http://gamingtrend.com
September 02, 2014, 08:47:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kirby Canvas Impressions  (Read 4403 times)
shon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: June 14, 2005, 07:02:55 PM »

I just bought the game and played the tutorial and the first level.  Neat.

It is different than any other game so far no buttons or pad just the stylus.

The graphics are clear and crisp and the gameplay fresh.   Hopefully this will last longer than a day.

I should have other comments later.

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2005, 07:28:06 PM »

Sounds good - It's been reviewed really well too. Keep us posted.

Might have to dust off my DS!

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2005, 07:35:33 PM »

I plan on picking this up on the way home.  Did it come with a pink stylus like the Japanese version did?

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
weleavefossils
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2005, 07:52:06 PM »

I have read so many good things about this game, and im so tempted to run out and get it..but I'm trying to remember that there are so many games im looking forward to in the next few months and I need to cut back..

It dangerous having so many expensive hobbies.

Wii 5882-3358-1683-0643
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2005, 07:56:21 PM »

I am also very tempted by this game.  I think I might wait until Meteos comes out though.  There are also a couple xbox games coming out soon that interest me, so this game is kind of stuck in the middle somewhere.  I wish it had some kind of multiplayer since the one player game seems to be short.  Anyway, may still pick it up, who knows.

Torfish
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2005, 08:05:47 PM »

Hope to pick this up soon.  The game is getting pretty darn good reviews and has high replay value.  

I love the concept, only playing with a stylus.
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2005, 08:08:55 PM »

Quote from: "GatorFavre"
I am also very tempted by this game.  I think I might wait until Meteos comes out though.  There are also a couple xbox games coming out soon that interest me, so this game is kind of stuck in the middle somewhere.  I wish it had some kind of multiplayer since the one player game seems to be short.  Anyway, may still pick it up, who knows.

From what I have read, the single player is short in that you can bea tthe end boss rather quickly, but like all Kirby games, there is a lot to go back and do afterwards.

weleavefossils
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2005, 08:12:31 PM »

yeah I know what you mean about multiplayer..I only know 1 other person with a DS and I rarely see them....I wish someone at work would get one cause that would be a good time killer.

Wii 5882-3358-1683-0643
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2005, 08:47:20 PM »

Quote from: "DiscoJason"

From what I have read, the single player is short in that you can bea tthe end boss rather quickly, but like all Kirby games, there is a lot to go back and do afterwards.

Good point, I have enjoyed playing other Kirby games in the past just due to its wacky gameplay.  Since this game seems to be the wackiest yet, I may just get it after all.  Damn you tempters!

EDIT:  Ok, I am officially in.  I'm going to go pick it up right now!  I'll hopefully have some impressions after I get off work sometime tonight!

depward

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2005, 10:08:35 PM »

This game really interests me.  Plus, it's a reason why I want to buy a DS quite soon (also for Nintendogs, Meteos, Animal Crossing, and how I don't have any sort of "Gameboy" system to play some intriguing games on . . . and more).  So I can't wait to hear some impressions!

Gatorfavre - give some impressions tonight - I'm counting on it

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2005, 05:02:10 AM »

Depward interested in a DS??  "The Gimmick Machine,"  if I recall correctly :lol: Anyway, so far I have played through the tutorial and the first couple levels of the first world.  The reviews are right on, this is like no other game you have ever played.  Except maybe Yoshi's Touch and Go which I havent played.  The graphics are what you would expect from a Kirby game, and I would say they are a step up from the SNES Kirby game.  Sound is also very Kirby and Nintendo like.  The gameplay is what sells it though.  You may say it looks like it could get boring and repetitive, but it doesnt.  The technology is very fun to play around with and I get a certain feeling of gratification when I see Kirby following the path I draw for him.  It is pretty neat.  So far I would recommend this game.  I cant wait to unlock some of the minigames!

depward

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2005, 06:24:16 AM »

Depward interested in a DS??  "The Gimmick Machine,"  if I recall correctly :lol: Anyway, so far I have played through the tutorial and the first couple levels of the first world.  The reviews are right on, this is like no other game you have ever played.  Except maybe Yoshi's Touch and Go which I havent played.  The graphics are what you would expect from a Kirby game, and I would say they are a step up from the SNES Kirby game.  Sound is also very Kirby and Nintendo like.  The gameplay is what sells it though.  You may say it looks like it could get boring and repetitive, but it doesnt.  The technology is very fun to play around with and I get a certain feeling of gratification when I see Kirby following the path I draw for him.  It is pretty neat.  So far I would recommend this game.  I cant wait to unlock some of the minigames!

Yes, "The Gimmick Machine" was the nickname I gave it.  But after seeing the possibilities (Animal Crossing, Nintendogs, Kirby, etc.) and how unique games LIKE Kirby can be, I thought I'd just side-step that nickname   biggrin   Plus if they're able to grasp the uniqueness and "unique selling point" of the DS, like apparently they have done with Kirby, relatively early in the development of DS games, then hopefully it can spur a lot of successful games.

ANYWAYS, I think I'll pick up Kirby tomorrow and play it on TML's DS before I make the plunge and purchase a system.  If I don't like Kirby you owe me a dinner!   :lol:

WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2005, 06:51:33 AM »

I think you'll like it.  It is definitely unique!

stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2005, 07:44:38 AM »

I plan on picking this up on the way home.  Did it come with a pink stylus like the Japanese version did?

From what I read on the IGN DS mailbag (link) it does not come with the pink stylus.  I was curious as well, imagining the new blue DS with pink stylus combo...

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2005, 08:12:13 AM »

How did this game make it to market without a subtitle with DS initials?  Did they miss the memo from Nintendo? slywink

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
weleavefossils
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2005, 01:35:16 PM »

I wish they would make a unique stylus for all games..or atleast selected more developed ones.

Wii 5882-3358-1683-0643
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2005, 04:51:26 PM »

My impressions based on playing just the first little level last night.  I enjoyed it immensely.  I got all three medals for the first level and pretty much explored that one level completely after finding the balloon ability up in the upper left corner of one of the screens.  It took me a few minutes to get a hang of the controls and I still feel like a little bit of a spaz when trying to do things quickly, but I am definitely getting the hang of it.

I read about two other modes to play the game in that sound like a lot of fun.  One mode has you try to complete the level as fast as you can.  The other mode has you try to complete it using as little ink as possible.  I haven't tried either mode, but they sound like fun.  With all the unlockables there are in the game, including 4 additional characters (one which you can unlock by beating the game with Kirby and the Amazing Mirror inserted into the GBA slot of the DS), plus the mini-games, I think this is going to be very enjoyable and kepe me busy trying to 100% it for some time to come.

weleavefossils
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2005, 06:30:18 PM »

I just picked it up now..i'm excited to jump into this game. looks like i'm going to have to put work on the side for the rest of the day.

[EDIT] I think i've converted two new people to getting a DS because of  this game..now I just want them to give me my DS back now frown [/EDIT]

Wii 5882-3358-1683-0643
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2005, 04:07:01 AM »

How's the longevity of this one?  I too recently defied Sony and swapped my PSP for a DS, and if Kirby's got legs to go along with the nice gameplay, I might pick it up.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2005, 05:27:14 AM »

Quote from: "-Lord Ebonstone-"
and if Kirby's got legs to go along with the nice gameplay, I might pick it up.

Unfortunately Kirby does not have legs!  That is what the curse is: He has lost the use of his legs and is now just a pink ball.

heh. :twisted:

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2005, 05:53:34 AM »

Fun little game.  Played for awhile and discovered I had only beat like, 3.2% of the game.  That makes me smile with delight biggrin

TheMissingLink on PSN
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2005, 06:01:33 AM »

Its about time the DS gets some love around here!

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2005, 12:35:15 PM »

IN!

It's fun!

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
depward

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2005, 03:26:02 PM »

Played through the tutorial and the first world and I'm having a lot of fun with it!  I like how the rainbows act as little escalators, not just little bridges or whatnot, so Kirby more or less sticks to the ink rainbows rightside or upside down.  Fun stuff!

I picked the third boss battle and it was REALLY fun.  Can't wait to play the others.

The little mini-game after beating stages is pissing me off!  I got one relatively good "launch" of around the 1000 mark, but now I mess up on the take-off!  But it's all good fun!

So yep, lots of fun, enjoying it!

adamsappel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2005, 03:28:04 PM »

Wow, this was not a title I was even considering. Sounds fun!

Xbox Live Gamertag: adamsappel
PaulBot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2005, 04:04:55 PM »

Sounds like I may have to get this one. IGN & Gamespot really liked it too.

Oh yeah, guess I'll pick up a DS too so I can play it  :lol:

CEO of the GT Post Padders Club
PaulBot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2005, 04:26:21 PM »

How many save slots does Canvas Curse have?

The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2005, 05:30:03 PM »

Quote from: "PaulBot"

If you mean Save slots, it has 3.

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2005, 06:14:00 PM »

How many if he meant save slots?
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2005, 08:09:33 PM »

Quote from: "wonderpug"

How many if he meant save slots?

Crazy.  Somehow I missed the word "save" in his post.  That is sad considering how short the post was.

Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2005, 08:11:18 PM »

He he, I was wondering what his point was. Does a Save slot differ from the modest lower case save slot?

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
PaulBot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2005, 08:58:28 PM »

So there are save slots and Save slots?

So if there's three of each, does that mean I can save six times and not overwrite anything?  :lol:

Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2005, 09:39:17 PM »

No, three Times and three times. Big difference.

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
PaulBot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2005, 04:05:12 AM »

I picked up Kirby Canvas Curse (and a DS) and am thoroughly enjoying it! This is the type of game I want to see more of on the DS - not just ports of games from other Nintendo hardware!

Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 04, 2006, 02:59:57 PM »

So what where everyone's final impressions. I wanna pick the game up sometime next week, wanna grab a game that really makes use of the touchscreen, and Canvas always seemed like a good pick. So how did the whole game go?

I'm also wondering if the game is hard to pick up. EB Games doesn't list it new online. Neither does Game Stop, or Future Shop (Canadian). And it's surprisingly pricey on Ebay. Is the game a tricky title to grab, I wonder?

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 04, 2006, 03:19:08 PM »

I'm also wondering if the game is hard to pick up. EB Games doesn't list it new online. Neither does Game Stop, or Future Shop (Canadian). And it's surprisingly pricey on Ebay. Is the game a tricky title to grab, I wonder?

I've seen it used at a lot of EB's and Gamestops.  Its also around at places like Circuit City, Toys R US, etc.  You shouldn't have a problem finding it.

My son LOVES it.  I like it to a point.  Its a great use of the DS Lite and particularly the stylus.  Its fun to play as well.  But for me, I'm not really into platformers, so it gets old after a bit.  Still, its a blast to pick up and play for short bursts, and its very quick to get into a game. (20 seconds from cartridge insert to playing I'd guess)

---
XBox Live: ScottW
warning

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 04, 2006, 05:18:12 PM »

I loved it.  It was my first DS title I played and finished.  I still go back from time to time and collect something else or fiddle around with it.  It's just a great game all around.
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 05, 2006, 01:07:58 AM »

I never thought to check the likes of Walmart or TRU. Good call.

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
depward

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 05, 2006, 01:43:49 AM »

It's a fun title, for sure.

weleavefossils
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: July 05, 2006, 12:36:56 PM »

like everyone else said..its fun.  I thought it was short, but i also played it non stop at times.

Wii 5882-3358-1683-0643
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: