http://gamingtrend.com
August 02, 2014, 12:29:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Killzone 2 - Single Player embargo lifted, new SP impressions and video  (Read 12612 times)
mikeg
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: February 25, 2009, 10:50:42 PM »

that after battle playback is pretty friggin sweet.  Now that I love.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 25, 2009, 11:03:45 PM »

Quote from: mikeg on February 25, 2009, 10:50:42 PM

Yes, wow, that is amazing.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 25, 2009, 11:06:48 PM »

Quote from: depward on February 25, 2009, 10:44:19 PM

Stat tracking looks pretty comprehensive:

http://killzone.com/kz/mykillzone.psml?kz_user_id=depward

drool drool drool drool

I don't think it's too early to say that this is my GOTY.   slywink
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 26, 2009, 05:13:11 AM »

Well, I finished Killzone 1.  I bought the game once upon a time last year, played the first couple of levels and figured I'd never get back to it.  Yet I did, and I'm kinda proud of it.

What a pain in the ass game, too.  Once I got into the flow, it didn't seem too bad, but then I'd die for some ridiculous reason, with no chance to make it to cover, wait for the camera to circle around my limp body a few times, reload, and I'd be back at the beginning of the level.  Aaaargh!  The worst part is, some levels had checkpoints all over the place, while others only had one, but there would be three or four major firefights in between.  That uneven quality really sums up the game to me.  There'd be parts that worked great, then others that just seemed so sloppy.

Anyway, the cutscenes were pretty cool.  I kept thinking of the lead guy as Rico because he seemed so Suave, but he was really Templar.  What a sleezy doofus, though. 

I'm ready for KZ2 now, so bring it on!

Too bad my wife will be home on Friday or I might get a chance to play.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
depward

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 26, 2009, 08:04:12 PM »

This is what a clan page looks like:

http://killzone.com/kz/clan.psml?kz_clan_id=3231

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 27, 2009, 12:21:36 AM »

Quote from: Teggy on February 25, 2009, 11:03:45 PM

Quote from: mikeg on February 25, 2009, 10:50:42 PM

Yes, wow, that is amazing.
While I think I'll buy the game because of that, I don't know what the use of it is.

PSN ID: EduardoX
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 27, 2009, 02:32:25 AM »

Quote from: depward on February 26, 2009, 08:04:12 PM

This is what a clan page looks like:

http://killzone.com/kz/clan.psml?kz_clan_id=3231

Looks like someone has to get to Sergeant so we can create a clan.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 27, 2009, 06:21:57 AM »

I just played the demo. It's really short, but pretty good. I really wish it had been multiplayer, but oh well.

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: February 27, 2009, 07:25:47 AM »

I think I'm nearly halfway through the singleplayer campaign by now. It's a solid shooter with unusual but satisfying controls. It takes a little while getting used to, but once you do, you'll be popping off heads with no problems. The difference from most shooters is that it feels like you have actual weight when you move around the world, including when you attempt to turn to deal with enemies to your sides.

There's not much enemy variety. I think I've met 4 different kinds of enemies so far, though the soldiers do use different weapons occasionally. Just like yourself, the enemies feel solid. The way ragdolls have been implemented is very cool as well. Shoot someone in the foot and he'll stumble and perhaps fall through ragdoll physics, and then he'll attempt to get up again. They will toss themselves behind low cover, sitting with their backs to the wall, and fire blindly above their heads. Unlike most games, your enemies won't fly backwards when you kill them. Instead they'll crumple realistically. Sometimes you'll find yourself firing at already dead enemies because their momentum is still carrying them forward after their deaths.
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 27, 2009, 05:05:17 PM »

Is anybody experiencing weird controller lag in the demo?  There's a good half a second between the time I press the right stick and the player actually moves, even with sensitivity turned all the way up.

The demo showed promise, but the sloppy feeling of aiming really gives me pause...

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 27, 2009, 05:38:58 PM »

Quote from: Dimmona on February 27, 2009, 05:05:17 PM

Is anybody experiencing weird controller lag in the demo?  There's a good half a second between the time I press the right stick and the player actually moves, even with sensitivity turned all the way up.

The demo showed promise, but the sloppy feeling of aiming really gives me pause...
I may have, but I chalked that up to weapon inertia. Armed Assault had this as well, and it was way too overdone. Luckily, there was a slider to tone it down.
In this game, it felt fine to me.

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: February 27, 2009, 07:45:01 PM »

Quote from: Dimmona on February 27, 2009, 05:05:17 PM

It's not lag. It just takes more than a small nudge to turn around in this game, as you've got far more weight than you're used to from shooters. Move the stick further from the center position.
BrianE
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 27, 2009, 10:27:40 PM »

Picked this up today, so if anyone's looking for someone to shoot at, my PSN Tag is BRIANEND  slywink

If all the world's a stage...then I want better lighting.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 28, 2009, 04:46:32 AM »

I enjoy the tilt controls in the menus.

I do not enjoy the tilt controls in the game.

ATB

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 28, 2009, 05:07:07 AM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on February 28, 2009, 04:46:32 AM

How much tilt control is there?

Is it optional?

For what functions is it implemented?
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 28, 2009, 05:23:46 AM »

In about 45 minutes, I had to tilt once. It sucked, but it lasted 10 seconds or so.

Flower is just about the only game with good tilt stuff.

The MP is pretty slow, like a good version of the GoW MP, or a slow COD. I really like it, but the SP is a little cookie cutter for me at the moment. I'll keep playing for sure.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 28, 2009, 06:16:59 AM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on February 28, 2009, 05:07:07 AM

Quote from: Bullwinkle on February 28, 2009, 04:46:32 AM

How much tilt control is there?

Is it optional?

For what functions is it implemented?

There's not a lot to it.  I've played two levels and have had to do it three times (it isn't optional).  Twice it's been turning a wheel to open something (hold R1&L1, tilt, let go of R1&L1, tilt back, hold R1&L1, tilt...until the thing is triggered).  The other time it was to set an explosive (basically the same, but shorter and only one R button).  It's not game breaking at all, but it does make you wonder why the hell it's there in the first place (my hunch is Sony made them implement the tilt controls).

Quote from: Eduardo X on February 28, 2009, 05:23:46 AM

The MP is pretty slow, like a good version of the GoW MP, or a slow COD. I really like it, but the SP is a little cookie cutter for me at the moment. I'll keep playing for sure.

Slow in what way?  If anything, I've found it to be too fast.  I'm dying constantly.  I've played a bunch of different types, and they all seem to be over before I've really even done anything (especially the deathmatch, er Body Count matches).

Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 28, 2009, 06:52:08 AM »

Hmmm... I think I'm just used to PC shooters where you can move the cursor precisely and quickly. In terms of aiming, it is slow.

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: February 28, 2009, 04:18:01 PM »

I just finished the single player portion of the game. The game is quite excellent, with the exception of the absolutely atrocious final battle. What the hell is wrong with game designers today? I see this so often, and it's really annoying. They have this compulsion that they need to make final battles as hard as possible (as if they're trying to impress someone), and then they use all the wrong tricks to do so. Look at Uncharted as a good way to handle a final boss. The whole sequence is pretty damn challenging, but it autosaves between every wave of enemies and it never feels unfair. When you die, you feel like it's your own fault. In Killzone 2's final battle, there are almost no autosaves, hordes and hordes (and HORDES!) of enemies, some with rocket launchers, and no safe place to take cover. Let's put it like this: You get a trophy for finishing that battle in under 20 minutes. I didn't get it.

I guess I'll add that any situation in the game where enemies had rocket launchers was not fun to play. That was a poor design decision. The rockets are way too dangerous, and it's very hard to find the shooter through all the smoke and explosions (and blood on your screen). They also almost always appear in groups that will shower you with rockets, so even if you try to dodge out of the way, a rocket is almost guaranteed to hit where you're heading, and there's no way for you to stop that from happening.

Still, it's a solid game. A few damnably frustrating battles doesn't change that fact.

Now to try the multiplayer...
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 28, 2009, 04:56:49 PM »

Seriously, what's up with the eye level in this game?  Is Sev a midget?

I keep hitting the crouch button, thinking I'm in the wrong stance.

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: February 28, 2009, 05:33:24 PM »

Yeah, it's a bit weird. The first time I reacted to it was when I noticed that my head was at elbow-level (!) with a woman. Seriously, that IS midget height.
Big Jake

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 28, 2009, 05:52:40 PM »

After playing a little cod4 last night, I fired this up.  I played through the first level, and agree with everyone on the sixaxis being pointless. Sony:Give it up.  It's not the Wii.  Stop trying.  Also, the sluggish start to panning left & right is ridiculous.  NO, Turning my head on my neck doesn't take a second or two, it's instantaneous.  These controls are reminding me how much the mouse kicks the living hell out of a controller, since in seems like that's a design decision.

Then I jumped in a game of warzone.  Wow - that *IS* mayhem.  In a matter of minutes I had a 17 -18 (with one bomb disarm) and no single life longer than maybe 15 seconds.  I'm suspecting I'm not the only person getting their 'sea legs' with this game, as I saw a ton of guys swapping shots across a contested corridor with no one trying to cover behind doorways,etc.  I get the feeling clans who form up and play this together will rapidly start annihilating random groups of people (a la TF2 after the second month) as people figure out how to make teamwork work (there was absolutely nothing resembling teamwork last night, but it's the first night the game came out so I'm not surprised).

The price of great bacon is eternal vigilance.
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 28, 2009, 06:15:14 PM »

I think this game will start changing really quick as people actually start unlocking badges. Right now we're all the same cannon fodder, and I really like that.

The longer I played, the better I got at taking people down, and once I understood the maps better, I could stay along for a long time with my only worry being running out of ammo. That happened a lot, which means you can't camp. If you do camp, you'll run out of ammo after 2 or 3 firefights, which means you'll have to run around without a gun for a few minutes until you find a recently dead person.

I'm up to sarge if people want me to start a clan.

Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 28, 2009, 06:53:23 PM »

Just tried the demo, and I'm totally out.  I'm not very good at console shooters at the best of times, and with the sluggish aiming controls, I had a massively hard time drawing a bead on anyone.  I'm not sure whose idea it was to make the aiming controls less responsive, but I think that's pretty much the wrong way to go.  It's possible that mucking with settings would fix it, but I didn't bother digging into it.

I ran into two sections where I died several times.  The first was the part where they told you to blow the bridge with the rocket launcher.  I picked up the launcher, and fired it while crouched.  Did this three times, the second and third time making sure that there was nothing in front of my launcher, and each time it apparently hit the barbed wire, blowing up in my face.  Eventually I realized that I'd have to stand up to avoid hitting the bounding box of the wire.  The second area was the open warehouse after taking the elevator up.  Five times, five deaths, with my buddy running out and getting killed each time.

After the fifth death in this second area, I gave up and uninstalled.  I'm not a huge shooter fan at the best of times, and since most of the reviews I've read mentioned copious dying/restarting, something that I despise doing, I just don't think this one's for me.  Graphics sure are nice though.

Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 28, 2009, 07:55:26 PM »

I started the clan! GamingTrend, tag G T.

I sent invites to those who show up on my friends rankings, so if you're not my friend, shoot me an invite and I'll add you to the clan.

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 28, 2009, 07:59:09 PM »

Quote from: Eduardo X on February 28, 2009, 07:55:26 PM

I sent invites to those who show up on my friends rankings, so if you're not my friend, shoot me an invite and I'll add you to the clan.

Why the space, btw?  It looks teh dumb.

gellar
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 28, 2009, 08:15:01 PM »

is the head bobbing really bad?   the slightest head bobbing makes me sick really bad.....like FEAR 2 (i couldn't even make it through the demo).   is Killzone similar to FEAR 2 with weapon/head bobbing?

denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 28, 2009, 08:26:31 PM »

Quote from: Xmann on February 28, 2009, 08:15:01 PM

is the head bobbing really bad?   the slightest head bobbing makes me sick really bad.....like FEAR 2 (i couldn't even make it through the demo).   is Killzone similar to FEAR 2 with weapon/head bobbing?

I just finished Fear 2 last night and played through the 1st chapter of Killzone 2 this morning.  If the head bob in Fear 2 made you sick don't even bother with KZ2.  Quite honestly I didn't even notice it in Fear 2 after a while, but it is very apparent in KZ2. 

Doesn't bother me at all but I'd steer clear if I were you.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2009, 08:29:42 PM by denoginizer » Logged

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: February 28, 2009, 08:33:41 PM »

I second that.  I don't get motion sick, but Killzone 2 will probably make the world spin for anyone who does get motion sick.  Every single action in the game has a corresponding head/camera movement.  It's a nice effect if you don't have a problem with it, but it still is head movement.

Try the demo to see it in action, have a bucket nearby.
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 28, 2009, 09:21:36 PM »

Quote from: gellar on February 28, 2009, 07:59:09 PM

Quote from: Eduardo X on February 28, 2009, 07:55:26 PM

Why the space, btw?  It looks teh dumb.

gellar
Because GT was taken. I too think it looks dumb.

ATB

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 01, 2009, 01:10:37 AM »

Tried the demo tonight and it was fine. Not overwhelming.  Not sure if I'm gonna get it as it didn't seem must have to me.

Head bob was present but not too bad from what I could tell and I have no idea what anyone is talkign about with the delay in turning. Perhaps the sensitivity needs to be upped.

Not crazy about the controls and am not sure why they didn't just replicate COD controls....
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 01, 2009, 01:28:10 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on February 28, 2009, 08:33:41 PM

I second that.  I don't get motion sick, but Killzone 2 will probably make the world spin for anyone who does get motion sick.  Every single action in the game has a corresponding head/camera movement.  It's a nice effect if you don't have a problem with it, but it still is head movement.

Try the demo to see it in action, have a bucket nearby.

i've never gotten sick from a game before, but even i have to admit feeling a little funny for the first few minutes of the Killzone 2 demo.  the feeling went away after i played for a few minutes, but the motion was different enough to set something off until i adjusted.  i wouldn't say i was anywhere close to needing a bucket though...

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 01, 2009, 01:50:18 AM »

After playing through about 5 levels the game feels like a Gears style cover based shooter with CoD style unlimited respawning enemies at some points.  Not a good combination IMHO.  Also the design decision to only allow you to carry one weapon at a time is frustrating.  I've never used my pistol so much in a game.  On a few of the encounters it took me a while to catch on to the infinate respawns.  So I ended up going through about 800 rounds of ammo.  I'm kind of underwhelmed by the single player campaign so far.  The story is nonexistant and the enemy variety seems pretty low.  I'm hoping it gets better.

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 01, 2009, 03:00:11 AM »

I've seen enough...OUT!

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 01, 2009, 03:20:57 AM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on February 28, 2009, 04:56:49 PM

Seriously, what's up with the eye level in this game?  Is Sev a midget?

I keep hitting the crouch button, thinking I'm in the wrong stance.

I just noticed the same thing.  Now it is driving me crazy.  Something just doesn't feel right about it. 

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: March 01, 2009, 03:24:02 AM »

Quote from: Devil on March 01, 2009, 03:00:11 AM

I've seen enough...OUT!

It's making me glad I'm renting it from Gamefly during my free month.  they shipped it today and it should be here Monday or Tuesday.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 01, 2009, 03:26:28 AM »

I really didn't get this for SP. In fact, I doubt I'll play much of it at all, as I usually don't like FPS stories. But the MP is where it is at in this game, and I'm surprised to see people say they don't like the game without mentioning the MP.

Pharaoh

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 01, 2009, 04:21:16 AM »

This game simulates a hectic firefight better than any I've ever seen. People ducking behind cover, exposing themselves for a few popshots, waiting for some guy to go rambo and break the stalemate, grenades all over, turrets, all sorts of nuttiness.

My only real complaint is that some of the maps are so small that surviving for more than 10 seconds with talented players around is impossible. So many grenades, shotguns, air strikes, all sorts of stuff going on that you just cant last without hiding in a corner and praying.

MP is really fun at least, SP, haven't tried yet.
Maggot
Gaming Trend Reader

Calculating Infinity

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 01, 2009, 04:28:36 AM »

Oh yeah it really feels like a hectic battlefield, singleplayer is great, love the graphics (duuurh duuurh) and not just the graphics but all the crap going on... Really feels like a battlefield. The gameplay is also pretty damm good but also very strategic. However the voice overs.... Oh boy i cant believe something with this big ambitions and budget can have so horrible voice overs (sounds like the devs at times just talking...) and lines (well the lines arent that bad... Gears bad i would say).

Oh and yeah that sev is a midget is also pretty annoying, the controls i really got used to after an hour of play, yeah that is a long time but now it feels great.

The multiplayer is fantastic, the desert level in multiplayer is just crazy but i could do with a better mute feature as it is pretty hard to mute the right person.

While i really liked the singleplayer (finnished it yesterday) the multiplayer is the most fun i have had in a loooong time with a game.

Quote from: Big Jake on February 28, 2009, 05:52:40 PM

After playing a little cod4 last night, I fired this up.  I played through the first level, and agree with everyone on the sixaxis being pointless. Sony:Give it up.  It's not the Wii.  Stop trying.  Also, the sluggish start to panning left & right is ridiculous.  NO, Turning my head on my neck doesn't take a second or two, it's instantaneous.  These controls are reminding me how much the mouse kicks the living hell out of a controller, since in seems like that's a design decision.

Go ahead and hate on the slow response but no it doesnt happen instantly if you have a big ass gun in your hand + all your equipment, tried having all the crap on in millitary here once and it really is heavy.

But yeah i have always been a pc gamer and i had a hard time getting used to killzones controls but loving it at the moment.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2009, 04:36:05 AM by Maggot » Logged
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 01, 2009, 05:04:30 AM »

Quote from: Eduardo X on March 01, 2009, 03:26:28 AM

I really didn't get this for SP. In fact, I doubt I'll play much of it at all, as I usually don't like FPS stories. But the MP is where it is at in this game, and I'm surprised to see people say they don't like the game without mentioning the MP.

some people don't care about MP.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: