http://gamingtrend.com
August 20, 2014, 05:03:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: King's Bounty Crossworlds  (Read 603 times)
Greg Wak
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: February 04, 2011, 07:22:18 PM »

Nobody told me how awesome this is! It's been like crack since I started. Perfect timing for my snow days. I picked this up on steam in a Christmas deal for $5. So cool. building an army and going through the skill tree. Getting cool loot and having to fight demons to level up some of your weapons and artifacts. Really great design. Even little things like quick save going into three rotating saves so you can't paint yourself into a corner. Love the music too. Only complaint is I wish the camera pulled back a bit more. I may have to hunt down the mod for that. Games like this(for me) are how QT3 get's it's name. It just screams one more turn until it's way later than you think.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2011, 08:36:56 PM »

My only issue with this game is that it's waaaaay too long! They could have made it 1/3 the length or less, and it would have been a much better game for it. Steam says I've played the base game for 60 hours, and I'm still nowhere near the last continent. The combat is cool, but not 70+ hours cool (which doesn't count the expansions).
Greg Wak

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2011, 09:27:23 PM »

Hmmmm. I just got to Verona and I'm not bored yet. Does it take you way too long to level now? Are there no more skills you want to get? Have they stopped showing you fun new stronger men/creatures to add to your army? No more new loot you want to save up for? Or are you just tired of the games basic mechanics at this point.
Spoiler for Hiden:
I love the dice that adds something different before each battle. I may eventually have to use that slot for something stronger, but for now it's fun wondering what boon I'm going to get.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2011, 10:01:34 PM »

The reason it gets tiresome is that I've only got so much patience for fighting hundreds of battles with the same hero and basically the same army layout with minor changes, and I don't get much in the way of new skills/spells any more. It's also extremely annoying to have to travel all over the world every half dozen battles just to replenish my forces. I've probably fought well over a thousand battles with this same hero by now, and it's getting a little stale.

By keeping the game shorter they could have reduced the backtracking and repetition and instead let cool things happen every other battle or so instead of every 20-50 battles. Most battles are also routine after a while, with only the rare battle once in a while that causes any worthwhile damage to your own forces or requires you to choose different tactics.

I would have said something about keeping the story short and sweet, but the writing is so whimsical and hopelessly translated that it's of no concern anyway. The game's strengths lie elsewhere.
Greg Wak

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2011, 11:08:23 PM »

I was afraid that might be your reasons as they are all vallid. I also got Mafia 2 and Alpha protocol in the steam sale so if I get hopelessly bored I'm set. However, it seems I played DD2 about 3 times as long as everyone else here and I never got tired of clearing out the sky keeps so I may be okay. I do get a bit aanoyed trying to remember which troop is sold where and I imagine with more choices that gets tougher.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2011, 07:10:27 AM »

On the plus side, King's Bounty is the kind of game you can put away for a few months and then return to, which makes it fun all over again.
Dramatist
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2011, 06:47:09 PM »

I've been playing this lately too.  I played Armored Princess through once before and I'm now playing the new expanded campaign through.  This time I'm a mage, the last time a paladin.  I kinda got squeezed somewhere in the middle of Verona.  I came close to running out of money and stuff I could handle.  After struggling through that the world opens up pretty quickly.  The struggle might be just random bad luck on troops to recruit, but I seem to remember having the same thing happen the first time I played.

Very fun game that I'm enjoying even though there's newer stuff around.
Greg Wak

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2011, 07:39:49 PM »

I nearly got tapped out in Verona as well. Then I opened up the never ending bridge. Really saved my bacon. Lots of money to be had there and battles I can win.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: