http://gamingtrend.com
April 20, 2014, 06:04:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: KOTOR 3 News?  (Read 2789 times)
Starshifter
Gaming Trend Senior Member

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« on: May 20, 2005, 01:48:45 PM »

Any news on Knights of the Old Republic 3???

Is it coming?  Is it Bioware or Obsidian?

Thanks Guys!  Keep up the good work.

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2005, 04:02:09 PM »

Mums the word on this thus far.  We'll drop by and I'll see if I can get more info.  

Oh...and btw...I'm writing this from the private theater showing Oblivion being PLAYED.  *rub rub*   :twisted:

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2005, 04:07:11 PM »

Saw a couple videos...looks good. The writeups are making me drool too.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2005, 05:34:17 PM »

Lucasarts recently did a survey about the KOTOR series, with a couple of questions asking what you'd like to see in KOTOR 3.  So it's definitely coming... but other than that I dunno.
namatoki
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2005, 06:24:57 PM »

I know people are going to hate me for this, but I think it would be cool to make KOTOR 3 similar to Jade Empire with the real time combat.  I think the different lightsabre forms could fit the different fight forms in Jade Empire.  Plus I like the button pressing attacks rather than auto attacking.  Anyone else feel the same way?
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2005, 06:39:47 PM »

What about an option to play Classic Style or Real Time....

That would be pretty cool, wouldn't it?  (you think that's doable?)

LD

LD

"A young woman led them across the galaxy, and it is she who will lead them again.  Her name is Karan S'jet."
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2005, 07:02:02 PM »

Probably won't be from Bioware.  There was a post from a Bioware designer as recently as April stating that they were not working on KOTOR 3.

EDIT- And I heard that Obsidian turned them down on a third game after the fiasco of KOTOR 2.
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2005, 12:53:48 PM »

Quote from: "Kevin Grey"
EDIT- And I heard that Obsidian turned them down on a third game after the fiasco of KOTOR 2.

What fiasco???  The game is fantastic.  What's the problem?  I haven't heard anything about a "fiasco", just the normal complaints from people who don't know how to enjoy a continuing story.

Kevin - can you give me a link?  Thanks!

XM Channel 76
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2005, 12:58:10 PM »

I am guessing they are referring to the fact that the ending was rushed and not finished.  There were storylines completely dropped at the end such as the manufacturing plant that HK-47 was made in.  Obsidian was forced to release before they were able to finish the game.  the first 75% of KOTOR II was great... the last 25% was horrendous.
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2005, 01:59:27 PM »

They were doing KOTOR3 internally at LucasArts targeting next-gen systems.  Then LucasArts cancelled the project and let the team go.  The status is up in the air now.  I'd bet LucasArts is shopping the project around for external development at this point.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2005, 04:37:09 PM »

Quote from: "Starshifter"

What fiasco???  The game is fantastic.  What's the problem?  I haven't heard anything about a "fiasco", just the normal complaints from people who don't know how to enjoy a continuing story.

As Arkon said, KOTOR 2 was released very prematurely.  I don't know if you've read some of the links floating around but there was a lot of dialogue and scripting that was planned for the endgame but was cut out when Lucasarts forced a Christmas ship date on them.  I know at least one group of modders is trying to restore this content back in the game.

I loved KOTOR 2 although it fell apart a bit at the end but when you read about what Obsidian had planned, Wow!  And if you'll recall, KOTOR 2 was originally scheduled for release in Spring 2005 and Lucasarts moved it *up* to the Holidays which is very rare in the industry.  

I don't have any specific links but if you search around there's lots of veiled comments from Obsidian that they were unhappy with their treatment from Lucasarts.  

Unfortunately their next project will be from Atari who also doesn't have good record with giving devs all the time they need either.
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2005, 04:53:38 PM »

Unfortunately their next project will be from Atari who also doesn't have good record with giving devs all the time they need either.

Not to mention the fact that they still owe some devs money....

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
Falator
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2005, 05:30:45 PM »

I guess you never finished it... The problem was the story wasn't continuing. it was GREAT... until the end where it all fell apart and basically became near plotless. The game was so great before the end part that if it had kept up, it would have been the goty without a doubt, but now, it is just a pretty good game.

Of course i would still buy kotor 3 in the hopes they actually finish it... I also had a huge amount of fun with kotor 2 (before the end part).
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2005, 06:02:21 PM »

Quote from: "Falator"
I guess you never finished it... The problem was the story wasn't continuing. it was GREAT... until the end where it all fell apart and basically became near plotless. The game was so great before the end part that if it had kept up, it would have been the goty without a doubt, but now, it is just a pretty good game.

Of course i would still buy kotor 3 in the hopes they actually finish it... I also had a huge amount of fun with kotor 2 (before the end part).

You are right.  I'm not done yet.  Just headed to Korriban after finishing Dxun/Onderon (sp?).  I believe this to be my last planet, but there is some mention of going back to Onderon.  I don't expect to be disappointed.  KOTOR 1 had a very, very short cut scene ending (for the Light Side).  It's funny because I read your post very slowly, word by word, ready to avert my eyes quickly in case there was spoiler in there.

I'm confused.  So there is a KOTOR 3 in development???  I really don't care if they ever change anything in these games.  Just give me more stories to enjoy and more planets to visit and more beautiful computer generated Jedi women (like Bastilla & Visus) to fall in love with! :wink:

XM Channel 76
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2005, 07:09:16 PM »

You are right. I'm not done yet. Just headed to Korriban after finishing Dxun/Onderon (sp?). I believe this to be my last planet, but there is some mention of going back to Onderon. I don't expect to be disappointed. KOTOR 1 had a very, very short cut scene ending (for the Light Side). It's funny because I read your post very slowly, word by word, ready to avert my eyes quickly in case there was spoiler in there.

Don't worry no spoilers here- what we're referring to isn't the actual end cutscene.  Its pretty much the entire ending sequence (think back to the secret planet and Starforge from KOTOR 1).  There are large sections of game actually removed here and the plot becomes rather non-sensical and makes some amazing leaps in logic because you don't have the connecting tissue.  

As for KOTOR 3- Its inevitable.  Despite its faults and poor community reaction, KOTOR 2 sold very well so no way Lucasarts abandons the franchise.  The big problem is finding a developer to do it- quality RPG houses are few these days and most already have too much on their plate.

I've been hoping that they would get Bioware back but unless Lucasarts is willing to wait it doesn't sound like that's going to happen.  Bioware is among the few RPG developers that have the clout to get publishers to give them the time they need, something Obsidian and Troika lacked.
Rob_Merritt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2005, 07:45:53 PM »

I imagine that the founders of Troika are off forming a new company. Who knows what they could be getting into.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2005, 08:44:59 PM »

Quote from: "Rob_Merritt"
I imagine that the founders of Troika are off forming a new company. Who knows what they could be getting into.
]

Hmm work one company into bankruptcy and closure and go form another! You go guys!
Falator
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2005, 08:50:29 PM »

You are right.  I'm not done yet.  Just headed to Korriban after finishing Dxun/Onderon (sp?).  I believe this to be my last planet, but there is some mention of going back to Onderon.  I don't expect to be disappointed.  KOTOR 1 had a very, very short cut scene ending (for the Light Side).  It's funny because I read your post very slowly, word by word, ready to avert my eyes quickly in case there was spoiler in there.

I'm confused.  So there is a KOTOR 3 in development???  I really don't care if they ever change anything in these games.  Just give me more stories to enjoy and more planets to visit and more beautiful computer generated Jedi women (like Bastilla & Visus) to fall in love with! :wink:

I would think it would be kind of hard to comment on something you haven't experienced yet, but i would be very interested in your opinions on the ending after you have finished the game.

oh and I liked the ending in kotor 1 and I saw both of them. Bah this thread is making me want to install the game again. I never finished it as light side and even though i hear the ending doesn't change based on alignment, i would like to experience the game up to there.

Also, dark side jedi masters are gods able to destroy whole armies in seconds :twisted:
Rob_Merritt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2005, 11:04:16 PM »

Quote from: "Rage"
Quote from: "Rob_Merritt"
]

Hmm work one company into bankruptcy and closure and go form another! You go guys!

Well I know a few details but I'll refrain because everytime I post something about Trokia, someone post it on No Mutants Allowed and gets a former Troika person to deny it.

Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2005, 12:38:29 PM »

I would think it would be kind of hard to comment on something you haven't experienced yet, but i would be very interested in your opinions on the ending after you have finished the game.

You're right.  My comment (not expecting to be disappointed) was based on my experience with KOTOR 1 and my enjoyment with the sequel.  I really don't care if I'm left hanging at the end.  I equate this game to the middle of a trilogy, similar to Empire Strikes Back.  To me, playing this game (and the first one) is like reading a fantastic trilogy of books.  That's why I'm hoping for the third one.  Plus, I'm really enjoying the ride.  Even if the game ended right now on Korriban (where I'm at) without closing any loose ends, I would still say what a fantastic game.  Any game that makes me constantly think about it during the day at work is tops in my book. biggrin

XM Channel 76
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2005, 02:56:23 PM »

Again I felt that way through 75% of the game... but instead of just ending, in my opinion the game takes a step backwards as it ends.
Falator
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2005, 03:03:18 PM »

Quote from: "Arkon"
Again I felt that way through 75% of the game... but instead of just ending, in my opinion the game takes a step backwards as it ends.

Agree 100%

oh and i just reinstalled kotor2 and am going to play through as lightside for the first time :?
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2005, 03:58:20 PM »

Man, this better be some major screw up you are referring to.  Anything less and I'm going to be disappointed. :wink:   I'm half expecting a black screen with the words "You Win, Thankyou for playing Knights 2" in the middle of the screen and then I'm dropped to DOS.

XM Channel 76
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2005, 06:38:27 PM »

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Falator
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2005, 08:07:18 PM »

Man, this better be some major screw up you are referring to.  Anything less and I'm going to be disappointed. :wink:   I'm half expecting a black screen with the words "You Win, Thankyou for playing Knights 2" in the middle of the screen and then I'm dropped to DOS.

Lets say you are playing half life 2 and towards the end of the game, the game is replaced by black & white...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: