http://gamingtrend.com
August 22, 2014, 08:07:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: Will you be buying the Kinect?
Yes - 15 (23.1%)
No - 48 (73.8%)
Insert nonesensical answer here that will be counted as a Yes vote. - 2 (3.1%)
Total Voters: 65

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kinect: Are you In or Out?  (Read 1519 times)
TiLT
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: August 11, 2010, 12:29:59 PM »

Here's the article, by the way: http://kotaku.com/5609840/kinect-dumbed-down-to-save-money-cant-read-sign-language?skyline=true&s=i
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 11, 2010, 02:35:35 PM »

damn, and I was really lookiong forward to being able to flip the bird at a game and know the camera recognized it.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 11, 2010, 05:51:12 PM »

Typical Kotaku  icon_rolleyes Motion capturing fingers with an optical system is something even high-end movie studios struggle with.  They're small, fast moving, and almost constantly occluding one another.  It was never going to be solved with a little camera in front of your TV.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: August 11, 2010, 05:59:19 PM »

Quote from: kathode on August 11, 2010, 05:51:12 PM

Typical Kotaku  icon_rolleyes Motion capturing fingers with an optical system is something even high-end movie studios struggle with.  They're small, fast moving, and almost constantly occluding one another.  It was never going to be solved with a little camera in front of your TV.

Are you referring to a different Kotaku article? This one just debunks the rumor that has been going around that the Kinect will support finger detection. The Kinect actually does support it, but it requires the better camera that was used with the prototype.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 11, 2010, 06:59:00 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on August 11, 2010, 05:59:19 PM

Quote from: kathode on August 11, 2010, 05:51:12 PM

Are you referring to a different Kotaku article? This one just debunks the rumor that has been going around that the Kinect will support finger detection. The Kinect actually does support it, but it requires the better camera that was used with the prototype.

I think the point might be that MS never actually said the Kinect would do this, fanboys just assumed that the prototype was the eventual final product.  Of course, Kotaku never said that MS said they'd do this either, so I'm not sure of the rolleyes.

Point is, Kinect is gonna BAAALOOOOOOOOWWWW.
JodoKast
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 11, 2010, 07:11:33 PM »

Totally in.  Granted it is more expensive than what I had hoped, but I have a 6 year old daughter that would just love some Kinectimals.  With that and the wife actually interested in the dancing game it will be a instant buy.  I just hope the 250gb version has a bundle on release day.

Gamertag : NJ Devilfish
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 11, 2010, 08:57:52 PM »

Debunks it by saying it's been "dumbed down" and no longer supports a feature it likely was never going to support anyway.  To me, they took two pieces of information - no sign language support, and an older prototype with a higher res camera - and constructed an article that leaves you with the impression that features have been removed.  Furthermore, the 320x240 resolution they quote only applies to the depth camera.  The optical camera is 640x480.  

Don't get me wrong - there are plenty of reasons to dislike Kinect if you want.  I just think the article is reaching a bit beyond just saying "no sign language, actually."
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: August 11, 2010, 09:03:09 PM »

Quote from: kathode on August 11, 2010, 08:57:52 PM

Debunks it by saying it's been "dumbed down" and no longer supports a feature it likely was never going to support anyway.  To me, they took two pieces of information - no sign language support, and an older prototype with a higher res camera - and constructed an article that leaves you with the impression that features have been removed.  Furthermore, the 320x240 resolution they quote only applies to the depth camera.  The optical camera is 640x480.  

Don't get me wrong - there are plenty of reasons to dislike Kinect if you want.  I just think the article is reaching a bit beyond just saying "no sign language, actually."

You seem to be forgetting that this is all based on a patent submitted by Microsoft, and that the MS spokesperson quoted in that article implied with his answer that later versions of Kinect may have this functionality if the first version is a success. The sign language thing was a rumor well before this article, as evidenced by previous posts in this very thread.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 11, 2010, 10:26:17 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on August 11, 2010, 09:03:09 PM

You seem to be forgetting that this is all based on a patent submitted by Microsoft, and that the MS spokesperson quoted in that article implied with his answer that later versions of Kinect may have this functionality if the first version is a success. The sign language thing was a rumor well before this article, as evidenced by previous posts in this very thread.

I don't know about "well before."  I'd only heard it about a week ago.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: August 12, 2010, 07:14:49 AM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on August 11, 2010, 10:26:17 PM

Quote from: TiLT on August 11, 2010, 09:03:09 PM

I don't know about "well before."  I'd only heard it about a week ago.

On the Internet, that's like last century! slywink
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 12, 2010, 01:39:01 PM »

No, because I haven't seen any must-have games or applications.  Right now, it's like the Wii remote without the Wii Sports game. 

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: