http://gamingtrend.com
October 23, 2014, 05:56:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kingdom Hearts - wow it stinks  (Read 2197 times)
farley2k
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: August 20, 2004, 08:37:57 PM »

I picked it up since it is only $20 and I have to say it is the most beautiful piece of crap I have ever played.

The camera is worse than bad.  It actually fights the player.  In the levels it tries to follow which means that walking forward changes all the time.  For example in the Tarzan level when you are in the big house and walking on the rafters, the camera constantly keeps moving so you fall down because it walks Sora off the edge but you meant to be walking along the beam!  

My only other gripe is that the levels are so small.  It almost feels clausterphobic.  Almost all the levels are surrounded by really tall trees or some such thing to trap the player. Traverse Town is the biggest level so far with wide open areas.  Nothing else has had that in the first 3 worlds.

I love the Disney theme, the voice acting, the visuals, etc. but it is like work to play the game.  I work enough.

TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2004, 09:21:53 PM »

When someone's bashing my favorite video game of this console generation, I feel as if I need to defend it.

You do bring up a couple of flaws in the game, but I think the good outweighs the bad by a large margin.

Firstly, the camera.  Nobody seems to like KH's camera.  After my 30 hour romp through the game, I had no complaints with it whatsoever at the end.  It took awhile getting used to, but like every other game that uses a camera, I mastered it while I played it.  That said, I have yet to find a perfect camera and there are worse cameras than KH.  Spinx, right now, is giving me a hell of a time with its camera, for instance.

The levels do tend to be smaller than I'd like.  I think you'll find (if you continue to play) the later levels to be more what you want.  Wonderland and Deep Jungle are two of the most cramped worlds of the game...but the later levels do get a bit bigger (nothing too sizable, however) and I'd throw out some names of levels, but I don't want to spoil for you or for anyone else.

Hopefully they expand the levels in KH2, but as far as I'm concerned, I had no real gripe with the smaller levels.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2004, 12:28:10 AM »

Can't forget that frightfully bad Gummy Ship crap too. *jab jab poke poke*

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2004, 12:33:26 AM »

Hey now, I enjoyed that part of the game.  Where's the fun in just teleporting from world to world?

It was fairly mundane until I decided to go and build the ultimate gummi ship.  That's fun!

TheMissingLink on PSN
Balshazaar
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2004, 01:55:05 AM »

Meh.   I hated Kingdom Hearts.  I wanted to like it so much, but just thought that it was an overrated turd.  Thinking about it makes me need to poop.

farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2004, 02:28:23 AM »

Quote from: "TheMissingLink"
Hey now, I enjoyed that part of the game.  Where's the fun in just teleporting from world to world?

It was fairly mundane until I decided to go and build the ultimate gummi ship.  That's fun!

Seriously?  I didn't even mention that part of the game becaue I just assumed everyone hated it.  

It wouldn't have been so bad if there was a point to it but it just was tedious.  Want to buy some potions?  Oh well hold down the fire button which leafing through a magazine until you end up back in traverse town....yawn...

It was one of the worst mini-games I have ever seen, mostly because it was unavoidable!  At least most mini-games can be skipped if players don't like them, this one was forced down players throats quite frequently.

Even if it was fun it would still drive me nuts to have it happen so often.

TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2004, 06:23:48 AM »

It is skippable, actually.  Further in the game you can just teleport to different worlds if you wish to bypass that.

TheMissingLink on PSN
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2004, 01:06:54 PM »

Quote from: "TheMissingLink"
It is skippable, actually.  Further in the game you can just teleport to different worlds if you wish to bypass that.

Wonderful!  Between that and the promise of larger areas later in the game I feel compelled to keep pushing through.

whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2004, 01:39:08 PM »

Give me Looney Tunes over Disney any day of the week. smile

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2004, 02:28:06 PM »

Quote from: "Balshazaar"
Meh.   I hated Kingdom Hearts.  I wanted to like it so much, but just thought that it was an overrated turd.  Thinking about it makes me need to poop.

This may very well replace Devil's quote as my sig.

For some reason, I found this incredibly funny.

LD

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2004, 05:42:06 PM »

Farley, don't expect huge levels still...I just said they get marginally better.  I found the worlds to be more exciting the more I pressed onward.

So many Kingdom Hearts haters frown  It makes baby Jesus weep...

TheMissingLink on PSN
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2004, 01:05:06 AM »

Hell.. I didn't even like the concept, much less the actual gameplay.

Matter of fact.. I hate squaresoft too. I enjoyed FFVII a little, but still felt it was a terrible all-around experience. Yeah yeah, I hear the cries of "blasphemy!" already, but you know what? People start talking about Final Fantasy and all I hear is "Then I did this one boring thing, while this other boring garbage happened, and this other character that's just like the supporting character in every other final fantasy game that's ever been made... he did some more boring stuff and I loved it!" After that point my brain starts to turn every sentence they say into "BLOOBITY BLAH BLAH BLAH BLOOBITY BLAH" and I start having these cool visions of dwarves dancing in my head. They do the macarena and sing "whistle while you work". Only there's more than 7 dwarves.. and Snow White isn't there. Also, I hate Final Fantasy games.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2004, 01:11:10 AM »

Only I can replace my quote in your sig!!

Back on subject: I see both sides of the argument on this game, BUT I agree with Thin on FF. CaaaaRap!!!

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2004, 08:09:51 PM »

*comes out of the closet to agree that Kingdom Hearts was a disappointing piece o' crap*

*goes back into the closet*

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2004, 08:32:57 PM »

:roll: I didn't know so many people disliked this game!  I loved it:!:

TheMissingLink on PSN
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2004, 08:54:47 PM »

I loved the concept, the art, the story, and the voice work but I hate it when a game is a chore to play.

The perfect examples (to me) are the barrles in the colosium.  No mosters but hard....why?  Because the combat is so bad mixed with the camera that it is difficult to hit the barrel correctly to smack the one on the far away platform!

The other example as I have said is the rafters in the Tarzan level.  It is very difficult to walk on them sucessfully because the camera keeps moving all around which means that walking forward is about impossible.  You have to keep moving the camera to stop the perspective from changing and the character from falling.

Those are game mechanic issues which ruined the fun for me.  It wasn't the enemies, the AI, or the puzzles but the underlying game mechanics that suck the fun out of the game.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: