http://gamingtrend.com
October 21, 2014, 04:47:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 17   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: League of Legends - Free to Play  (Read 37405 times)
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: November 05, 2009, 05:36:16 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on October 27, 2009, 03:00:24 PM

Why is that funny? icon_wink  (Totally read that wrong the first time, BTW)

I've been reading spectacular reviews for League of Legends, so I think I'll get it.  

The Collector's Edition is $30, is there value in this?  It includes: 20 additional playable Champions, four special Summoner Runes, $10 of Riot Points for use in the Armory and an exclusive Champion skin featuring Kale, the Judicator

Also, LoL is free-to-play, right?

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: November 05, 2009, 05:42:01 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on November 05, 2009, 05:36:16 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on October 27, 2009, 03:00:24 PM

Why is that funny? icon_wink  (Totally read that wrong the first time, BTW)

heck, I wrote it and it took me a moment to figure out what I was LoL'ing about just now  icon_lol  can't play LoL right now though or else Dragon Age will eat me in my sleep.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: November 05, 2009, 08:44:52 PM »

Anyone try the CE?

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: November 06, 2009, 10:27:19 PM »

I DL'd the free version.  Doesn't seem like the CE is something anyone but a diehard would need.

Obviously similar to Demigod, but I like the style of this a little more (also it's from the guys who originated the style, I guess, so you have to give 'em credit).  It's got that borderline cartoon Warcraft III/WoW look.

Not sure about the pacing, as my first game against bots took a little longer than I would have liked (45 min to an hour).

I read one review that described it as not n00b friendly, but it seemed very hand-holdy to me.  Sure there are a ton of Summoners to choose from, which can be a little overwhelming (I took so long pouring through them that the game randomly picked one).  And the store has a lot of stuff available, but the gameplay seemed pretty straightforward.

Biggest drawback is that there's only one map, so far (though another's in beta).  eek

Overall, especially for a free game, it's pretty damn good.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2009, 11:23:21 PM by Bullwinkle » Logged

Kossak
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #164 on: December 08, 2009, 12:02:04 PM »

Wonder if somebody still plays HoN here? Beneath you have info about what S2 (developer of Heroes of Newerth) is currently working on. Retail Launch date is very close (so beta is over soon) and the game itself is still getting new content/hero/patch every week or two. For me it's the best game ever smile

And check this new trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebD-3RVt_9g

I wanted to throw out another update of things we're currently working on:

Match Making!
Many of you are aware that the initial testing and development of our match making system is already well underway. We're making good progress, and are excited to share the details of how this functions later. For now we're testing solo-match making, but once that is complete and functional we'll be able to pretty quickly introduce arranged team-style match making, as well as potentially a team finder tool so that groups of 2 or 3 can more easily find other groups of 2 and participate in the 5v5 match making system.

Replays
We are finalizing the last pieces of our replay system which will make replays fully backwards compatible from version to version. We are very close on this and can not wait to get replays in your hands! You Tube, here comes the attack of HoN Fan Videos!!!

Deadwood Hero
He is almost done and will roundout our initial Open Beta & Retail Launch hero line up. We have plans to consistently add heroes through out HoN's life cycle. It is very important that everyone understands we will not rest at 60 at all. I can not stress this enough!!!

Automated Tournament System
This is still a work in progress, and to those who didn't catch our last update on this, it's a system that allows users to create tournaments on the website and seamlessly integrates into our other systems, notifying players of upcoming games, automatically submitting match results, and automatically updating the brackets. Participating in competitive HoN and organizing competitive events will be a breeze!

Once the ground work for the Tournament System is in place, we'll have most of what we need to very quickly get our League system operational, with a similar level of integration and support. As previously announced, we plan on having a $10,000 initial beta tournament for this upon completion (with more details down the road).

Preparing for Open Beta & Retail Launch
The title says it all. We are really close

Add me: Raptr: Kossak, Steam: Kossak
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: December 08, 2009, 07:52:00 PM »

You know I am tempted - strangely. However have they yet incorporated a play against the ai - just went into it now and seems to still have no discernable way to practice without embarrasing yourself?

Currently Playing: Psyconauts, lol, wee raptr: Tals Steam: Talsworthy
Kossak
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #166 on: December 08, 2009, 09:46:50 PM »

Quote from: Tals on December 08, 2009, 07:52:00 PM

You know I am tempted - strangely. However have they yet incorporated a play against the ai - just went into it now and seems to still have no discernable way to practice without embarrasing yourself?
there's no AI but there are:
1) practise mode in which you can do anything, try any hero (you're the only one human on the map) you can spawn any hero/creep/building/item and take control of it, have infinite money, level, hp, mana etc.
2) unranked play - just setup (or join) lobby that is "unranked" and no statistics will be recorded
3) remember to join "noob tier" or better host your own lobby (ranked or unranked) and write in the name "noobs only or kick" or "k/d < 0.5", or "psr<1300" and you will kick everyone that doesn't meet these criteria smile

btw. i have about 380 hours of HoN played (according to xfire) and i'm still not bored with it - i play almost everyday with friends.

Tals

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: December 22, 2009, 07:11:13 AM »

Is anyone playing League of Legends, i've got the client on my PC ran through the tutorial and in all it is looking quite nice. I think it is a step up from Demigod but below Hon in complexity which for me appeals quite a lot.

As it is free to play anyone can pick it up and play - as I understand it the pay element comes if you want to unlock stuff early.

Tals

Tals

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: December 23, 2009, 08:37:34 PM »

Quote from: Kossak on December 08, 2009, 09:46:50 PM

Quote from: Tals on December 08, 2009, 07:52:00 PM

there's no AI but there are:
1) practise mode in which you can do anything, try any hero (you're the only one human on the map) you can spawn any hero/creep/building/item and take control of it, have infinite money, level, hp, mana etc.
2) unranked play - just setup (or join) lobby that is "unranked" and no statistics will be recorded
3) remember to join "noob tier" or better host your own lobby (ranked or unranked) and write in the name "noobs only or kick" or "k/d < 0.5", or "psr<1300" and you will kick everyone that doesn't meet these criteria smile

btw. i have about 380 hours of HoN played (according to xfire) and i'm still not bored with it - i play almost everyday with friends.

Kossack how do you do the practice mode where you can play just one hero?

Tals

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: December 23, 2009, 09:38:10 PM »

Quote from: Tals on December 23, 2009, 08:37:34 PM

Kossack how do you do the practice mode where you can play just one hero?

No worries found it

Kossak
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #170 on: December 23, 2009, 10:10:40 PM »

ok great, btw. you are Tals or talsworthy in HoN cause there are both accounts smile

Tals

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: December 23, 2009, 10:12:12 PM »

Quote from: Kossak on December 23, 2009, 10:10:40 PM

ok great, btw. you are Tals or talsworthy in HoN cause there are both accounts smile

talsworthy

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: December 24, 2009, 04:45:33 AM »

I still like this game (especially since I can afford it slywink )

Harkonis is the name
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: December 24, 2009, 06:14:50 AM »

Quote from: Harkonis on December 24, 2009, 04:45:33 AM

I still like this game (especially since I can afford it slywink )

Harkonis is the name

OK my New Years resolution will have to be to play this game more - maybe the 3 of us need to try to get together. I'm not going to be able to play till the 29th but after that I should be around.

Tals

Kossak
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #174 on: December 24, 2009, 08:50:22 AM »

you mean HoN? wow that should be great cause it's the best game ever biggrin. I have you as friends in game, cause before you stopped playing we were in the same clan [GT] smile. I usually play with 2 friends (+2 other, just learning the game in opposite team smile) so we would be all in one team.

I give some helpful links, cause - as you know - the game is very complicated (well maybe except for Harkonis smile) and after playing 410 hours of it i still don't know/remember quite many items/heroes/abilities etc.

HoN Wiki (especially Heroes and Shop)
Premium Guides
Vide Tutorials by Nigma
or just general Strategy or Training Grounds forums.

and some nice tools:

Replays Portal - we can't yet download whole games, but we can see all informations about every match played (video replays will be available soon) searching by id/player name/hero or whatever
Players Ladder - every bit of information about the player (which hero he uses, kills/death/assists/creeps, time, items bought, plays with who etc.) Check for example me (these stats will be reset after the game will be released)
Clan Management

Tals

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: December 24, 2009, 09:05:31 AM »

Are you still in GT or did you change and if so can noobs enter?

Yes plan to check it out - any idea on release dates I do want to give it a go but not ready to splash the wonga yet

Kossak
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #176 on: December 24, 2009, 10:40:20 AM »

no i left GT after nobody was playing in our clan except me smile I joined Legion Civilized which i wrote you about earlier: clan for nice people, which can help you get into the game in a polite manner, but they unfortunately are not recruiting at the moment (dunno why, i don't read LC forum very often now).

The game is going to be released after New Year (don't know exactly when, but soon) so all not paid accounts will be deleted (for now account costs 30$ and is one time only, no periodical fees apply) and all stats will be reset. All the heroes that are going to be in release day are already in game. But of course it doesn't mean there won't be more after release, not only S2 will deliver additional content, but community will have very advanced tools to make their own everything with this game. Even now there are plenty of mods, i use several of them (for UI improvement/additional in-game info)

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: December 25, 2009, 08:06:22 AM »

I meant LoL, still found that I prefer'd the gameplay over HoN despite not liking the art direction as much.  it's also the cheaper option slywink
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: December 25, 2009, 09:10:25 AM »

Ok when I get back to a pc let's get some games going. The small amount I played last week I enjoyed, I think lol takes a better line between hard core and casual and we can play for free which is a bonus

Tals

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: December 25, 2009, 12:34:42 PM »

Quote from: Tals on December 25, 2009, 09:10:25 AM

Ok when I get back to a pc let's get some games going. The small amount I played last week I enjoyed, I think lol takes a better line between hard core and casual and we can play for free which is a bonus

Actually Hark whilst Hon is free through the beta it's probably worth pushing towards that if it sucks me in i'll then get it - if not i'll then go back to lol. That said the big issue I have with both of these games is it requires an hour to play. Whereas altitude is a 10 minute blast and seems to be getting my game balance just right.

Kossak
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #180 on: December 25, 2009, 04:12:54 PM »

Quote from: Tals on December 25, 2009, 12:34:42 PM

Actually Hark whilst Hon is free through the beta it's probably worth pushing towards that if it sucks me in i'll then get it - if not i'll then go back to lol. That said the big issue I have with both of these games is it requires an hour to play. Whereas altitude is a 10 minute blast and seems to be getting my game balance just right.

yep, better to try HoN till it's free (beta). But if you won't have a bit more of time for this game you most probably won't like it. Remember me few months ago, how i hated HoN? smile When i gave the game more time and learned a bit of it (read guides), it started to be so addictive and fun that now after 400h hour of play i'm still not bored and the games suprises me very often. I think this steep learnig curve and great difficulty is what makes this game so wonderful. If the game was easy for everyone, you woudn't have that feeling that you learned something really hard and achieved something that wasn't easy smile.
The game for sure is not for casuals (better play Demigod/Lol then) but you - Tals and Hark- spend so much time in games that i woudn't call you casual gamers smile

Kossak
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #181 on: January 12, 2010, 08:12:40 AM »

new, patch 1.64 is here! We have REPLAYS biggrin
besides many changes described here.
Matchmaking is working in the test client so it will be in beta client soon too smile

btw.:
Now, this is a story all about how
This game got flipped-turned upside down
And I'd like to take a minute
Just sit right there
I'll tell you how we balanced the game and made it so fair

Near bot lane-n-jungle, he sat and gazed
At the full lane was where he spent most of his days
Chillin' out hittin' denyin' all cool
And sendin' all the kids back to the pool
When a couple of guys, who were up to no good
Startin' making trouble in his neighborhood
He lost one big fight and raged everywhere
Then demanded we all make the game way more fair!

Y'all said we're so bad and had all this fear
That no change would be fresh since we won't do a mirror
If anything you said that such a patch is rare
But we just said 'Have some faith, yo' - 'Don't be a square!'

We rolled out a patch around seven or eight
And you yelled to the devs 'Yo homes did us a favor!'
We looked to our kingdom
It was finally there
To sit on the throne as the game that's most fair...

Tals

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: January 22, 2010, 12:13:10 AM »

Played a couple of games of LoL tonight, really like the game play - I always feel with HoN it's just a tad over the hard core that I can handle - for example the sheer amount of items and mix of heroes whereas Lol goes through each one. Both games we won but I was definitely the weakest link smile

Tals

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: January 22, 2010, 07:56:36 AM »

Bought the collectors edition last night, the 20 heroes you get are fixed but that is more than DemiGod to start. Really enjoyed the gameplay last night.

Tals

Tals

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: January 25, 2010, 11:33:08 PM »

You could say it was a good game smile

Kossak
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #185 on: January 26, 2010, 10:44:11 PM »

hmm it's a bit confusing talking about 3 games in one thread - HoN deserves it's own thread! biggrin Maybe mod could split this thread into 3? Anyway i post:

Today i played few great games using Valkyrie (this arrow throwing hero):

And i made a movie from this match! Check this movie on xfire:

I mean my arrow throw at about time 1:22. What do you think? I used some slowmotion here. Man, i love these HoN replays smile. I posted this video on Xfire/HoN Contest, so appreciate any votes, thanks biggrin
(or in-game replay, match id: 23630772, time about 15:00)

Hmm when i get some video editing software, maybe i'll make more HoN movies and put them on youtube.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2010, 10:48:03 PM by Kossak » Logged

Tals

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: January 26, 2010, 10:57:37 PM »

smile Definitely LoL and HoN need seperate threads ...DG well its going going ..... Netcode in these games is everything and DG just didn't have it. I have yet to have a laggy game in any of my LoL games and I suspect you have the same experience in HoN

Kossak
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #187 on: January 27, 2010, 10:00:12 AM »

yes i'm playing on EU servers and don't see any lags. But even when i played US servers (even 250ms pings) there were no lags at all! Although i heard that it happened in early beta, when they had slow servers, but they changed it and EU region now has the most powerful HoN machines in the world smile.

btw. Did you know that replays generate more than 1 terabyte of data per day? And every second more than one replay is uploaded to their FTP server smile
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 10:03:07 AM by Kossak » Logged

Tals

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: January 27, 2010, 11:33:45 AM »

I need to check the LoL replays out - can't remember if they have them. They do have a nice feature when you die which shows how you died smile

I did try a quick look in HoN but I think the differences between the two mean it will probably be unlikely for me to hop over and likewise I can understand those same things may keep you from trying lol.

The mini map for starters - in LoL's I can see instantly everyone who is in view of my team. If they are not then they don't show. Now this can be handled by communication but this changes it. Not sure about pings in Hon but Lols are very directed. Alt and click a enemy and a marker appears so we can direct an attack on him. Do it on a turret and a call to defend the turret occurs on an enemy turret likewise but attack the turret.

Lol works on inhibitor system so if I kill an enemies inihibitor this allows me to spawn big creeps. Hons it just reduces the creeps and you don't get upgraded creeps as the game progresses (unless you kill the inhibitor) - the upgraded creep I could see just keeping the game going. Max level in game is 18 so someone doesn't run away too much.

So far Lol's games tend to be around 1/2 hour - Hon's I understand can be but are generally nudging the hour mark.

They are both great games though - those reading the thread should ensure they have at least one - its an awesome genre.

Tals

Kossak
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #189 on: January 27, 2010, 12:14:39 PM »

Minimap works the same for HoN - you see everyone who is not in fog of war (it means when your team heroes/creeps/buildings/wards see it or even some kinds of projectiles like Valkyrie Javelin, or Pharaoh soul). Pings (alt+click) are there too (they are shown as animated circles in the color of the hero that did the ping). I have also a mod that automatically informs my team (with one mouse click) about lane miss'ess, which lane to push, retreat, gank, runes spawns etc.

As for creeps: neutral creeps are upgraded by small amount every some time. Your team creeps are upgraded under smiliar conditions - after destroying barracks. But if you destroy barracks from all 3 lanes, mega creeps spawn and they are really powerful. If you have mega creeps you don't have to do anything - they will eventually destroy the enemy shrine, it's just a matter of time.

My average Game Length is 41m 46s, two of my friends have 36 mins and 32 mins, so i guess it's quite similar and depends on the person. Though most of my friends enjoy long games (> 1 hour), cause they are really chalenging, and the win after hard play is much more fun then.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 12:17:18 PM by Kossak » Logged

Tals

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: January 27, 2010, 12:44:38 PM »

When I did my 5 minute Hon the mini map looked different

If you view this screenshot

View it full screen you can tell where all the heroes are and what they are (the circles) and if an enemy was in view of creep or champion they would also show.

Kossak
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #191 on: January 27, 2010, 12:54:05 PM »

You can tell it in HoN too (what particular team/enemy hero it is). You just don't see avatar of the hero but the green/red circle (team/enemy) with the inside color of the hero. It's more difficult to recognize heroes this way (by just looking on the minimap, heroes' teams although are clearly recognized), but the circles in HoN are smaller and hide smaller part of the map this way, so you can see and recognize other heroes/creeps even if there are close to each other. And knowing what color is what/who is another factor that distinguishes noobs from advanced players smile
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 12:58:25 PM by Kossak » Logged

Tals

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: January 27, 2010, 06:41:25 PM »

It's more associating the colour and what player is responsible for that and therefore what character he is playing. I don't think that is Noob, that's just a memory game - I prefer it a bit clearer smile

Tals

Kossak
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #193 on: January 28, 2010, 09:14:44 AM »

new HoN patch is out 1.66.1, details here - lots of balance changes. Now i don't know what to play- either this or BFBC2 beta smile

Kossak
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #194 on: January 30, 2010, 04:44:48 PM »

HoN OPEN BETA lasts for 15 more hours.
Every HoN fan on facebook received link to create free beta account. If you're not a member of HoN group, become one here: http://www.facebook.com/heroesofnewerth. But if you weren't a fan earlier, you won't have this link, but then you can try mine: http://www.heroesofnewerth.com/huv8y3aw/open_create_account.php

Tals

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: January 30, 2010, 06:00:40 PM »

Quote from: Kossak on January 30, 2010, 04:44:48 PM

HoN OPEN BETA lasts for 15 more hours.
Every HoN fan on facebook received link to create free beta account. If you're not a member of HoN group, become one here: http://www.facebook.com/heroesofnewerth. But if you weren't a fan earlier, you won't have this link, but then you can try mine: http://www.heroesofnewerth.com/huv8y3aw/open_create_account.php

When are they planning to take the game live?

Kossak
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #196 on: January 30, 2010, 07:04:19 PM »

nobody knows it, they say "soon". I think they want to make matchmaking and some balance changes before release. But for me the game is out already for almost half a year smile

Tals

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: January 31, 2010, 10:32:50 AM »

Quote from: Kossak on January 30, 2010, 07:04:19 PM

nobody knows it, they say "soon". I think they want to make matchmaking and some balance changes before release. But for me the game is out already for almost half a year smile

I would agree, i'm interested because at that point is when people will have to pay money or not - I suspect this is the prime reason they have kept it in beta

Tals

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: February 01, 2010, 09:56:10 AM »

Quote from: Tals on January 31, 2010, 10:32:50 AM

Quote from: Kossak on January 30, 2010, 07:04:19 PM

I would agree, i'm interested because at that point is when people will have to pay money or not - I suspect this is the prime reason they have kept it in beta

On a slightly related note - I would probably say that LoL feels more like a beta than HoN - it still has a number of features that are being added - ranked matchmaking (premade and non premade) as well as currently only one map. So far every time I play is a new experience but will be looking forward to the new stuff they have planned over the coming months

Kossak
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #199 on: February 01, 2010, 10:12:10 AM »

For me it's amazing that after 550 hours of HoN i still learn new things! I didn't supposed, when i was first playing it, that the game is so deep and advanced. It's interesting that after this whole time when i play a game i still sometimes shout: "wow how did he do it? i didn't think it's possible!" or "i didn't know it behaves/exists like this!" etc. Then i watch replay of it and learn how it was done:)

It's always nice they are going to support their game for long time (both HoN and LoL), but i would be happy even without those new things/maps/heroes. HoN community already can make its own things using mods. But later we will get very advanced map editor too. It will allow you not only to make your own maps, and not only things that change/add sth to HoN. It will allow you to make whole new game on HoN engine - it could be for example FPS and not RTS/RPG. Or as somebody suggested to make such a mod/map, that outside the map we would fight like in FPS, and inside like RTS smile
« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 10:15:30 AM by Kossak » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 17   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: