http://gamingtrend.com
October 20, 2014, 05:21:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: KoTOR 2 : The Sith Lords Impressions  (Read 13116 times)
vagabond
BANNED
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 10, 2004, 09:07:56 PM »

Quote from: "farley2k"
Quote from: "vagabond"
At 42 hours in.  
  ???

The game was released on the 6th but not even in most stores until the 7th.

Assuming you got it at 10 AM on the 7th that means there has only been 72 hours since then.  

You really have played over half the hours total since Tuesday?  Do you have a job?  Do you sleep?

I am not disputing your numbers but I just find it amazing (and odd) that someone would spend that much time simply playing a video game.

Well, first of all if you find that odd, you are hanging out in the wrong place.  :lol:  I expect that people playing games as much as they are able would be the norm and not the exception around here. Just so happens currently and temporarily because I am unemployed I am able to play more than most. That and I don't have a girlfriend, that saves lots of time.  :lol: I sleep 7-8 hours but I pretty much play the rest of the time, time out for eating and mebbe bathing. Might explain why I don't have a girl currently.  :lol: Also why I need lots of games to keep me busy.

vagabond
BANNED
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 10, 2004, 09:08:45 PM »

Quote from: "Purge"
Quote from: "farley2k"
At 42 hours in.  
  ???

I am not disputing your numbers but I just find it amazing (and odd) that someone would spend that much time simply playing a video game.

I've got 112 hours logged... I'm playing it on four consoles simultaneously with two tvs with twinview....

god bless my opposable toes. biggrin

GOD! that was freaking hilarious!

vagabond
BANNED
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 10, 2004, 09:18:56 PM »

Quote from: "Turtle"
Actually the key difference to any sword there is today is the lack of any blade edge.

So if you touch yourself anywhere you'll get cut, not just when you're swinging.

Authentic Samurai swords can cut through silk, they are sharper than razor blades. You barely touch it you will get a serious cut. Which in the days before hydrogen peroxide could be fatal.  Least a lightsaber would cauterize the wound, making them actually less dangerous.  :lol:

ChrisGwinn
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 10, 2004, 09:31:46 PM »

Quote from: "Turtle"
Actually the key difference to any sword there is today is the lack of any blade edge.

So if you touch yourself anywhere you'll get cut, not just when you're swinging.

Authentic Samurai swords can cut through silk, they are sharper than razor blades. You barely touch it you will get a serious cut. Which in the days before hydrogen peroxide could be fatal.  Least a lightsaber would cauterize the wound, making them actually less dangerous.  :lol:

Only the sharp parts.  The flat bit?  It's OK to touch it there.  I think his point was that there aren't any flat bits on a lightsaber.
vagabond
BANNED
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 10, 2004, 09:38:54 PM »

Quote from: "ChrisGwinn"
Only the sharp parts.  The flat bit?  It's OK to touch it there.  I think his point was that there aren't any flat bits on a lightsaber.

It's irrelevant either way. You are not going to be swinging a sword so that you will get hit by the flat side. You are swinging it forward so the blade wizzes by your ears and then comes back past your legs, always the sharp side coming at you. You would have to swing it backwards and because of the taper, it's not balanced that way, it wouldn't swing properly. European swords without the taper were usually edged on both sides.

-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED
Gaming Trend Senior Member

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: December 10, 2004, 10:34:58 PM »

Quote from: "ChrisGwinn"
Why haven't they made eyetoy lightsaber fighting games yet?
Three words:  Star.  Wars.  Kid.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
vagabond
BANNED
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 11, 2004, 07:35:48 AM »

I finished the game, a touch over 50 hours. I didn't spend any time playing pazzak or swoop racing. I was very careful to go everywhere and talk to everyone. The game was good, slightly better than the last one. It's not great though. I would give about an 8 with it losing a full point just because of all the slowdowns and loadtimes. Losing most of the rest because of the maze at the end. WHY OH WHY do these designers keep the game going past it's climax all the time? Nothing I hate worse than fighting for experience you don't need, getting items you aren't going to use in order to just finish the game. They added a good two hours on to the end unnecessarily and doing stuff that wasn't any fun. Like a maze for example! But, it was fun, definately worth playing despite the flaws.

JayG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 15, 2004, 12:05:12 AM »

I've been playing it awhile now, and it's a real love/hate relationship. I think that KOTOR2 for me has had a lot of bad luck, as the other games I brought were Half Life 2, Vampire and EQ2. It's definately the worst of the four. The buggiest console game I ever played. It's nowhere on the level of Planescape, but then to be honest neither was KOTOR. I played the original on PC, so that could explain a lot of the problems I had, but on XBox I find a lot of the combat tedious. Me second planet was Nar Shadda, and it started out great. Then it became a fight non-descript bounty hunters/fight non-descript droids/ find pass code for computer (And if u went into a room in the wrong sequence, u would face an impossible battle), all until my Jedi Friend showed up, then it was a doddle. My memory might be failing me, but I don't remember the first game having so many tedious battles. But maybe I was too busy looking up Bastila's skirt. She was cute. Now I got me 3 hotties, but they all bore me. I'd almost rather chat up Carth (and I'm a bloke). In fact the hottest chick on me lovepad is about 100 years old, and no matter what me says, she has no interest in a former Jedi stud muffin. One chick wears the outfit the hottie from the films wore, yet she refuses to speak to me. I suspect that she's sneaking off with that HK47 and trying out the new functions that weirdo from the war who keeps following me from the war installed. Luckily I have a new whiner to replace that idiot from the last game, whose like Han Solo without the charm/humor/guts/wookie/10 year history of awful films/Indy 4 etc.

And what's with the lovefest whenever I return to me ship. Not a word on me travels, minute I want to relax and look into me squidgies eyes, everyone wants to tell me everything. I merely said that I wanted to give a girl a chance, and the other girl hasn't spoken to me since. Yet she wears a slavegirl outfit for me. Cool, wish that would happen more often. I thought I would have a chance with the blind chick, as me bear belly would be well hidden, so who knows. Hoping I get lucky soon, Fearlessjay.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 15, 2004, 12:08:25 AM »

I would just like to ask one question-how are the load times? Are they better or worse than in KOTOR? I found the XBox load times horrific but I dealt with them the first time through on XBox. I waited for the PC version for my second run through, however.

Just want a ballpark guess.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 15, 2004, 12:20:58 AM »

Quote from: "Rage"
I would just like to ask one question-how are the load times? Are they better or worse than in KOTOR? I found the XBox load times horrific but I dealt with them the first time through on XBox. I waited for the PC version for my second run through, however.

Just want a ballpark guess.

Rage, they are no shorter than the original game and might even be a little worse in a few cases (at least as far as I've played- ~10 hours).  If the load times bugged you in the original by all means wait for the PC release.  The framerate can be pretty horrific too (worse than the first).
JayG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: December 15, 2004, 09:01:37 AM »

To be honest I kinda wished I waited for the PC version too. There is a lot of loading, and the controls are pretty confusing for me at times. I keep pressing the wrong button during Prazac, and losing as a result. And the turn based combat isn't as natural as it feels on the PC. Plus the numerous bugs (some of which lead to crashes) might be fixed eventually on the PC. One of the biggest problems I have with KOTOR2 is the inability  at times to adequately prepare. Because of it's linear nature I'm often in control of a Character who won't have the right gun equipped. And I wouldn't mind a change to go and buy some granades once in a while. Still haven't found anyone who sells medpaks. But I'm fairly early into the game at this point, so this can change.

The greatest improvement no-ones mentioned is the removal of the awful space game everytime you hoped from world to world. Fun the first time, it got tedious awfully quick.
croman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 15, 2004, 06:29:25 PM »

Quote from: "malichai11"
Finally got a prestige class right after I made level 15. Think it was like level 6 in the last game?  Got it and the saber at the same time so big boost in power.

Really? I'm level 16, almost 17, and have had a lightsaber for quite sometime, but no prestige class options. Where did that happen for you? I've been to Dantoine and Korriban and am now on the crime world.

I finally got my lightsaber last night.. I was level 13 when it happened
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 15, 2004, 06:45:57 PM »

This converation is starting to sound like covert talk for puberty.

I didn't get mine a "level" 17!

Oh?  I got mine at 13.  And it is huge....

:lol:

Yossarian
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 15, 2004, 08:42:10 PM »

I dig the prestige classes.  My weaponmaster is kicking ass.  He puts out about 150 points of dmg per round--strength of 31, master flurry, the form that increases the critical range, and some super upgraded lightsabers.

Now playing Star Trek Tactical Assault, Poker
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: December 23, 2004, 06:39:36 AM »

Quote from: "JayG"
The greatest improvement no-ones mentioned is the removal of the awful space game everytime you hoped from world to world. Fun the first time, it got tedious awfully quick.

I've run into it once already. When going to Onderon, you have the option to flee or fight (and flee). <shrug>

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 23, 2004, 05:33:25 PM »

After finishing The Sith Lords last night, I feel somewhat conflicted about the overall experience.  A few spoiler-free thoughts:

1) The range of viable characters seems much broader this time around thanks the new Lightsaber Finesse feat.  Allowing your character to apply their dexterity modifier to melee combat (instead of strength) really opens up the ability to play as an unarmored character -- wearing nothing but Jedi robes, most enemies in the game were literally incapable of striking my main character at all.

2) On that note, the overall difficulty of this game seemed much easier than the first Knights of the Old Republic.  It isn't that the first game was particularly challenging, but this second game was a breeze from beginning to end -- I'd be hard pressed to think of a time when my main character's health dropped below three-quarters, much less had one of my party members die.

3) The Sith Lords is often more interesting in the way that any specific section of it unfolds.  I love the fact that it will take different players different amounts of time to receive their lightsabers, achieve their prestige classes, and reach certain milestones with their party members.  A friend of mine is playing through the game now, and his experience has already been markedly different from my own.  For this reason, I think The Sith Lords dominates its predecessor in terms of replayability; I can see a lot of incentive to go back and try things out as a completely different sort of character.

4) By contrast, the overall arc of The Sith Lords is nowhere near as tightly written or satisfying as Knights of the Old Republic.  I often found myself wondering if the game had accidentally glitched and skipped over an important conversation or piece of information when all my party members would suddenly *assume* something about my character or our place in the overall plot.

In the end, I'd probably score The Sith Lords somewhat lower than Knights of the Old Republic due to its excessive ease and comparatively unsatisfying character development, but still give it a strong recommendation for people who enjoyed the first entry in the series.

Bring on Jade Empire!  smile

-Autistic Angel
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 27, 2004, 08:16:40 PM »

I've put in about ten hours so far and I have to say I'm enjoying the sequel more than the original. While each game has its own strengths and weaknesses, The Sith Lords simply feels more like Star Wars to me.I always thought the first one felt like Bioware's standard D&D formula with a thick coat of Star Wars paint slapped on. This game has a little bit more of an edge to it and seems to stick to the spirit of the first movies more.

I think a lot of this is because the game plays more like an adventure game than an RPG. There's an increased emphasis on story and dialog with a few very light puzzles (I hesitate to even call them puzzles as they are very basic). The designers have done a great job setting the mood and tone of the game, and the character designs, especially of the villains, are excellent. Voice acting is as excellent as it was in the first game.

Combat feels perfunctory, as if its just something to provide a little variety. There's been no challenge to speak of, even while playing on hard. I've never used any of the healing items/spells. Did the first game have all characters automatically recover health? I don't believe so, but it's been a while. Maybe combat will have a little more depth once I get farther into the game, but so far it just feels like Obsidian just didn't care as much about combat as they did about some of the game's other elements.

The tradeoff of greater story and character development at the expense of combat has paid off for me up to this point. I am a little worried about the rest of the game, as many of the reviews say the story starts to lose focus toward the end, so it may be something that hurts the game eventually. But, up to this point, I have very few complaints. The loading times haven't bothered me at all and the frame rate drops, although occasionally irritating, hasn't really affected the game for me.
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 28, 2004, 07:58:51 AM »

Is it just me and my old thompson dvd drive - or does this game freeze and / or crash out an aweful lot - especially durin trips to the menu?  There are times when I dread hittin start for any reason because it feels like I have about 7 outta 10 chance of havin to turn off my xbox and start her up again to get a shot.  and it seems to do it at the same points - this game is tough!  due to above problem, ive had to replay some sections about 3 or 4 times frown  annoyin!!! and kills the immersion
croman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 28, 2004, 07:17:27 PM »

Quote from: "Doopri1"
Is it just me and my old thompson dvd drive - or does this game freeze and / or crash out an aweful lot - especially durin trips to the menu?  There are times when I dread hittin start for any reason because it feels like I have about 7 outta 10 chance of havin to turn off my xbox and start her up again to get a shot.  and it seems to do it at the same points - this game is tough!  due to above problem, ive had to replay some sections about 3 or 4 times frown  annoyin!!! and kills the immersion

Unfortunately I think it may be your drive.  I am about 25 hours into the game right now and I have not had any sort of lockups on it.  It does have extremely slow load times though.
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 28, 2004, 11:12:18 PM »

In the time it took me to complete the game, I suffered from only one crash that forced me to restart my X-Box.

-Autistic Angel
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: December 28, 2004, 11:35:32 PM »

I have a launch box with a Thompson and I'm ten hours in with no crashes or lock ups. Your drive may have finally succumbed to the  'Thompson curse'.  I'm dreading the day it happens to me.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 01, 2005, 11:08:26 PM »

Well, just finished the game.  Took me 32 hours.  All in all a decent game, but man some of the bugs drove me nuts.  I ended up missing out on 9 movies when I went in after finishing the game, so obviously I missed some things.  I was however incredibly dissapointed in the end, it just seemed to be really lacking to me.
jimmyorr99

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 03, 2005, 04:10:31 PM »

This sounds like an awesome game, I loved the first one. However, I will be waiting for the PC release of this. I had some serious problems with the first one on the Xbox.

if you strike me down, i will become more powerful than you can ever imagine.
Jafisob
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 03, 2005, 06:03:29 PM »

Quote from: "Sepiche"
Quote from: "-Lord Ebonstone-"
About ten hours in, the game is almost exactly like the first in pure gameplay.
Ugh.

I won't be buying this, then.  Ever.

You know.  Console Gold feels more and more like Gone Gold everyday. smile

Picked it up over lunch.  If anything can pull me away from WoW it might be this.

s

Nothing can pull me away from WoW.  :wink:

Of course the fact that I don't own an Xbox might be a deciding factor.  

When is the PC version due?   smile
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 03, 2005, 06:19:24 PM »

February 8th.

-Autistic Angel
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: