http://gamingtrend.com
October 01, 2014, 08:53:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kickstarter has an accountability problem  (Read 376 times)
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: August 03, 2013, 06:19:58 PM »

Breanna did a fantastic article on the accountability problems with Kickstarter.   I had NO idea it was this bad.   Check it out:

http://www.gamingtrend.com/2013/08/03/kickin-the-can-down-the-road-kickstarters-accountability-problem/

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2013, 08:00:25 AM »

Nice article.  I have only given money to Star Citizen so I hope that one at least can suceed.  The tone of the article pretty much takes me out of giving any more money to anyone else unless it is a finished product.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2013, 08:36:38 AM »

I am very selective in which ones I back.  Shadowrun Returns is the first one where I've gotten the completed product, and other than that I've been playing it safe with Wasteland 2, Project Eternity, Shroud of the Avatar (went to the level that gets me all 5 games though), Divinity Original Sin and Torment.  I've backed two that didn't make it. LFG: Fork of Truth, which I had faith in, and Motorgun, which I was iffy on.  I've only got one that is currently still taking pledges, Shadow of the eternals, but I only backed it because they dropped the ambiguous episodic nonsense.

right now I'm not backing anything where they say it will be out in 2015 or later.  of course that arbitrary date will move as time progresses.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2013, 10:05:21 AM »

The article doesn't point to many of these shady projects because, frankly, there aren't many that have been noticed... yet. I don't think it's a huge problem at the moment, but there needs to be a change in how project verification is handled so we'll avoid a case that shatters people's faith in the system.
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2013, 12:15:46 PM »

I think the article is making it sounds worse than it is. Yes, there are all of these potential problems and a few main cases where things have gone really badly. But that's why you invest in projects of people you know and believe in if you're less willing to risk money on a dud. There are plenty of reputable projects with people who really have something to lose (reputation) if it doesn't happen. Absolutely a lot of planned finish dates have been missed (wildly) and you shouldn't count on those being exactly on time, but overall most things by name people turn out fine. I haven't done many from random people, mostly because their projects either don't interest me, rewards aren't great, or the risk is higher.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2013, 12:18:27 PM by Azhag » Logged
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2013, 01:58:31 PM »

Good article.  Personally, I'm done with Kickstarter until one of the projects I've backed actually comes to fruition.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2013, 03:34:30 PM »

Shadowrun Returns, GiantITP (oots reprints), Dear Mr. Watterson, penny arcade sells out all came to pass.

Wasteland 2 and Doublefine are the other two games I'm waiting for, and the Win8 VLC.

If ebay were measured by this same yardstick, it would have closed by year two.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2013, 05:57:11 PM »

Pretty simple IMO when it comes to Kickstarter...Caveat emptor.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: