http://gamingtrend.com
September 01, 2014, 07:34:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Keyboard Controller for the 360?  (Read 1364 times)
disarm
Gaming Trend Senior Member

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« on: April 08, 2007, 05:27:00 PM »

in what has to be one of the strangest hardware decisions i've seen in a while, Gamespot is reporting that MS has plans to release mini-keyboard this summer that will snap into the 360 controller's headset jack so that you can more easily enter text messages...a feature that's one of the big new additions with the spring dashboard update.  personally, i can't really see this catching on.  why text when you have voice chat that works so well?  to each his own though...

you can read the news post, with pictures, over at Gamespot...Xbox 360 gets Keyboard Controller

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
JuniorDan

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2007, 05:37:49 PM »

looks cool.. But my usb key board work just fine for me, plus it has two usb ports attached to it that links my dancepad and extra charge cables icon_confused...You know what? My wireless 360 don't look so wireless any more. disgust

360 GAMERTAG:Juniordan       ()  ()  ()
Wii: 2834 4528 4246 3222 ()  ()  ()
PS3 Spinks
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2007, 07:26:34 PM »

It could be worse. It could be the PS2 controller that was also a keyboard. It was a really long freaky thing that had a full set of keys on it.

Of course, I can't find a picture of it. Thought it was a Nyko product though...

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2007, 07:49:49 PM »

Can we get a better link? The current one simply links to gamespot.com and I couldn't find it anywhere.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
disarm

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2007, 09:15:33 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on April 08, 2007, 07:49:49 PM

Can we get a better link? The current one simply links to gamespot.com and I couldn't find it anywhere.

hmm...that link worked before, but i can't find it now either.  maybe Gamestop posted some bad info and took it down.  they also had a short news clip about the spring dashboard update that has now disappeared...
« Last Edit: April 08, 2007, 09:19:27 PM by disarm » Logged

*Gamertag - disarm78*
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2007, 10:14:16 PM »

i heard about that mini keyboard thing inserting into the controller when the 360 was first released...well,at least when final fantasy 11 was released,i really didnt think anything would come of it though

EDIT:I clicked on the link but couldnt see the news article anywhere(even after clicking on the news)..anyway,heres is a scary picture of it from C and VG.and if that really is real(or at least an artists impression of what its gonna be like)then i am gonna stick to the USB keyboard that i already have

« Last Edit: April 08, 2007, 10:34:36 PM by metallicorphan » Logged

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2007, 10:39:30 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on April 08, 2007, 07:26:34 PM

It could be worse. It could be the PS2 controller that was also a keyboard. It was a really long freaky thing that had a full set of keys on it.

Of course, I can't find a picture of it. Thought it was a Nyko product though...

sorry for the double post,but is this the keyboard controller thing?

this was another nightmare one(not Nyko)

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2007, 01:34:44 AM »

metallicorphan - I've seen both controllers over at my local Gamestop. That was what I was talking about though. Both freaky and not really usable (although the Nyko one is pretty darn close).

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2007, 08:51:35 AM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on April 08, 2007, 10:39:30 PM

this was another nightmare one(not Nyko)

What you have displayed here is the Logitech PS2 keyboard which I have found to be a very good controller. It isn't obvious from this picture but you can actually detach the keyboard from the frame so that you just have a USB keyboard. Some friends of mine have actually plugged the detached keyboard into laptops and have found them to be quite decent. I don't know of anyone who's connected it to a X360 but it should work. I've tried connecting the detached keyboard to my Wii, but it's a no go.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2007, 10:20:42 AM »

i have tried all kinds of keyboards in my Wii and none of them work

all the details of the dashboard update,includeing the controller have now been officially announced(at least on majornelson anyway)

IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2007, 12:38:01 PM »

I wasn't aware that you could connect a standard USB keyboard to the 360.  How does microsoft overcharge you for that?

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2007, 01:18:23 PM »

I just really don't see the point. Is anyone going to use this over recording a simple voice message?
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2007, 04:17:19 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on April 09, 2007, 01:18:23 PM

I just really don't see the point. Is anyone going to use this over recording a simple voice message?

i think its main point of use will be a benefit to the new messenger thing with the spring update

Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2007, 04:38:02 PM »

First thing I thought of when I saw the picture was the Atari Jaguar controller, which was one of the ugliest looking controllers for a system ever.
unbreakable
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2007, 04:42:32 PM »

I was actually tempted to get that nYko keyboard controller when I was playing FFXI.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2007, 04:50:20 PM »

Quote from: IkeVandergraaf on April 09, 2007, 12:38:01 PM

I wasn't aware that you could connect a standard USB keyboard to the 360.  How does microsoft overcharge you for that?

LOL.  Isn't it 1/1000 of a point per key press?  icon_biggrin
disarm

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2007, 11:01:18 PM »

more pictures of the keyboard attachment posted over at GamerscoreBlog

i can't say that this is something i'm interested in at all, but it looks to be a decent implementation based just on the pictures.  the fact that it's backlit is a nice touch, although i'd be worried about how quickly it might drain your battery.  i'm more curious what is different about the new headset they mention though...

*Gamertag - disarm78*
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2007, 11:04:10 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on April 09, 2007, 01:18:23 PM

Well, in the latest update they're going to integrate Windows Live Messenger into Xbox Live.  That's probably the reason why.

Even still, I agree with you, since you're online with your Xbox, why don't you just go to your computer?

And that is one of the silliest-looking controllers I've ever seen.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2007, 05:44:58 PM »

Here's more shots (stolen from link above)

[attachment deleted by admin]

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2007, 05:46:01 PM »

First one shows being connected, second is showing back after connected.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2007, 05:47:16 PM »

And finally the standalone part. No headset shots though (and you'll note the additional 2 connections are not avail, so any 1/8inch headset should work and be able to use the controls ... except the original 360 headsets)

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2007, 05:50:56 PM »

Honestly, I think this is a terrific addition; it's nice to see them thinking about expansion (and the fact that they included the ports on there to begin with.

Sometimes I don't feel like responding to someone's voice messages; text is just easier and quicker sometimes.

Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2007, 05:58:14 PM »

Agreed.  This add-on looks great and very functional.  I just wish the original headsets could plug in to it though.  And I hope that the price isn't going to be over the top.  But the way MS prices these perhipherals I'm not holding out much hope.  But I guess, like c*ck pushups, you only really need one.

I know it's simple to connect a USB keyboard, but I just didn't want one sitting around my living room for the occasional times that I would use it.  This add-on will fit nicely in my 360 basket on my shelf and be quickly retrievable.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2007, 06:00:19 PM »

Where's the version that has the Q, A, and Z rows off-set like a normal keyboard?  With the way it has the A row shifted left and the Z row shifted right, I could see it driving me insane pretty quickly.
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2007, 07:05:46 PM »

You can't use the original headset?  Of course not.  Why charge you for one peripheral when they could just as easily make you pay for 2.

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2007, 07:07:44 PM »

I think it looks good too.  Heck, it could have been A LOT worse.

I'm still amazed how many text messages I get versus voice messages over live.

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2007, 07:47:59 PM »

exactly.

disarm

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2007, 11:17:33 PM »

Quote from: IkeVandergraaf on April 10, 2007, 07:05:46 PM

You can't use the original headset?  Of course not.  Why charge you for one peripheral when they could just as easily make you pay for 2.

according the site i linked above, the new headset comes with the keyboard...won't cost you anything extra.

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: