http://gamingtrend.com
September 18, 2014, 10:09:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kingdom Under Fire: Cirlce of Doom demo  (Read 1161 times)
EngineNo9
Gaming Trend Senior Member

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« on: December 29, 2007, 10:59:13 PM »

I saw this demo on the XBox Live Marketplace and figured I'd give it a try.  I have to say that I had fun with it.  Not enough to make me buy the full game, but certainly entertained for a while (and it was a lengthy demo, at that).

Basically this is a hack-n-slash game kind of like Dynasty Warriors or Ninety Nine Nights, but I enjoyed this one more than I have those others when I tried them.  The enemies are mostly sword fodder, especially the smaller ones right away.  There are a ton of weapons of different styles, many with special abilities added on to them.  I think the depth of the game will come from selecting your best weapons, but you can also learn skills/spell type stuff.  The 'price' for learning new skills is that you have to kill a set number of certain enemies.  Kind of a unique mechanic to me. 

The graphics look really nice and your character moves quite fluidly all over the screen when you're attacking.  The levels are very narrow and corridor-ish (even though they're in the forest, sort of like Fable) so there isn't too much exploration to do other than alternate paths. 

It says that the levels are randomly generated and has drop-in coop for 2 to 4 players over Live and 6 different characters to play.  That seems like it would really lengthen the playtime you could get out of this. 

Anyone else give the demo a try? 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Hotfreak

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2007, 11:02:58 PM »

I haven't yet, but I remember that the last KoF had a lot of RTS elements to it.  Are they in the demo?

Edit: nvm, just checked it out and apparently it's an action RPG.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2007, 11:04:44 PM by Hotfreak » Logged

This one is on the house...and this one is better than ever...
Goldchamp
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2007, 11:07:21 PM »

I played a bit of it and got the exact impressions you did. Kind of a linear game thought but i was having fun. Depends on the length of the game for me wether i buy it.
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2007, 11:07:30 PM »

I actually liked it much better than the previous games, but the voices were so low compared to the music and the text font so small that I literally had no clue what they were saying without cranking up the volume so loud it was ridiculous.

I doubt I would get it for that reason alone at full price, but will definitely rent it and possibly get it when below $30.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2007, 02:50:30 AM »

cool and unexpected.  the videos looked good enough to warrant a look at the demo and if nothing else, i'll put this in the gamefly queue.

Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2007, 03:30:27 AM »

I played it a little bit earlier today, will give it some more time. Was reading a preview on this earlier this week, and well, the game sounds a little weird, but it's not like I am hurting for anything to play so this one can wait until it's dirt cheap.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2007, 04:31:37 AM »

Was anybody able to figure out the "Sythesize" mechanic?  I joined a couple weapons and items but all it seemed to do was average their qualities rather than add them up or create something new and unique.  Why would I pay to create something that seems worse than one of the original items?

Sandwiches do fix everything.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2007, 04:39:30 AM »

Quote from: Hotfreak on December 29, 2007, 11:02:58 PM

I haven't yet, but I remember that the last KoF had a lot of RTS elements to it.  Are they in the demo?

Edit: nvm, just checked it out and apparently it's an action RPG.

The removed the RTS elements from this entry, but they'll be back for the next game.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2007, 05:58:30 PM »

Downloaded, but like all games right now, haven't had a chance to play.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2007, 06:18:49 AM »

I played the demo and liked a lot of things about the game. It seems like it'll have a bit too much to it to be a rental so I'll likely buy it once it's price dropped. If other forum member express interest in online co-op play, this could possibly become a day 1 purchase for me.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2007, 08:17:13 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on December 30, 2007, 04:31:37 AM

Was anybody able to figure out the "Sythesize" mechanic?  I joined a couple weapons and items but all it seemed to do was average their qualities rather than add them up or create something new and unique.  Why would I pay to create something that seems worse than one of the original items?

Some qualities need to be averaged... recovery vs dmg... on top of which, synthing weapons or items that have abilities that you have no use for (lets say a katana with health-draining, but you want to use katsuragi (sp) (sickle on a chain) that already has one ability; it would make more sense to synth them.

Also, you may find items that aren't for your character but have some abilities you want to put on something else.

I am so EFFIN IN for KUF:COD now that I've played the demo to the end... it's like Diablo 2 meets Dynasty Warriors. Random weapons/items/maps, 4 player co-op.

I has the goosepimples.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2007, 09:30:44 PM »

Quote from: Purge on December 31, 2007, 08:17:13 PM

Some qualities need to be averaged... recovery vs dmg... on top of which, synthing weapons or items that have abilities that you have no use for (lets say a katana with health-draining, but you want to use katsuragi (sp) (sickle on a chain) that already has one ability; it would make more sense to synth them.

Also, you may find items that aren't for your character but have some abilities you want to put on something else.

I am so EFFIN IN for KUF:COD now that I've played the demo to the end... it's like Diablo 2 meets Dynasty Warriors. Random weapons/items/maps, 4 player co-op.

I has the goosepimples.

that sounds good.  i'll try this out when i get home. 

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2008, 04:32:01 PM »

I'm a little concerned about the repetition factor with this game.  It feels extremely linear to me.  That's not always an issue for me, but in the demo it just rubbed me the wrong way a little.  Of course, I was tired when I played it.

I'm going to wait for reviews, but I could see this being fun.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2008, 09:25:06 PM »

Quote from: Purge on December 31, 2007, 08:17:13 PM

I has the goosepimples.

Dude you are making me totally geeked to try this!
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2008, 01:35:18 AM »

Just gave it a try and it bored me to tears.  I am not into Dynasty Warrior-style games, but at least this one was more interesting than the ones I have seen in the past.  I guess it might be interesting to play co-op with someone else, but single player just wasn't terribly exciting.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2008, 04:35:47 PM »

Just tried the demo last night and I was pretty bored as well.  The rogue-like aspects are just way too limited almost to the level of Arkadian Warriors.  Graphics are nice though.  I'm itching for a good co-op game similar to Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance or the Everquest one.  There isn't really anything like that on 360 (closest probably is Marvel Alliance but without a fun loot system).  Maybe Sacred 2 will scratch that itch (although I dunno if it has co-op).
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2008, 05:42:22 PM »

I thought the demo sucked as well...but I have never played a KUF, so I don't really know what kind of game and genre it's supposed to be

I thought this particular game was supposed to be an action-adventure hack/combat game like the DMCs, Ninja Gaidens, and God of Wars...but it does not come anywhere close to the quality of those games
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: