http://gamingtrend.com
July 25, 2014, 11:21:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Killzone 2: yay or nay?  (Read 801 times)
Dante Rising
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: November 15, 2009, 01:50:41 AM »

Killzone 2 has been dropping in price finally, and I'm considering a purchase. However, I remember in the demo I was very unhappy with the sluggishness of panning left or right. Aiming felt lethargic. Was this ever addressed in a patch? I recall many complaints about it, as well as the camera level of the player. (People saying they felt like a midget...er, little person.)

So, for single player, yay or nay?
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2009, 02:26:47 AM »

I'm interested in picking this up too. To add to the original thread, does it stand out from crowd or would my time be better served elsewhere?

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2009, 03:11:53 AM »

It's a good game, not great and didn't live up to the hype, but still a very good shooter.

They did some tweaking to the controls and added a "precision mode" to the aiming that's on by default now.  It doesn't fix the weight, but it does make it easier to make small corrections as you aim.

I really had no problems with the player height, it was a bit low, yes, but once you get in the action you didn't notice it.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2009, 03:57:53 AM »

The height thing is ridiculous (as in "Why the hell did they let that happen?").  Any time you notice it, it's extrememly distracting, but Turtle's right, it falls by the wayside as you play.

And his assessment is right on.  It's very good, but not great.  The production values are there, and there's certainly nothing wrong with it, per se, but there's nothing that launches it into the stratosphere.

At a lower price, though, I imagine it won't be disappointing.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2009, 04:51:31 AM »

Single player - slightly above average, multiplayer - awesome.   There are similar, better games out there now *cough*MW2*cough*, but if you can find it cheap it's worth spending a few hours on.

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2009, 05:09:49 AM »

Worth it for the eye candy, alone. I loved the single-player (it's not just pretty, it's enjoyable) and played enough of the matchmaking-less (BOO!) multiplayer to have my fill.

It doesn't re-invent the wheel...but it does slap some hawt look textures on it...

TheMissingLink on PSN
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2009, 05:58:59 AM »

Good, not great.  They did fix the controls with a patch.  Some of the visuals are unrivaled in an FPS.  They really created a great living, breathing world to play in.
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2009, 06:35:47 AM »

i finally got around to playing Killzone2 for the first time a couple few months ago and thought it was a great game...very solid shooter with some of the most intense battles and realistic graphics i've every played.  there are moments in the game where the visuals are just breathtaking in their attention to detail and creativity.  you'll be hard-pressed to find another shooter with visuals that hold a candle to the world they've created for Killzone.  it's not perfect, mostly due to a lack of variety in many aspects of the game, but i think it's well worth playing.

as for the controls, they released a patch shortly after the game was released that made it feel more responsive.  i really never noticed anything problematic when i was playing.  it does have a different feel than the average shooter, but it works very well once you adapt to the playing style they intended.  the cover system, pacing, and scale of the action require a different approach than many other games, but it makes for a great bit of fun.  i never got into the multiplayer, but i thought the game was worth my $60 just for the impressiver SP experience.  if you pick it up, i don't think you'll be disappointed.

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
MrDuck
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2009, 01:23:04 PM »

As the thread title asks:

Yay!

smile

Xbox360 Live! Gamertag: Wuigi69
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2009, 05:25:16 PM »

Definitely play it. If anything, it's a different experience than a lot of the other space marine shooters out there. It's got a cover mechanic, for one. The last boss is a bit of a pain, but that seems to be a trend these days. Multiplayer is a lot of fun, but expect to play with randoms.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2009, 05:51:06 PM »

Yay.

As some others have said in this thread, the production values in this game are incredible.

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2009, 02:25:24 AM »

Nice, I'll probably play through it for the sights and sounds then.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2009, 03:00:32 AM »

Quote from: Ridah on November 17, 2009, 02:25:24 AM

Nice, I'll probably play through it for the sights and sounds then.

Best approach. Enjoy the pretty, but try not to pay too much attention to dialogue. Large portions of it are terrible.

And definitely download the game updates before you play. The revised controls are much better, though still not in the league of a game like Call of Duty. Not nearly as smooth and easy to use. Just vastly superior to the default ones with the original version of the game.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
El-Producto

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2010, 07:19:48 PM »

Not that I need anything else to add to my backlog, my local Staples has this for $30 cheaper.  Buy or wait until it's greatest hit or something?

"Goonies never say die"
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2010, 07:20:37 PM »

Quote from: El-Producto on January 08, 2010, 07:19:48 PM

Not that I need anything else to add to my backlog, my local Staples has this for $30 cheaper.  Buy or wait until it's greatest hit or something?

I think GH is 29.99 now so you're set.
Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2010, 08:10:46 PM »

Did KZ2 hit the Greatest Hits yet? I want to pick it up but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Playing: ? 360 | ? | BF4 PC / XB1 | ? - WINGS *are* shit lately.
PSN/Live: MrStark77
El-Producto

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2010, 08:12:31 PM »

I think you misunderstood.. it's $30 off, which is $40 here in Canada.  It hasn't hit GH as far as I know.

"Goonies never say die"
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2010, 08:23:21 PM »

Quote from: El-Producto on January 08, 2010, 08:12:31 PM

I think you misunderstood.. it's $30 off, which is $40 here in Canada.  It hasn't hit GH as far as I know.

Ah my bad, sorry.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: