http://gamingtrend.com
July 25, 2014, 06:36:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: King´s Bounty: The Legend => Demo available!!  (Read 9820 times)
harrytex
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« on: September 18, 2008, 11:41:34 AM »

Get it here: http://www.1cpublishing.eu/game/king-s-bounty-the-legend/downloads

Imho it will be the Second Coming  eek. If you like fantasy and/or TBS: Go and try this one.
Canuck
Gaming Trend Senior Member

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2008, 12:29:37 PM »

I agree with what you say but considering that it's your first post I can't help but look upon you with suspicion.
harrytex
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2008, 12:41:14 PM »

Long-time-Lurker, First-time-Poster! Disclaimer: I´m NOT getting paid by Atari, 1C, Nobilis, Katauri or god knows who to promote the game.

I just followed the discussion at OO and Qt3 and saw that there´s no topic here. Sorry for arousing your suspicion  icon_wink!!
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2008, 12:44:42 PM »

well the link provided on OO keeps dying out on me so I guess I'll try your link.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2008, 12:47:57 PM »

I tried this demo last night and was incredibly impressed. 

It was much better than I was expecting.

I heard there could be some Starforce shenanigans with the demo though... just an FYI for those who may be wary of such things.

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2008, 12:54:01 PM »

Quote from: Lockdown on September 18, 2008, 12:47:57 PM

I heard there could be some Starforce shenanigans with the demo though... just an FYI for those who may be wary of such things.

Starforce still exists?

Starforce: A free virus with every game purchase!
JohnathanStrange

Noted Humanitarian

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2008, 02:14:11 PM »

King's Bounty - the demo anyway - is incredibly fun, well worth downloading. There's been an active thread(s) on OO about it for some time now.

Though I imagine now that we won't hear anything about the game or impressions of gameplay, now that Starforce (or any anti-piracy measure) has been hinted at.

You just don't give up do you? You seize life by the throat and shake it like a topless bartender mixing a martini! -- Mayor Adam West
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2008, 02:44:11 PM »

Quote from: Jeff Jones on September 18, 2008, 12:54:01 PM

Quote from: Lockdown on September 18, 2008, 12:47:57 PM

Starforce still exists?

Starforce: A free virus with every game purchase!

I don't think it's actually Starforce but it's from the company that created Starforce-not that that's much better of course!  I'm willing to risk it.  I'll let you know if it subverts my computer.
baelthazar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2008, 03:09:30 PM »

I agree, the demo is SO much better than I was expecting. Very much like the original KB, and gives that classic HoMM feel back to gaming (of course KB was the grand-daddy of them all, so much fun on the sega). I am missing some of the "map" elements (find the chalice before time runs out) and the "capture the bad-guy in a siege, but you need to have the warrant for his arrest" stuff. Maybe the demo did not include it, but it would be a shame, as those were major parts of the original. Also, I am really hoping for a boat, because the boat was awesome on the Sega!

Look like this went from "ignore" to "must buy!" Dang, and I was saving that money for Hinterland.

Bael
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2008, 03:27:00 PM »

I'm really looking forward to this one. I'm hoping that Atari sends GT a review copy early so I can get a review out for this one.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2008, 11:12:23 PM »

Nice, nice, very nice.  icon_biggrin

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Jocke
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2008, 08:07:45 AM »

I have played the demo and I am looking forward to the release but there was one thing that drove me nuts.

The fear thing that can be inflicted way to easily on your troops. What the hell was that all about. Oh joy my troops are all afraid and I have to sit and watch them stand still or shoot each other and NEVER get the chance to do anything... That was not fun.
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2008, 02:27:52 PM »

Fantastic demo for a game I didn't even know was in development.
Bcarle
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2008, 04:49:44 PM »

I really liked the demo. Did have to turn down the graphics on my laptop to speed it up alittle but overall it is fun.  One thing I didnt see was a way to speed up the combat. Each battle seemed to take a long time.
Haavok1
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2008, 08:33:00 PM »

Demo runs great and looks fantastic, but I have no sound or music.  Havent been able to figure out what the problem is.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2008, 12:41:07 AM »

Do you always have to play your units in the same order?  I couldn't seem to find a way to switch units.  Also, is there no way to heal yourself?  I couldn't see an option-at the beginning anyways.  I think this game maybe isn't for me.  But that's my fault, not the game's.
Semaj

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2008, 02:25:28 AM »

all mine does is crash, pretty much every 30 seconds... highly irritating

WoW:
Venerable
Skywarden
Eagerly awaiting Drakes Fortune 2...
baelthazar

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2008, 03:29:25 AM »

So, I pretty much finished the demo, killing nearly everything on the map as a mage. It was a great time! I can see that there are things not in the demo, I think that there will be sieges (as there are garrison spaces in the castle) and I found the boat! All in all, I am very pleased and will be getting this next week.

Oh, and I found something interesting that came as part of a "cursed ring" quest:

Spoiler for Hiden:
After you suppress the ring spirits and get the spell to cure the zombie curse, you can go back to help the robber king's fiance, Rina. He does not want to cure her, but you can offer to "buy" her from him. Once you do, she fills the "wife" position on the character sheet. After curing her, you can tell her it is "time to have children" and she will oblige! Of course, I didn't get to see the resulting child, but it seems that there will be a gameplay reason for it!

Do you always have to play your units in the same order?  I couldn't seem to find a way to switch units.  Also, is there no way to heal yourself?  I couldn't see an option-at the beginning anyways.  I think this game maybe isn't for me.  But that's my fault, not the game's.

I'm not sure what you mean here, Canuck. Your character doesn't have hit points, per se, only your units. They can be healed by certain spells or unit spells. Units go in the order of their initiative, and so will always go in the same order unless their initiative score changes. You can, however, manually have them "wait" and they will wait for the other units to go first - a tactic that will allow you to build a wall and see where the enemy units will go. In order to get other units, you have to dismiss some to get a free slot and then find recruitable units in various places, buildings and such. In the demo you can get a variety of such units, Snakes, wolves, bears, mages, zombies, and others.

Bael
« Last Edit: September 20, 2008, 03:34:22 AM by baelthazar » Logged
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2008, 04:28:58 AM »

Spent a couple hours with the demo tonight, and wow I'm impressed.   This one came completely out of left field, and is now near the top of my list.  I can't quite put my finger on it, but it has that special "something" that clicked with me, whereas HOMMV (which, let's face it, is extremely similar) just...didn't.  Runs smooth as silk on my aging desktop, and I absolutely love the graphics style.  Probably my only gripe is the lack of an auto-resolve option, but that's not a deal-breaker.

Thanks for the heads-up on this one!  smile

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Fez
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2008, 06:57:46 PM »

I haven't tried the demo, but is this more like an updated version of HOMM III insteand of either IV or V?  HOMM III is still one of my favorite strategy games of all time.  IV just didn't do it for me (the AI was especially weak and for some reason it was more noticeable than in III) and V, although decent, seemed slow on my machine and it was actually a bit hard to see things on the map.  Not quite as fluid an experience.  And, the RMG was a bit weak as well in the expansion for V.
baelthazar

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2008, 07:06:13 PM »

More like HoMIII than HoMMV, imho. You also need to know that there are no turns on the main map, you walk around where you want and nearby monsters will chase you a ways to begin battle (can be dangerous if you are not prepared).

There is no second player in the demo - this follows the traditional Kings Bounty formula, where you fought against static castles full of bad guys and had a certain time limit within which to do so. There are also RPG style quests that are a bit FedEx-like (deliver this, fight monsters, deliver back) but not too bad. The variety of recruitable troops is astounding, and I imagine that it will get more so in the full version. No idea if there are different "races" of towns (so far I have met a dwarf, but not a town of dwarves) but race has little bearing on what you can recruit. You actually start the game as one of three classes, all fighting for the same king.

Do try out the demo.

Bael
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2008, 11:44:52 PM »

Wow.....this came out of nowhere for me.  Hopefully there is a digital download purchase option for this one.  Release date is for this week right?

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
baelthazar

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2008, 12:40:58 AM »

Quote from: USMC Kato on September 22, 2008, 11:44:52 PM

Wow.....this came out of nowhere for me.  Hopefully there is a digital download purchase option for this one.  Release date is for this week right?

Release date is tomorrow! And there is a DD option at Gamersgate.com. Enjoy buddy!  icon_biggrin thumbsup Bet that came out of nowhere too!

Bael
harrytex
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2008, 10:10:00 AM »

It´s out!! DD options:

http://www.atari.com/us/games/kings_bounty_the_legend/dvd_rom
http://www.gamersgate.com/index.php?page=product&what=view&sku=DD-KB&cat=all

Who´s the first to spot it in a shop?  ninja
GGMark

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2008, 11:45:02 AM »

I dl'ed the demo last week, and It was OK, but it was running really funny on my system for some reason.  One minute it would be fine, the next it would slow down.  or the sound would get all messed up. 

I then saw that the company that makes starforce may have also put the copy protection on here, so I just got rid of it.

Sad, since I loved the Kings Bounty game long ago for the genesis, and it seemed to be a mix of that and Might and Magic.
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2008, 02:21:28 PM »

Download this last night from GamersGate but no time to play yet. Something new was that I was forced to sign up for 'Verified by Visa' in order to complete the purchase. I've purchased three other games from them in the past and this wasn't a requirement before. And to top it all off, all of the links back to the VbV site that explain the how and the why of it were broken.  mad

-craig

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2008, 04:02:53 PM »

Quote from: Scraper on September 18, 2008, 03:27:00 PM

I'm really looking forward to this one. I'm hoping that Atari sends GT a review copy early so I can get a review out for this one.

I'm sure I could request that.  Shoot me a reminder and I'll get it done.  I'll also rehost the demo for GT members since there is interest.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2008, 04:13:20 PM »

As promised - Demo is rehosted:
http://www.gamingtrend.com/video/KingsBounty_TheLegend_Demo.exe
(687mb)

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
JSL

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2008, 04:41:03 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on September 24, 2008, 04:13:20 PM

Awesome, thanks!
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2008, 04:49:01 PM »

Quote from: JSL on September 24, 2008, 04:41:03 PM

Awesome, thanks!

My pleasure.  You guys can always request that I fetch something to host.  Movie trailer, whatever.  I've got the speed and bandwidth.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Cota
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2008, 05:30:34 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on September 24, 2008, 04:49:01 PM

Quote from: JSL on September 24, 2008, 04:41:03 PM

Awesome, thanks!

My pleasure.  You guys can always request that I fetch something to host.  Movie trailer, whatever.  I've got the speed and bandwidth.

You are a champ!

-Cota
Pharaoh

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2008, 04:36:01 AM »

Ya holy crap, this game came outta left field.

If you want the spirit and gameplay of HOMM 3, the graphics of Etherlords 2, the smartass of Bards Tale and sorta the original Kings Bounty, this is for you.

Its fun, its beautiful, its deep, its just a great reminder of why we all love games in the first place. I did the Atari DD and had not a single problem, it installed fine and has been running without a hitch. Great, great game, always great finding these diamonds in the rough.

Thanks to HarryTex for bumping the thread, I hope you guys love it as much as I do! 8 hours in, much more to come!

P.S. I love the fact in the tutorial quests you can find stupid items as armor, like a cart wheel for a shield, and clay pot for a head....and use the info option on them to get a little paragraph about why you look like a total idiot, but hey, it blocks a hammer so who cares?! Great personality!
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2008, 05:18:24 AM »

The demo sold me.  Getting it via atari or gamersgate.  Cool game

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2008, 06:07:13 AM »

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on September 24, 2008, 02:21:28 PM

Download this last night from GamersGate but no time to play yet. Something new was that I was forced to sign up for 'Verified by Visa' in order to complete the purchase. I've purchased three other games from them in the past and this wasn't a requirement before. And to top it all off, all of the links back to the VbV site that explain the how and the why of it were broken.  mad

woah - be very sure it was legitimate, before you sign anything with your card then.. I've had a small trojan operate in my machine, whenever I used legitimate sites, it would make a pop-up window, that required re-typing all the codes on my code... I just clicked close on it, and the payment still worked...

A new one
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2008, 09:16:12 AM »

Quote from: Razgon on September 25, 2008, 06:07:13 AM

woah - be very sure it was legitimate, before you sign anything with your card then.. I've had a small trojan operate in my machine, whenever I used legitimate sites, it would make a pop-up window, that required re-typing all the codes on my code... I just clicked close on it, and the payment still worked...

I got that exact same option, but I just clicked "no thanks"    If you order from Newegg that offer the exact same credit protection from Visa.   It should be optional at least it was for me

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2008, 11:25:22 AM »

Any idea if this is going to show up on Impulse?  I prefer to do my digital download purchases via them.
Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2008, 12:18:58 PM »

Yeah, I'm kinda hoping for Impulse (..or Steam) too.

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2008, 12:57:52 PM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on September 25, 2008, 09:16:12 AM

I got that exact same option, but I just clicked "no thanks"    If you order from Newegg that offer the exact same credit protection from Visa.   It should be optional at least it was for me

It was legit, I'm now signed up - something I checked on the official site. I don't recall seeing anything that said 'No thanks' and the button I tried to use to skip that part told me that skipping this step would cancel my order. Wish I had taken some screenshots, maybe there was some simple way that I missed. [sigh]

-craig

morlac

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 26, 2008, 11:20:58 AM »

Quote from: Pharaoh on September 25, 2008, 04:36:01 AM

Ya holy crap, this game came outta left field.

If you want the spirit and gameplay of HOMM 3, the graphics of Etherlords 2, the smartass of Bards Tale and sorta the original Kings Bounty, this is for you.

Its fun, its beautiful, its deep, its just a great reminder of why we all love games in the first place. I did the Atari DD and had not a single problem, it installed fine and has been running without a hitch. Great, great game, always great finding these diamonds in the rough.

Thanks to HarryTex for bumping the thread, I hope you guys love it as much as I do! 8 hours in, much more to come!

P.S. I love the fact in the tutorial quests you can find stupid items as armor, like a cart wheel for a shield, and clay pot for a head....and use the info option on them to get a little paragraph about why you look like a total idiot, but hey, it blocks a hammer so who cares?! Great personality!

Not only that but when you go to meet the king he's a like....

"Oh your this new tough guy eh?  With a cart wheel as a shield? Seriously? "

icon_lol or something like that.  Personality in spades for sure. 

morlac00 on PSN
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 26, 2008, 01:08:41 PM »

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on September 25, 2008, 12:57:52 PM

Quote from: Soulchilde on September 25, 2008, 09:16:12 AM

It was legit, I'm now signed up - something I checked on the official site. I don't recall seeing anything that said 'No thanks' and the button I tried to use to skip that part told me that skipping this step would cancel my order. Wish I had taken some screenshots, maybe there was some simple way that I missed. [sigh]

After going round with GamersGate they contacted PayNova on the issue and this is what I got back:

Quote from: PayNova
Gamersgate has been in contact with us regarding your purchase. The service “Verified by Visa” is connected to your bank/card issuer and is not an optional service. It is an extra security code given to you by your bank for transactions made over internet. You should be able to get more information about the service and your code from your bank/card issuer.

So it seems to be tied to whomever issued the Visa card. And that probably explains why I can't find any information on their site how to get out of the program. Whatever.

-craig

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: