http://gamingtrend.com
September 01, 2014, 06:59:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: King´s Bounty: The Legend => Demo available!!  (Read 9860 times)
Destructor
Special Project Group
Gaming Trend Senior Member

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: September 26, 2008, 03:00:21 PM »

The 'Verified by Visa' is a recent thing (in the last year or so) that Visa is doing in an attempt to make online purchases more 'secure', as it requires you to have that 3 digit code on the back of your card to make the final purchase (or at least I think that's how it works). I know that Newegg has done it for quite some time.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 29, 2008, 01:17:01 AM »

I want to, but I can't seem to get as into the demo as other people. What's the secret? Is it that I'm a measly level 3?

PSN ID: EduardoX
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 29, 2008, 01:18:08 AM »

I received a review copy of this one and have been playing the heck out of it. I should have a full review up by the end of the week (I want to play all the way through it). But I will say that my initial impressions are really good. It keeps all the good things about HoMM and throws out all of the bad things. I will keep you guys posted when the review is done.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
olaf

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 29, 2008, 02:53:20 PM »

This is a great game.  Well worth the $40.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 29, 2008, 07:20:52 PM »

According to Cheapass Gamer, Circuit City will have King's Bounty on sale for $29.99 starting 10/5.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 30, 2008, 12:31:30 PM »

Great demo!  I went and bought it through GamersGate and hopefully I'll get some extra time to delve into it later today.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
ROTC1983

Is it really that Kampfy?

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 30, 2008, 11:38:31 PM »

Bought it today smile

DonD

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 30, 2008, 11:40:10 PM »

Quote from: ROTC1983 on September 30, 2008, 11:38:31 PM

Bought it today smile
Me too.  Installing now.

XBox Live: DonDesio
PSN: DonD_GT
ROTC1983

Is it really that Kampfy?

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 30, 2008, 11:45:36 PM »

Quote from: DonD on September 30, 2008, 11:40:10 PM

Quote from: ROTC1983 on September 30, 2008, 11:38:31 PM

Bought it today smile
Me too.  Installing now.
At work, I won't be able to install and play it till tomorrow afternoon.  I need AARs Tongue

DonD

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 01, 2008, 02:52:35 AM »

Spent a couple of hours with it.  Graphics are very very nice.  Very clean and colorful.  The map is now 3D (you can rotate around).  Gameplay somewhat like HOMM but without heroes on the other side.   Essentially, you run around completing missions on the overland map.  The mechanics are very similar to HOMM but tweaked for a different set of rules.

Don't know how I could possibly do an AAR.  After 3 hours, I'm still only level 3 and with basically the same set of troops I started with, though perhaps with about 50% more guys now.

Yeah, I could see how this is a 40hr game.

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 01, 2008, 03:38:54 AM »

Quote from: DonD on October 01, 2008, 02:52:35 AM

Spent a couple of hours with it.  Graphics are very very nice.  Very clean and colorful.  The map is now 3D (you can rotate around).  Gameplay somewhat like HOMM but without heroes on the other side.   Essentially, you run around completing missions on the overland map.  The mechanics are very similar to HOMM but tweaked for a different set of rules.

Don't know how I could possibly do an AAR.  After 3 hours, I'm still only level 3 and with basically the same set of troops I started with, though perhaps with about 50% more guys now.

Yeah, I could see how this is a 40hr game.

I have encountered enemy heroes actually.  In the Marshes I have seen multiple heroes.  You will know they are heroes as they will have a beam of light shining down on them and when you right click on them it will show you the heroe's name and stats.
DonD

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 01, 2008, 10:55:12 AM »

Something to look forward to then.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 01, 2008, 02:53:19 PM »

A couple stupid n00b questions:

1.  Do troops ever "refresh" at the castle?  I've been grabbing as many as possible whenever I get more leadership and keep seeing the available number go down, but I haven't ever seen it jump back up.  Is there a set number of troops available, and once they're gone, that's it?  Or do more troops eventually come available?

2.  I think I need a crash course on the Leadership skill.  I see that I have a total Leadership number, and that each unit takes X amount of Leadership points to recruit.   That being the case, how come I can only recruit a low number of each troop type?  Seems as though it would make the most sense for me to recruit one huge stack of the strongest unit, but the game limits you to smaller stacks of multiple units.  I just can't find any number that corresponds to being able to recruit X amount of unit Y and X amount of unit Z.  Not sure if that makes sense or not...

3.  Can the warrior class character learn any spells?  I've found a bunch of scrolls, but they simply disappear whenever I use them.  I would think I'd be able to actually learn these spells for future use (at a much lower effectiveness than the mage, I'm sure), but maybe that's a class restriction.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
IceBear
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 01, 2008, 03:49:48 PM »

I think the troop numbers are based on quests.  I noticed after I did a couple of quests for the king the swordsmen and archers became Hordes (ie, never run out) and there were some new classes.  Otherwise they don't refresh as far as I can tell.

Leadership reflects how much of each unit type you can have, not how much you can have in total.

I haven't played a warrior (paladin here) but I assume they can learn spells, just they won't get as many magic runes as other classes and thus be worse at it (need to play some other classes to compare)
Pharaoh

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 01, 2008, 03:54:08 PM »

1) Troops refresh each time you get "promoted" by the King by completeing quests. YOu start out as a Viscount I believe, and for example, hes got a supply of some bowmen, and soldiers. When you finish the first act, basically the first islands 4 zones and kill the act 1 boss, you'll get promoted to Viscount, which will make the Bowmen and Soldiers Horde (meaning infinite), and Guardsman will be unlocked and sold. All the recruiting locations around the maps will be reset too.

2) Your Leadership is your ability to recruit the 5 army windows for your character. Each window = your leadership. So if Bowmen cost 40 leadership, and your leadership is 3000, you can hold 75 Archers. You can hover over the windows to see a quick tooltip saying "Bowmen 56/75", which tells you the max number of every unit you can carry for handy reference.

3) You can learn some, but its hard for your class. When you have a good supply of magic crystals, to the right of the spell is a little brick looking button, thats the "learn spell" ability. For the cost of a certain amount of crystals, high for a warrior, but still learnable, its inscribed in your book and you can user it forever. You can buy upgrade abilities in the mage tree which allow you to increase their level and abilities smile
« Last Edit: October 01, 2008, 04:05:44 PM by Pharaoh » Logged
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 01, 2008, 04:03:43 PM »

That helps a ton, thanks!

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Pharaoh

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 01, 2008, 04:05:22 PM »

Other tips Ive picked up, hope it helps:

1) As soon as possible try to upgrade the mind tree to get the Reserves ability. It allows you to carry a 6th and 7th stack that you can fill with whatever and carry in your wagon train and switch out easily. Its amazingly helpful so you can just pick up and recruit anything you come across without worrying about space or morale hits.

2) Dont think of each zone as a level, but rather part of a whole. Each zone has distinct areas for different levels, and the game tries to tell you this by having some mob pack thats laughably strong to others in the areas, kinda telling you "dont come back here until you can kick my ass". Right clicking on a mob and seeing "match" is a good sign you are ready or almost ready for that area of a map. I spent the beginning of my game trying to clear the entire first zone even though I didnt have the troops for it. When I started just exploring and going around doing what quests I could and killing what mobs didnt give me much trouble, I found my leadership, levels, and army were leveling up with me enough that I could go back and take on those harder quests without worrying this time.

3) Try to do the first 3 King Main quests before anything else. This will unlock your Chest of Rage which is a major mechanic in the game and will help things out a crapload. Talk to each summon inside the box as you level up to recruit them to your side. "Evil Shoal" = Your friend.

4) double clicking on mobs lets you inspect their stats and abilities. abilties are hugely important in the game, since its all stat based. for example, ghosts found in the graveyard section of the swamps are absolute machines. flying, -50% melee damage, lifetapping, and can rez themselves. You'll take a morale hit to your other guys if you have them (unless you went down the Mind tree for Tolerance), but man, you get a big stack of those as a warrior, and they can single handedly just own other heroes.

5) right click on items and read their info. Alot of items are part of set, and they'll tell you in the tooltip, like having the entire Knights Regalia set gives you +10 armor to order troops, etc.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2008, 04:07:31 PM by Pharaoh » Logged
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 06, 2008, 04:26:07 PM »

Bumping this up for this amazingly fun game.

Another trick with reserves and infinite troops. You can hold an infinite number of troops in reserve. (ie: buy a stack, transfer to reserve and repeat until you have as many as you want. There is no leadership limit in reserve). You can then use that reserve stack to refill your troops as you lose them while traveling.

The downside is the cost and loss of a reserve spot, but its a decent early game strategy to avoid constantly running back to the castle. I use this for my 'tanks' (Swordsman/Guardsman) who tend to die more since they are the only melee I use. Ranged = win.

I also agree with getting the Chest of Rage early on. The Sleen's AOE is a huge advantage.
JohnathanStrange

Noted Humanitarian

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 06, 2008, 05:18:37 PM »

Circuit City's  $30 sale and your impressions - and mine too (I've been playing the demo) - have persuaded me not to  wait for the inevitable price drop - and man, there are some awesome deals out there for good games that were selling for $50 six months ago!

You just don't give up do you? You seize life by the throat and shake it like a topless bartender mixing a martini! -- Mayor Adam West
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 06, 2008, 05:45:17 PM »

Quote from: JohnathanStrange on October 06, 2008, 05:18:37 PM

Circuit City's  $30 sale and your impressions - and mine too (I've been playing the demo) - have persuaded me not to  wait for the inevitable price drop - and man, there are some awesome deals out there for good games that were selling for $50 six months ago!

Same here. I found out today that the English version does not have Starforce. I tried the demo, loved it. All in.

Though the closest CC to me is 10 miles, I think i'll save the gas & tax and just download King's Bounty from Direct2Drive. I'd prefer to get it from Steam or Impulse, but oh well.
ioticus
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 07, 2008, 04:13:32 AM »

Hmmm, bought this for $26 shipped on eBay.  Was I lucky or did I just get screwed?
Warfran
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 07, 2008, 11:58:54 AM »

Quote from: ioticus on October 07, 2008, 04:13:32 AM

Hmmm, bought this for $26 shipped on eBay.  Was I lucky or did I just get screwed?

Good deal from my viewpoint, I had to pay $38 shipped to get it here in Canada(but well worth every penny though).
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 13, 2008, 12:39:42 AM »

I've turned into a mostly casual gamer on my PC (ie lots of little games like the stuff at Big Fish Games).  Since moving to consoles, I rarely have time to sit at the PC.

I bought this game on a whim.

I've sat for hours straight already, and I'm just getting started.  I love this.  Best PC game I've played in forever.

I just wish I could play it without the DVD in the drive (should've bought it through Steam, I know).

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 13, 2008, 04:10:57 AM »

It IS a great game that will take me forever to finish just one run through.

morlac00 on PSN
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 15, 2008, 02:43:25 PM »

Honestly, I'm shocked this hasn't been getting more attention on here.

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 15, 2008, 02:55:38 PM »

I loved the game, still do but really burned out when I hit the demon lands.
StriderGG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 15, 2008, 04:33:09 PM »

Awesome game, one of the best games I played in the last couple of years.

No idea how it sold in the US, it's got great reviews (all in 80+ range), it's cheap, but for some reason there is not much buzz about it. I guess general public would rather play something action-ey.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 15, 2008, 05:07:22 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on December 15, 2008, 02:43:25 PM

Honestly, I'm shocked this hasn't been getting more attention on here.

You know those threads titled "Great Games You Own But Never Play" ?

Both Kings Bounty and Sacred 2 would be near the top of my personal list.

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
JCAnejo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 16, 2008, 08:49:22 PM »

This is the main game I have been playing for weeks. Imagine with the time I get to game a day it will be weeks to finish. It would be right up there for my game of the year.  thumbsup thumbsup
Pharaoh

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 17, 2008, 03:32:08 PM »

Dont forget the expansion is early next year! woohoo!
Ascendent

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 28, 2008, 12:50:12 AM »

Just grabbed it this afternoon, looking forward to this, really excited about sounds awesome.
Lord Percy
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 28, 2008, 09:53:18 AM »

I picked this up a couple of days ago, and I don't really get it. It plays like a watered down copy of HOMM. All the armies are exactly the same, with the exception that each side has less units. Farmers, swordsmen, archers, gryphons and bolt slinging priests? I wonder where they got that idea. Pixies with a "no relatiation" skill? Sounds suspiciously like a HOMM unit. Pick between two perks when you level up? It's pretty blatant where they got all their inspiration. Even the objects you encounter in the game world are similar.

Now I would probably be ok with it if I hadn't played the HOMM games to death, but so far the games feel so similar that I get a very strong "been there, done that" feeling. Only last time the game was better. Unit deaths are meaningless, because you can just buy more troops from a near infinite pool with the money you earn from defeating a stack (at least it's near infinite when you're playing a mage, because you can't carry many troops). Some units are annoyingly unbalanced, too. For example, I was fighting a werewolf stack, and they frightened all my tiny little mage stacks with a single skill use before I could do anything. This meant that all my units were out of my control, which didn't allow me to cast any spells at all while the battle played itself out automatically until I was dead. I didn't get to do ANYTHING during the entire battle. That's just bad game design if you ask me.

So I dunno, maybe I need to spend more time with it, but I'm already getting bored with it because I get the impression it's a second-rate HOMM ripoff.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 28, 2008, 11:08:36 AM »

Quote from: Lord Percy on December 28, 2008, 09:53:18 AM

I picked this up a couple of days ago, and I don't really get it. It plays like a watered down copy of HOMM. All the armies are exactly the same, with the exception that each side has less units. Farmers, swordsmen, archers, gryphons and bolt slinging priests? I wonder where they got that idea. Pixies with a "no relatiation" skill? Sounds suspiciously like a HOMM unit. Pick between two perks when you level up? It's pretty blatant where they got all their inspiration. Even the objects you encounter in the game world are similar.

The game is based on the old King's Bounty game, which was also the basis for the HOMM series, so it's not surprising they're similar.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 28, 2008, 01:13:32 PM »

Now I would probably be ok with it if I hadn't played the HOMM games to death, but so far the games feel so similar that I get a very strong "been there, done that" feeling. Only last time the game was better. Unit deaths are meaningless, because you can just buy more troops from a near infinite pool with the money you earn from defeating a stack (at least it's near infinite when you're playing a mage, because you can't carry many troops). Some units are annoyingly unbalanced, too. For example, I was fighting a werewolf stack, and they frightened all my tiny little mage stacks with a single skill use before I could do anything. This meant that all my units were out of my control, which didn't allow me to cast any spells at all while the battle played itself out automatically until I was dead. I didn't get to do ANYTHING during the entire battle. That's just bad game design if you ask me.

As for this part, yeah, human units will be affected by the wolf's frighten cry. That's not bad game design, that's trying to insert some strategy into the play so you're forced to change your troops and adapt to different environments. Try adding up with some animals (or even undead), and it won't be a problem. I suggest the snakes and bears.

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 28, 2008, 03:25:29 PM »

Yep the bears will decimate werewolves.

morlac00 on PSN
Lord Percy
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: December 28, 2008, 03:27:33 PM »

Yeah, that's how I got past it, I added some wolves myself to at least get one spell in every round. It's still boring to watch the whole fight play out by itself, and it would have been better if the wolves could just frighten a single stack, or only had a chance to frighten each stack instead of an insta-frighten-the-crap-out-of-a-whole-army ability. Which can be chained together by separate stacks of identical wolves. It's still bad design IMO, but I'll give the game some more time.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 28, 2008, 04:49:49 PM »

Quote from: Lord Percy on December 28, 2008, 03:27:33 PM

Yeah, that's how I got past it, I added some wolves myself to at least get one spell in every round. It's still boring to watch the whole fight play out by itself, and it would have been better if the wolves could just frighten a single stack, or only had a chance to frighten each stack instead of an insta-frighten-the-crap-out-of-a-whole-army ability. Which can be chained together by separate stacks of identical wolves. It's still bad design IMO, but I'll give the game some more time.

There are a lot of units that can not be feared.  You will learn as you go that you will have to be adjusting your army quite a bit depending on what you are fighting.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 28, 2008, 10:28:53 PM »

Quote from: EddieA on December 28, 2008, 11:08:36 AM

The game is based on the old King's Bounty game, which was also the basis for the HOMM series, so it's not surprising they're similar.

I also think the story aspects of King's Bounty are better than anything in the HOMM.  I also loved that series.  I took it as a given that it would be very similar, given that it had the same name as the game that inspired HOMM.

Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 03, 2009, 05:57:42 PM »

I finally picked this up. Not a widely available game for some reason, which is a shame because it is a great gem of a game. Beautiful graphics, awesome music, and very addicting gameplay. It has that rare quality of being simple to learn but has a lot of hidden depth to it in the details of the storyline, the stats and all the loot you can get. It definitely is a worthy successor to the original King's Bounty, which was a great game in its day but was very simplistic even back then.

The game engine would make a pretty good way to resurrect the Heroes of Might and Magic series.

I guess there is an expansion coming out. I can't wait!
Pharaoh

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 05, 2009, 07:16:05 PM »

Early word is the expansion is offering a new 20 quest main line, the lizard man faction and units (6 total), 5 new neutral units, and expansion tiers on all the talent trees, plus 1 entire new class. 5 new "zones" are included as well, seperated into two landmasses.

This was almost my GOTY, cant wait for more!
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: