http://gamingtrend.com
April 20, 2014, 04:31:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kill me now please  (Read 6886 times)
Arkon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: September 26, 2006, 01:14:54 AM »

So, I finally get my 360 back, was out of commission since just before labor day.  I take it out of the packaging and the first thing I notice is that the serial number on this system is 2 months older than the one I sent them.  Then I nearly cut myself on a broken piece of plastic sticking out of the bottom of the system.  So I ignore that and set it up vertically like I have in the past due to where I have to put the system, it doesn't fit horizontally.  Turn it on, throw in Enchanted Arms, and it won't read.  Try a few other games, some read, some don't.  Lay it horizontally, and as long as I power up the system, open the tray and put the game in, it will read 75% of the time, if I power it up with the game in, and click play game, the game won't load.  So I call MS once more, and am quite pissed at this point.  I want a brand new system, MS says I need to go through the repair process once more before they would approve a new system.

Kill me now, please!
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2006, 01:21:13 AM »

Would love to!

I hate reading messages like this because it's making me less and less comfortable with my own 360 (april 06 date) because I know the inevitable is going to happen, just like it did with my last one that was crashing with the disc in it about 20% of the time.

What exactly is MS doing with all these 360s they're getting in anyway? From the sounds of it, they get yours, send it to some other guy who sent his in, and send you the one he sent in!

I guess on the bright side though, at least MS continues to keep taking them back in and you dont have to pay for shipping. It could be worse where they say "We only replace them one time" or whatever..
And in the mean time, if you've got the cash, there's always Walmart with their excellent return policy until you get yours back in the mail.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
jament
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2006, 08:10:19 PM »

Add my 360 to the RIP list.  Went to load up Madden yesterday and it wouldn't even boot to the blade screen.  Tried all the typical stuff - cables, removing HD, unplugging accessories, etc.  Called and spoke to my good Bangladeshian friend, Thomas Jefferson, who set me up with a return box to be arriving here in the next day or two.  I'd been having "dirty disc" errors every two or three days so I figured I was on my way to Return Nirvana.  Strangely, no red lights on the front of the unit.

Fuck.  I really hope I don't get some older refurb bullshit.  Mine was a 12-7-2005 build so free repairs and all that.  But fuck.  Y'know, like fuck.  Of course, as soon as it's broke I have the urge to play every game I have.  If I had the cash I would just go "borrow" another one for a while but I don't.  Fuck.

I better not get either of your returned pieces of shit, Arkon, I can tell you that.
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2006, 08:49:47 PM »

crap, i'm sorry to hear that, ark.   :icon_sad:

how many times do you have to send it back before you get a new unit, and not a refurb?

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2006, 09:00:53 PM »

I've been debating on returning mine (again) because I have one of those JET ENGINE OF DOOM consoles with fan noise that's just insane. Maybe I won't after reading all of this.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
SjN
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2006, 09:02:44 PM »

Has Microsoft come and actually told everyone what the problem is? If it's something like the power supply or disk drive, I'd be a case cracking mofo... If you want something done right, ya gotta do it yourself....

To hell with the warranty.

--SjN
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2006, 09:40:18 PM »

I must be the only one in the world with a launch 360 that isn't broken at this point....    :icon_eek:

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2006, 09:46:00 PM »

Mine's doing fine as well.
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2006, 09:54:36 PM »

i bought mine in feb. of this year, and still haven't had a problem.  however, quite a few folks around here have had to send theirs in for repairs...oftentimes more than once, it seems.  i know they aren't the type to exaggerate or abuse their systems, so i suspect there was some shoddy workmanship on at least some of the shipments that have gone out.

in any case, i'm glad i got the 2 year replacement plan!

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2006, 10:06:38 PM »

Mine's a launch system and I haven't had any problems either.  Though I'm wondering if I should bite the bullet and get the two year warranty.
godhugh

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2006, 10:21:01 PM »

Quote from: Hetz on September 26, 2006, 09:40:18 PM

I must be the only one in the world with a launch 360 that isn't broken at this point....    :icon_eek:

Mine has worked perfectly as well, other then the one time the power supply got kicked by my dog, which caused the red lights o' doom to appear. A quick unplug/plug-in fixed that though.
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2006, 10:43:58 PM »

Give it time.  I am 100% that these are all so poorly designed that they will ALL fail eventually.  Most sooner than later.  My day-one 360 just died 3 weeks ago.  Thought I was immune too. 

I am Xboxalot on Live.
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2006, 11:08:04 PM »

i bought my 360 about a month after release, but it has a build date of 11/6/05 and is still going strong.  like Kevin Grey, i find myself more than a little tempted to sign up for the extended warranty now that MS is making it availlable for those pre-1/1/06 units again...

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
adamsappel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2006, 12:48:36 AM »

Remember, if you have a 2005 unit, you get a year warranty and free repair. Otherwise, you have to rely on the 90-day warranty or pay for out-of-warranty repair. They will send you a new console if you have gone through the repair cycle twice. If you haven't already bought it, spend the $30 to get the 1-year protection plan.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2006, 12:52:03 AM by adamsappel » Logged

Xbox Live Gamertag: adamsappel
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2006, 02:02:29 AM »

Quote from: adamsappel on September 27, 2006, 12:48:36 AM

Remember, if you have a 2005 unit, you get a year warranty and free repair. Otherwise, you have to rely on the 90-day warranty or pay for out-of-warranty repair. They will send you a new console if you have gone through the repair cycle twice. If you haven't already bought it, spend the $30 to get the 1-year protection plan.

Again, either this isn't true, or MS hasn't started this.  I am going through the repair cycle for the 5th time now.  I am not being given a new system.  Every time has been a "refurb" system.  The last system sent to me had broken plastic sticking out of the bottom and I can hear broken plastic rattling around on the inside.  I have the 2 year warranty.  I was told I would need to go through the repair cycle once more before they could submit my case to a higher lvl to give me a "chance" at getting a new system.  This last time I spent 75 minutes on the phone with MS trying to get this resolved.
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2006, 02:33:56 AM »

Mine's working fine and I treat it like shit (it respects me for it icon_lol).  I bought a used original Xbox from SOUP for chrissake's with a good old fashioned Thompson drive and it didn't give me any problems.  I don't think having your console fail is a foregone conclusion.
Louis Cypher

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2006, 02:41:20 AM »

Quote from: Arkon on September 27, 2006, 02:02:29 AM

I can hear broken plastic rattling around on the inside. 
Thats actually normal

Live Gamer Tag: Kitten0Death
PSN: CabriX
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2006, 11:05:37 AM »

Quote from: Louis Cypher on September 27, 2006, 02:41:20 AM

I can hear broken plastic rattling around on the inside. 
Thats actually normal

None of my other systems have done this, so not sure it is normal, and it certainly isn't normal for a sharp piece to be sticking out of the bottom.
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2006, 02:08:48 PM »

Knock on wood me too

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
DamageInc

Starts with s and ends with litting their throats

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2006, 02:22:29 PM »

I am sorry to hear about all your difficulties. I hope they give you a new one.
Have you considered filing a complaint with the BBB? or a local TV station?

The freaks come out at nine and it's twenty to ten
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2006, 08:11:19 PM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on September 27, 2006, 02:08:48 PM

Knock on wood me too

You both can't be the only one... I expect one of you to be very sad when hnext you goot up your 360.  icon_twisted

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2006, 08:16:52 PM »

Quote from: coopasonic on September 27, 2006, 08:11:19 PM

Knock on wood me too

You both can't be the only one... I expect one of you to be very sad when hnext you goot up your 360.  icon_twisted

Hell, if you remember Hetz and I both won our 360 from a contest  Tongue

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
adamsappel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2006, 06:03:51 AM »

I am going through the repair cycle for the 5th time now.  I am not being given a new system.  Every time has been a "refurb" system.  The last system sent to me had broken plastic sticking out of the bottom and I can hear broken plastic rattling around on the inside.  I have the 2 year warranty.  I was told I would need to go through the repair cycle once more before they could submit my case to a higher lvl to give me a "chance" at getting a new system.  This last time I spent 75 minutes on the phone with MS trying to get this resolved.

Five times? When I spoke to the CSR, I was polite and respectful, but that was over my 360 breaking once. You should be screaming and calling for someone's head. The phrase "That is not acceptable" needs to be thrown about. Especially since you have the warranty! You need to call the BBB. They will contact Microsoft about it, and you will get a call back. Also, you should ask what are they going to give you to make up for all the trouble. At the least, you'll get Kameo, PGR3 or PDZ. Say you have all those and you might get a new controller.

Wolves
Gaming Trend Reader

DAMMIT!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2006, 06:09:43 AM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on September 27, 2006, 08:16:52 PM

Quote from: coopasonic on September 27, 2006, 08:11:19 PM

Knock on wood me too

Hell, if you remember Hetz and I both won our 360 from a contest  Tongue
Hopefully not the same type of contest that George Costanza from Seinfeld won!  icon_lol
« Last Edit: September 28, 2006, 06:18:53 AM by Wolves » Logged

papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2006, 05:52:07 PM »

I feel your pain.  I think mine died just now.  I am on hold with customer support.  I did purchase the four year service through best buy though, so I might just take it to them and say replace it.   crybaby icon_evil

Gaming Tag: papa smurff 4
papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2006, 06:14:31 PM »

Update:  Mine is dead.  I have the option of taking it back to Best Buy and having them replace it, then buying a new 2 year replacement plan or sending it back to microsoft and getting the shaft like everyone else.  Any thoughts???  Help me out!

Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2006, 06:25:15 PM »

If you do take it to Best Buy make sure you buy the new replacement plan right then and there.  When I used mine the monkey told me incorrectly that I had 30 days in which to purchase another one.  I repeat, you have to buy it the day you use up your last one.

And unless you're still under the MS warranty I would think it's best to go ahead and use the BB one.  It's quicker, cheaper and gets you a brand new unit right away.  They let me swap out my hard drive so you should lose nothing.  The only inconvenice is disconnecting and packing the thing back up.

* Edit: And sorry to hear that it's dead.  All of you.  I dread another problem as I will have to go through MS.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2006, 06:27:21 PM »

Quote from: Jancelot on September 28, 2006, 06:25:15 PM

And unless you're still under the MS warranty I would think it's best to go ahead and use the BB one.  It's quicker, cheaper and gets you a brand new unit right away.  They let me swap out my hard drive so you should lose nothing.  The only inconvenice is disconnecting and packing the thing back up.

I recommend the BB swap as well. It'll be far quicker (expect at least a week turnaround with Microsoft), and if something goes wrong with the replacement (you have the JET ENGINE FAN OF DOOM!! sound for example) you can demand BB give you a working one right there and then.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2006, 07:05:48 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on September 28, 2006, 06:27:21 PM

Quote from: Jancelot on September 28, 2006, 06:25:15 PM

I recommend the BB swap as well. It'll be far quicker (expect at least a week turnaround with Microsoft), and if something goes wrong with the replacement (you have the JET ENGINE FAN OF DOOM!! sound for example) you can demand BB give you a working one right there and then.

Much longer.  They are using a UPS ground service which is 3-4 days to send you the empty box, same to send it back to them, then the repair time, then the time to get it back to you, again another 3-4 days.

I called in my request Monday, I still don't have the box to return the system in.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2006, 08:09:46 PM »

Oh this just keeps getting better and better.  I called on the 25th of September.  They didn't process my repair request until the 27th and now I won't get my box until October 2nd, that is one week from the time I called in the repair.  This is so incredibly frustrating.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2006, 08:18:52 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on September 28, 2006, 08:09:46 PM

Oh this just keeps getting better and better.  I called on the 25th of September.  They didn't process my repair request until the 27th and now I won't get my box until October 2nd, that is one week from the time I called in the repair.  This is so incredibly frustrating.

Raise hell? Talk to their supervisor? Whatever happened to the blurb I thought I read stating that if they couldn't fix your console in 2 days, you'd get a totally new console as a replacement?

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2006, 08:27:18 PM »

Arkon - Just whack your boss.  It always helps me when I'm frustrated, regardless of why, and even if it has nothing to do with work.

No When. No Want. No Worry

It just never gets old. 

LD

"A young woman led them across the galaxy, and it is she who will lead them again.  Her name is Karan S'jet."
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 28, 2006, 08:29:57 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on September 28, 2006, 08:18:52 PM

Quote from: Arkon on September 28, 2006, 08:09:46 PM

Raise hell? Talk to their supervisor? Whatever happened to the blurb I thought I read stating that if they couldn't fix your console in 2 days, you'd get a totally new console as a replacement?

Obviously the blurb was never given to MS.  I called and asked for a supervisor.  The lady ignored me for 3 minutes, continually repeating..

"Sir, your box has shipped, it will arrive on October 2nd, there is nothing we can do now nor will a supervisor be able to help you"

Me: "I don't care if it has shipped, transfer me to your supervisor"

"But sir..."

"Transfer me to your supervisor please"

"But they can't help you because..."

"Please transfer me to your supervisor.  I am trying to be as nice and polite as possible because I know this isn't your fault, but I would still like to speak with your supervisor"

"I can't transfer you sir"

"Transfer me now, my patience has run out.  I will not ask again, transfer me to your supervisor"

So she transfers me to some guy who speaks english as a second language.

"Sir... how can I help you"

"You can transfer me to your supervisor, because I already know you can't help me"

"But sir, I am a supervisor"

"I know, and you are powerless to help me, I already have been told, so escalate me to the next level, I want to speak with someone higher up the ladder"

"I can't do that sir, we aren't allowed to transfer you to our supervisors, we have to put a case in the system, and THEY will call YOU."

"Do that, and while you are doing that I will be calling the BBB to file a complaint about my experience.  Then I will be seeking a refund of my money so I can purchase a system from your competitor unless this is resolved in an appropriate fashion and quickly"

"Well sir, there is nothing we can do, the box has already shipped"

"Then transfer me to someone who CAN do something"

"I am not allowed, I am sorry"

"You aren't sorry, you are most likely laughing at my misfortune at this point and could care less.  This is just a job to you and I am just a schmo, despite that, I would like to speak to your supervisor."

"I have escalated your case, someone will call you.  Have a nice day Mr. Schultz, goodbye"

At this point I feel like bashing my skull in with my power brick.
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2006, 10:29:58 PM »

My condolensces.  I went through that when I had to exchange my Dell monitor (2005FPW).  "Betty" didn't know jack about computers and kept going in circles on her script.  I went through 3 defectives monitors and ended up just keeping the least defective one out of the bunch.  They won that battle through sheer attrition.  But I won't be doing any more business with Dell.
papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 29, 2006, 01:16:29 AM »

Not to be a dick, but anyone considering buy a 360 needs to get one from Best Buy.  I took my broke ass system in and had it replaced in 20 min.  Just be sure to get the warrenty on it and you are good to go.  Time to set it up.

adamsappel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 29, 2006, 01:35:53 AM »

Quote from: papasmurff on September 29, 2006, 01:16:29 AM

Not to be a dick, but anyone considering buy a 360 needs to get one from Best Buy.  I took my broke ass system in and had it replaced in 20 min.  Just be sure to get the warrenty on it and you are good to go.  Time to set it up.

If you have the option, get it from Costco instead. You don't have to buy any extra warranty. They will replace it without question or charge.

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 29, 2006, 02:04:23 AM »

Quote from: papasmurff on September 29, 2006, 01:16:29 AM

If I would have been able to find one at Costco at launch I would have gotten it there.  I can't stand shopping at Best Buy so it wasn't an option.
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 29, 2006, 03:32:39 AM »

So she transfers me to some guy who speaks english as a second language.

"Sir... how can I help you"

"You can transfer me to your supervisor, because I already know you can't help me"

"But sir, I am a supervisor"

"I know, and you are powerless to help me, I already have been told, so escalate me to the next level, I want to speak with someone higher up the ladder"

"I can't do that sir, we aren't allowed to transfer you to our supervisors, we have to put a case in the system, and THEY will call YOU."

I understand the frustration you are going through. I honestly do. But you need to put this in perspective. It is only a gaming system. They have agreed to replace it. (yes, I understand, AGAIN)  Two days to process a return is actually a swift turnaround. You have a weekend wedged in there which extended your delivery date. That is not Microsoft's fault, it is the UPS business model. You ask for a supervisor, get your request fulfilled, and then immediately brush him off. They offer to have HIS superior call you and it isn't good enough. In most cases, Manager level individuals are not standing around to field calls over a $400 problem. They deal with strategic priorites and high ticket customers, and if every CSR or supervisor called them out of a Six Sigma meeting to resolve an issue for Joe XYZ, the department would come to a grinding halt. That isn't to say that your complaint is not important, it simply means you need to wait. There are other customers of a higher priority than you or me , because they spent $40,000 rather than $400. When I worked for Motorola and I received a call from customer Sarah Beckmen and a different call from Ameritech, I'm sure you can guess who got my attention first. I truly wanted to solve both issues, but prioritization is the name of the game.

You won't have a leg to stand on with the BBB because this isn't an issue of fraud, negligence or non-communication. People think that when they call the BBB and receive a response from the company with which they have a dispute that it was the work of the BBB. In most cases that isn't even true. Despite BBB claims that they contact a company within 2 days, it is usually closer to 3 or 4 days. Then the company has 14 days to respond to the first BBB request. If there is no response, a SECOND request is made followed by another 14 day wait. When you get a call from the company the day after filing a complaint, it is usually because you happened to come up in the company's CSR queue- NOT because some thugs at the BBB strong-armed the ACME Corporation.

Also, the Better Business Bureau is much less intimidating to multinational corporations than most people understand. Again, I sympathize with your frustration. You worked hard for your money and deserve a product of a specific quality threshold.  But it isn't like the piece of machinery that needs repair is the car that drives you to work to put food on the table. Read a book for a week or so. They ARE trying to help you.

This is also why you should own multiple gaming platforms.  smile
« Last Edit: September 29, 2006, 03:35:01 AM by Dante Rising » Logged
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 29, 2006, 03:51:21 AM »

I might shop at costco if there were one within 150 miles of here.  Kinda like fry's in that way.  Hate seeing all the bargains/deals that I can't follow up on.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 29, 2006, 10:21:07 AM »

I might shop at costco if there were one within 150 miles of here.  Kinda like fry's in that way.  Hate seeing all the bargains/deals that I can't follow up on.

I feel yor pain on the Fry's store. There is one just far enough away from my house to ruin the cost savings by driving out to it. You know how they usually release new games for $10 under the MSRP? Well, it costs me $8 in gas to reach the store. Factor in time lost and it isn't worth the drive. Every time I buy a game at EB for $49, I irrationally feel like I'm getting screwed because it is $39 at Fry's. <sigh>
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: