http://gamingtrend.com
December 19, 2014, 10:13:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Late to the table, better game, Godfather (360) or Just Cause (360)  (Read 1172 times)
jblank
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

View Profile WWW
« on: January 23, 2007, 01:27:25 AM »

Thinking of picking one of these up. The reviews are close on both titles, but impressions are always key, so which do you guys think would be the better purchase?

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2007, 01:30:19 AM »

I'm gonna say Just Cause, just because some of the screenies I saw were cool, and despite some of the odd choices for the game, like limited areas to get access to etc. I can't help but wait for the upcoming Wii or PS3 versions of Godfather for the motion control.

I think I would get Just Cause if you can find it for 19.99 and I think there are some places that have it that cheap used.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2007, 01:35:38 AM »

The Godfather is a solid GTA-like with period scenery and weapons. I think the graphics are a bit weak for a 360 game. It could be compared to Mafia without the super slow starter cars.

Just Cause is more modern setting and a bit better looking and a lot more unrealistic in both the stunts you do and the damage you take.

Just Cause has faction grinding for better cars and weapons. The Godfather has grinding for money and respect. I think The Godfather is less repetitive, but a more difficult game until you can afford the high powered weapons. Just Cause has helicopters and skydiving. The Godfather has a better story. The Godfather also has an interesting extortion minigame.

The Godfather also has the awful EA micro-transactions built into the game that totally break immersion until you learn the poeple NOT to talk to. There are weapons and henchmen in the game that you must pay for and as soon as you talk to the person for one of those things it pauses the game and conveniently takes you to the live marketplace to buy them.

Despite that I think The Godfather is the better game for story and immersion. Just Cause is the better game for killing lots of people and blowing stuff up.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2007, 01:40:27 AM »

If you're looking for a game for the 360 go with Just Cause- it's a blast and I heard there are graphical issues with the Godfather on the 360.  If you really want the Godfather get it on the PC for less of the 'pop up' effect.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2007, 01:46:35 AM »

wow i thought there would be more godfather love!  for me at least id say godfather hands down

i thought it was a much better game than just cause (which i didnt really like - out of just cause, saints row and the godfather just cause was last in my book)

just make sure to stick out the early game in the godfather because it can be pretty tough before you build up your mafioso - pace yourself or youll just get frustrated

that said, if you dont enjoy the idea of character progression, levelling and a more "subtle" game world and do just want to blow stuff up go with just cause
Captain Caveman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2007, 02:29:15 AM »

I'm 3 hours into the Godfather and really liking it. I played the Just Cause demo for 10 minutes, stopped to do some errands, and never returned.
rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2007, 04:03:25 AM »

The Godfather is outstanding.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2007, 04:04:18 AM »

I've completed both games at 100% each. Get The Godfather. It handles better, the world is more immersive, and it's just cool to play a gangster game in the 1940s. Just Cause is meh to the extreme with some nifty gunfights and car explosions. The Godfather has nifty gunfights and car explosions too but it's set in New York in the 1940s. "Period piece" FTW.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2007, 04:08:48 AM »

I liked Godfather until the microtransactions thing happened.  I haven't gone back to it since.

I really enjoy Just Cause.  I think it's also one of the most stunning games on the 360.  And it's a lot of fun.  However, it's started crashing for me on a regular basis, so I may never get back to that one either.

Saints Row is great, if that's in the mix at all.

But I've been hearing Crackdown is the one to wait for.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2007, 04:17:45 AM »

The microtransaction thing on The Godfather strikes me as just another way for people to cheat their way through a game instead of naturally unlocking those things. While I agree it's stupid to do that, I can't say that would detract from his enjoyment of the game. None of those things are needed for anything other than being a god right from the start and that takes away from the fun. Plus, it's so much more enjoyable to explore New York City and do all the side missions on your own. Oh, and one thing that I highly advise on the 360 version over the regular version - take people with you when you raid warehouses. That alone would have saved my hide dozens of times.

Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
HankRaptor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2007, 01:56:24 PM »

GODFATHER. If you are a fan of the movie, playing "behind the scenes" is awesome. Just cause is more of a SANDBOX TOY that is fun I love flying the planes, jumping out, parachuting down.... stealing a helicopter out of the air... GREAT! Story sucks, and missions are uninspired.

Wii Number 6291 3315 9378 1013
360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
Crispin sees what you are doing and he is NONE TOO PLEASED.
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2007, 02:24:20 PM »

Quote from: whiteboyskim on January 23, 2007, 04:17:45 AM

The microtransaction thing on The Godfather strikes me as just another way for people to cheat their way through a game instead of naturally unlocking those things. While I agree it's stupid to do that, I can't say that would detract from his enjoyment of the game. None of those things are needed for anything other than being a god right from the start and that takes away from the fun.

I agree with the exception of the way the micro-transactions are implemented. Unless you know ahead of time what to avoid, you just talk to a random henchman or weapon salesman on the street and boom you're switched to the dashboard and taken to the marketplace asked if you want to spend some real world cash... err... points. The way it is integrated, yet not very well integrated, into the game is what bugs me.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2007, 03:16:06 PM »

funny i have just started replaying godfather on 360,as when i bought it i put the disc in for an hour and that was it

i am really enjoying it,i love the movies so this is great seeing both scenes from the films and scenes that are inbetween..the cutscenes are great and the character models spot on,unfortunately though al pacino was doing scarface game at the same time( i also heard he wanted a shit load of money)so they got someone else in to model for the part of michael,but it still works

new york city,although a bit drab,is still great and big. stay away from the crap EA microtransactions(get the free one though)
someone said it isnt that much different from the xbox 1 version,only with a few more missions...i guess the graphics are prolly better(but i wouldnt be suprised with these graphics on an xbox 1)

just cause is also a great game....the island(s) is really,really big...and of course,you have the freedom of the skies when you take an airplane of chopper into the air.......i dont know but taking a plane to its highest peak,and jumping out,just to hear the calm as you fall..is pretty eerie..and the draw distance is good when falling

some of the achievements are quite interesting to get as well(1000ft base jump thing i am thinking off)

damn...not sure which game you should get,they both should be in the pre-owned bin by now,so ..if you can afford them both get them both,LOL......its a good time to go for these games actually

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2007, 04:21:57 PM »

Quote from: coopasonic on January 23, 2007, 02:24:20 PM

The microtransaction thing on The Godfather strikes me as just another way for people to cheat their way through a game instead of naturally unlocking those things. While I agree it's stupid to do that, I can't say that would detract from his enjoyment of the game. None of those things are needed for anything other than being a god right from the start and that takes away from the fun.

I agree with the exception of the way the micro-transactions are implemented. Unless you know ahead of time what to avoid, you just talk to a random henchman or weapon salesman on the street and boom you're switched to the dashboard and taken to the marketplace asked if you want to spend some real world cash... err... points. The way it is integrated, yet not very well integrated, into the game is what bugs me.

Oh damn, I didn't realize that's how they implemented it. Way to make yet another retarded move, EA. 'Grats. retard

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2007, 04:41:28 PM »

Quote from: whiteboyskim on January 23, 2007, 04:21:57 PM

Quote from: coopasonic on January 23, 2007, 02:24:20 PM

Oh damn, I didn't realize that's how they implemented it. Way to make yet another retarded move, EA. 'Grats. retard

Makes me glad I decided not to wait for the 360 version and acquired it for the PC for alot less.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2007, 05:04:51 PM »

oh yeah thats right,you can buy in game money..something like 100k or 200k..for 60-100points....thats just dumb,anyway if you take over a few buisnesses,you can make that money in a short while anyway(im getting 8k every game day at the moment,and i have only extorted a few businesses

jblank

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2007, 05:13:12 PM »

I got both games, haven't played any yet though. Also got GRAW, mainly because of the addiction I have to Rainbow 6 Vegas. I figured if R6V is THIS good, GRAW must be awesome also.

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2007, 08:13:02 PM »

GRAW is nowhere near as good as R6 Vegas singleplayer J. Its much more frustrating, the aiming isn't as smooth, the enemy and team AI is much worse-but its still a fun game and one a lot of people loved.

Quick question about the Godfather PC-does anyone know why I cant find it at EBgames or best buy online? How much is it for pc? Is it totally out of stock now?
JLu

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2007, 05:01:03 PM »

In part thanks to this thread, I'm an hour and a half into the Godfather now...  I'm really enjoying it; my only complaint so far is that I can't find enough businesses to extort as of yet...  smile

XBox Live Gamertag: JLu
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2007, 06:04:46 PM »

yeah i am still playing it ,and enjoying it...dont worry about businesses,you geta  chance to go do them later...just look on your map(start screen) for the businesses...they are plentiful

i wish there were plans to do a godfather 2 and 3 though,as this game is all taken from the first film...but i dont think it will happen,the fan base isnt really there for this game and the reviews weren't great....i know there are a lot of various versions coming out though..just no word on real sequels...getting all the cast back together again(hey maybe pacino would be available this time...and deniro)would also proberbly cost a shit load

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: