http://gamingtrend.com
July 30, 2014, 11:14:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning announced  (Read 19332 times)
MonkeyFinger
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: February 19, 2012, 03:23:53 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on February 18, 2012, 09:03:46 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on February 18, 2012, 08:58:56 PM

Quote from: Blackjack on February 18, 2012, 08:57:23 PM

For no good/practical reason, I picked this up in old fashioned box form today.  icon_cool

you should put the CD key into Origin so you can download it  icon_wink
I hope that works cause the disc installation won't. Once  I get through the "choose a language" screen, Origin pops up and nothing happens. disgust Doesn't seem to have any option to d/l it with the disc in.

Got some weird message on the first try about needing to "reload" something in Origin, but Origin has no Reload button I can find.

I managed to redeem the product code within Origin, dunno if it'll met me install now or d/l it. Talk about an assbackward way of doing things.

Thanks, CeeKay. Even if you were probably just being sarcastic, it is apparently going to let me d/l it now.  icon_biggrin

That worked, so it's all cool now even if it's the stupidest way I ever got a game.

From what I've read, there's no actual game on the disk. All it has is the Origin client and then after you activate your purchase you still need to download the dang thing.  disgust

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: February 20, 2012, 03:41:07 PM »

MonkeyFinger, lol if that's true. I paid taxes just so I could get my CD key on a slip of paper.   retard

Here's some screenshots. Some from the early demo levels, and then a few of the Shepherd armor you get if you've played (I think?) the Mass Effect 3 demo.

The big demo boss. I'm using... what the heck AM I using here?  confused

I think this is in Fate or whatever it's called mode, right?

The Shepherd Armor's fun though it's initially so much better than anything I can afford early on it really threatens to imbalance the game. Within a couple levels though the enemies were already tough enough to damage this heavily, esp. in groups. Just wish it came with a great sword, it just comes with daggers on the melee side. I just bought a solid great sword though.

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: February 20, 2012, 03:52:44 PM »

From what I've read, there's no actual game on the disk. All it has is the Origin client and then after you activate your purchase you still need to download the dang thing.
Actually, I can confirm that's not true -- the Reckoning disc I have does have installer files, including a 7.34GB Reckoning.Zip file that isn't corrupted and does appear to have all the files necessary for installation.

Maybe I should've just tried to extract that Zip file and tried doing an install from that. Though I suspect Origin would still muck that up.  icon_razz

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: February 20, 2012, 04:37:17 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on February 20, 2012, 03:52:44 PM

From what I've read, there's no actual game on the disk. All it has is the Origin client and then after you activate your purchase you still need to download the dang thing.
Actually, I can confirm that's not true -- the Reckoning disc I have does have installer files, including a 7.34GB Reckoning.Zip file that isn't corrupted and does appear to have all the files necessary for installation.

Maybe I should've just tried to extract that Zip file and tried doing an install from that. Though I suspect Origin would still muck that up.  icon_razz

Interesting... just going by some of the comments for the PC version on Amazon. Did sound a little odd but it wouldn't have surprised me if it was true.

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: February 20, 2012, 07:17:33 PM »

I wouldn't think they would legally be able to get away with selling a retail copy without the actual game.  Digital copy, of course, but not a boxed version.  If that were the case, as a consumer you would be paying for a retail boxed version, expecting the retail version, only to receive essentially a digital copy.  Sure, most games are headed in this direction anyway, but it's misleading (and probably not legal in some states), to sell a marketed retail box version that's nothing more than an install disc to load their digitial service.  It's all a little bit slimy. At least you could avoid consumers paying shipping fees/taxes in order to be able to install origins, which they could have done on their own.

Nevermind - looks like the game was actually on the disc? 

Aside from EAs slimy business practices, I'm really enjoying the game.  One of my favorite features?  I don't have to run multiple characters to experience the different class types.  I was tired of playing a rogue-archer, so I visited a fatewaever to return back to playing a sorcerer using chakrams and area nukes.  So far through level 29, I've played a hybrid sorcery-finesses character, 100% sorcery (for most of the early game), 100% might for a few levels, 100% finesse through the 20s, and now I'm back to being 100% sorcery.  I did all of this using the same character.  That's awesome.  I love that flexibility.   

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: February 20, 2012, 09:28:28 PM »

I assume from forum threads I've read about the boxed DVD not installing is there's some issue not yet worked out with how Origin interfaces with a DVD install. I have bought numerous games that required Steam but the integration with the disc install was ... well it just worked. What an idea. icon_smile

I don't even dislike Origin overall. The downloads/installs within Origin for this and the ME3 demo have been extremely speedy and without a hitch. It's a very clean interface. Playing streaming Demos without having to install them has been fun (tried Bullestorm and Dead Space 2 that way).

I do think the Store pages could use some more detail -- I can't even tell what ME3's release date is (March 6) on the Origin page, regardless of what level of detail I choose.

Back to the game. I'm on this early quest where this Water Fountain objective keeps moving all over the damn map. Is there some trick to that? I'm tempted to just abandon the quest cause it's pissing me off.  icon_razz

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
toger
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: February 20, 2012, 10:07:35 PM »

The wandering well repeats locations. Pick a place where it appears and wait for it to come back.

Powered by PMS ™
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: February 21, 2012, 01:25:05 PM »

Another question: If you commit a theft, do all the guards permanently target you on sight until you go to jail or pay the fine? I didn't know if maybe it "wears off" at some point. I had a quest that required stealing a potion out of a chest inside a Keep.

And I was wrong, my screenshot was of a "Long Sword," not a Great one, here's Great:

A fun Fatality, though it makes me wish it was available as a Mount for travel.  icon_cool

The Sheperd set's Chakrams (sort of fiery boomerangs) make a nice secondary weapon.

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Hotfreak

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: February 21, 2012, 06:08:59 PM »

So, the KoAR forums are full of people complaining that certain things (regen items, potions, blacksmithing) break the difficulty of the game at levels higher than about 20.  I just got my finesse/sorcery hybrid up to level 14 on hard and have been having a blast -- not too easy, not too hard, fun feel to battle.  But I'm concerned that if I work at it, I will end up making the content trivial. 

Any higher level want to weigh in on this with his own experience?

This one is on the house...and this one is better than ever...
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #209 on: February 21, 2012, 07:02:15 PM »

I think it depends how you try to play the game.  I came to the conclusion pretty early on that the developers never intended for you to play even half of the side quests in an area.  Instead you should pick up a couple and complete them on the way to the primary quest line.  Given how much better written and content intensive the main quests are I don’t think you would want to do anything else anyways. 

The same could be said for the crafting skills.  If you do every quest in an area and salvage every item you find you will probably break the game but you’re also forcing your character to level up faster than they would with just the normal progression of the game.  Also, don’t over explore.  Creatures in a new area are set roughly to your level when you enter it the first time.  I’m not a fan of this convention but it’s better to know about it in advance.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 07:04:52 PM by Lordnine » Logged
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: February 22, 2012, 04:39:23 AM »

Is there just no way to get every guard and NPC to stop attacking you once you've stolen something? I finally just got sick of it (I was having to "murder" a half dozen guards and sometimes quest NPCs just to not die) and restored from an earlier save and now just stay the hell away from any treasure chests that are Theft items. I wouldn't mind a little Dark Side stuff, but imho it's ridiculous for every guard and quest NPC in the entire world to decide to permanently attack you on sight because you stole one lousy potion from a Keep chest.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 04:46:16 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: February 22, 2012, 04:45:53 AM »

FaeBlades are pretty awesome. I might have to give up on the great sword, as it just ain't fast enough to deal with groups I've found. Whereas the Faeblades are something more like a Tasmanian Devil.  icon_cool

« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 04:48:13 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: February 22, 2012, 04:49:38 AM »

Quote from: Lordnine on February 21, 2012, 07:02:15 PM

I think it depends how you try to play the game.  I came to the conclusion pretty early on that the developers never intended for you to play even half of the side quests in an area.  Instead you should pick up a couple and complete them on the way to the primary quest line.  Given how much better written and content intensive the main quests are I don’t think you would want to do anything else anyways.  
I noticed the same thing.  I was being a completionist and doing every main, faction and side quest I picked up through lvl 28.  I've now outleveled the main and faction quest areas I'm in (all the overland creatures are grey).  The dungeons seem to scale, but the overland stuff doesn't.  

At level 30 I've tried out the tier 5 sorcery, might and finesse abilities, playing a quest or 2 with each, and yes, all class combos are very powerful at that level...even on hard. But I'm ok with that, since my character is supposed to be a badass, and it's fun.  Some combos are easier than others.  Pure Might isn't very challenging, but it is fun.  My health bar barely moves.  I activate Relentless Assault and power through baddies using a greatsword or hammer.  

Pure Sorcery is also very powerful.  Using Meteor is like calling in guaranteed death from the heavens on all but the toughest foes.  Follow that up with Tempest and nothing walks away.  I've played most of the game as pure sorcery, and I actually found myself using my chakrams and staff more, just to make the experience more challenging.  If I get bored or tired doing a quest, I'll Meteor and Tempest everything.

Finesse requires the most thinking and skill, but it's still very powerfull.  The use of finesse abilities requires more situational awareness than might and sorcery.  Do you throw down mines (Gambit) and stand back and shoot charged spread shots with the bow?  Do you fire off a volley?  Or do you use smoke bomb and go in for melee zipping around using lunge?  Lots of options.  Definitely harder than Meteor + Tempest, or Relentless Assault + Battle Frenzy + large melee weapon.  It's all fun though.      
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 04:55:45 AM by Roguetad » Logged
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: February 22, 2012, 05:03:29 AM »

Quote from: Blackjack on February 22, 2012, 04:45:53 AM

FaeBlades are pretty awesome. I might have to give up on the great sword, as it just ain't fast enough to deal with groups I've found. Whereas the Faeblades are something more like a Tasmanian Devil.  icon_cool
In addition to just being cool to use, faeblades have 2 really helpful attacks.  The dodge attack works great against clusters of enemies, launching them into the air and clearing some space to dodge and move.  It also applies weapon effects on all of the creatures that were hit.  The delayed attack is incredibly helpful keeping mages and other key foes off their feet, launching them into the air and doing really good damage.  Even just using the plain vanilla attack, faeblades can and will hit multiple enemies at a time, multiple times.  Something to do with the attack spin, faeblades will hit multiple times, increasing the chance to apply poison and other weapon based effects (tier 5 finesse stun and bleed procs).  The faeblade parry is probably the coolest looking melee animation in the game, spinning/flipping madly in a rising arc, and finishing with a brutal overhead faeblade strike.      
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 05:05:10 AM by Roguetad » Logged
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: February 22, 2012, 03:55:18 PM »

I am finding my Great Sword works OK on larger, more lumbering targets. When I think I'll be surrounded by smaller ones, I tend to switch to the Fae Blades. I like having just a bit of variety, so I'm spreading skill points a bit (I appreciate that we get 3 points to play with at each level).

My main problem is I've gotten nowhere on Alchemy (not even sure where to get recipes), and no shop seems to sell health potions. I'm always out of them, aside from the stray, occasional drop. At one point last night, I just brushed my teeth and did some house cleaning waiting for my 0.1% health regeneration to finally fill my health meter before running into a boss attack, which took about 10 minutes.  icon_redface

I'll check the digital manual, but can anyone clue me in how to make health potions? Just don't understand how to get or make recipes for it. I desperately need them.  icon_smile Maybe I'm shopping at the wrong vendors or missing something obvious.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 04:01:58 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
toger
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: February 22, 2012, 04:22:04 PM »

I've purchased health potions from Nanne in Gorheart. I know I've bought them elsewhere, but I don't remember exactly where. To make health potions, you need emberweed and black cohosh. I've discovered that both plants grow fairly close by each other. The two recipes I have (one of which resulted in the health potion) I got by just combining various ingredients at random. You can sorta tell what you'll get based on the description of the various plants, but it doesn't always work.. in which case you'll get an unstable potion with unknown results when you drink it.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 04:30:31 PM by toger » Logged

Powered by PMS ™
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: February 22, 2012, 05:26:00 PM »

Once you have some decent shards, look into sagecraft.  You can craft  health regen gems.  Also, keep an eye out for rings in the stores.  I have two which combined give me 1 health and mana every second. 

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: February 22, 2012, 05:43:12 PM »

Thanks guys, I'll look into that. I guess what I'm confused on with the potion is when I set up at the appropriate, uh, table (I forget the name), it says I can't do anything because I don't have any recipes. So I'm not sure how to combine ingredients, or where to go to do that. I have tons of plant ingredients of all kinds now.

Did I mention how nice it is to be able to save as often as I want, just about any time I want? Other than reloading an older save because I got tired of all the guards attacking me after a Theft, I've rarely needed to reload any saves. It's just a nice "crutch."  icon_smile

So far (level 4-5), I've found boss battles very exciting, but not "rub it in your face" difficult at the normal skill level. I've sometimes likened the combat to LOTR: War in the North but there, certain boss battles felt well nigh impossible and would take me a dozen tries, and sometimes involved replaying lengthy passages to reach said boss again. Here they're tough, exciting, fun and often I win by the skin of my teeth. Once in a while I'll fail, and try different weaponry on the next go around. I feel like the game's challenging me, not punishing me.  icon_smile

I think this is better for me stress-wise, whereas War in the North too often had me wanting to smash my controller or keyboard into my 23" monitor in frustration. Which would be bad.  icon_razz
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 05:45:09 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
toger
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: February 22, 2012, 06:58:20 PM »

There should be two buttons: one says "create" - use this one when you have actual recipes; the other says "experiment" - that's the one where you can create recipes by trying various plant elements.