http://gamingtrend.com
October 01, 2014, 06:55:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kingdoms of Amalur Impressions  (Read 9139 times)
Roguetad
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: March 30, 2012, 01:22:33 AM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on March 29, 2012, 08:01:31 PM

Everything I've heard says that focusing on the main quests is the best way to enjoy this game.  Exhausting the side content is just a fast way to wind up overlevelled, overpowered, and burned out on the experience.

-Autistic Angel
That was my experience.  There's a weird split in the game where you can choose to head east into the desert, or nw into the plains.  It's weird because the content is the same level.  I like freedom, but I found that confusing.  By the time I finished all of the quests in the plains, culminating in the quests for that zone's major city, I had already outleveled all of the desert content.  I skipped all of the desert zone's side quests, and just did the main story quest that unlocked the next major area.  After that the game drives you through the final zones straight to the finale.  I skipped all of those side quests too.  I was still overpowered, and outleveled everything right to the end.  

My advice would be if you're enjoying the main story, faction quests, and side quests, do everything until you start getting bored or burned out.  If you're easily distracted, don't have a lot of time to play, or are starting to get bored, ride the main quest straight to the end.  You can always go back and do the other content later.  
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: March 30, 2012, 02:51:42 AM »

I finished the main story today on hard,i have Travellers(4 missions),House of Sorrows(not started)Scholia Arcadia(1 or 2 missions in) and the Online Pass House of Valor factions to do

I have about 6 or so side quests to do(of a list i made of 200+)

Also did the Dead Kel DLC today(and last night) as well,and really enjoyed it,that took me around 8-10 hrs to get everything done(Captain Rast Brattigan was fun to listen to)

Overall i have 70+hrs on the clock,reckon i may touch 100 without the second DLC

I was level 39 when i finished the main story(Level 40 is the cap)

Quote from: Roguetad on March 30, 2012, 01:22:33 AM

That was my experience.  There's a weird split in the game where you can choose to head east into the desert, or nw into the plains.  It's weird because the content is the same level.   

did you actually step foot into the desert?...as it then locks at whatever level you are at that point(the Plains are meant to be next after the start area,then the Desert FWIW)

it was what i used later on in the game:
in the last area(Alabastra) when it was first unlocked for me,i ran all the way through it with 101 bad guys after me....when i outran them and i had 'uncovered' that area at say level 35,i fast travelled back to the previous area to continue my side quests...so by the time i came back to that last area i was about 2-3 levels higher than when i 'uncovered' it...i can't imagine people playing on less than hard,would of even bothered though,i was just doing the hard difficulty for the achievement,and made it 'normal' difficulty by doing this,it was still a decent challenge,my damn sword kept breaking a lot though

in that last area as i was running through i would stick my head into the caves as well then bug out,as i knew i would have to go into the caves later on...however i could not enter the very end area,so had to do that normally

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: March 30, 2012, 04:16:15 AM »

Yep, I ventured into the desert to check it out first before deciding to head in the other direction.  I didn't realize I locked the entire zone at that level from my first visit...but it makes sense now that you mention it.
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: March 30, 2012, 02:04:46 PM »

I don't get much time to play lately but this is what I've been playing. I'm easily distracted ("squirrel!") and want to help everybody so still in the starting area at level 8 and doing way too many "tasks". Finally went to a Side Quest last night and took care of The Widow, that was pretty cool. Sounds like I need to get back on the Main...

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: April 02, 2012, 03:27:22 AM »

It seems like the #1 complaint with the game on various forums is the lack of challenge, even on Hard. How difficult can it be to patch that? Simply make a nightmare mode where all enemies hit for "x"% more damage, and give them extra hit points.

I'm still going to hold out for a little longer before playing this, on the hopes this will be changed. Asura's Wrath and Silent Hill Downpour have me covered.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: April 02, 2012, 11:58:59 AM »

Quote from: Dante Rising on April 02, 2012, 03:27:22 AM

It seems like the #1 complaint with the game on various forums is the lack of challenge, even on Hard. How difficult can it be to patch that? Simply make a nightmare mode where all enemies hit for "x"% more damage, and give them extra hit points.

I'm still going to hold out for a little longer before playing this, on the hopes this will be changed. Asura's Wrath and Silent Hill Downpour have me covered.

just don't do what i did,and i am sure the difficulty will be fine for you,and even though i edged it to be easier,it still took me 87hrs including the DLC to finish,and i still have the House of Valor faction quests to do

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: April 04, 2012, 06:15:19 PM »

The second(or Third if you count the online pass)DLC is due on 17th April(The Witcher 2 day!!)

Teeth of Naros

800points/$9.99

* A new city - Explore the city of Idylla, which magically floats in the sky above the Teeth of Naros featuring more than 20 side quests, multiple dungeons and a mysterious new race
    * New enemies and dungeons - Players will take part in a crucible of faith and tribulation with new dangers and enemies as they journey through five enormous new dungeons
    * New Twists of Fate and items - Three new Twists of Fate, nine new armor sets, six new shields and 18 new unique weapons for players to choose from as they journey through this new world

skystride

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: July 06, 2013, 03:59:09 AM »

Got this on a Steam sale and finally started playing it.  Went in with pretty low expectations but I'm finding it really good.  It's like playing an action version of Everquest 2.

It came with a bunch of DLC like Teeth of Naros which starts at level 10+.  I'm wondering, should I skip these until I finish the main quest?  It wouldn't be good if it overleved me and the main quest provided no challenge.  I didn't even like the weapon pack that I got to start with.  Bunch of set items that basically made loot pointless for the first part of the game and combat trivial.
Suitably Ironic Moniker

WAKKA-WAKKA-WAKKA!!!

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: July 06, 2013, 04:18:49 AM »

Yeah, I got it in April and fell off, and am now redownloading it. No idea about the DLC, though you certainly don't want to make the combat pointless, as the story is no great shakes.

Patriotism means being loyal to your country all the time and to its government when it deserves it - Mark Twain

3ds friend code: 0001-3352-7186
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #169 on: July 06, 2013, 03:50:33 PM »

Quote from: skystride on July 06, 2013, 03:59:09 AM

Got this on a Steam sale and finally started playing it.  Went in with pretty low expectations but I'm finding it really good.  It's like playing an action version of Everquest 2.

It came with a bunch of DLC like Teeth of Naros which starts at level 10+.  I'm wondering, should I skip these until I finish the main quest?  It wouldn't be good if it overleved me and the main quest provided no challenge.  I didn't even like the weapon pack that I got to start with.  Bunch of set items that basically made loot pointless for the first part of the game and combat trivial.
I played this way back when it first came out and was very happy with it.  One of the problems it has though is that regardless of what you do, you will hit max level before the end of the game.  If you try to clear every area in the game you pass-through (DONíT DO THIS!) you will hit max level by about the 50% mark.

The developers admitted at one point that they incorrectly assumed that people would just follow the main quest line and pick up the odd quest here or there and balanced the game around that idea.

If you want the highlights of the optional quest lines track down the House of Sorrows, Scholia Arcana and Warsworn.  All of them have good story elements and fun gameplay. 

I would say House of Ballads is the worst set of faction quest in the game.

As for DLC, the Dead Kel expansion is better than anything in the main game so I would definitely make time for that.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: