play but most people prefer playing cooperatively with some kind of voice chat.  Half the time, if I don't see anyone I know on, I don't bother playing at all unless it's to learn a new champion or something.
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #573 on: June 27, 2011, 10:20:42 PM »

Quote from: skystride on June 27, 2011, 10:18:51 PM

A few people I know get enjoyment out of solo play but most people prefer playing cooperatively with some kind of voice chat.  Half the time, if I don't see anyone I know on, I don't bother playing at all unless it's to learn a new champion or something.

Luckily the size of the EU mumble >30 people means its usual to have quite a few premades kicking off in the EU time zone smile

Cortilian
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #574 on: July 08, 2011, 08:55:42 PM »

Gotta love patch day
Cortilian
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #575 on: July 08, 2011, 08:57:14 PM »

Quote from: Tals on June 27, 2011, 10:20:42 PM

Quote from: skystride on June 27, 2011, 10:18:51 PM

Luckily the size of the EU mumble >30 people means its usual to have quite a few premades kicking off in the EU time zone smile

Is there a link to the mumble server anywhere?
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #576 on: July 08, 2011, 09:23:00 PM »

Quote from: Cortilian on July 08, 2011, 08:55:42 PM

Gotta love patch day

They broke something! What else is new.

Wah, wah, wah, wahhhhhhhhh!  icon_razz
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #577 on: July 09, 2011, 01:54:17 AM »

Is EU down as well?  Wondering if we can go there instead.
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #578 on: August 04, 2011, 02:43:29 PM »

Riot announces Dominion!! A new game mode and map for 'League Of Legends'! I'm excited!  nod
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #579 on: August 05, 2011, 08:17:38 PM »

Awesome - looking forward to this one smile

Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #580 on: September 26, 2011, 03:41:33 PM »

New Dominion mode available today.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #581 on: September 26, 2011, 03:45:43 PM »

I played a couple of matches during beta and it's a fun mode.  It's not replacing Summoners Rift but it's a nice to have a mode that doesn't take 1 hour to play (about 20 min matches).
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #582 on: September 26, 2011, 04:25:43 PM »

Ridah is it now out of beta.

My view is its a lot of fun, not quite as strategic and I'll probably play it more than summoners just because an hour is a long time to reserve whereas 20 mins gets you almost the same fun slywink

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #583 on: September 26, 2011, 09:07:59 PM »

I'm having a blast, and the shorter games make a big difference.  Not sure I'll play much if any SR again.

Eve is back!
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #584 on: September 27, 2011, 05:16:29 AM »

I'm not sure - at the moment its more a team death match than the strayegy you get with sr. So at month I'm loving it but not sure long term

rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #585 on: September 28, 2011, 06:33:56 PM »

The new Dominion mode may be worth trying - games generally last 15-20 minutes, I don't think they can go much longer.  The map is smaller, the pace is faster, and it's more action packed.  Very similar to BGs from WoW or the first scenario from WAR, as well as alliance battles in Guild Wars.  There are 5 control points, basically your team needs to capture and hold 3 of them to win.  The map has speed and health buffs laying around, and you gain cash and xp far quicker than the regular game.
notrich
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #586 on: September 30, 2011, 03:01:27 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on September 26, 2011, 09:07:59 PM

I'm having a blast, and the shorter games make a big difference.  Not sure I'll play much if any SR again.

Eve is back!

i am approx 21-12 in dominion with teemo... loving this game mode - hoping ranked in dominion won't blow (but i don't have high hopes)

had a 6 minute game because of an afk on other team - worst length game is in the 24 minute mark (and i think that was when we made a big comeback and ended up with our countdown points at 6 or so)  - the vast majority have been between 15-20minutes (one of the reasons i focused on Twisted  Treeline is that it is potentially shorter than rift, but the nature of gamers seems to be to drag out the game into 50 minute marathons whenever possible - dominion does NOT allow people to drag out the game too far past 20 minutes)

I wish they had thunk outside the box like this with twisted treeline (starting higher level or special items or whatever)

the most repeatably successful strategy I have had is 3 go top - i take mid then ghost top (to finish off enemy or cap point while my team is fighting) - the other guy takes bot and holds...

then i stay at top to hold with mushrooms for a bit before i go back to buy

where it all falls apart sometimes is when people insist on going for the 4th point capture when they aren't strong enough.  res happens so fast that when the enemy come up to defend the 4th point its easy because they are full from just being revived while my team is half health.

the biggest repeatable mistake i see people make is not hitting people that are capping the point... the slightest damage from a champ will knock them out of capture  (so hit multiple people then run back to make them chase you through the point and then go back to hit them again)
« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 03:14:08 PM by notrich » Logged
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #587 on: October 04, 2011, 06:06:11 PM »

I'm back to being addicted to this game all over again after a year long hiatus. Dominion is very fun and fast paced, seems to be more forgiving and less frustrating than the regular summon mode. Also, this is probably the most expensive free game I have ever played  icon_smile

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #588 on: October 04, 2011, 06:43:58 PM »

Quote from: USMC Kato on October 04, 2011, 06:06:11 PM

I'm back to being addicted to this game all over again after a year long hiatus. Dominion is very fun and fast paced, seems to be more forgiving and less frustrating than the regular summon mode. Also, this is probably the most expensive free game I have ever played  icon_smile

Where do you guys meet up - through steam or voice. I have a Euro group but my level 16 US is always happy to join you guys. Dominion isn't getting much of my love but mainly because the strategy doesn't match the SR intensity. Still fun though smile

rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #589 on: October 04, 2011, 06:47:38 PM »

Quote from: Tals on October 04, 2011, 06:43:58 PM

Quote from: USMC Kato on October 04, 2011, 06:06:11 PM

Where do you guys meet up - through steam or voice. I have a Euro group but my level 16 US is always happy to join you guys. Dominion isn't getting much of my love but mainly because the strategy doesn't match the SR intensity. Still fun though smile

best way is the chat channel, I believe it's called TheWanderers (no space).

Also if you head over to the guild website and join up there (www.the-wanderers-guild.com) the Vent info is posted there.  But sometimes people are lazy and don't get on Vent, so the in game chat is better.
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #590 on: October 04, 2011, 07:16:21 PM »

Excellent, I have set the chat channel to load automatically and vent details are still correct smile

That said I am generally on eu so if you guys are looking for a 4/5th then best way is give me a kick via steam smile

If anyone has or is planning an EU account then my mumble server here mumble://85.236.100.59:8187/?version=1.2.2 gets around 30 people on a night - just prod me for the password smile

Though the password is the same as Harks for those that know or can remember it and it's todo with Kato smile

skystride

View Profile
« Reply #591 on: October 04, 2011, 07:35:59 PM »

What's your steam id Tals?  I tried switching to EUonce but it screwed up (reset) all my masteries even after I went back to NA.  Not sure why that happened.
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #592 on: October 04, 2011, 08:05:05 PM »

Quote from: skystride on October 04, 2011, 07:35:59 PM

What's your steam id Tals?  I tried switching to EUonce but it screwed up (reset) all my masteries even after I went back to NA.  Not sure why that happened.

tals or talsworthy - my profile picture if the flower from Plants and Zombies smile

re the masteries, when you change between EU and US the masteries are held in the same place so the best thing todo is to keep the masteries you use on US different to EU (with 10 mastery pages this is fairly easy)- they only get 'damaged' when you use one and if you are lev 30 on one and 10 on the other you have too many masteries to be allowed smile

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #593 on: October 05, 2011, 07:15:09 PM »

New patch, new champ.

sadly the free champs are all ones I have with one exception.  blah!
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #594 on: October 05, 2011, 07:55:37 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on October 05, 2011, 07:15:09 PM

New patch, new champ.

sadly the free champs are all ones I have with one exception.  blah!

How the heck did that happen - they're cheap with ip anyway?

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #595 on: October 05, 2011, 08:05:20 PM »

last week was a good one, I only owned a couple of the 10 free ones, this week is payback I guess
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #596 on: October 08, 2011, 01:39:47 PM »

gonna do an all day IP boost for dominion today.  feel free to join!
Semaj

View Profile
« Reply #597 on: January 31, 2012, 06:49:02 AM »

Quote from: rittchard on June 27, 2011, 06:59:14 PM

Our Wanderer group has been playing more regularly again if you are playing the US server.  Play times are usually around 4-9pm PST.  Most of us are fairly casual and more than happy to help new players.  As mentioned above, joining the chat channel TheWanderers (no space) and adding friends is a good way to go.  If you are trying new champs, playing a Custom game against the bad AI is a fun/relaxing easy way to go.  You don't earn as much IP but you'll have more time to experiment and learn, plus it's a good way to build self esteem lol.  Playing Co-Op vs. AI is generally more laid back as well.  Anyway, here's a list of currently active players to add as friends, though I may get the spelling wrong.

rittchard
skystride
cortilian
PRGMR
cutthroat
ForgeForsaken (I think)
WillTeach
Kalimac
Appaz

Hopped on the channel.. it twas me trying to say hi Tongue

WoW:
Venerable
Skywarden
Eagerly awaiting Drakes Fortune 2...
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #598 on: January 31, 2012, 07:25:01 PM »

Quote from: Semaj on January 31, 2012, 06:49:02 AM

Quote from: rittchard on June 27, 2011, 06:59:14 PM

rittchard
skystride
cortilian
PRGMR
cutthroat
ForgeForsaken (I think)
WillTeach
Kalimac
Appaz

Hopped on the channel.. it twas me trying to say hi Tongue

Ah ha!!!  Hi there!!!  I will add you to the Friends List next time I see you smile  Our group is still more or less intact as you see above, might have lost 1 or 2.
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #599 on: January 31, 2012, 07:47:43 PM »

I think we just lost Cortilian from that list.  Cort left us for EVE!?

Also we gained one Shadrock (meinkampfire in LOL) and Smellycat.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: