http://gamingtrend.com
November 25, 2014, 08:53:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kingdom Hearts 2 details and trailer  (Read 1596 times)
EddieA
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: December 02, 2004, 08:04:06 PM »

RPGamer has an interview with Tetsuya Nomura which gives some new details on Kingdom Hearts 2.  Also, IGN had an awesome new trailer for the game, but for some reason, they've taken it down.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2004, 08:35:12 PM »

Oooooh baby, can't wait can't wait!  Two discs and twice as long?  That is going to be great!

TheMissingLink on PSN
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2004, 08:47:47 PM »

IN!

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
BigRedCat
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2004, 10:40:13 PM »

I don't really get this. I recently grabbed Kingdom Hearts for five bucks and played up to and through ALice's world and so far it's rather boring. Does it get better? It seemed really lackluster up to that point.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2004, 10:59:11 PM »

It gets better - you'll get hooked biggrin

TheMissingLink on PSN
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2004, 11:17:59 PM »

Quote from: "TheMissingLink"
It gets better - you'll get hooked biggrin

Some of us didn't. Some of us hated it more and more the longer we played it.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2004, 11:30:19 PM »

I don't really get this. I recently grabbed Kingdom Hearts for five bucks and played up to and through ALice's world and so far it's rather boring. Does it get better? It seemed really lackluster up to that point.

I'd like to take this opportunity to say that there are lots of things in this world that I don't like that other people like. I know it's hard to believe, but it's true.

Seriously though, if you don't like something, post what you don't like about it, beyond "It's boring." That doesn't help any.  Then maybe we can actually help you decide whether you should continue playing or not.

All these "It's Good", "No it's not." posts are kinda pointless.
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2004, 11:45:06 PM »

Camera problems and the Gummi Ship thing were the main problems in Kingdom Hearts, but the story and gameplay (if you like Action RPG games) more than make up for the minuses.

I am so far in with this game I can't possibly see getting myself out slywink

If you want a review of the first one, here's mine.  The style is different from what CG reviews are today, back then we did a body with the scores at the bottom (had different section titles as well).  I still think this is a great game even today, but I know many do not like it.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2004, 11:59:31 PM »

Quote from: "Andrew Mallon"

I'd like to take this opportunity to say that there are lots of things in this world that I don't like that other people like. I know it's hard to believe, but it's true.

Seriously though, if you don't like something, post what you don't like about it, beyond "It's boring." That doesn't help any.  Then maybe we can actually help you decide whether you should continue playing or not.

All these "It's Good", "No it's not." posts are kinda pointless.

He asked a fairly simple question. Does the game get better? Someone will say yes, it gets better. Others will say no, it doesn't. Who are you to criticize his wording of the question?

And if any part of your post was in reference to my hatred for the game...

The gameplay was repetitive, the combat was tepid and annoying, the person responsible for the gummi ship garbage should be shot, and the story and characters were uninvolving and managed to be... yes, boring. They somehow pulled that off even with the involvement of the ever-classic Disney characters.

I felt no connection to any characters involved other than the basic nostalgia involved with the older ones from Disney.

It went from a cool concept idea to a very lame effort at combining two things that were at one time in the past, both very cool.

The game felt like one of the few I've ever played that managed to somehow be less than the sum of it's parts. Graphics and sound? Good. Story? Seems alright on the surface. Controls? Not any worse than most other games of it's type. Game as a whole? Lame.

Yes, I'm in the minority, and no I don't care.

Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2004, 01:04:36 AM »

I reread my post and it came off as more sarcastic than I attended. Long day + headache = cranky, crappy post. I do have a long manifesto on what type of posts contribute to a productive discussion of a game, but this isn't the place for that. And frankly, to directly address the point by calling out  another member was bad manners.

My apologies to BigRedCat.
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2004, 01:22:29 AM »

Perhaps sections of my post are in slightly bad taste as well. Apologies to you Andrew if they came off that way.

Actually upon another reading, specific sections are definitely bad taste.

*sigh*

Isn't the internet wonderful?

It's the only place where attempting to defend someone and their opinion can come off as an attack simply because you can't hear the tone of the speaking person's voice, you can only see their wording.

BigRedCat
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2004, 04:08:02 AM »

First off, Andrew, no apology needed. I didn't post more description because of my OWN long day and not really wanting to go into it. Basically Thin J just summed up my feelings on it so far. I definitely think I'll be getting 13.50 for KH on SYG.com and not trying to go any further.

Thanks for all the replies.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2004, 07:15:22 AM »

This forum is so civil, it's frightening slywink

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2004, 11:29:59 AM »

Wow.  How could you find the story to be boring?  The ending sequence was one of the coolest in any game I've ever played.  I found it all built up to a great climax.

Gameplay being repetitive...when people say this, it makes no sense to me.  Isn't *every* game repetitive to a certain degree?  I mean, for instance, in UT2k4 you get the same weapons over and over and kill other people...in every game, you do a lot of the same thing.

The thing that was refreshing for me was the Disney world.  I'm a big fan and I thought the characters were all very cool.

I have no clue as to how you found the story/characters to be boring.  Sora and Rikku's relationship was interesting...and I was intrigued by the story between Sora and Kairi.  I enjoyed fighting alongside Tarzan, Aladdin, Jack Skellington, etc.  And I really enjoyed summoning other Disney characters.  In fact, my favorite part of the game was the Hundred Acre Wood which had no fighting, but just a great location and fun characters to interact with.  As you progressed, you got some different attacks/combos which didn't make fighting super repetitive.

Why does everybody bring up the Gummi Ship when they talk about they hated Kingdom Hearts?  It is such a SMALL part of the game!  You use it to transport from world to world...however...if you've already travelled to a certain world, you can skip it entirely!  The fact is that it doesn't last long and if you don't like it, well shit, skip it.  Just transport.  

Personally, I got into it.  I built my own ship from all the parts I had and ended up enjoying that aspect.

KH haters also whine about the camera.  You can shift the camera however you like using the R2 and L2 buttons...after awhile, I had no troubles with it.  Plus, you got a lock-on button that focuses on the enemy you have locked on.  I had no real issue with it.

I don't mean to be snippy, but Kingdom Hearts is one of my favorite games of all-time and when I feel some hate is being said about it, I feel the need to defend it.  The satisfaction of the FANTASTIC ending I had when I beat KH won't be topped for awhile and instantly made me excited for KH2.

I can understand why people wouldn't like it, though.  I really can.  I'm a real big fan of the Disney world...that probably made me excited to keep on playing.  To tell you the truth, I had played this one till about the end of the Alice level and put it away...but once I tried it again, I got hooked.  

Just felt the need to defend KH, sorry for the long post biggrin

TheMissingLink on PSN
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2004, 02:43:25 PM »

You are certainly entitled to your opinion but I will always hate the game.

For me the camera made it impossible to enjoy.  You couldn't rotate it completely with the shoulder buttons - it wouldn't go pass solid objects very well.

And even that might have been ok if it had not almost worked against the player.  Best example, early in the game when you go to Tarzan's world.  As you are walking along the beams in the first building the camera perspective switches - without you touching anything! So you are pushing up to walk forward and suddenly pushing up makes you walk off the beam because you had to push left to keep walking forward! That is just stupid.  I didn't change the camera angle, I want to keep moving the same way but suddenly because the game decided to move the camera!  

I am happy you liked it but for me the game had so many aspects which seemed to actually work against the player that I couldn't stand it.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2004, 03:10:20 PM »

Count me in the "hated it" group as well, for the reasons already listed.  Horrible camera,  boring storyline (the ending may be good, but I was to bored to play through to it), grating music, dull characters, too repetitive, etc, etc.  It was also way too "kiddle" for my tastes.  The whole thing felt designed for an 8 year old, which it probably was.

I really wanted to like it (hell, I actually bought it twice to see if I could figure out why everyone thought it was so good), but it felt like a marketing piece instead of a game.  Oooh look, here's Donald!  And here's Aeris!  And look, you can talk to Jack Skellington!  And you get to be in Wonderland.  That's all well and good if the gameplay is compelling.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: