http://gamingtrend.com
October 22, 2014, 01:00:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Klonoa games  (Read 1128 times)
Teggy
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« on: April 12, 2007, 09:12:14 PM »

I had posted a while back looking for lesser known platformers for the current gen consoles.  Someone recommended Klonoa 2, so I picked up a copy.  I finally got around to playing it, and I have to say I am really enjoying this game.

I was a bit skeptical when I put the game in because I thought it was a 3d platformer and it turned out it was more of a 2d+ platformer.  The graphics are 3d, but you are generally moving left or right along a path.  Sometimes you are on a circular rail, and in addition to being able to shoot left and right, you can shoot into or out of the screen.  There are also some surfing sequences where you have a little more freedom of movement.

What I like about platformers is, well, platforming.  So what I don't like about 2d platformers is that when you are limited to moving left and right, you need to spend a lot of time avoiding enemies instead of concentrating on puzzles.  3d platformers allow you to move in any direction, so it is easier to avoid enemies, or at least take them on on your own terms.  What's cool about Klonoa 2 (IMHO) is that the creatures in the game are not so preoccupied with killing you.  They are dangerous, but more often they are there to be used in conjunction with a puzzle.  For example, some enemies will shoot you high up in the air if you capture them and then perform a double jump.

Has anyone played any of the other Klonoa games and are they worth tracking down considering what I like about Klonoa 2?  I know there is a PSX game and 2 GBA games.  I would love to see what the developers would do with a full 3d game, but it doesn't seem like one is on the horizon.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2007, 02:48:53 PM »

I'm pretty sure Klonoa is one of the more rare games for the playstation. It may be #2 that is the rare one. Regardless, good luck looking. I've never had a chance to play the games, but I've always wanted to.

PSN ID: EduardoX
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2007, 03:17:26 PM »

I can't help you too much because Klonoa 2 is the only game I played in the series, but I believe I heard good things about the GBA games. Glad to see you liked the game, Teggy.
HankRaptor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2007, 03:35:05 PM »

I have Klonoa 2 for the PS2 and didnt LOVE It. It didnt really "click" with me... People do rave about it though.

Wii Number 6291 3315 9378 1013
360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
Crispin sees what you are doing and he is NONE TOO PLEASED.
JSL

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2007, 04:07:09 PM »

I really enjoyed Klonoa 2 on the PS2. I played it start to end and overall it was a lot of fun. There was one level though that seriously gave me a headache from the music. I think it was one of the surfing levels. I wouldn't mind a remake on the Wii.
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2008, 08:51:21 PM »

Klonoa 1 is being remade for the Wii and will be released in Japan in December. Hopefully it'll get released over here too.
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2008, 08:53:57 PM »

JSL

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2008, 10:31:16 PM »

Looks great, hope it makes it to the US. Klonoa 2 was wonderful and hopefully they port that over as well. I would buy it again. In fact, maybe if we are lucky they will put 1 & 2 on a disc for over here.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2008, 10:58:09 PM »

Yeah looks fantastic but I have little hope that we'll see it here.  I really do need to play my copy of Klonoa 2 someday....
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2008, 11:15:13 PM »

Oh, this better come here.  Come on, we like platformers.

EDIT:  And then, 4 seconds later, I see this:

http://kotaku.com/5071318/klonoa-may-get-poochied-for-american-wii-release
« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 11:17:36 PM by Bullwinkle » Logged

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2008, 11:32:34 PM »

surprised they didn't strap machine guns to his hands.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2008, 11:33:21 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on October 30, 2008, 10:58:09 PM

I really do need to play my copy of Klonoa 2 someday....

same smile - i'd heard great things about it, saw it used about a year ago, & bought it. &, aside from about an hour's worth, i've yet to play it...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: