http://gamingtrend.com
April 17, 2014, 01:57:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Killzone should have gotten more attention  (Read 1713 times)
corruptrelic
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: December 13, 2005, 09:00:21 AM »

Been playing a lot of Killzone lately and am really starting to think this may be one of my favorite PS2 games.
You can find it for less than $20 new now since it's a greatest hit. Some circuit cities have them on clearance for $9.99 each.

From the squad-based singleplayer campaign, to the online portion and to the incredible AI of the bots, whether you're playing online or offline, this game has a lot to offer.
I've always been a fan of AI and the bots in Killzone (Bungie still doesn't recognize the demand for bots - especially for console games like Halo where less than 20% of it's audience even go online) are simply incredible. Putting them on "hard" they always work as a team. There are plenty of game modes - assault, team deathmatch, defend and destroy, and a few others, all of them playable online or offline. There are usually around 100-250 people online playing at any given time. Not a lot, but still not bad.

This post is really just a heads up to other ps2 owners out there that missed out on Killzone. Now that it's a greatest hit, if you like first person shooters (especially squad based ones) you should pick up this over looked gem. While not quite up to par with Halo 2 in terms of the singlepalyer campaign - at least it has bots.. something that ensures virtually unlimited replayablity in singleplayer mode. And the bots are almost human-like.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2005, 03:30:36 PM »

I was going to eventually make this same post, man, I think Killzone was really overlooked.  It's a damn fine game and for $20, it's a steal.

I actually like the single-player more than any other FPS I've played on a console.  The environments are fricken' BEAUTIFUL.  The game does a great job in putting you in the action; the way you pull out your weapons, reload, get onto stairs, it's a cool way of putting you right in the game, it feels more immersive.

And I don't care if those helgeist are the only enemies in the game, they're awesome.  Yeah, that same yell gets a little annoying, but the design on those guys is awesome.  The lights from their goggles leave little trails...

PLUS, you have the ability to play as 4 different soldiers; each being a different experience!  Multiplayer is pretty cool too, although I've gotta admit, I've logged on maybe 3 times total.

But seriously, I'll pop this in every once in awhile (about...50% done with the game) and be amazed at the graphics, enjoy my time with it, and dream about how good Killzone 3 is gonna be  biggrin

TheMissingLink on PSN
meeeeeeoooooow on XBL
3952-7039-1345 on 3DS
addybojangles on GameCenter
adamsappel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2005, 04:16:42 PM »

Great concept, poor hardware. I was in the online beta and enjoyed it. Framerate took a real hit, though.

Xbox Live Gamertag: adamsappel
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2005, 07:24:10 PM »

Simply put it was a game that was too advanced for the hardware.  Take the same game and release it on PS3 with HD graphics and it would probably sell.  On the PS2, however, it just is a bit too sluggish in terms of frame rate to and a bit too fuzzy in terms of graphics for most FPS fans.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2005, 07:32:57 PM »

I think Killzone's marketing worked against it as well.  It was touted as the 'Halo-killer' for the PS2, which gave everybody way too lofty expectations.  When it wasn't the end-all-be-all of console FPS games, people seemed to trash it.

I'm not a big fan of console FPS, but I might have to give it a shot.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2005, 08:03:31 PM »

I like that fuzzy/grainy feel in the game world.  It adds a real amount of personality to Killzone that I haven't experienced in any other FPS, to be honest.

But yeah, the framerate is a killer.  And I mena, I had no problems with it in SotC (even though it was obviously prevelent), but it hurts Killzone.

TheMissingLink on PSN
meeeeeeoooooow on XBL
3952-7039-1345 on 3DS
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2005, 08:36:20 PM »

I too enjoyed Killzone and feel its underrated.  I think Sarkus nailed it- it was just too ambitous for the hardware.  Still it was very fun, had a cool world design, and some of the most tactile weapon feel I've seen in a FPS.  I didn't regret paying full price for it and its definitely an excellent buy at $20 or less.
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2005, 08:49:19 PM »

The game does a great job in putting you in the action; the way you pull out your weapons, reload, get onto stairs, it's a cool way of putting you right in the game, it feels more immersive.

Well said. I haven't gotten very far in the campaign yet but it does feel like you're there in the middle of it all.

The playstation 2 is going on being 6 years old, but for the age of the system you have to give Guerilla credit for pulling off such an incredible game on such an old system.

Remember that PSM called Tribes Aerial Assault (TRIBES!) the "Halo-Killer" it was a fun game, but far from being another Halo.
Killzone on the other hand, at least in my opinion, is right up there with Halo. I'm hoping Halo 3 they'll finally have added bots but Bungie doesn't seem to agree with bots.. even though they know less than 20% of all xbox users even go online.

Singleplayer campaigns can be fun, but sooner or later you're going to beat them. Then what? On a console going online isn't always an option, so the only other alternative is a skirmish/instant action mode.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2005, 09:13:40 PM »

I agree with the sentiments above.  Too ambitious for the hardware, the game already eked out every last bit of performance from the system, so they didn't have anything left for the later features that a game like Halo has.

For the PS3, they had better live up to the marketing as a Halo killer.  The game seriously needed some form of aim assistance, Halo had 6 kinds of aim assistance depending on difficulty level.

The AI could use a lot of work, both for friendly and enemy AI.  If they manage to put in FEAR level of AI, then the game would be amazing.

The game is seriously crying out for a good MP mode too.

But the thing I most absolutely love was the first person animation.  Everything you did had a reaction on the camera, even reloading caused you to look down at your gun.  Although for some it could get disorienting, it really did draw me into the game.
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2005, 10:17:21 PM »

Why do I need to unload an entire magazine into a guy before he dies?

WHY!?

The controls feel a bit sluggish to me.  It was the first game I ever tried with my wireless Logitech and I thought "omg, wireless sucks!"  No, it was the same with the Dual Shock.  It could be that I'm just too used to mouselook, but I had just finished another FPS on the PS2, Cold Winter (which I enjoyed), so that isn't it.  Perhaps the whole framerate thing is indeed the problem I was having all along?

Good concept and vision, and a mostly fun game.  A few frustrating parts and the enemies can take some serious punishment, but for $20 I thought it was a great addition to the PS2 library.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2005, 10:29:18 PM »

Headshots make them go down easier biggrin

TheMissingLink on PSN
meeeeeeoooooow on XBL
3952-7039-1345 on 3DS
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2005, 12:46:13 AM »

Quote from: "TheMissingLink"
Headshots make them go down easier biggrin

I know a headshot when I see one.  UT2k4 classic sniper rifle FTW!

Perhaps that would be easier if I could aim properly.  Yes, I think I will blame a combination of sluggish controls and poor framerate rather than my own lack of skills.

Oh yes, the fact you can't jump or even step up stinks big time.  Uneven terrain is a deathtrap.  I don't need a double jump, or even a jump for that matter, but don't make me get stuck on a curb!

I am guessing this game would be pretty good online.  I don't know what the rest of the online PS2 FPS competition consists of beyond SOCOM.

Seriously, Cold Winter is fun.

edit: can't jump...

Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2005, 01:31:12 AM »

I thought Killzone got plenty of attention.

It was just mostly negative because they billed it as a Halo killer, which I think most people agree, it was not.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2006, 07:23:54 AM »

ARISE!!

Just played through a chapter of this one...ooooh man, still enjoying it.  Any FPS fan should grab it at $20.  And seriously, it's still my favorite console FPS.  IT IS, no lie!  

I'm on this outdoor level currently and to be honest, it's sort of ugly.  The indoor/limited outdoor-ish areas have been muuuuuch more impressive than this beach area.  And the Halo 2 steaming-sort-of-graphics are way more noticable on this level too.

The more I play this, the more excited I get about Killzone 2.  Whether it's just like that trailer or not - still excited.

TheMissingLink on PSN
meeeeeeoooooow on XBL
3952-7039-1345 on 3DS
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2006, 10:15:07 AM »

This makes me ponder... if the PS3 has backwards compatability out of the box, no doubt killzone will be one of the titles... If so, it might actually run better than on the PS2.

Eh, we'll see when the PS3 comes out.  Not to mention Killzone 2's cinematics look great, the how the gameplay remains to be seen.
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2006, 07:18:32 PM »

Fortunately Sony knows how to do backwards compatiblity the right way. They've announced backwards compatiblity for the ps3 a long time ago and again just recently confirmed it:

Hirai also confirmed complete backwards-compatibility with both the PlayStation and PlayStation 2.

Source: http://ps2.gamespy.com/articles/679/679071p1.html

I have no doubt the PS3 will be very similiar to the PS2 when it came to playing ps1 games, probably won't increase the graphics capabilities much (if at all) but should give us an increase in load times and should play 99% of all ps1/ps2 games right out of the box.

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2006, 08:21:58 PM »

Quote from: "Thin_J"
I thought Killzone got plenty of attention.

It was just mostly negative because they billed it as a Halo killer, which I think most people agree, it was not.

+1

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2006, 08:53:21 PM »

I disagree-I thought it was overrated even for its mediocre scores. The framerate was terrible, the controls were simply awful, the story was basic, the enemies uninteresting, and the game missed out on the phenomenal potential that its graphics engine and background world provided.
depward

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2006, 09:18:44 PM »

Quote from: "Calvin"
I disagree-I thought it was overrated even for its mediocre scores. The framerate was terrible, the controls were simply awful, the story was basic, the enemies uninteresting, and the game missed out on the phenomenal potential that its graphics engine and background world provided.

Can you remind us how much of the game you actually played?   Tongue

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2006, 09:35:03 PM »

Framerate really dips down, and if you hate that sort of thing, then I can understand that.  But after playing through Shadow of the Colossus (which was one of my most favorite games EVER) I can actually look past something that used to be a "game-killer" for me.

The control issues can be attributed to the framerate.  I'm usually pretty crappy at the game until I play for about half an hour then my aim is pretty decent.

The story, I think, is acceptable.  A twist just happened for me, and it was unexpected.  The interaction between the 4 main soldiers interests me as well.

The enemies are one of the best part of the game!!  What awesome enemy design...  

I think it does a pretty good job with the engine and the background.  I love that grainy filter.  I love the look of all the war-torn buildings.  The beach was pretty ugly, the this marsh-foresty area I'm going through now is pretty cool...granted, there has been a ton of "Turok" fog, but without it the game would probably run at 5 fps Tongue

A little shocked you didn't mention A.I. issues because I think that would be this game's biggest negative.  At times, my teammates work well together and provide cover for me...and at times the enemy actually reacts smartly.  It's pretty rare, though biggrin

TheMissingLink on PSN
meeeeeeoooooow on XBL
3952-7039-1345 on 3DS
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2006, 04:20:14 PM »

I think it was a medicore game too. From a tech strandpoint it clearly outstripped what the PS2 could do and it should have scaled back to make the game more playable. From a gamplay aspect I never saw anything great, just your standard stuff. Nothing that hadn't been done many times already.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2006, 05:57:28 PM »

That pretty much describes Project Snowblind as well.
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2006, 10:18:05 PM »

Why can't I find TimeSplitters: Future Perfect for cheap?  That game has been out forever and it's never seen a price drop.  I still see tons of copies everywhere but nobody is buying it for $50.

I've heard it was enjoyable but I simply won't pay top dollar for a game that came out 10 months ago!

As for Killzone.  Great idea, nice cutscenes, broken controls, and crap AI.  It was fun for awhile (see my post from a month ago) but I got tired of it quickly.  It's too bad since I felt it had tons of potential and I really wanted to like it.  It's just not very fun after the first couple levels.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2006, 04:32:02 AM »

Quote from: "depward"

Can you remind us how much of the game you actually played?   Tongue

I would guess I played around 20% of the game including my many tries to stay interested in it. Not a lot, but more than enough to feel comfortable with my above impressions.

Warning, I agree with you completely about Snowblind as well.
jimmyorr99

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2006, 04:02:08 PM »

Quote from: "stiffler"
Why can't I find TimeSplitters: Future Perfect for cheap?  That game has been out forever and it's never seen a price drop.  I still see tons of copies everywhere but nobody is buying it for $50.

I've heard it was enjoyable but I simply won't pay top dollar for a game that came out 10 months ago!

As for Killzone.  Great idea, nice cutscenes, broken controls, and crap AI.  It was fun for awhile (see my post from a month ago) but I got tired of it quickly.  It's too bad since I felt it had tons of potential and I really wanted to like it.  It's just not very fun after the first couple levels.
The possibilites were endless for the game really. It sounded like it had a great premise, but there's nothing I can't stand more than crappy AI. SHot themselves int he foot here.

if you strike me down, i will become more powerful than you can ever imagine.
adamsappel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2006, 10:16:55 PM »

I like Project Snowblind, or at least the multiplayer. The lobby is somewhat broken (why can't you talk to the other team?), but I thought it was a very good Live game. It's the online game PDZ should have been.

Xbox Live Gamertag: adamsappel
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: