http://gamingtrend.com
April 25, 2014, 01:28:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Killzone IGN Review  (Read 1703 times)
Calvin
Gaming Trend Senior Member

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« on: October 30, 2004, 06:17:57 PM »

http://ps2.ign.com/articles/561/561669p1.html

7.5 at IGN. Sounds like a very pretty, reasonably fun shooter with idiotic AI and a very linear plot.

Will rent this one fo sho, but no purchase here.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2004, 09:28:07 PM »

That's too bad.  frown

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2004, 10:27:48 PM »

I guess if you have no other consoles and a really old PC this could be a game worth getting, but with other shooters like Halo 2, HL2, GR 2 etc coming out this looks like a "Maybe I'll rent it out someday..." title.
Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2004, 12:52:46 AM »

Yup, a shame. Won't be touching this, what with the weekly onslaught of new games.

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2004, 02:04:11 AM »

I played the demo of this game and wasn't too high on it (the demo doesn't show you a whole lot honestly).  Couple this with Guerilla's last game (Shellshock: Nam '67, even though they gave it a half-assed effort after Sony came and purchased them for Killzone) and I'm not surprised this didn't turn out the way everyone was hoping it would.

Instead Sony (from a first-party publishing perspective) has Jak 3, Ratchet and Clank 3 and Sly Cooper 2 to rest its laurels on this holiday season (not such a bad way to rest on laurels I'd say).  They have Gran Turismo 4 coming up as well, although that will be a shell of what it could have been probably.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
jessie
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2004, 02:56:10 AM »

"Dont believe the hype" by Public Enemy seems pretty fitting right here.

http://www.grandtheftblogger.com

XBOX Live! Gamer Tag: jessthelaw
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2004, 03:25:16 AM »

I'm still interested but want to see some other reviews before I determine if I 'm going to wait until its a bargain bin purchase.  I never bought into the Halo-killer stuff but I'm always interested in a decent FPS.

I don't hold 'em accountable for "Shellshock"- that was a different team at Guerilla.

[EDIT] Just watched the IGN Video Review and ironically the visuals and music really made we want to play it despite all of the criticisms the reviewer was making in the background.
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2004, 04:18:41 AM »

Quote from: "jessie"
"Dont believe the hype" by Public Enemy seems pretty fitting right here.

Killzone has hype? I've never heard of it.
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2004, 05:32:05 AM »

Quote from: "Jeff Jones"
Killzone has hype? I've never heard of it.

Well, it arguably had hype in the pro-PS2/anti-Xbox camp.  It was coined as the "Halo killer" by many pro-PS2 magazines.  The still shots looked pretty darn good when the game was announced, but then it was shown off at E3 2004 and I think a lot of journalists left E3 with a lower expectation of the game after they had played it.  I didn't go this year, but the vibe I got from the CGers that did go and play it was that it was not all that.

I am going to guess we'll get a copy to review and if it was sent to me I'd give it as fair a shake as I can.

EDIT:  Oh yeah, the ironic thing is that many on the internet have been saying IGN is in Sony's pocket in regard to GTA: SA and other PS2-only titles.  I'd say the review for Killzone would effectively kill that idea, although many may feel it is the proverbial "sacrificial lamb".

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2004, 05:52:28 AM »

Quote from: "AgtFox"
EDIT:  Oh yeah, the ironic thing is that many on the internet have been saying IGN is in Sony's pocket in regard to GTA: SA and other PS2-only titles.  I'd say the review for Killzone would effectively kill that idea, although many may feel it is the proverbial "sacrificial lamb".

The only problem I have with that statement is that I felt that the reviewer was apologizing for the score the entire review.  It felt like he was saying, "I really don't WANT Sony to hate me, but here are some of the problems."  It almost felt he was just waiting for the Zeus of Sony to smite him with a lightning bolt and turn him into ash.  Some companies are using reviews to determine how much a company gets paid for a game, so it will be interesting to see other reviews.

Honestly, I didn't have high hopes for this game, especially after the embarassment Shellshock was.  I really didn't know what some people thought was so special about this game.  Oh well.

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2004, 06:55:42 AM »

I think the tone in the review was closer to damage control for the fanboys- IGN knows they are going to get a mailbox full of "KILLZONE is BEST FPS EVAR!!! YOU SUCK!!!" so it seems like the reviewer was trying to hedge his bets by saying there are some significant flaws but its still worth buying.
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2004, 07:03:12 AM »

I thought this thread was about Kill.Switch.

Well, the screenshots look impressive.  I'd probably play it if it were on the PC, but likely not on the PS2.  If I do it won't be at a premium price.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2004, 01:13:10 PM »

How sad.  I was remotely contemplating picking up one of those cute little PS2's mainly for this game, AceCombat 5, and Grand Turismo 4.  Now, after seeing that this game is most likely crap, I may rethink the purchase.  I need at least 3-5 killer diller games on a system to get me to jump, and those are the only ones that jumped out to me.  Now, one of them is off my list except in a bargain basement situation.  So sad.  

Probably for the best since I did the same with the Game Cube and eventually sold it after there being zilch on it worth playing after my initial 3-4 game interest.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2004, 02:54:54 PM »

LOL @ supposed "Halo Killer".

I also played the demo and wasn't impressed at all.

Go Gunners...
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2004, 05:47:53 PM »

Rental time baby!! Anybody have any word on the length of the game?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: