http://gamingtrend.com
October 23, 2014, 01:55:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Killzone 3  (Read 5631 times)
ras752000
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: February 22, 2011, 10:07:16 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on February 22, 2011, 09:04:20 PM

Amazon had already emailed me my code for 3 unlock points and the retro map-pack this morning.  Can't wait to check out the SP campaign (and maybe even some MP) when UPS delivers later!!
Mine is waiting at front door for me.  I got the amazon unlocks + 3 from the ps home kz game + 3 from the strat guide.  Anybody up for mp feel free to add me: ras752000.

PSN=ras752000
Steam=ras752000gt
Teggy
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: February 22, 2011, 11:58:46 PM »

Nothing kills the high of getting a new game in the mail like a slow as molasses Sony system update.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: February 23, 2011, 04:10:05 AM »

Quote from: Teggy on February 22, 2011, 11:58:46 PM

Nothing kills the high of getting a new game in the mail like a slow as molasses Sony system update.

Usually I agree with you, but my update completed extremely fast.

Killzone 3 has been everything I've wanted so far.  A ridiculously detailed world.  Excellent visuals and audio.  The controls are all fine tuned to perfection.  Love it!
Kurt Stevens
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: February 23, 2011, 04:18:28 AM »

Quote from: leo8877 on February 23, 2011, 04:10:05 AM

Quote from: Teggy on February 22, 2011, 11:58:46 PM

Usually I agree with you, but my update completed extremely fast.

Killzone 3 has been everything I've wanted so far.  A ridiculously detailed world.  Excellent visuals and audio.  The controls are all fine tuned to perfection.  Love it!

Agree on all points.  Usually, my updates are painfully slow.  As far as the game goes, I think it is a huge improvement over Killzone 2.  The controls are vastly superior.  It's kept me from Bulletstorm for most of the night.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: February 23, 2011, 04:25:48 AM »

I hadn't used my system in while, so I may have had a bigger update. I also had a game update on top of that. Thankfully there was no game install or I might have given up. Unfortunately, I've got a dog houseguest that wasn't letting me play, so I only got through the tutorial and a little bit of the first mission. I don't remember the Helghast being quite the bullet sponges. Probably played too much CoD.

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: February 23, 2011, 05:11:00 AM »

Quote from: Teggy on February 23, 2011, 04:25:48 AM

I hadn't used my system in while, so I may have had a bigger update. I also had a game update on top of that. Thankfully there was no game install or I might have given up. Unfortunately, I've got a dog houseguest that wasn't letting me play, so I only got through the tutorial and a little bit of the first mission. I don't remember the Helghast being quite the bullet sponges. Probably played too much CoD.

Ah yeah, that 3 months without turning on your PS3 is what did it.  System update.  Having just finished KZ2, I can attest that the Helghast are bullet sponge extraordinaires.

As for KZ3, I am in total awe of the set pieces they have put together so far.  It's a shame the smaller (is it still?) install base of Sony's console translates into smaller numbers for their first party titles.  These games are far and away the best that you can buy this generation. 
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #126 on: February 23, 2011, 08:54:54 AM »

Quote from: leo8877 on February 23, 2011, 05:11:00 AM

It's a shame the smaller (is it still?) install base of Sony's console...

Only in America. In Europe, Sony kicks Microsoft's butt in console sales.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: February 23, 2011, 01:16:41 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on February 23, 2011, 05:11:00 AM

Ah yeah, that 3 months without turning on your PS3 is what did it.

Have you been keeping track of when I play my PS3? [looks under chair]

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #128 on: February 23, 2011, 02:37:59 PM »

Pretty far into the game. I've enjoyed it immensely. There's a lot of nice little changes, like the aforementioned speeding up of the controls.  Another change I was really thankful for is that teammates will revive you now and are actually really useful (assuming their AI doesn't spaz out).

Even with that change, however, I find it only helps abate the annoying tendency for the game to kill you almost at random. In almost every major encounter I've died at least once, often more, from enemies shooting at me from the other side of cover. I'm clearly in cover since my gun is resting on it, they're not any higher than I am, and yet they can still shoot me even though I'm not peeking out.

What's more, as mentioned already, some enemies really can be bullet sponges. And while they do have a lot of armor and gear on, it still can get a bit silly. So add the often broken cover system along with the bullet sponge AI, and some encounters can get annoying really fast. But, thankfully that whole teammate revival thing helps keep it from getting too annoying. And I can think of only 2 spots where the checkpointing was bad.

Oh, and the addition of the heavy weapons slot is just perfect, and the ability to refill heavy weapons with ammo just makes using such weapons plain fun. You feel encouraged to use up your heavy weapon ammo in a fight, then finish up with your basic weapons, and eventually you'll find an ammo crate to refill.

The shotgun pistol is awesome too.

Also, the story so far, I think I finally see why so many reviewers have complained about Killzone 2 and 3's story. It's not that the story is that bad, it's just that it's missing so much potential. The Killzone 1 story was great, which is sad because the KZ2 and 3 story was only mediocre to nonexistent in terms of character development, arcs, and generally humanizing the war. You've got this great story with awesome set pieces, the characters and nations are somewhat believable, but they never take it a step forward and really take note of it.

For example, in KZ1 by the end, Rico had come to understand and respect the Helghan people through Hakha. Now? He's just a meat head. You've got ISA fighting a geurrilla against what is clearly an evil regime through major population centers, but they never take the great opportunity to present non-Helghast Helghans who don't support the war, maybe even some that actively help the ISA. Heck, they went to the trouble of writing an interesting backstory spanning back centuries about what happened to the Helghast that made them all angry, and in KZ1 with Hakha you clearly get a Helghan who has Helghan ideals, but does not support this evil regime. Yet, so far the opportunity has been wasted.

Jammer, for example, is a wasted character put in so there could be a pretty face. She just shows up to replace Evelyn Batton as the tech expert. They could have made her a Helghan defector who could present the more reasonable side of the Helghan people.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 02:40:56 PM by Turtle » Logged
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: February 23, 2011, 04:05:41 PM »

So I played a bit of the MP last night, actually an hour and a half and the maps are all gorgeous and it's nice how pretty much every map has multiple points of attack, so you don't have to get stuck in a cannon fodder zone.  Warzone is nice for the change in pace with the rotating game modes, but the overall matches can be pretty long and I think (correct me if I'm wrong) you don't get points for the match unless you stay to the end of it?
ras752000
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: February 23, 2011, 05:07:38 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on February 23, 2011, 04:05:41 PM

So I played a bit of the MP last night, actually an hour and a half and the maps are all gorgeous and it's nice how pretty much every map has multiple points of attack, so you don't have to get stuck in a cannon fodder zone.  Warzone is nice for the change in pace with the rotating game modes, but the overall matches can be pretty long and I think (correct me if I'm wrong) you don't get points for the match unless you stay to the end of it?
Not entirely sure but I know you receive a match multiplier bonus if you stay to the end, so that would lead me to think you still get your points but not the bonus.

PSN=ras752000
Steam=ras752000gt
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: February 23, 2011, 06:13:13 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on February 23, 2011, 02:37:59 PM

For example, in KZ1 by the end, Rico had come to understand and respect the Helghan people through Hakha. Now? He's just a meat head.

I couldn't have been happier when someone tells Rico to shut the f up at the beginning.  That guy (Rico) needs to be shot.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #132 on: February 23, 2011, 07:53:46 PM »

I'm really enjoying this game, playing it using Move. It's a lot better than Killzone 2 for sure.

However, the game can be pretty fucking unfair! Right now I'm completely stuck in a section where you're using the jetpack from the preview videos. You use it to jump from platform to platform, and once you land on a specific one, two flyer enemies spawn right around the corner and come flying at you. They kill you in less than 5 seconds, and there's no way to hide and no cover you can use. I've unloaded a continuous stream of gunfire at them and haven't been able to kill even one. I'm honestly completely stumped and have no idea how to proceed, having died 10 times to these two enemies alone with no progress made between attempts. It's infuriating!
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: February 23, 2011, 07:55:10 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on February 23, 2011, 07:53:46 PM

I'm really enjoying this game, playing it using Move. It's a lot better than Killzone 2 for sure.

I'm playing on Veteran right now using the DS3, but I plan on using the Move to replay on an easier difficulty after I beat the game.

**Which reminds me, can you adjust the difficulty at any time?
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #134 on: February 23, 2011, 08:05:14 PM »

Aaand I just figured out what I was doing wrong, but I had to use Youtube for it. Apparently I was supposed to attach an explosive just before reaching that corner. The game was putting me in an unwinnable situation in a sort of passive-aggressive way of telling me that I was doing things in the wrong order. If you don't use the objective marker (which you barely need before this point in the campaign), you'll probably end up doing the same thing as me and just sit there scratching your head in confusion. This was a really, really bad design decision.
shon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #135 on: February 24, 2011, 04:48:04 AM »

- Finished Killzone 2 despite not liking the controls and wasn't sure I was going to get Killzone 3 even after the demo but I did get it today.
- And glad I did.  My control issues are fixed but getting used to the PS3 thumbstick vs Xbox is quite a bit different.
- Graphics are great and only noticed a slight slowdown during a cutscene.  There is always something flying around in the air and it really looks like
  a real destroyed city.
- Wish it didn't fade to black after and before a cut scene.
- Going to try Multi a little later tonight and see how that goes.

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #136 on: February 24, 2011, 10:03:38 PM »

Just finished this on regular difficulty using Move. It was great fun from beginning to end, with fantastic set pieces. I never had the time to get bored of one environment before I'd get tossed into something completely different, and the standard shooting was often broken up by on-rail segments which were short and fun. This is definitely a superior game to Killzone 2, which ended up being infuriatingly frustrating by the end. Killzone 3 walks into no such trap. The storytelling is also very good, with excellent acting and satisfying conclusions.

Using Move was very entertaining and felt natural after about 30 awkward early minutes. The problem was that it seems KZ3's Move implementation is slightly buggy. After every cutscene the camera would have problems detecting my controller, and it seemed to stutter at the same time. This also happened occasionally in the middle of missions. Pressing Start to pause the game for a while and finally holding the controller somewhere the camera couldn't see it so that it reset the pointer worked, though it was very annoying having to do this every 5-10 minutes for the entire game. I haven't had any similar problems with Move in other titles, so this seems specific to Killzone 3. I'm wondering if anyone else here had the same problem?
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: February 24, 2011, 10:10:43 PM »

Hope to start playing with the Move/Giant Gun combo tonight. I'll let you know.

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: February 24, 2011, 10:14:39 PM »

I haven't tried the Move implementation, but everything I've read about it says it's excellent and they have not mentioned that issue, afaik.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: February 24, 2011, 11:46:48 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on February 24, 2011, 10:03:38 PM

I haven't had any similar problems with Move in other titles, so this seems specific to Killzone 3. I'm wondering if anyone else here had the same problem?

That's exactly what happened to me in Dead Space Extraction.  I haven't tried Killzone 3 and move yet but I hope to get to it this weekend.

skystride

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: February 25, 2011, 01:17:41 AM »

Just finished it and my impressions have gone much further south.  The last few levels are... yuck.  It felt like I was just going through the motions.  Same enemies as when the game started even on the last level.  The on-rails Rebel Assault missions are really boring.  Big shit happens but I feel zero emotional impact because the characters are so boring.

Hopefully I can get some value out of the MP but SP is just a major disappointment.  Too bad, it started with some promise.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: February 25, 2011, 03:59:00 AM »

Played with the Move/Gun tonight and it was pretty damn cool. I'm far from competent in FPS games but had fun with this setup. Had to make some adjustments (shut off the "turnaround") but there was no issues at all and makes it a whole new game.

Tomorrow I'll throw 3D into the mix and see how that goes!

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #142 on: February 25, 2011, 05:28:11 AM »

with any luck i will be able to try this out over the weekend.  damnable snow put a dent in the deliveries this week so it might not happen.  i enjoyed 2 for what it did different but other than an annoying end boss, i can't describe anything about the campaign that i remember standing out from the crowd. 

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #143 on: February 25, 2011, 09:05:46 AM »

Quote from: skystride on February 25, 2011, 01:17:41 AM

Just finished it and my impressions have gone much further south.  The last few levels are... yuck.  It felt like I was just going through the motions.  Same enemies as when the game started even on the last level. 

That's simply not true. Yes, there are a few grunts like the ones you meet early on, but they are the exception rather than the rule. Instead you meet many enemies that you either haven't met or have met as minibosses before. The final levels require a much larger degree of firepower to get through than the early ones, but isn't necessarily much harder (which I consider a good thing. Artificial difficulty increases as a game progresses is one of my biggest pet peeves in gaming and a habit I hope eventually all developers shake off). There are also environmental issues you have to deal with at the same time, keeping things fresh.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: February 26, 2011, 07:16:24 PM »

Just finished the SP and sadly, it was a big disappointment for me. First of all, I played on trooper and at times it felt like I was playing CoD on veteran. I died tons of times, 30-40 times in some levels. I played a good chunk of Killzone 2 on elite after finishing it on normal and I never would have tried if the difficulty felt this way. I would try to use cover, but lower cover was rarely safe - I'd still get hit unless the angle was perfect.

The game felt a lot like Black Ops SP felt to me - small segments broken up by cutscenes and lots of places where you were required to take the path the developers wanted you to take or even use the weapon the developers expected you to use. There were places in the game where it would occasionally free you up to fight, but then it definitely clamped down again towards the end.

I much preferred Killzone 2's big assault and defense battles and the city traversal segments. I really disliked K3's jungle level, which was such an obvious CoD4 ripoff it was just sad. The jetpack bits were pretty fun.

I'm sure I'll like the MP, though, and will have to spend some time on it. Unfortunately the one time I tried getting in today the game froze.

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #145 on: February 27, 2011, 11:49:06 PM »

Just finished this as well and while it felt a little too routine towards the end with the vehicle segments, I enjoyed it. The lack of a real boss fight against the big bad guys is a let down though. I liked the battle with the giant mech though.

The stealth level was a bit odd though as you get to a certain point and then can't be stealthy any more. The jet pack was interesting but under used. The late game weapons were fun. I loved the bfg and the missile/mortar launcher and of course the design to let you carry it around with a regular assault rifle.

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #146 on: February 27, 2011, 11:52:35 PM »

I just played through the majority of the campaign in split-screen co-op with a friend. It was great fun and worked very well. The second player gets to play as one of the characters from Killzone 2 who never appears in KZ3's singleplayer mode, though he still doesn't appear in the cutscenes.

The stealth section was particularly satisfying this way, much to my surprise. Carefully coordinating so that we both shot different enemies at the same time so as to not alert them was very rewarding.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 11:54:21 PM by TiLT » Logged
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: March 01, 2011, 05:20:02 PM »

Just finished the game as well.  Overall I enjoyed the game, but I agree with the earlier points about it copying some levels from other games pretty clearly.  Audio and Visuals were outstanding.  I was hoping they would do more with the story than they ended up doing.  Maybe it's just me, but I can't stand Rico.  What a douche that guy is.  The Mech battle was amazing and what I was expecting when I first saw them in Resistance 2.  Hopefully these guys are all sharing info as first party Sony devs.  

Edit:  Oh, I played on Veteran and it was pretty brutal at times.  If you are going to offer cover, then it should at least cover you from gun fire. And the Helghast definitely took too many bullets to kill.  Even more so than I remember in KZ2.  I'm planning on playing with the Move on Normal to see how it is.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #148 on: March 01, 2011, 05:42:47 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on March 01, 2011, 05:20:02 PM

Maybe it's just me, but I can't stand Rico.  

I thought he was one of the worst written video game characters ever in Killzone 2, but in Killzone 3 he's almost believable and never really rubbed me the wrong way. Maybe it's just because he gets so much flak for his actions in the previous game this time around.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: March 01, 2011, 05:59:06 PM »

Yeah Rico didn't bother me, and the characters in the game certainly take him to task for his actions/attitude.

This is a lot of the game, however:

"We want to do this!"
"No, follow orders!

"We should follow orders!"
"No, let's do this!"

"Don't follow their orders!"
"I'm following my orders!"

"Give us an order!"
"I don't know what to order you to do, tell me what the order should be!"

etc.

pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: March 01, 2011, 06:02:01 PM »

Anyone having any issues with the game not triggering a checkpoint/cutscene like it should?

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #151 on: March 01, 2011, 06:15:36 PM »

Quote from: pr0ner on March 01, 2011, 06:02:01 PM

Anyone having any issues with the game not triggering a checkpoint/cutscene like it should?

Only once during co-op play when both players were blocking an important NPC from reaching a trigger point. Moving out of the way solved that.
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: March 01, 2011, 06:20:32 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on March 01, 2011, 06:15:36 PM

Quote from: pr0ner on March 01, 2011, 06:02:01 PM

Only once during co-op play when both players were blocking an important NPC from reaching a trigger point. Moving out of the way solved that.

Hm, ok.  I had an issue after the first half of the stealth mission.  It refused to advance to the cutscene to start the second half of that level without me restarting at the prior checkpoint. Thankfully that was a short checkpoint or I might have been more annoyed.

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: March 28, 2011, 08:58:15 PM »

Live action short set in the KZ 'verse.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Louis Cypher

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: April 01, 2011, 03:24:41 AM »

Question for those that finished the game
Spoiler for Hiden:
Visari or Stahl at the end?

Live Gamer Tag: Kitten0Death
PSN: CabriX
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #155 on: April 01, 2011, 03:37:35 AM »

Quote from: Louis Cypher on April 01, 2011, 03:24:41 AM

Spoiler for Hiden:

hell, i played this one and still don't remember who won.  or maybe everyone lost.  other than a bunch of guys with english accents fighting amongst themselves, it's a blur.  a bay-sian blur of explosion porn, to be precise.

Louis Cypher

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: April 01, 2011, 03:51:19 AM »

Quote from: Caine on April 01, 2011, 03:37:35 AM

Spoiler for Hiden:

hell, i played this one and still don't remember who won.  or maybe everyone lost.  other than a bunch of guys with english accents fighting amongst themselves, it's a blur.  a bay-sian blur of explosion porn, to be precise.
Spoiler for Hiden:
I was talking about who the mysterious figure was coming out of the ship, after the credits.

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: April 01, 2011, 04:49:23 AM »

Quote from: Louis Cypher on April 01, 2011, 03:51:19 AM

Quote from: Caine on April 01, 2011, 03:37:35 AM

Spoiler for Hiden:

Spoiler for Hiden:
I was talking about who the mysterious figure was coming out of the ship, after the credits.
Spoiler for Hiden:
Definitely Stahl.  Visari was killed at the end of KZ2.
Louis Cypher

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: April 01, 2011, 01:39:32 PM »

Spoiler for Hiden:
I thought so but a few things in the beginning lead me to believe it's Visari. I think Visari had a double or clone. When his daughter gives him her hand she looks at him and pulls away real fast. Like she knew it wasn't her father. And why does Radec shoot the soldier after the "cargo" ship takes off?

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: April 01, 2011, 01:55:13 PM »

Spoiler for Hiden:
They implied it was Stahl, but if he survived that I really lost a lot of respect for the writers. There was literally 1 second left on the countdown and he hadn't gotten into an escape pod yet, much less launched it. I also didn't get what the cloud of yellow stuff was. I thought they had basically just wiped out the entire planet because it spilled over everywhere, but apparently not.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: