http://gamingtrend.com
September 18, 2014, 01:58:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: KOTOR 2 - anyone seen it yet?  (Read 2905 times)
Laner
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« on: February 08, 2005, 10:39:03 PM »

Just curious - Best Buy says they'll have it in Thursday, but I thought it was due today...
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2005, 11:39:59 PM »

It shipped today and is due in stores on the 10th.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Ragnarok

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2005, 01:56:12 AM »

What Daehawk said.  My preorder was for the 10th.
Kev199
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2005, 02:10:52 AM »

Gamestop.com shipped it to me today.

Overnighted it, currently in Indy shipping down to N.O. by 3 pm tomorrow.
unbreakable
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2005, 04:01:46 PM »

Must focus... must not stop playing WoW...
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2005, 05:32:21 AM »

i haven't actually seen it in-store yet, but there was a labeled spot on the shelf at a Target in Indy yesterday (2/9), so they must be expecting their copies soon.  i'll be checking the stores when i'm out again tomorrow Cool

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
scandec
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2005, 08:08:52 PM »

Found this at the local EB yesterday at lunch. Played for about 3 hours last night after work and it seems to be very well done.
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2005, 09:01:37 PM »

just picked up my copy from BestBuy for $39.99...they probably had at least 15 more copies on the shelf.  my local WalMart also had a shelf loaded with them, but were charging the regular $50.

now i have a dilemma though...finish VTM:Bloodlines, or shelve it for a bit to play KotoR2.  i am still pretty early in Vampire...just recently got to Downtown...:?

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Scoop20906

You can't ignore me!!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2005, 02:32:19 AM »

39.99 is a pretty good deal for a new release. I wish EBgames would price match because I got a few gift cards from christmas to use.

The Gone Gold Effect has a strong influence on the weak minded ...
GamerTag: Scoop20906
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2005, 03:01:35 AM »

I still would never pay more than $39.99 for a PC game. Anyone remember the good old days (which wasn't so long ago) where ALL new PC releases came out at $39.99? Then games like C&C generals came out setting new standards of $49.99.
Then Valve pushing the limit at 54.99 for Half-Life 2 and not even giving us a manual or cd cases.

Even still if you wait a week or two the new release is bound to hit $39.99 or so. I got HL2 for $40 at Circuit City.

Btw I know my post was a little off topic but I had a hard time resisting on how "39.99 is a good deal" for a new PC game.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2005, 03:56:26 AM »

got mine from BB, 39.99 installing now.
Scoop20906

You can't ignore me!!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2005, 04:31:32 AM »

All your points are great, corruptrelic. But when I want a new release, I want it NOW!!!  :lol:

I really don't buy new games anymore. So, when there is something I really want, I usually indulge myself.

Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2005, 05:51:12 AM »

Quote from: "corruptrelic"
I still would never pay more than $39.99 for a PC game. Anyone remember the good old days (which wasn't so long ago) where ALL new PC releases came out at $39.99? Then games like C&C generals came out setting new standards of $49.99.
Then Valve pushing the limit at 54.99 for Half-Life 2 and not even giving us a manual or cd cases..

Selective memory, my friend.  AAA games retailed for much MORE than $50 a dozen years ago...  PC game prices fluctuated around the $50 mark for as long as there have been PC games.  I paid $60 for Ultima V back in 1988, and that's not taking inflation into account.

A great article on the subject, with some old ads that show that $50-60 games (and sometimes $80!!!) are hardly a new development:

http://avault.com/articles/getarticle.asp?name=stickershock
Andy22
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2005, 12:51:16 AM »

Wow...been out a whole day and not one post of impressions for a major PC release.

I miss Gone Gold  frown
zinckiwi
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2005, 01:43:46 AM »

We're still on the first page slywink
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2005, 02:59:51 AM »

Quote from: "Andy22"
Wow...been out a whole day and not one post of impressions for a major PC release.

I miss Gone Gold  frown

Well, it's not really a *new* release... most people here who are interested in it already have the Xbox version.
Scoop20906

You can't ignore me!!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2005, 04:06:53 PM »

Ok, its been a few days, can anyone answer what the difference is beween the Xbox and PC version??

I got the Xbox version and played it about a quarter of the way through but now thats the PC version is out I am thinking about getting that. Have they cleaned up some of the bugs in the Xbox version?

Anyone, Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

Doomboy
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2005, 06:05:10 PM »

Well, the biggest difference between the X-Box and PC versions is that if they do fix any bugs, they actually can do it for the PC version.  

As far as I know, patching console games is still impossible.

I haven't noticed any major bugs, but then I keep starting the damn game over.  I just can't get my character right...   The only bug I have noticed is in  one of the holocron sequences.  There is some kind of emergency broadcast by the system computer, but the woman who was recording a message before the emergency started, starts lip-synching the computer message.  Silly, but not a major bug.

Oh, and when the protocol droid firtst starts talking to me, I hear noises like he is walking around, but he is obviously standing still talking to me.

Otherwise, I have seen no crashes to desktop.  Or video problems.  I have heard complaints from people who have ATI cards.  I have no way of verifying if their complaints are legit or just the result of not keeping up with driver releases and whatnont.  Looks great on my GeForce 5900 XT.

Oh, and also, one other big difference between the versions, the keyboard is not as comfortable to play with as a controller.  But I guess if you have a controller for the PC, it wouldn't be too hard to configure it for the game.

Of I go again to try making my character right again.  I think this time I will see if I can get by with a lower constitution.  I think that is the one attribute I couldn't care less about...

When there's no more room in hell, Jack Thompson will walk the earth.
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2005, 07:47:45 PM »

Quote from: "Doomboy"
Well, the biggest difference between the X-Box and PC versions is that if they do fix any bugs, they actually can do it for the PC version.  

As far as I know, patching console games is still impossible.

A handful of Xbox games have been patched via Live... though I think KOTOR2 isn't Live-aware.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2005, 09:03:40 PM »

My current impressions, cross-posted:

Ive just travelled to my first planet after Telos, and I have playeda bout 11 hours-so this game is by no means very short from what I have seen. Also, although I still *think* I like KOTOR1 more, I am really floored by the story and presentation of KOTOR2 so far, especially the intricacies of the plot-they have given me so much information, yet kept almost every single answer from me. Its maddening and frustrating yet genius-I cannot wait to find out what the next development in the story is going to be.

My biggest complaint right now-slowdown and for some reason the combat feels...worse. It seems less responsive than KOTOR1, the force powers seem to be slower to cast and seem shorter in duration, and for the love of god, why do my guys always run to the next enemy no matter how far away he is-oh yeah, why is critical strike first in the list of attacks when I have maxed out the flurry skill? Its a little thing, but its still annoying to have to cycle every time I am in combat.

Anways, I just encountered some serious slowdowns on Dantooine, so I am reloading to see if that fixes it-if not I guess its driver change time.,
Doomboy
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2005, 01:13:35 AM »

I have found bugs in the Swoop racing on Telos.  Nothing completely serious, but no matter how well I do, the swoop guy tells me my time was okay.  I still haven't beaten the best time yet, so I don't know if I will be rewarded or not.  Other people have claimed they get no reward for winning.

Oh, also after he told me I had done okay, but hadn't beaten any track records, the next time I talked to him, he called me the track champion and waived my racing fee...  Hmmm.  I guess I will just have to avoid swoop racing until they patch it.  Good thing there is more to the game than that.

EDIT:  Okay, I just completed the race in 1st place, and I got my reward, so I guess the race isn't that buggy, at least for me.

When there's no more room in hell, Jack Thompson will walk the earth.
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2005, 08:55:54 PM »

I’m currently about 16 hours into kotor2, and after an agonizingly slow start (peragus mining colony), the game has ramped up close to the original in terms of fun, interest, and addictive pull.  I really had to force myself to push forward during the first several hours with kotor2, taking breaks and coming back to it later.  Kotor started slow too, but for some reason I found its first world more interesting than kotor2’s running around a mining colony watching holo-vids and fighting droids for several hours.  

I’m enjoying the cast of characters and their interaction with the main character more in kotor2 than kotor.  In the first game, with the exception of Bastilla, I didn’t really care about any of the character plot lines, and found them to be tedious at times (dreading when a character would pause and a dialogue exchange was about to start).  Playing the 2nd time through kotor as a dark side consular, I enjoyed telling most of the characters to shut the hell up and stop whining.  I haven’t felt that way with any of the characters in kotor2…yet.  

I don’t understand Obsidian’s rational in having the player wait 14-16 hours before their character can wield a lightsaber.  In kotor I didn’t like it, but I understood that my character would rise up in a normal profession and then ultimately tap into their ability and memories as a jedi/sith.  I don’t understand why in kotor2 they waited so long to get a lightsaber in the hands of your character (who already is a jedi of substantial experience by that point).  I think my character was a lvl14 jedi guardian before he got his hands on a LS!  Just seems like an odd gameplay choice

After 16 hours into the game I do enjoy kotor2.  I’m not sure at this point where the plot is headed (I have a guess), but the story has been intriguing and interesting.  A lot of kotor2 is more of the same, but that’s not a bad thing imo.

I think it’s very cool that your character can identify jedi potential in his companions, and potentially take on the responsibility of a jedi master (even if they’re not officially a “jedi master” in title).  The romances are silly but fun too.  Without giving away any spoilers, there is one particular romance that involves “echani combat etiquette” that cracks me up every time it happens.  Kotor2 doesn’t have the same pull on me that Kotor did, the latter I completed in 2 all night marathon sessions.  But I still feel that draw to get back to the game, which is a good sign.  If you can get through the first 5 hours of kotor2, the game ramps up quickly.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: