http://gamingtrend.com
July 22, 2014, 01:56:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lack of Ammo in Halo2  (Read 2852 times)
ATB
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« on: November 18, 2004, 02:07:12 AM »

Anyone else experiencing difficulty in keeping ammunition for human based weapons?

There are plenty of crappy covenant weapons laying around, but i prefer the human variants.

I find it less than fun constantly running around looking for ammo so that I can use my battle rifle or SMG.  And...there's hardly a pistol to be found.

Also, where's the love for dual wielding smgs when there' no ammo?!

Does it get better? (Minor spoiler: I'm in the ruins...)

I understand lack of ammo as a stimulus for tension, but when the battles raging, i hate running dry and having to pick up a lame plasma shooter.

Tips?
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2004, 02:14:59 AM »

I'm a good bit farther, and no, it doesn't get better. Same complaint here. I'm almost always out of ammo for the human weapons, which like you, I also prefer.

in the game, I've thrown about 20 frag grenades, and and about 2000 plasma grenades.

one thing you can do is look for weapons drop pods. I was missing those till a friend pointed them out to me while playing co-op. They're only brief help, but it's something.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2004, 02:50:49 PM »

that's a shame...it's knocking my enjoyment level down quite a bit...
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2004, 02:56:04 PM »

Frankly, in areas where there are no humans (flood, dead or alive), there *shouldn't* be any weapons. As to plasma rifles, the carbine and the needler are unstoppable. Frag grenades don't stick to people; that's no fun in my book.

I prefer the covenant sniper rifle (keep your rate of fire down, and you can empty the whole thing without having to snap outta the zoomed in view). I agree with the pistol comment though; they are a rarity. It's too bad they weren't designed to share ammo types with the SMG.

Once you get the brute shot and the brute plasma guns, the human weapons aren't missed much.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2004, 03:21:39 PM »

So it's knocking your enjoyment that you don't constantly have full access to whichever weapon you find tickles your personal fancy best?  Cry me a river smile
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2004, 03:48:16 PM »

Quote from: "kathode"
So it's knocking your enjoyment that you don't constantly have full access to whichever weapon you find tickles your personal fancy best?  Cry me a river smile

That's not the complaint, exactly.  It's not that I don't have "full access", it's that I hardly have any access to human weapons. Once I empty what I start the current level with, generally all you can find is what your dead teammates drop, which ain't much. Whatever the reasoning behind it, it just doesn't seem 'right' to be using the enemies' weapons 80% of the time.  MC and his team should be better equipped, or at least get more drop shipments.

I realize the covenant weapons can be effective/useful/cool, etc. But to me, that's not the point.

And frag grenades are more effective on groups in tight quarters than plasma. Plasma is definitely useful for taking out one elite, or honor guard, but not as useful on groups.
RightBastard

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2004, 12:24:18 AM »

well, story wise, it makes sense.  You are an elite fighting unit operating deep wthin hostile territory so you really can't expect to have a ton of resources available to you.  Small consolation I know but still...  

I admit that I try to stick to human weaponry when it's available, like taking two SMG's over more plentiful Covenant weaponry but I can't really grumble about it as it makes sense to me from a storytelling perspective.  

Take a look at Snake from MGS1.  What was the code words he used?  On-site procurement?  

Human weapons are verstile and effective but you should really give the Covenant weapons a second look.  Dual Needlers and dual plasma rifles are insanely useful.  And the Carbine and beam rifle are useful as well.  Plasma pistols still suck though.  

I agree with the frag vs. plasma grenade argument though.  Sometimes, you need a little english in your grenade throws and plasma just doesn't do it.

I am amendable to criticism but only within the sphere of what I am trying to do.
Flannery O'Connor
AJ McClain
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2004, 02:02:30 AM »

Quote from: "RightBastard"
Plasma pistols still suck though.

In Halo 2, I would agree. Wielded alone, anyway. Bungie seems like they stripped the PP of some of its power from the first game. Tsk, it use to be my favorite weapon too.

Gamertag: Sin Mordai
vagabond
BANNED
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2004, 05:22:03 PM »

Quote from: "AJ McClain"
Quote from: "RightBastard"
Plasma pistols still suck though.

In Halo 2, I would agree. Wielded alone, anyway. Bungie seems like they stripped the PP of some of its power from the first game. Tsk, it use to be my favorite weapon too.

Yeah it seems limiting your ammo is their way of making the game more challenging. Even to the extent they went to great lengths to keep making you go up one way elevators and such so you can't backtrack and get weapons. Also they go away if you get too far ahead of them, or perhaps on a time limit, not sure.  However, I was more a fan of the covenant weapons. I am a sniper guy and I will always have a sniper rifle. Sweet part of halo was as long as you didn't die you could carry the sniper from level to level, not so Halo 2. However, the covenant beam is at least just as good as the sniper rifle. The covenant carbine is far superior to a battle rifle. Particularly against soft targets like the flood or brutes.  It can scope so you can use it at range much better. Carbine and beam I was happy, a shotgun if the flood was around, that gets one shot kills on those. Pretty good against those charging grunts close too. Plasmas are good against targets with shields or duel wielded if that is all you got. Which happened a few times.  Unlike the sniper rifle there are plenty of beams laying around.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2004, 07:16:10 PM »

I never had an ammo problem whatsoever, unless you include the human weapons-which, if you think about it, makes a lot of sense. Most of the time you are behind enemy lines with little access to ammo other than drop pods. Always oodles of Covenant weaponry lying around.
Chrisoc13
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2004, 08:26:25 PM »

You thought the carbine worked against the flood? How? I shot them 10 times with it and it wouldnt drop them.

The only time I wantd human weapons was against the flood. They are far more effective against them then covenant. Except for the sowrd  biggrin .
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2004, 08:44:27 PM »

I ran through 90% of the game dual-weilding a plasma rifle and an SMG. The only point where I specifically remember having to switch to two plasma rifles was towards the very end, but then I was using Brute plasma rifles, so they were more powerful anyway.

I still maintain that those two weapons together is the most effective overall dual-weilding combo there is. Close competition is the SMG and the Pistol. As long as you're good at timing shots with the pistol for their head while you're constantly unloading the SMG they go down extremely quick.

I haven't quite decided which is overall faster yet, but I do know that if I manage to grab a plasma rifle and an SMG together I usually end up in the running riot area of # of kills. Pretty good stuff.

Note that this is in multiplayer. The only part that applies to the singleplayer is that first paragraph.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Chrisoc13
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2004, 08:58:22 PM »

I agree with the pistol and smg combo. The smg wears them down while the pistol is just a big punch to the head. The final blows. I hear people on live always talking about having two smgs and how great it is, but I think that combo sucks. An SMG and a pistol gives you continuous fire and the pistol then gives you accuracy. And I love it when I hear someone on live say "how did you kill me so fast? I had two smgs!" Ha, grab a pistol next time  smile .
AJ McClain
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2004, 09:14:16 PM »

Hm. I'm a bit more fond of the Pistol/P. Rifle combo. Plasma based weapons are better at lowering shields, which opens the door for a headshot from the pistol. Of course, if I've the chance, I always try to duel wield two pistols. Holy moly those things rock.

So far, there's one combo I've never used or seen used. Two P. Pistols. I think I'll try that out next time I'm playing, just to be different.  Cool

vagabond
BANNED
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2004, 09:14:51 PM »

Quote from: "Chrisoc13"
You thought the carbine worked against the flood? How? I shot them 10 times with it and it wouldnt drop them.

The only time I wantd human weapons was against the flood. They are far more effective against them then covenant. Except for the sowrd  biggrin .

Didn't say the carbine was great against the flood just said it was better than the alternatives except for the shotgun. You could scope out with the carbine and get 6-8 shots into them before they get close and that usually kills them. Could empty a battle rifle or plasma into them and still not kill them. Was like throwing ping pong balls. However, even a sniper which is great against everything else is bad against the flood. I hated fighting them suckers. smile Normally I had a shotgun and would use the carbine till they got close then finish them with the shotgun. This is only for single player, the tactics for multiplayer would probably be much different. Much more likely to fight at close range thus eliminating snipers from the mix. And enhancing something like a pistol that I never even bothered to pick up playing solo.

AJ McClain
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2004, 09:20:45 PM »

What, no love for the Sentinel Beam? I found that to be the most effective weapon against all forms of the flood, much more so than even the human weapons. Story wise, that kinda makes sense, too.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2004, 03:30:50 AM »

My favorite weapon against the flood was the Sword.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2004, 05:04:52 PM »

Quote from: "Chrisoc13"

The best weapon for the flood is the plasma beam. You only need 3 ammo on that to kill most of them. Use it in short bursts. The advantage is that the body is then too damaged for them to be reanimated.

The sword is #2 IMHO, as it disables the body and kills right away; however you have to get close to them and they're rarely alone.

The third would be shotgun (although they really gimped the range on it). You have to be almost as close as the sword to use it as a hamburger-maker, which defeats the point of a shotgun being a short-range weapon. the devastation should still be there for at least 2 to 3 times the of the sword range. I think they did this for balancing; the shotgun was the weapon of choice for Halo1 VS Flood.

My 4th favorite would have to be the brute plasma rifles (akimbo) or the brute shot, as there is just SO much you can put into em with the plasma guns and they have ammo for days, and the brute shot is good for splash damage and taking out the little buggers.

As to the carbine, I can kill a brute in 2 shots (headshots) with the carbine. Damn straight it's an awesome weapon. The first shot takes off their helmet; the second shot drops em.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
vagabond
BANNED
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2004, 06:49:05 PM »

Quote from: "AJ McClain"
What, no love for the Sentinel Beam? I found that to be the most effective weapon against all forms of the flood, much more so than even the human weapons. Story wise, that kinda makes sense, too.

I never bothered to try to use beam as usually would be carrying a shotgun and carbine. The flood closes on you so fast and the beam shoots slow, probably not good when they jump up either, need something that shoots faster. One really good thing about the carbine is you can fire really fast and it doesn't overheat like the plasmas, even a beam will overheat after 2 quick shots. Also throws you out of scope when it happens. I guess you can kill anything using just about anything, it's just a matter of tactics. I would often use a plasma rifle or pistol to kill grunts or stuff I could kill easy to save ammo on the better weapons. Shotgun is much better if you can get your back up against the wall or even better in a hole where they can only come in one way.  Just wait and blow them away.

AxonDomini
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2004, 08:36:09 PM »

Quote from: "vagabond"

I never bothered to try to use beam as usually would be carrying a shotgun and carbine. The flood closes on you so fast and the beam shoots slow, probably not good when they jump up either, need something that shoots faster. One really good thing about the carbine is you can fire really fast and it doesn't overheat like the plasmas, even a beam will overheat after 2 quick shots.

You're talking about the beam rifle, not the sentinel beam. The sentinel beam is the laser that is dropped by sentinel robots when you kill them. It fires a constant beam of energy, and is indeed pretty good against the flood. The problem is it runs out of ammo REALLY fast. The upside is they're a dime a dozen in levels with sentinels.
Chrisoc13
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2004, 10:28:19 PM »

I forgot about the sentinal beam! I actually used this a ton against the flood. It does just rip right through them, which yes, does make sense. But there is just more satisfaction from killing with a sword or a shotgun.
Draco
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2004, 05:12:22 AM »

Has anyone actually tested if the brute plasma guns are more powerful than the regualr plasma guns carried by elites?

And I loved the sentinel beams against the flood to. It felt like the "Halo" version of the flamethrower, and the flood zombies died really fast with them.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2004, 03:49:21 PM »

Quote from: "Draco"
Has anyone actually tested if the brute plasma guns are more powerful than the regualr plasma guns carried by elites?

And I loved the sentinel beams against the flood to. It felt like the "Halo" version of the flamethrower, and the flood zombies died really fast with them.

I didn't notice them to be more powerful; the reason I love em is that you can almost go through a full level with two of em and not need to switch weapons... they have so much ammo. smile

Draco
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2004, 07:33:04 PM »

More ammo? I have not seen any with more than 100 rounds in each on full charge.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2004, 07:34:50 PM »

Quote from: "Draco"

I haven't tested it, but I almost know for a fact it is more powerful.  It seems to shred through enemys quicker.  It also seems to have a higher rate of fire...so you gotta control your bursts.  The red plasma gun was actually my most-used weapon biggrin

TheMissingLink on PSN
RightBastard

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2004, 08:54:41 PM »

I've gotta agree with the MissingLink.  I'm also going on the assumption that if the Brutes are carrying them, then there has to be a power difference from the normal plasmas that the elites carry.

I ran through the last bits of the game carrying nothing but dual brute plasmas with the occasional beam rifle for sniping.

I am amendable to criticism but only within the sphere of what I am trying to do.
Flannery O'Connor
AJ McClain
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2004, 02:05:46 AM »

Hm. From what I've seen myself and heard from others, The Brute Plasma Rifles just have a higher rate of fire. Course, when you're firing faster you're killing faster. But I prefer the regular Elite Plasma Rifiles, as they don't overheat as fast.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: