http://gamingtrend.com
August 29, 2014, 06:51:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kentucky Route Zero [PC / Mac]  (Read 353 times)
davidrobots
Senior Lead Editor
Gaming Trend Reader

Holler holler get dollar

View Profile WWW
« on: January 13, 2013, 06:41:04 PM »

So I found out about this little indie game that got nominated for the Seamus McNally Grand Prize award at the IGF, and I decided to take the plunge. I felt so inspired by the game that I wrote up this quick look about the game and why it resonated with me.

Check it out and let me know what you think. smile

http://gamingtrend.com/2013/01/12/magical-realism-video-games-and-why-kentucky-route-zero-matters/#/vanilla/discussion/embed/?vanilla_discussion_id=0

David Roberts
Managing Editor, Gaming Trend

Twitter: @davidrobots
Nintendo ID: davidrobots
Xbox Gamertag: FencerMusashi
PSN ID: Fencer Musashi
Steam: davidrobots
3DS: 2148-8144-9369
Lordnine
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013, 12:43:51 AM »

Seems interesting.  After your impressions I watched the Giant Bomb preview video and think I would enjoy  it.  I see that if you buy it directly from them you get a Steam key when its released there so I might pick up sometime this week.
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2013, 08:15:18 PM »

Okay, the Gaming Trend editorial got my attention, but could you possibly elaborate on how long an episode takes to complete? Also, does the storytelling and characterization seem to hold up after that initial "wow" factor wears off?

I don't mind the lack of regular gameplay, but I'm concerned that the storyline and atmosphere won't hold up. If they do, I'm in.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2013, 10:51:53 PM »

Looks interesting, I might need to check it out.  Has a Superbrothers Sword & Sorcery vibe though, which concerns me.  I really didn't like that game at all.

My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
davidrobots
Senior Lead Editor
Gaming Trend Reader

Holler holler get dollar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2013, 11:54:45 PM »

Quote from: Dante Rising on January 14, 2013, 08:15:18 PM

Okay, the Gaming Trend editorial got my attention, but could you possibly elaborate on how long an episode takes to complete? Also, does the storytelling and characterization seem to hold up after that initial "wow" factor wears off?

I don't mind the lack of regular gameplay, but I'm concerned that the storyline and atmosphere won't hold up. If they do, I'm in.

The first episode lasted about an hour, which is pretty damn short. But it's gotten me really excited to see exactly how far the rabbit hole goes, so to speak, so it definitely did its job. There are some really cool twists in how new characters get introduced and how they introduce developments in the story. I don't want to spoil them, as they deserve to be experienced, but needless to say, I was rather impressed. Time will tell if the other episodes continue to hold up or if it's a one trick pony, but it's definitely worth exploring.

David Roberts
Managing Editor, Gaming Trend

Twitter: @davidrobots
Nintendo ID: davidrobots
Xbox Gamertag: FencerMusashi
PSN ID: Fencer Musashi
Steam: davidrobots
3DS: 2148-8144-9369
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: