http://gamingtrend.com
July 26, 2014, 09:30:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning announced  (Read 19261 times)
Morgul
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: February 03, 2012, 06:15:36 PM »

4 more days...   icon_razz

I am getting this one on the PS3 though.   But I cannot wait.  I did 3 x on the demo and damned if I do not want to launch it again every time I sit down in the evening.    I still don't got a full grasp of the multi class thing yet, but, since you can respec, I will try it out after I get some levels.

For now, I want to backstab something and pull of crazy combos with my bow/melee.

Seems like I should be gamed out after holiday games, 200+ hours on skyrim, a 1 month swtor fest, etc.   

But damn,this one and twisted metal have me feeling like February is december all over...   Lot of gaming to do...
Qantaga

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: February 03, 2012, 06:17:23 PM »

I'm at 34% of my PC pre-load from Amazon.

I'm going to be incredibly sad when it finishes, but they game doesn't open until Tuesday. frown

But, I will be happy knowing it's already installed and waiting for me. smile

Xbox Live: Sukaro
PSN: Suroka

Until I die I'll sing these songs on the shores of Babylon
Still looking for a home in a world where I belong

~Switchfoot
Qantaga

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: February 03, 2012, 09:46:36 PM »

The download has completed and now will be mocking me until Tuesday. smile

I do have a question for anyone else that has pre-loaded this from Amazon.

I get to the part where I enter my product code. Then, to a screen that says:

YOU'RE ALMOST THERE...

You have successfully activated the following game for the account: xxxxxxxxxx Please click Next to install this game on your computer.

However, the "Next" button does not seem active (nothing happens if I click it, it doesn't even "depress"). Will it not install until Tuesday (I thought I could go ahead and install it, but the game wouldn't open until Tuesday)? Or is something borked with my install procedure?

Edit: Now, I can't even get to that "You're almost there" screen. When I click the "Install" button on the Kingdoms of Amular splash screen, it brings up the Origin program and says "No Games Detected."

I'm hoping this is the part that is turned off until Tuesday, or I will be sorely vexed.

Just posting to see if this is normal, or if I need to be troubleshooting.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 09:56:25 PM by Qantaga » Logged

~Switchfoot
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: February 04, 2012, 01:34:43 AM »

apparently Origin is having 'issues' today.  I had to trick it into thinking the Amazon files I downloaded were actually downloaded by Origin, kinda like what they say here:

http://forums.reckoning.amalur.com/showthread.php?3685-Install-Amazon-Game-Files-in-Origin

I had to play around with it since I had changed my Origins install/download destinations but it finally worked and is installed.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Qantaga

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: February 04, 2012, 04:08:48 PM »

Thanks CeeKay!

It"s now installed and at the "Release Date Check" screen.

Come on Tuesday. smile

~Switchfoot
shon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #125 on: February 06, 2012, 04:41:01 AM »

Bought from Amazon and downloaded through Origin and found a way to play early. 

Just made it through the tutorial section and I did notice that it runs a little better, I still have a slight delay when I swing at barrels, which bugs me for some reason. The initial loading time is still a little long, but not as bad as the demo.  Still not sure on what character type I want to play as.  When I played the demo I skipped all the story stuff and now that I'm listening to it, the voice work is pretty good, but the unanimated faces do stand out.
I'm playing on hard mode and notice it is tougher than the demo which was locked at normal but not sure what the advantages are playing at that level.  Seems you can switch at anytime but may lose some achievements.

Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: February 06, 2012, 07:50:16 PM »

Just purchased this from Steam. But it's not giving me a pre-release download option. Anyone else not getting the pre-download? First time this has happened to me.
The purchase went trough fine, confirmed by mail. The game shows up in my library.

Grace: Unmerited favor.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: February 06, 2012, 08:00:10 PM »

Quote from: Arclight on February 06, 2012, 07:50:16 PM

Just purchased this from Steam. But it's not giving me a pre-release download option. Anyone else not getting the pre-download? First time this has happened to me.
The purchase went trough fine, confirmed by mail. The game shows up in my library.

Steam isn't doing a pre-load, all they're advertising right now is pre-purchase.  I've only seen pre-loading mentioned as being at Amazon and Origin.

Because I can,
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #128 on: February 06, 2012, 08:10:02 PM »

EA is using every sleazy tactic they've got to make people desperate enough to use Origin. Don't give in. When you're downloading the game on Steam on release day, imagine that as your way of giving EA the proverbial finger.
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: February 06, 2012, 08:49:33 PM »

Yeah, Its not really bothering me to wait, just thought I might be experiencing a glitch or something.
When you think about it, it does feel like marketing manipulation to get us to purchase early from them.

I can wait.

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #130 on: February 06, 2012, 08:57:36 PM »

Quote from: Arclight on February 06, 2012, 08:49:33 PM

When you think about it, it does feel like marketing manipulation to get us to purchase early from them.

No need to think or feel. They are manipulating the market on purpose, for obvious reasons. It's even worse with games like Mass Effect 3 where they, after 2 games on Steam, decide to make it exclusive to Origin. At that point I say "fuck you!" to EA and find alternate means of playing the game that doesn't benefit their greed and doesn't reward them for a hostile attitude towards paying customers.
Qantaga

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: February 06, 2012, 10:19:26 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on February 06, 2012, 08:10:02 PM

EA is using every sleazy tactic they've got to make people desperate enough to use Origin. Don't give in. When you're downloading the game on Steam on release day, imagine that as your way of giving EA the proverbial finger.

TiLT, I understand what you're saying and respect that you are speaking with your purchasing decisions.

Personally, I would have liked to have bought the game through Steam. However, my decision to go through Amazon was two-fold:

1. Saving $9.00

2. Preferring the Amazon in-game perks to the Steam Team Fortress perks (which I would never use).

So, I understand your Origin disdain, but Amazon was easily the best choice for me. I don't consider saving money and getting better items to fall into the sleazy territory.

~Switchfoot
Qantaga

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: February 06, 2012, 10:22:30 PM »

As for the game itself, less than 10 hours to go.

I'm planning on getting up at 5:00 a.m. to play a couple of hours before work. smile

~Switchfoot
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #133 on: February 06, 2012, 10:23:32 PM »

Personally I thought it was worth an extra $9 to not have to use Origin.  The Steam version is the only one that doesnít register with Origin.  I also wanted to show support for the developer who chose to self-publish on Steam against EAís wishes.
Qantaga

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: February 06, 2012, 10:35:57 PM »

Quote from: Lordnine on February 06, 2012, 10:23:32 PM

Personally I thought it was worth an extra $9 to not have to use Origin.  The Steam version is the only one that doesnít register with Origin.  I also wanted to show support for the developer who chose to self-publish on Steam against EAís wishes.

See, that's where I need to do more research. I didn't know that buying through Amazon would damage 38 Studios.

Believe me, I am not arguing with you, I just need to be more informed. How did I hurt 38 Studios by buying their game through Amazon?

~Switchfoot
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #135 on: February 06, 2012, 11:17:36 PM »

You didnít.  Or maybe you did; I guess that depends if EA or Valve takes a bigger piece of the revenue.  But they took a chance by releasing it on Steam and if no one buys it there they might not release their next game on the platform.  Either way Origin becomes more powerful and while I canít say for certain I highly doubt EA will continue to discount their games if they find people flocking to their service. 

Qantaga

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: February 06, 2012, 11:52:01 PM »

Thanks Lordnine. I appreciate the explanation.

While the $9 savings was nice, the Steam offering of TF2 skins (v. the Fate-touched weapons) was what ultimately led me to buying from Amazon.

I'm hoping KoA is such a tremendous success that 38 Studios can dictate their own distribution methods from now on. Having Schilling can't hurt, as he strikes me as the kind of guy who will do something just because EA tells him he can't.    

Now, back to deciding if I want to focus on Finesse/Sorcery, pure Sorcery, Might/Sorcery, pure Might, Finesse/Might ...

~Switchfoot
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: February 07, 2012, 12:56:13 AM »

I bought through Amazon because I am their bitch  icon_biggrin

Honestly I had no idea about the Origin thingie until I was pre-loading and it was too late.  Like Q, I preferred Amazon's bonuses plus the savings was nice as well.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: February 07, 2012, 01:41:43 AM »

I'm willing to sell out every other gamer for 9 bucks  icon_twisted Tongue

Because I can,
Barrakketh
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: February 07, 2012, 02:32:45 AM »

For anyone that purchased this through Steam, the Pre-load is now (finally) operational.

I'm leaning to a finesse/magic hybrid, although not sure if I'll go more magic, or more finesse.

Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: February 07, 2012, 03:17:07 AM »

Yep, noticed that about a hour ago. I don't know a whole lot about the game. But as per usual for me on a first time through a deep or fairly deep RPG, I'll be going some type of strength based warrior.

Should be ready for when I get up in the morning.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: February 07, 2012, 07:14:23 AM »

been playing since this unlocked at midnight, and made it to the first town where I was able to pick up the Fae weapons that were the pre-order bonus.  nothing looked to be too overpowered in those, as a matter of fact the first pair of daggers I crafted were pretty much more powerful than the Fae daggers.  I also got Shepard's armor, which is for a warrior (requires 3 might) but I don't see the blades.  it's odd because I thought those didn't unlock until the ME3 demo was played...

it appears that they aren't worth anything goldwise if you sell them, and the fae weapons plus the other bonus items from playing the demo take up 16 of the 70 slots for inventory, so I imagine they'll be getting dropped/destroyed.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: February 07, 2012, 08:15:06 AM »

OK, the Shepard's Armor may be a bit overpowered.  I quicksaved and put 33 into Might to see what it did, and it's pretty damn cool looking.

everything seems smoother from the demo, no weird graphic glitches, sounds aren't taking a second or so to start playing correctly.

Because I can,
Morgul

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: February 07, 2012, 02:03:45 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on February 07, 2012, 07:14:23 AM

been playing since this unlocked at midnight

I cannot believe you shammed out of work today to play a game.
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: February 07, 2012, 03:33:29 PM »

Just got in. The graphic styling reminds me of Guild Wars for some reason..I think its that kinda fuzzy blurring effect. Not many options to play with graphics settings. But what I've played so far, very little, I think I've got a new obsession.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: February 07, 2012, 10:20:11 PM »

I was just watching the opening splash screen and noticed an odd similarity:

Because I can,
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: February 07, 2012, 10:23:18 PM »

This game needs storage chest badly

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: February 07, 2012, 10:32:07 PM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on February 07, 2012, 10:23:18 PM

Oh that reminds me,because i played the demo there should be something in the town chest(i think it was)for me when i play the game

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
shon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #148 on: February 07, 2012, 10:41:45 PM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on February 07, 2012, 10:23:18 PM

You will eventually get houses where you can put your stuff in.

baelthazar

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: February 08, 2012, 07:06:12 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on February 07, 2012, 10:20:11 PM

I was just watching the opening splash screen and noticed an odd similarity:

IIRC Curt Schilling was a huge UO player and fan. Possibly a connection there.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: February 08, 2012, 10:57:27 AM »

I don't think I've ever so completely reversed my original opinion of a game like this before.

When I first played KoA:Reckoning on the PC (demo) a few weeks ago, I was genuinely disappointed.  I hated the camera, I thought the graphics had about 10 doses too much of things like color saturation and bloom, and the responsiveness of the controls felt weak.

Fast forward to now, (after trying the 360 version and reading and watching a ton of videos) and I can't believe how much fun I'm having with it.  Getting it on the PC ended up (I think) being a great move as well.  The game looks and feels excellent now.  Did anything really change since the demo?  I really have no clue, but it certainly feels like it.  Maybe it's just switching to the 360 controller instead of using mouse/keyboard on the PC that makes it appear to be so much better?  No idea.  But I'm trying to recall a total shift in my opinion of a game in such a short period of time, and I can't think of any.  The only negative I can even think of right now is the excessively long load times on certain screens, as I can't figure out why this is happening on such a great computer. 

Big Huge Thumbs Up for Big Huge Games and 38 Studios.

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: February 08, 2012, 01:11:33 PM »

icon_lol I hate you lockdown.  Now I may have to break down and get this.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: February 08, 2012, 03:19:55 PM »

If you wait a few days, I'm sure people will start complaining about all the things they don't like.  Might save you some money.  

Also, in case it benefits anyone else:  I found out why my load screens were ridiculously long.  In a word... V-Sync.  I disabled it via the game and the loadtimes went from about 45 seconds to less than 3 seconds.  Found that little trick from reading the Gamespot forums of all places.

edit to clarify:  I'm speaking about the loadtimes upon entering/exiting a building or new area.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 03:28:02 PM by Lockdown » Logged

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: February 08, 2012, 03:48:22 PM »

Faeblades are cool. That is all you need to know.
Qantaga

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: February 08, 2012, 05:38:48 PM »

Quote from: Jag on February 08, 2012, 03:48:22 PM

Faeblades are cool. That is all you need to know.

Agreed. At level 9, I'm about 2/3 Sorcery and 1/3 Finesse. I cast the storm spell from a distance and close in with the Faeblades. I found a purple drop (Faeblades of Song, or somesuch) and they are amazing.

It has been a long time since I have been so completely enraptured with a game. Demons' Souls may have been the last time I was this obsessed with a game.:-)

I'm loving every minute (although work has caused most of those minutes to be late night, early morning). Who needs sleep? smile  

Oh, and my house is very cool. smile
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 06:03:26 PM by Qantaga » Logged

~Switchfoot
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: February 08, 2012, 06:53:18 PM »

I'm doing the same thing...sorcery with finesse, using the faeblades from the Amazon weapons pack.  While it may not be the most practical weapon selection, I've been having fun with the faeblades and chakrams.  I could easily just rely on one or the other, with a longer range weapon as my secondary, but it's been too cool throwing chakrams around and taking out the faeblades for close melee or stealth kills.

Are you guys wearing mage robes or leather armor?  Since I've been relying on mainly those 2 weapons to kill, I haven't really had a need for the magic regen boost from mage robes.  Maybe I'll switch over later in the game when I pick up more sorcery abilities. 

Visually, watching faeblades and chakrams in action is awesome. 
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: February 08, 2012, 07:26:12 PM »

I've only played a small bit of the opening game so far but I really liked just about everything, the introduction, the graphics and interface all feel well done.  Most importantly the plot/story is intriguing enough to make me want to experience more.

One quick question: on the PC, is there a hotkey or easy way to close screens?  The only thing that bugged me was having to hit ESC a bunch of times.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: February 08, 2012, 08:15:00 PM »

still not a big fan of lockpicking-  I'm just too heavy handed with the keyboard to be able to stop the slider before a pick breaks.  I'm playing finesse; haven't put any points in the other ones beyond the one point that went in without me getting a choice.  I've put 4 points into Blacksmithing so far (only level 6 or 7), 4 in lockpicking and I'll probably put some in stealth too.

Because I can,
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: February 08, 2012, 09:22:44 PM »

Quote from: rittchard on February 08, 2012, 07:26:12 PM

I've only played a small bit of the opening game so far but I really liked just about everything, the introduction, the graphics and interface all feel well done.  Most importantly the plot/story is intriguing enough to make me want to experience more.

One quick question: on the PC, is there a hotkey or easy way to close screens?  The only thing that bugged me was having to hit ESC a bunch of times.
I've been playing on my pc 360 controller, which this game seems well designed for.  No issues with the menus, just B to get out I think.  So if you don't mind using a controller, that might be the way to go.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: February 08, 2012, 10:13:15 PM »

Quote from: rittchard on February 08, 2012, 07:26:12 PM

I don't see a key to do it, but if you have a 360 controller hooked up, you can hit Start to get back to the game.  Since it changes controls on the fly, you can hit the button on the controller and then go right back to using mouse and keyboard.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: