http://gamingtrend.com
April 18, 2014, 12:26:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kingdoms of Amalur Impressions  (Read 8697 times)
The_Man
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: January 18, 2012, 02:35:26 PM »

Very surprised not to see any discussion about the demo since it was released yesterday.  It's not exactly what I expected, but I absolutely loved it.  The initial 10 minutes or so has you trying to escape a building and meet up with a professor who might know why you came back from the dead.  This takes place in a dark tower like area that is filled with guards and lava.  This area gives you a basic gameplay tutorial as well.

Once you escape the crumbling tower, you exit into a beautiful forest area where you get your first quest.  Here is where the game really began to grab me.  You get 45 minutes to do anything you like.  Do quests, level up, discover new areas and the cool thing is the timer stops while you are in the pause menu.  This means that leveling up and inventory usage does not count against your time.  

One cannot help but compare the gameplay and art style to Fable, but the game is sooooooo much deeper than Fable.  Lots of stats and abilities as well as talent trees for each class.  There truly are no boundaries as to the way you shape your character's combat style.

I have followed this game ever since Curt Schilling started his own company and I can honestly say that this might be my most anticipated game of the year.  While not exactly what I was expecting, it is exactly what I wanted.  

I might add that you get some armor for Mass Effect 3 just for starting the demo as well as a couple of items for the full game of Kingdoms of Amalur.  During my run through the demo I unlocked a couple more items for the full game as well as a weapon for Mass Effect 3 for finishing the demo.  

Just curious what others think.  I've seen the Fable comparisons and I've seen it called a Fable/Skyrim hybrid, but most comments have been very positive about the demo.    
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 08:31:37 PM by naednek » Logged
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 03:10:20 PM »

I posted my view in the PC Forum by accident thinking it was a thread in console gaming

pretty good demo

If you are a fan of Fable,then i think you may like this,with little hints of Dragon Age and Elder Scrolls

pretty large demo as well,the first part of the demo,will have you escaping from a big dungeon with the help of a Gnome and getting to know the basics

The controls are pretty straight forward,X to use primary weapon(sword,dual knives or staff)Y to use secondary weapon(Bow and Arrow),B and Left stick to dodge,RT and X,A,B and Y to use a power(only X was available for me in the demo),D-pad for medicines etc

And then the second half of the demo has you in a much more open world environment,with lots of quest givers about,i reckon(haha,no pun intended)i must of done pretty much most of what can be achieved in the demo,i was trying to finish a quest when the demo ended

when you start the second part of the demo a notice appears saying that you now have 45 minutes(not included when you are talking to someone)to play the demo,so with the first half and the fact that the clock stops when you are talking to someone i think i must of spent 2hrs + on the demo

there are quests that you can receive in the game,but it tells you it can not be finished in the demo

I quite enjoyed it,and i may pick the game up when it is released in February

as said in the ME3 thread,you get your ME3 armour at the beginning of the demo and your ME3 weapon at the end of the demo

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 04:36:37 PM »

IN!!

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2012, 08:02:52 PM »

Really like it.

I've gotten to the part where I have 45 minutes left in the demo (after what seems like more than enough demo already).  Is there a reason to keep playing?  In other words does anything else unlock once I get to the end of that time?  I'm not looking forward to playing through all of this again.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2012, 08:04:08 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on January 18, 2012, 08:02:52 PM

Really like it.

I've gotten to the part where I have 45 minutes left in the demo (after what seems like more than enough demo already).  Is there a reason to keep playing?  In other words does anything else unlock once I get to the end of that time?  I'm not looking forward to playing through all of this again.

yeah, an item for Mass Effect 3 unlocks at the end of the time limit.  of course once you go through the tower section once it should let you skip it the next time, albeit with less gold and stuff than you pick up while actually playing it.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2012, 02:59:22 PM »

Does anyone know how 'cross platform' these unlocks are? Meaning, if I play the demo on my PS3 but buy the game (or ME3) on my 360 or PC, will the unlocks be there since they are (I assume) tied to my EA account?

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2012, 03:21:56 PM »

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on January 19, 2012, 02:59:22 PM

Does anyone know how 'cross platform' these unlocks are? Meaning, if I play the demo on my PS3 but buy the game (or ME3) on my 360 or PC, will the unlocks be there since they are (I assume) tied to my EA account?

I'd like to know this, too, as I will buy Reckoning  on PS3, but all my playtime for ME and ME2 was on 360, so will buy ME3 on 360.  If it is some kind of code, I imagine it wouldn't be cross-platform, but if it pushed content automatically through login with your EA login, I am hopeful it will be platform agnostic.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2012, 04:08:08 PM »

played the demo on the PC, and when I go to the Bioware Social network and look at my game unlocks I only have the PC version of the unlocks for ME3 listed.

Because I can,
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2012, 05:40:43 PM »

It was ok, but definitely not worth $60 for me.  I'll pick it up under $25 at some point.

I'm REALLY tired of games encouraging me to break every crate/barrel/bookshelf for loot/gold.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2012, 11:45:04 PM »

I guess it makes shopping at Crate and Barrel and Ikea pretty likely to end with a jail sentence.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2012, 03:47:03 AM »

Quote from: Harkonis on January 19, 2012, 05:40:43 PM

It was ok, but definitely not worth $60 for me.  I'll pick it up under $25 at some point.

I'm REALLY tired of games encouraging me to break every crate/barrel/bookshelf for loot/gold.

I think the only thing I ever found in breakable stuff was gold, and very little of it.  Given how expensive things are, I don't think you'll miss anything if you don't break stuff.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
USMC Kato

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2012, 04:04:08 AM »

I'm so OC in every game that I have to destroy every crate or barrel if I know there might be something inside

Semper Fidelis

Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2012, 09:37:20 AM »

I really enjoyed the game. As already mentioned the game channels Fable from a graphics standpoint, but the overall gameplay is much deeper.

From what I have read in developer interviews, the core game is roughly 50-60 hours long, and completing all of the side quests can take over 200 hours. Apparently there are 50+ towns and cities to visit, and over 100 dungeons. For that amount of content I'll buy it at full price.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 09:39:01 AM by Dante Rising » Logged
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2012, 01:55:25 PM »

The biggest problem with this game is the name.

I cannot remember it, ever.

MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2012, 02:06:06 PM »

For some reason, every time I saw it I thought it was an MMO, finally realized it was a single-player RPG. D'oh.

I've started the demo on both consoles now, so have all of the unlocks on both expect for whatever comes when it ends. Played further on the 360, made it out and into the sagecraft, Fateweaver, threads and fateshifting stuff... I like what I've seen and will be picking this up. Even if I have to smash crates.  icon_wink

-craig

Qantaga

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2012, 03:24:23 AM »

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on January 20, 2012, 02:06:06 PM

For some reason, every time I saw it I thought it was an MMO, finally realized it was a single-player RPG. D'oh.

You're probably thinking of Copernicus, which is the MMO that is being developed by 38 Studios, with a lot of the same talent (Salvatore, McFarlane, et al) involved.

Xbox Live: Sukaro
PSN: Suroka

Until I die I'll sing these songs on the shores of Babylon
Still looking for a home in a world where I belong

~Switchfoot
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2012, 04:33:52 PM »

is this demo for XBL Gold subscribers only?  I looked everywhere this morning (new releases, most popular, under "K") and it's not showing up at all.   saywhat

My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2012, 05:45:24 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on January 22, 2012, 04:33:52 PM

is this demo for XBL Gold subscribers only?  I looked everywhere this morning (new releases, most popular, under "K") and it's not showing up at all.   saywhat

Yes, it does say Gold Exclusive, though I think that usually only lasts a week or so, look here

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Morgul

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2012, 11:38:34 PM »

Alright, playing the demo.  But every time I restart I have to go through the tutorial again. 
How you skipping it Ceekay?

Anyone got a cool path to take once you get outside the tower?  My 45 minutes went quick and I didn't get to check many cool things out.  Should I just follow where the quests take me?

And, I like it btw and will buy it.  Good stuff.
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2012, 03:03:48 AM »

It should be prompting you when you start the next play session, asking you if you want to skip the tutorial tower section or play though it again.

-craig

Morgul

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2012, 05:15:42 PM »

Hrmm, no idea why I have to keep hitting the tower.

But, its all good.   I like this game.  Played the rogue and the mage so far.  Wish they hadn't released the demo so far out because I want to play some more.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2012, 05:53:37 PM »

Quote from: Morgul on January 24, 2012, 05:15:42 PM

But, its all good.   I like this game.  Played the rogue and the mage so far.  Wish they hadn't released the demo so far out because I want to play some more.

Maybe you have to get to the point where it tells you that you have 45 minutes left (even though it reboots you to just after the tower if you restart)?

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2012, 07:39:43 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on January 24, 2012, 05:53:37 PM

Quote from: Morgul on January 24, 2012, 05:15:42 PM

Maybe you have to get to the point where it tells you that you have 45 minutes left (even though it reboots you to just after the tower if you restart)?

he said his 45 minutes went quickly, so I'm thinking he's done that.  maybe the game is just punishing him.

Because I can,
Morgul

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2012, 02:22:49 PM »

No idea.  I did the 45 minutes on two toons.  I haven't tried it since, I know enough to know I am buying the game and playing the shit out of it at release.

Plus twisted metal the following week.   busy busy busy..   icon_lol
Enigma
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2012, 07:56:51 PM »

I played the demo up to where is said "you now have 45 minutes to play."  but unfortunately they had already lost my interest and I didn't continue.  I guess I might try it again now that I know the rest of the game is more "open world".  The tower part was a snooze fest for me.  Looked pretty, ran smooth, boring as all get out.  And what's with the archery system?  How do you aim?

Now Playing:
PS3: Demon Souls
PC:   Diablo III, Saints Row 3, Anno 1404 (Dawn of Discovery)
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2012, 08:25:09 PM »

Quote from: Enigma on January 26, 2012, 07:56:51 PM

I played the demo up to where is said "you now have 45 minutes to play."  but unfortunately they had already lost my interest and I didn't continue.  I guess I might try it again now that I know the rest of the game is more "open world".  The tower part was a snooze fest for me.  Looked pretty, ran smooth, boring as all get out.  And what's with the archery system?  How do you aim?
What I figured out was that there is some form of flick stick targeting, where you flick the stick to switch targets.  I didn't use archery long enough to figure out how to get precise with it. 

EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2012, 08:31:28 PM »

Spoiler about player housing -
Spoiler for Hiden:
All houses offer some basic services.
In them, players can regenerate health and mana by sleeping, customize their appearance using a Mirror, or store excess inventory items in the Stash. For convenience, stashed items show up in every house, regardless of which house you originally stashed them in. In addition, some houses can be upgraded to feature additional rooms, Sagecrafting, Alchemy, and Blacksmithing tables, and even pet monsters!

One of the player homes you can unlock via questing also comes with its own underground mines. This means as you upgrade the property, not only the home interior will change, but the underground mines will expand and grow too. This allows you even more expanded layouts to explore, both above ground and below.

I didn't think I could be more excited for this game, but I was wrong  drool

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2012, 08:58:02 PM »

Impressions of this game on this forum and others seems to be all over the place.  Ranging from "terrible" to "really fun".  I suppose I should try the demo and judge for myself.
Enigma
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2012, 09:00:18 PM »

I went back and played as a mage.  Still didn't grab me.  I'm going to wait on reviews, but for now it's a bargain bin purchase on this one.  Don't get me wrong, it looks very nice, has great production values, good art direction, nice voice acting, seems like a decent plot.  It just didn't make me want to play more.  I suggest everyone try the demo before you buy it... you may love it, but maybe not.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 10:00:14 PM by Enigma » Logged

Now Playing:
PS3: Demon Souls
PC:   Diablo III, Saints Row 3, Anno 1404 (Dawn of Discovery)
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2012, 08:13:43 PM »

Online Pass

More Mass Effect 3 content,as well as 7 Kingdom of Amalur missions

Forthcoming EA action RPG Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning sees the next evolutionary step of the online pass, with second hand purchasers locked out of single player content until they cough up for the required passcode.

As reported by Destructoid, an online pass included with new copies of the game in the US offers access to the House of Valor faction quest, which includes seven individual single player missions.

In addition, it'll also unlock a Mass Effect 3-themed in-game item - the N7-inspired Shepard's Battle Armour.

EA declined to comment when asked if the same system will be in place in the European release, currently scheduled for 10th February.

EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2012, 03:25:05 AM »

IGN has posted the final part of their review in progress.

The more and more I play Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning, the more and more confident I become that this game will take people by surprise in terms of how unusually good it is...it's Reckoning's gameplay that keeps rising to the top for me, because it's just so much better and far beyond what its WRPG contemporaries have done. It's arcadey, to be sure, but when you compare it to the three popular fantasy RPGs of our time -- Skyrim, Dark Souls and Dragon Age -- Reckoning easily outclasses all of them in the gameplay department. The competition isn't even remotely close in any respect.

disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2012, 06:27:29 PM »

Gabe from Penny Arcade has played the full game and has a lot of good things to say as well.

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2012, 06:53:59 PM »

The more I hear about this one, the more interested I get.  I had originally written it off as a basic "Ye Olde Fantasy RPG", but am quite excited to give it a shot now. 

DL'ed the XBL demo this morning (now that it unlocked for us Silver plebes), and will give it a shot once the little one goes down for her nap.

Morgul

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2012, 07:38:18 PM »

Screw it, its Saturday.   

Game is not out yet, so I am going to go play a warrior and do it again tower and all this afternoon..

After I finish up my ship missions and daily pvp on my swtor toons  Tongue
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2012, 09:06:47 PM »

I'm not sure how long it will last, but Newegg has the PS3 and 360 versions available for preorder for $44.99, matching Toysrus.com's price.

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2012, 09:39:23 PM »

I saw this as well.  good on them as they don't charge for shipping or tax in this state. 

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2012, 02:45:32 AM »

I had fun with that demo.  Don't think I liked it enough to prioritize over FF XIII-2, but I'll certainly be giving it a look once I'm done with Lightning & crew.

USMC Kato

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2012, 04:23:48 AM »

I'm sold. Getting this rather than Final Fantasy.

Semper Fidelis

Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2012, 07:56:49 PM »

I played the PC demo.  Its like Gothic/Risen and Fable had a beautiful and polished baby.  I went from knowing nothing about it to considering a preorder.

Also, Im still bitter that Mass Effect 3 wont be on Steam so this made me smile.  "All PC versions of Reckoning, except for the Steam version, require a one-time authentication through Origin and the Origin client. If you purchase Reckoning through Steam, you only need to authenticate the game through Steam."
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2012, 10:31:54 PM »

Interesting read here,Curt Schilling talks about Day One Online Pass DLC as well as the Buggy demo

http://kotaku.com/5880277/curt-schilling-faces-his-own-reckoning-over-amalurs-pass+protected-dlc

It seems to be fans annoyed at the Online Pass with single player DLC,and Curt Schilling at least seems to be honest,after owning up and making a mistake that he was mistaken when he had said he had no part in the online pass discussions

Now, to be fair, Schilling had earlier replied that he hadn't been privy to any discussion of an online pass, and seemed to misunderstand its purpose. That resulted in some of the forum rage.

"After a day of soul searching I do remember conversations I was on the cusp [regarding an Online Pass] of but I, ME, never followed up and didn't ever pursue them," Schilling admitted.

But then, it doesn't really matter. EA funded half of the game's development. "f EA and EAP don't step in and bet on us it would have never mattered and this game would have never been made," Schilling wrote.

as for the buggy demo,the only bugs i remember in the game was when i tilted the camera while i was fighting and falling into the ground,but it corrected itself after a few seconds,but it is still nice to hear the following

"Shipping old code out 3 months prior to gold master to a 3rd party with no stake in the demo success can be problematic," he said. "I am sure they made the best demo they could but as a studio packed to the gills with gamers, we refuse to believe code has to be unplayably buggy at launch, it doesn't. So to those that have had a horrid demo experience, I'm sorry, it's on us, our name is the name on the box we care about. I promise you, my word, that demo from a bug perspective is in NO WAY representative of the final code or product."

I think its good to see that a lot of people are at least passionate about the game,and hopefully will do some good sales

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: