http://gamingtrend.com
September 02, 2014, 03:39:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ken Levine talks about self-publishing Freedom Force sequel  (Read 1361 times)
warning
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: February 11, 2005, 04:03:45 PM »

This article (Link) is a great read from Ken Levine of Irrational Games.  He talks about the sequel to Freedom Force, their decision to self-publish it and the reasons why.

One thing you often find with publisher funded sequels is the desire to grow the market share of the game. This usually takes the form of a marketing-driven attempt to make the game more "broadly appealing" or more "mass-market".

Given the size and dedication of our fanbase, we knew that the last thing we wanted to do was a make a follow up to Freedom Force that tried to expand the market to casual gamers. To do so would have meant alienating our core fan base, something we refused to do. Freedom Force is always going to be a PC game for people who love strategy, RPG and heroes. It's not going to be for everybody. You know the old saw…"Try to please everybody, you end up only pleasing the marketing department."

I love his attitude and that's why I'm going to pre-order this one shortly.
RedJak
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2005, 08:52:46 PM »

The Freedom Force demo is up on File Planet now.   I loaded it, watched the intro, started the game and realized I have totally forgotten the control scheme.  I am going to reload the original and play around with it for a bit to get my chops back.
unbreakable
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2005, 05:07:08 AM »

Did they ever resolve the whole "XP sp2" breaky thing?
gwartok
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2005, 05:43:17 AM »

They just put out a patch for it this week.
StormcloudCreations
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2005, 06:25:55 PM »

This is just the beginning of this trend, IMHO. If it works OK for them, more and more devs will begin to self-publish and distribute themselves, bypassing pubs altogether.

Now... gamers really do have the future of this type of publishing in their hands. It's up to them to decide if it works or not.

I think its just a matter of time before this becomes the status quo for the industry, with retail shares and contracts the way they are now, IMHO.

I know I moved back to self-pub'ing from a publisher for many reasons, control and keeping a bigger share of the money being among them. I haven't regretted it. smile

Derek
Stormcloud Creations
New unique, adventure game on sale now - PathQuest!
www.stormcloudcreations.com

Derek
Stormcloud Creations
www.stormcloudcreations.com
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2005, 12:51:46 AM »

I pre-ordered the game directly from Irrational's website simply because I wanted them to receive as much of my money as possible.  I was a big fan of the first Freedom Force -- not to mention games like System Shock 2 -- and I wanted to reward the risk they've taken in trying to go it alone.

-Autistic Angel
Ascendent

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2005, 12:54:20 AM »

I preordered through them as well. Super hero game, and a good one at that they need to be supported.

Ascendent
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2005, 03:03:50 AM »

I never played the first Freedom Force but I'm wondering something.

I've made 'comics' using Half Life 2 and Garry's mod for HL2. GM, for those who don't know, allows you to pose any and all HL2 ragdoll characters and use any and all HL2 related maps(CS:S & DM too) as 'sets', and do any number of other things that allow you to use the game as a freeform creative tool.

Now this is with a game that doesn't have comics as its focus.

I'm wondering,  did FF allow that kind of thing to be done? Is the sequel going to? It seems like a natural. Forget playing someone else's canned scenarios, use the game's assets to create your own comics!  Create new skins not to customize your game character, but to create a 'cast' for your stories.

The ability to pose the characters and manipulate their facial expressions is vital to making this work though. If a game doesn't allow that, forget about it.

edit: took a quick trip to the official FF forums, was massively disappointed. There are NO comics there! There's fan art - hand drawn, and fan writing, but no comics made with the games.  Even the Garrysmod forums has a section dedicated to nothing but comics, what's up with that?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: