http://gamingtrend.com
July 29, 2014, 05:16:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 17   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: League of Legends - Free to Play  (Read 35292 times)
Grimwar
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #440 on: July 05, 2010, 02:23:33 AM »

I want to like this game, but I just can not get the hang of it.  I have read up on all the strategies, I know what to do, but it just fails for me every time.  I am always 3 levels behind the level curve and way behind on items, even if I do not die.  My record in normal games is 12-25.  I have so many loses it just isn't fun. 

My other problem is finding a champion that fits me.  I am terrible at assassins and casters, and everything else I am just average at.  Shen is about the only guy I can play somewhat effectively, but one of the guys I play with has decided to pick him every time now and never lets me use him.  I probably would not mind, except he uses Shen as a Ganker and not a tank/initiator.  So, he is a useless Shen.  I have yet to see him pull the other team onto him during team fights.  He usually runs away because he doesn't want to lose his precious Leviathan stacks.

Come to think of it, the two guys I play with are both non-team players.  Maybe that is the problem.  Hell, they yell at me when Blitzcrank's lightning "steals" one of their kills in a team fight. 

Ok, sorry for the rant.  I can't rant to my friends since none of them are gamers.

Long story short, I like the idea behind the game and want to enjoy it but man I am having no fun with it at all right now.

Playing: Nothing really.  Bring on Diablo 3 and Guild Wars 2.
Tals
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #441 on: July 05, 2010, 03:35:42 AM »

Sounds like you need to change who you are playing with. The level curve is an easy one - you're not farming effectively - I used to be the same. Stay in the farming lanes longer and if you're on a 2 person lane make sure 3 arn't there. Try not to spend time out of this lane, moving to diff lanes will reduce your farming and shopping will as well so do with care. Regarding characters, try ashe he is squishy but if you go bf sword first then boots of swiftness, infinity blade, then the bow or madreds if you're against a tank then you can't go wrong. Ashe generally goes mid and should play agressively. I always go dorans blade first with ashe as it gives 120 health + attack damage. Runes I have tier 3 and armour pen/mana regen. My other hero is alistair. Alistair is a total tank you won't see him get many kills but he'll roll in the assists. Biggest tip if you are struggling on heroes like I was is stick with one and get good at him. It will reduce your flexibilty later but you will be better. Ditch your group and join either the gwj group or ocuk dependant on region. It's a team game not who can get the most kills

Currently Playing: Psyconauts, lol, wee raptr: Tals Steam: Talsworthy
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #442 on: July 05, 2010, 05:34:21 AM »

Quote from: Grimwar on July 05, 2010, 02:23:33 AM

Come to think of it, the two guys I play with are both non-team players.  Maybe that is the problem.  Hell, they yell at me when Blitzcrank's lightning "steals" one of their kills in a team fight.

Wow, sounds like you have some bad friends.  This is a team game, it's not about who gets the kill statistic.
Abaddon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #443 on: July 05, 2010, 06:01:16 AM »

Grim, Im pretty sure we are on each others friends lists. Feel free to send me a tell in game anytime Im in. I have another friend I play with and we are both pretty easy going. Would gladly team up with you for some matches.
Grimwar
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #444 on: July 05, 2010, 06:28:25 AM »

Yeah, it seems we are never on at the same time.  The next two weeks I will be working at night though, so it will be mostly PUGs for me until after unless you play late night.  (as in 0100 and later Mountain time)

On a side note I finally had a good game playing Blitzcrank again.  My lane partner was Teemo and he was really in tune with what I was up to.  The synergy was awesome.  He went 23/0/5 and I was 5/0/23.  The opponents in our lane ended up quitting after we annihilated them over and over.  I may end up sticking with Blitzcrank.  He does so much to help the team which I enjoy more than straight up killers.  The only down side is Teemo got all the credit when they said he was carrying us, but he did point out I got him all of those kills. 

I have a hard time choosing though.  I also really like Kassadin, Shen and Ezreal.  Kassadin is definitely the hardest of the bunch though.  When he is good, he is a terror, but most of the time I get mowed.  I have played about 20 practice games with him and still find myself in too many bad situations with him.

KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #445 on: July 05, 2010, 07:08:51 AM »

Blitzcrank is definitely a good hero.

Did you buy all those heroes with Riot Points?  Because Kassadin, Shen, Ezreal, etc have not been any of the free heroes in the past several weeks... at least not since I have started playing.  So I haven't gotten the chance to try them yet.
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #446 on: July 05, 2010, 07:11:17 AM »

As the gt community appears to be building I would suggest you do this in pvp.net

click the speech bubble icon
click the doorway icon
type gt
click the + icon
click the cog icon , tick autojoin on startup

What this does is has a chat window in game with all gt members. On euro change it for ocuk. Makes it easier to link up if you don't have voip or some other way of finding each other

Grimwar
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #447 on: July 05, 2010, 08:20:58 AM »

Quote from: KePoW on July 05, 2010, 07:08:51 AM

Blitzcrank is definitely a good hero.

Did you buy all those heroes with Riot Points?  Because Kassadin, Shen, Ezreal, etc have not been any of the free heroes in the past several weeks... at least not since I have started playing.  So I haven't gotten the chance to try them yet.

Yeah, I put in $35 so I could have some heroes always at my disposal.  I did a lot of research first and have picked well for the most part.  Right now I own Blitzcrank, Shen, Kassadin, Ezreal, Kennen and Dr. Mundo and Mundo is the only one I do not like. 

Tals

View Profile
« Reply #448 on: July 06, 2010, 07:59:14 PM »

Season one is a week away

http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=156406

We've been doing a whole lot of talking about Season One lately, and I am sure that you're all wondering when exactly you'll be able to start indulging in the epic new features that come with it. Well, today, Iím here to officially share with you that we are targeting the 13th of July for the launch of Season One. That's right, Runeterrans, your long wait is nearly over! This time next week you'll be firing up your first ranked games in competitive Season One! I hope you're all prepared!

Tals

View Profile
« Reply #449 on: July 09, 2010, 11:54:51 PM »

Well we had one of those games which prove that the game is never lost till the fat lady sings smile

« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 12:10:48 AM by Tals » Logged

KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #450 on: July 10, 2010, 12:27:11 AM »

Wow... your team was really bad, haha.
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #451 on: July 10, 2010, 05:33:13 AM »

That would be true if the game was about kills but it's more about taking the towers. That we managed to only loose 3 towers is pretty awesome.

rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #452 on: July 12, 2010, 11:17:13 PM »

I don't know what this whole Season One business is, but some of us old school Wanderers have been playing sporadically on the US Servers.  Feel free to add us to your Friends lists and let's hook up some time!

Rittchard
Ayngel
Cuthroat
Falcon
Ayngel
Appaz (also 2nd account Wolfman)
BanzaiExsulum
WillTeach (aka Toxo)

P.S.  I totally suck at this game and I apologize in advance if you get stuck in a lane with me.
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #453 on: July 12, 2010, 11:38:55 PM »

Season one if you are less than a level 20 is a polishing of the game lobby interface and will most likely mean games will have less +20's in. For +20's we get a new game mechanism which gives more stats, draft mode for starting games and the ability for solo/2 player teams not to play premades. Really looking forward to it but I suspect the servers will creak under the pressure. They appeared to be flagging tonight in readiness

KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #454 on: July 13, 2010, 12:59:28 AM »

Quote from: rittchard on July 12, 2010, 11:17:13 PM

I don't know what this whole Season One business is, but some of us old school Wanderers have been playing sporadically on the US Servers.  Feel free to add us to your Friends lists and let's hook up some time!

Rittchard
Ayngel
Cuthroat
Falcon
Ayngel
BanzaiExsulum
WillTeach (aka Toxo)

Wow Appaz, does he still post anywhere?
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #455 on: July 13, 2010, 10:05:11 PM »

Very rarely, but Appaz will post on the Wanderers forums.
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #456 on: July 13, 2010, 10:45:49 PM »

Season 1 is here smile

Release Notes
http://eu.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=15545

Interview with the producer
http://g4tv.com/videos/47372/League-of-Legends-Season-One-Interview/?quality=hd

Trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzMnCv_lPxI&NR=1

rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #457 on: July 13, 2010, 11:41:18 PM »

Can anyone actually play today?  It looks like server status doesn't work and their forums are down too.
Abaddon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #458 on: July 14, 2010, 12:27:36 AM »

Quote from: rittchard on July 13, 2010, 11:41:18 PM

Can anyone actually play today?  It looks like server status doesn't work and their forums are down too.
Not sure when you posted this but as of 6pm MST game is up and working. However forums are still down and they've basically disabled practice games, you now need 4 live players. Apparently this is because the servers cannot handle the added load of having season one go live today.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 12:51:20 AM by Abaddon » Logged
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #459 on: July 14, 2010, 05:59:24 PM »

Quote from: Abaddon on July 14, 2010, 12:27:36 AM

Can anyone actually play today?  It looks like server status doesn't work and their forums are down too.
Not sure when you posted this but as of 6pm MST game is up and working. However forums are still down and they've basically disabled practice games, you now need 4 live players. Apparently this is because the servers cannot handle the added load of having season one go live today.

Ahhh OK.  I was able to get on last night for a few hours but also noticed the change in practice games.  I ended up playing in one called "nubs vs bots" where 5 random people played against 5 bots - which was fairly amusing.
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #460 on: July 14, 2010, 06:04:17 PM »

Can anyone actually play today?  It looks like server status doesn't work and their forums are down too.

Euro servers are running sweet. Like the fact you have different ELO for solo/3v3 premade and 5v5 premade

PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #461 on: July 14, 2010, 06:13:40 PM »

Quote from: rittchard on July 14, 2010, 05:59:24 PM

Quote from: Abaddon on July 14, 2010, 12:27:36 AM

Ahhh OK.  I was able to get on last night for a few hours but also noticed the change in practice games.  I ended up playing in one called "nubs vs bots" where 5 random people played against 5 bots - which was fairly amusing.

Mmmm. I'm also a Nub at this game. We should join forces Rittchard and take on some bots.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #462 on: July 14, 2010, 10:11:47 PM »

Quote from: PR_GMR on July 14, 2010, 06:13:40 PM

Mmmm. I'm also a Nub at this game. We should join forces Rittchard and take on some bots.

Cool!  As noted above, some of us are playing on the US Servers, join "Wanderers" chat channel or friend:

Rittchard
Ayngel
Cuthroat (also 2nd account Smellycat)
Falcon
Ayngel
BanzaiExsulum
WillTeach (aka Toxo)
Meltar
Ythrak
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #463 on: July 14, 2010, 11:43:44 PM »

The new launcher interface is definitely better than before.  Still could use some tweaks and improvements though.

Still a super fun game, I love seeing the continued support and new champions regularly.
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #464 on: July 15, 2010, 12:57:42 AM »

I've given up on it for time being. Bad lag, game that crashed which couldn't get back into. Then another game with lag, and a DC'd which led to a loss. Not gonna play when you ranking is screwed over by issues out of my control. The Riot servers have had allot of problems for weeks and the Season 1 start has made it far worse. They simply aren't ready to support it. Love the game itself but its not worth my gaming time until they get it stable.
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #465 on: July 15, 2010, 03:26:47 AM »

I've only had lag when Season 1 just started, which is understandable.  Never had problems before.
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #466 on: July 15, 2010, 06:53:09 AM »

I love the new draft mode, as a team we got badly owned but that was understandable as all the ratings sort themselves out and now we are playing against premades. The solo queue also works well.

Had a couple of crashes but the eu servers handled it better than us from the sound of it. Game went from awesome to off the scale smile

rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #467 on: July 15, 2010, 09:26:27 PM »

Thus far I haven't had a single issue with lag or crashing on my end.  The closest was an error message that popped up but then it went straight to the match afterwards.

I'm wondering if they have local servers in the LA area, as I noticed my ping numbers are always green and I'm almost always the first one "Summoning."  All the guys I play with in SoCal also are listed with green ping numbers.  Or maybe I just don't understand how the whole game setup works, are the numbers relative to you?
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #468 on: July 16, 2010, 05:57:10 AM »

Gotta admit--This game is helluva fun! Hooked up with Rittchard and some of the Wanderers online tonight. Finally got my feet wet with 'real' games against live opponents. Won the first game (that was a lark!). Lost the second. But the last one was the most epic: Ritt, Ayngel, Ythgar, and myself with one pickup player named NightHawk. At first, things looked dire. I totally lost control of my Champion there for a bit and was getting killed a lot. Somehow, I started to get ahold of my role in the team (Morgana as an assist Champion, not offense) and everyone else started to kick ass. We actually turned the tide around and won the game! Gonna have to play this one more!
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #469 on: July 16, 2010, 06:17:09 AM »

Quote from: PR_GMR on July 16, 2010, 05:57:10 AM

Gotta admit--This game is helluva fun! Hooked up with Rittchard and some of the Wanderers online tonight. Finally got my feet wet with 'real' games against live opponents. Won the first game (that was a lark!). Lost the second. But the last one was the most epic: Ritt, Ayngel, Ythgar, and myself with one pickup player named NightHawk. At first, things looked dire. I totally lost control of my Champion there for a bit and was getting killed a lot. Somehow, I started to get ahold of my role in the team (Morgana as an assist Champion, not offense) and everyone else started to kick ass. We actually turned the tide around and won the game! Gonna have to play this one more!

Yes, they took Dota which was a complex beast at best but huge amounts of fun if you got over the learning curve and made it way more accessible. You can't beat playing in a premade on voip - each game still feels unique and that's something like 450 games in!

Glad to see you're liking the game, don't forget GT has a VOIP channel care of Hark and Kato

Tals

View Profile
« Reply #470 on: July 16, 2010, 06:41:02 AM »

One of the biggest improvements IMHO of season 1 is the solo/2player ranked games where no longer will you end up against a premade who has the advantage just by being in a premade! Now if you are in a Solo or 2 player team you will be matched against like minded teams. Far fairer - Brad from Stardock tried to find a solution for Demigod but lack of volume of players meant one was never found. This game has the volume so when you hit level 20 in a ranked game premades are against premades and randoms against randoms.

They also separated your rating between the game types Solo/Premade 3v3/Premade 5v5 so you don't have to worry about Solo bringing your premade rating down smile

http://eu.leagueoflegends.com/ladders

skystride

View Profile
« Reply #471 on: July 19, 2010, 10:17:09 PM »

What a great free game!  I started playing over the weekend and now I'm hooked.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #472 on: July 20, 2010, 05:53:13 PM »

Yeah, I don't know how long it will last, but I'm getting pretty addicted at the moment smile

And again, for US server players looking for friends to play with, we have a pretty nice pool of 15+ people playing now.  Always more fun to play with friends  icon_razz
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #473 on: July 21, 2010, 12:14:30 PM »

I got sucked into this game in january, since then I've not really played anything else and have hit around 400 games. Community is a big deal in this game so if you do hook into a group the experience is even sweeter

PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #474 on: July 21, 2010, 01:53:26 PM »

This little game is quickly becoming very addictive. Played several games last night with the guys.. but was looking for 'one more!' at 3AM. That's when you know you're addicted. Now, the lag did its fair share to cramp everyone's style last night, but we did managed to win some. I'm sitting here at work, and what do I want to do? Yep, play 'one more' game of 'League Of Legends'!
Chesspieceface
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #475 on: July 21, 2010, 04:52:22 PM »

I'm having great fun playing with everyone.  Thanks for including me!
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #476 on: July 21, 2010, 07:52:55 PM »

Last night was fun.  My single complaint with the game is that matches tend to drag on really long sometimes.  I've had a 50 minute 3v3 and several long 5v5 matches.  Long matches are fine when you have a pitched battle but sometimes you just want that quick fix and have 20 minutes to kill.  They should add some modes like that.  I know comparing Guild Wars to a game like this might not make a lot of sense, but I really enjoyed how you could drop in for 10 minutes and get a quickie match completed.

P.S. I'm skystride in LOL.
Chesspieceface
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #477 on: July 21, 2010, 08:28:30 PM »

Practice mode is back today!
Chesspieceface
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #478 on: July 25, 2010, 07:20:01 PM »

Protip:  The LoL box is still available from Gamestop, et. al. for $20.  The code inside gives you the Collector's bundle including $10 worth of riot points.  You could then parlay that $10 to buying the Champions bundle for just $15 more dollars if you wanted. Either way its 20 champions and some runes for $20 minus $10 free riot points.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #479 on: July 26, 2010, 11:39:14 PM »

Quote from: skystride on July 21, 2010, 07:52:55 PM

Last night was fun.  My single complaint with the game is that matches tend to drag on really long sometimes.  I've had a 50 minute 3v3 and several long 5v5 matches.  Long matches are fine when you have a pitched battle but sometimes you just want that quick fix and have 20 minutes to kill.  They should add some modes like that.  I know comparing Guild Wars to a game like this might not make a lot of sense, but I really enjoyed how you could drop in for 10 minutes and get a quickie match completed.

I was thinking about this yesterday and while I do agree that some sort of faster play mode would be enjoyable (maybe a straight 5 on 5 with no creeps or towers?), I think part of the beauty (or balance) of the game is that it has been designed (generally speaking) that even if things start off poorly in the first portion of the game, you still have a chance to win if you can hunker down, take advantage of every little mistake your opponent makes, level on the side, build up your characters, etc etc.  This is something that few of the GW battles offered (at least in my recollection).  It seemed like more often than not you could tell if your team was headed for a loss and there was little you could do to counteract.  In LoL I almost always feel like there's a chance to turn things around, mainly because I've played in enough games where my team was able to turn a bad situation around.  Obviously this all has to do with the way the game is designed, with the creeps and the items and levelling all contributing to the flow of the game.  Some characters just don't shine until late game, or with the right items.  Unfortunately I think this also means that the games inherently will run longer.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 11:40:58 PM by rittchard » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 17   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: