http://gamingtrend.com
August 27, 2014, 11:44:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Late to the party: God of War  (Read 596 times)
JCC
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: July 18, 2006, 06:54:52 PM »

I finished this last night. I understand the raves for this one, since its production values are spectacular. The audio in particular is just fantastic. I was very surprised by how short the game was. I think Beyond Good and Evil took me significantly longer to finish. Still, it was a very fun, rated M, action/adventure title. A great game.

Having said that, it's a bit overrated. There are a lot of annoying parts in this game. Most people complain about Hades (and with good reason - it was dreadful). But, I hated a lot of the timed puzzles, and all the balance beam crap too. Climbing those 2 spiked towers in Hades nearly tried my patience to the breaking point. I remember how happy I was last night when I cleared the first tower. Then I saw there was a 2nd one and uttered a moan of despair.

One thing I was surprised about was how few boss battles there were. In the opening level you finish with the great hydra fight, and then you play through the bulk of the game before fighting the next boss! (The big minotaur which was also quite fun!) The ending boss fight(s) with Aires were pretty disappointing. Basically just a normal fight that took longer. Fighting the Kratos clones to protect your family was a nice twist.

Still the good - or great - far outweighs the negatives for me. I had a blast 95% of the way through. While the game is short, I was about ready for it to end, so I won't knock its length. I thought some of the combat waves maybe went on a bit too long, but that's a minor quibble since the combat was so well done and fun to play. Definitely a great game, around an 8.5/10 for me.

Now I am going to try God of War ripoff Spartan: Total Warrior. I expect to be underwhelmed! smile

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2006, 08:16:17 PM »

Play Shadow of Rome!

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2006, 01:04:25 AM »

I'm onboard the overrated bandwagon ... though it's a very fun game, to be sure.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2006, 02:12:01 AM »

I have this and fired it up about 2 weeks ago. I couldn't get into it at all and will have to revisit at a later date.
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2006, 03:39:46 AM »

Coudn't get into it either, what's so special about it anyway?

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2006, 04:57:01 PM »

EVERYTHING!

What kind of crack have you been smoking?
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2006, 03:08:45 PM »

Quote from: "corruptrelic"

I dunno ... lots of blood and enemies with big tits?

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2006, 03:32:52 PM »

Quote from: "Dafones"
Quote from: "corruptrelic"

I dunno ... lots of blood and enemies with big tits?

Add to that the ability to rip enemies apart with your bare hands and you have the three reasons why the game rules all for the first 2/3rds of it.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: