http://gamingtrend.com
July 30, 2014, 07:14:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ken Kutaragi on the PS3 - expensive, 10 years  (Read 3124 times)
warning
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: July 27, 2005, 05:52:37 PM »

Saw this on Bill's Dubious Quality blog today.  According to Gamespot Ken Kutaragi recently made some interesting statements.  For example:
Kutaragi started out by reconfirming that the PS3 will be backwards-compatible with PlayStation and PlayStation 2 games and support high-definition TVs.

Okay sounds good so far...

We're looking at a life cycle of 10 years with the PlayStation 3.

Hunh?  10 years?

"I'm aware that with all these technologies, the PS3 can't be offered at a price that's targeted towards households. I think everyone can still buy it if they wanted to," said Kutaragi to a mostly Japanese crowd. "But we're aiming for consumers throughout the world. So we're going to have to do our best (in containing the price)."

Then Kutaragi issued a somewhat ominous warning. "I'm not going to reveal its price today. I'm going to only say that it'll be expensive," he stated.

Well just how much are we talking here Ken?  $399?  $499?  3DO?

Suddenly I'm eyeing the Xbox 360 a bit more.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2005, 06:05:48 PM »

Quote from: "Crazy Man"
I'm aware that with all these technologies, the PS3 can't be offered at a price that's targeted towards households. I think everyone can still buy it if they wanted to.

I wish they'd consider selling a more competitively priced stripped down version of the PS3 with fewer technologies.  I mean, I love technologies as much as the next guy, but I really only need 2 or 3 technologies to be happy with a product.  I've even been known to buy products with just one technology.
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2005, 06:22:31 PM »

Well, it is a George Forman grill and it has the boomerang controller slywink

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2005, 07:21:32 PM »

Eh. I'll wait until they actually announce the price, before I'm going to fly off the handle. But, if it is indeed expensive, then I'm going to be needing some serious justification on that expense since the only thing I'm looking for from the PS3, is a gaming box.

Seeing as I haven't really kept up with these consoles much, though, would anyone like to list what exactly "all these technologies" in the PS3 are that're supposed to make the price be so high anyways?

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2005, 07:34:53 PM »

Ken is a professional at anti-marketing his own stuff.  What sort of cracksmoking smacktard makes this sort of statement about his own product???

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2005, 07:58:23 PM »

Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"
Ken is a professional at anti-marketing his own stuff.  What sort of cracksmoking smacktard makes this sort of statement about his own product???

No kidding. I mean, if the PS3 is not "targeted towards households," um, who is it for?
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2005, 08:14:31 PM »

Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"

I've never understood WHY Sony allows this absolutely crazy man to constantly make these kinds of statements. I thought the old man who used to run Nintendo of Japan was nuts. Ken takes the cake by far.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2005, 08:38:41 PM »

The 10 years thing is normal- The PSOne was still stelling great well after the PS2 debuted and they are going for the same thing with the PS2 after the PS3 is on the market.
JayG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2005, 09:08:37 PM »

With the Sony are carrying on lately, I hope that the XBox blows them out of the water. Microsoft are doing everything right.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2005, 09:30:26 PM »

Quote from: "JayG"
With the Sony are carrying on lately, I hope that the XBox blows them out of the water. Microsoft are doing everything right.

Well except for the lame name.  Xbox 360?  Geez.

Other than that, I agree completely.
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2005, 11:15:26 PM »

cracksmoking smacktard
Not sure why, but that phrase is just making me guffaw... :lol:

I don't care what they call the XBox, I'm still pre-ordered, but definitely waiting to see if my latest Playstation will end in a "2"' or a "3" - and this makes me feel even more justified in doing so!

No kidding. I mean, if the PS3 is not "targeted towards households," um, who is it for?
And, yeah, you're right on, Wonderpug - wtf?

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
Samurai
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2005, 11:27:32 PM »

What a freaking idiot.

Welcome to the Bovine.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2005, 11:54:13 PM »

Regardless of what Kutaragi might say, Sony didn't get to their position by being stupid.  Whatever the XBox360 costs, that's how much PS3 will cost, or be in the same general price area.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2005, 12:08:12 AM »

Sony obviously knew what the eff they were doing to get to this incredibly far ahead in the console game from virtually nowhere, but seriously, this Kutugari dude is just full of complete bullshit.
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2005, 12:44:50 AM »

I start into this on the 4th paragraph of my latest blog entry.  In case you don't want to go over there here's the part:
I know people have been going off on the "it will be expensive" thing that Ken said. I think it will be expensive and I think Sony is betting on people picking it up. Think of it much like buying a Sony TV versus other models. You pay an extra amount for that Sony name even though it might not be the better TV. Sony is betting on people paying extra to keep the Playstation line alive and well. Sony knows it has the Japanese gamers in its back pocket until Microsoft can show something that Japanese gamers will pick up in mass quantities, so why not push the price higher? Sony knows it will have a tough fight in the U.S. and Europe where the Xbox is quite a bit stronger than at home base in Japan.

I think they are going to sell it at $399 or $499 here in the U.S. I think the price depends a lot on how expensive Blu-Ray is to produce at the time the console comes out. It is Sony proprietary hardware, but Blu-Ray may still be in the "hardcore only" category by the time the PS3 comes out over here, which means it will be expensive. Betting on the future is not always the smartest thing to do when you're Sony...remember BetaMAX and MiniDisc. It is unknown at this time how long it will take Blu-Ray players to integrate into the mainstream outside of the PS3 (if people buy it). Microsoft is smart with putting a DVD drive in the 360 with the possibility of a future add-on in the air. For the record I think Micorosft will sell the 360 at either $249 or $299 simply to get market share.

Ken Kutaragi has always had some crazy things to say, but I think ever since he got demoted and a non-Japanese person stepped in as CEO of Sony that he's really flown off the handle. At one time Ken was considered to be a front runner for the CEO position, then the shakeup happened and he ended up being demoted. I am a bit surprised Sony hasn't put a piece of duct tape on his mouth. Maybe the Japanese press and population like hearing about all the cool gadgets and how expensive it is going to be, I really don't know.

It is also weird to think that whichever side controls Square-Enix may once again win the war. Square-Enix is a big company in Japan whose games have a legion of followers both there and here in the U.S. If Microsoft can coax Square-Enix into developing more games for them outside of Final Fantasy XI and make them exclusive to the 360 you will see Microsoft's share of the cake in Japan go way up. Nothing has been announced from Square-Enix beyond Final Fantasy XII and it will be interesting to see where they go with next-generation systems.

I love Bill's blog by the way, I go at mine a bit differently but we can touch on the same things from time to time.

EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2005, 01:40:30 AM »

"I think they are going to sell it at $399 or $499 here in the U.S."
No offense to the guy that wrote this, but there's simply no way in the world Sony would put the PS3 out at $500 and $400 is really stretching the bounds of possibility, unless the 360 is $360.  Sony depends on the mass-marketability of their system and its games, and $500 is not a mass-market price.  It's just not going to happen.

"Nothing has been announced from Square-Enix beyond Final Fantasy XII and it will be interesting to see where they go with next-generation systems."  At E3, Square Enix announced that they will produce a FF game for the PS3, presumably FF13 or FF7-2, with the 360 and Revolution most likely getting spin-off games.  I think there's pretty much no chance of the main SquareEnix franchises (FF, Dragon Quest, and Kingdom Hearts) leaving the Playstation.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
warning

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2005, 02:01:03 AM »

Quote from: "EddieA"
I think there's pretty much no chance of the main SquareEnix franchises (FF, Dragon Quest, and Kingdom Hearts) leaving the Playstation.

Well that's what Nintendo thought during the SNES era.  They left Nintendo for Sony because they perceived the Sony system was the stronger hardware and would likely sell more.

Parallels?  I dunno.
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2005, 02:10:20 AM »

Quote from: "EddieA"
"I think they are going to sell it at $399 or $499 here in the U.S."
No offense to the guy that wrote this, but there's simply no way in the world Sony would put the PS3 out at $500 and $400 is really stretching the bounds of possibility, unless the 360 is $360.  Sony depends on the mass-marketability of their system and its games, and $500 is not a mass-market price.  It's just not going to happen.

I wrote both things.  Bill also wrote that he thinks it will be at least $399.  In my view Sony can charge more simply because they feel they are #1 and everyone is going to buy the new PS3 no matter the price.  It's an opinion.  I doubt it will be $499, but I also doubt it will be close to the Xbox price.

As for Square-Enix...I don't remember them announcing anything other than support for the PS3 and showing off FFXII (the only PS2 game shown off at the pre-E3 conference).  They also announced support for the Xbox 360 at E3 as well in the form of FFXI without any announcement for anything outside of that.

Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2005, 02:35:02 AM »

I wouldn't be surprised if Sony was just talking up the price of the Playstation 3 to hype it up more (something they're very good at). As in - "hey, our system is so advanced it's going to cost a hundred zillion dollars!!!!11001101!!!" This gets all the kids excited and then when the PS3 debuts at $299 they'll think it's an incredible deal and rush out to get it at midnight.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2005, 05:41:27 AM »

"As for Square-Enix...I don't remember them announcing anything other than support for the PS3"
They did say that it was a Final Fantasy title that is planned for the PS3, and  I'd be surprised if it isn't FF13 or the long-rumored FF7 sequel.  XBox360's already long list of RPGs is definitely impressive, but I can't see SquareEnix risking any of their big franchises unless the 360 really takes off in Japan.  I think the best they can hope for is ports of the FF games or the FF11 sequel.  Of course, stranger things have happened - like Square and Enix merging.

Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2005, 06:37:12 AM »

Of course it's also possible that this is a repeat of what happened with the PSP. Anyone remember how blown-out-of-proportion that price was in the beginning?

Yeah.

So, now they do this, then when they announce the actual price, people'll say "Wow! That's a lot cheaper than I thought it'd be!", and then buy it.

Eh well. Whatever the case is, it has caused people to talk about PS3 some more, be it for better or for worse. Go, go, marketing.

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2005, 07:21:02 AM »

Quote from: "Fellow"
Of course it's also possible that this is a repeat of what happened with the PSP. Anyone remember how blown-out-of-proportion that price was in the beginning?

$250 is still way too much in my opinion.  It's only $50 less expensive than the Xbox and PS2 at release.  I have no idea what the guess was by people though.

I think a lot of you are blowing over the fact that the PS3 uses an expensive disc system (Blu-Ray) and an expensive processor (Cell).  They are both backed or created by Sony, but that doesn't mean it costs any less to manufacture at launch time.  The price of the PS3 will depend on how much the Blu-Ray technology eats into the mainstream prior to its release.  Chances are it won't be much and it will take a year or more for it to seep into the mainstream simply because that is when the price and production cost will drop.

I don't think Ken is joking about this one.  Yes, they will have to match the 360 with price, but as I said in my entry...Sony owns Japan and are not threatened by Microsoft there as of yet.  They feel they can be #1 worldwide even if the PS3 is more expensive than the 360.  They have to see a 360 imprint before anything substantial is done with price in Japan (and chances are much like the PSP the PS3 will be cheaper over there than here).

I also don't think Sony is in the market position as an overall company where they can bleed tons of money by dropping the price too much.  Sony as a company is not as powerful as it once was (which is why the shakeup happened) and it's being attacked from all sides.  Their hopes rest in Cell and Blu-Ray and the ability to move at least the former beyond video games.

Anyway, I've said enough for now...should probably get to bed.

Eddie...I'll believe you on Square-Enix.  I guess I didn't hear it, maybe they put it in a PR piece or something?

EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2005, 07:34:33 AM »

There's a little blurb about the PS3 FF game at IGN - "Confirmed to be in development by Square Enix President Yoichi Wada, the first next-gen FF will likely be Final Fantasy XIII."  The director of FF7 and X has also said that he is working on the game, although he didn't say what the game was either.  I think it's most likely that it's FF7-2.  A sequel would make sense as a culmination of all the FF spinoffs and the movie, and it would generate a lot of buzz for the PS3.  SE has also said they are working on a next-gen MMORPG, which could be for the 360.

Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2005, 08:33:42 AM »

Quote from: "JayG"

Granted Kutaragi's a total blowhard, but Sony's next-gen message resonates more with me than Microsoft's. To me, Sony's basically saying "We're building the biggest, baddest console on the block for a no-compromise gaming experience." Compare that to Microsoft's "We're building a virtual flea market so Velocity Girl can sell you a T-shirt for your Tony Hawk character to wear."

Also, Bill's great and all, but most of these quotes from Kutaragi are a couple weeks old and taken well out of context.
JayG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2005, 11:31:49 AM »

I live in Europe, and we are being really messed over by Sony. They are taking Retailers to court to stop them selling the PSP, and stopping Play.Asia shipping to England. Then all the lying and the ridiculous prices we pay. And the nonsense about dead pixels and the broken button. Microsoft on the otherhand tend to release games around 2 weeks after they are released in America, unlike the Jap companies that can take sometimes up to a year, and they are going to release the XBox here before XMas. One of the reasons PC Games are so popular here is because of the threatment of console companies, and it looks like Microsoft actually appreciates our market.

Plus the P2 had the wow factor when it was released, and if the new XBox has the same level of graphics and is cheaper I can't see the P3 being a must have, especially when Microsoft releases KOTOR 3, HALO 2 and other big releases at the time of it's release. Unless they have a FF or a GTA up their sleeve I can't see it being as huge a success as it's predessor. And it would be nice to have an American console as no 1 because English is my mothertongue (yes, laugh), so I don't have to wait years for games to be translated, or even worse never released in out market.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2005, 05:26:22 PM »

Quote from: "AgtFox"
Eddie...I'll believe you on Square-Enix. I guess I didn't hear it, maybe they put it in a PR piece or something?

I'll back Eddie up on this- it was definitely during the press conference.  I think it was after the FF7 demo footage where he said something to the effect of "while there is currently no plan to remake FF7, the next Final Fantasy title will be coming to PS3."  

It was an interesting contrast to what the same SE guy said during MS's press conference which only alluded to future collaborations but made no mention of any FF titles outside of FFXI.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2005, 05:57:51 PM »

I think one of the main debates won't be settled until the collective Blu-Ray & HD-DVD camps get their heads out of their asses and realize that a format war is a really bad idea. Of course, since the unification talks broke down, the war is still on and heading right for us. What's going to be funny as hell to me is when it blows up in both sides' faces. HD-DVD doesn't require extensive overhauls to existing manufacturing plants, but Blu-Ray holds more data overall and I believe improves quality as well, though I stand to be mistaken on that point. Blu-Ray, though, WILL require extensive overhauling of existing manufacturing plants, and the first reaction anyone has to that is, "No thanks, we'll stick with what we got."

As I've said before, I'll likely go with both consoles but we're probably not going to have definites of what the 360 is capable of (yes, I'm ignoring PGR for now) until mid-August to early-September. That's when I think developers and Microsoft will start really ramping up the in-game screenshot releases and videos to get everyone really revved up for November.

Then Sony's going to release some sort of data to take the wind out of Microsoft's sales, but until the spring trade shows of next year, Sony is nothing but hot air. I honestly don't think Sony will prove whether they can or can't beat Microsoft in this round until E3 of 2006, and that's a loooong ways off. Until then, they can just shut their yap because all they have right now is posturing and more posturing.

I also agreed with Bill's blog that the PS3 probably won't hit until Sept. at the earliest next year. Don't get me wrong, I think they're going to try like hell to hit early summer, but they'll miss it and say "we're adding new features!" And I agree with Loren that we can stop hoping for a $299 price tag, and start expecting a $399 or even $450 (though high, it's an outside chance) price tag, which Microsoft will take a swing at by dropping the 360 by $50.

At which point, we gamers can just kick back and watch the big guys slug it out and laugh at what happens when ego, hubris, and a shitload of cash all meet at a crossroads. biggrin

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2005, 12:29:59 AM »

"Unless they have a FF or a GTA up their sleeve I can't see it being as huge a success as it's predessor."
Both games are in the works for the PS3, along with other heavy hitters like Metal Gear, and I imagine their publishers would be very unhappy with Sony if the PS3 comes out at $400 or more.  Sony pricing the PS3 too high could have a domino effect, costing them both sales and exclusives.  I think they have more to lose by pricing it too high than by taking big losses and pricing it competitively with the 360.

stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2005, 12:32:09 AM »

I'm pretty sure the GTA publisher has stated they were no longer interested in any exclusivity contracts.  So the next full GTA game will likely be released on Xbox 360 and PS3.

Edit:  From what I could find they are taking a "wait and see" attitude towards any console exclusivity.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2005, 03:06:57 AM »

All I know is this - will I pay more than $299 for a gaming console at launch?

Hell no. Not anymore.

$250 is the 'perfect' price point though for a home console. For a portable IMHO, that number is $199, no more. If I only had the games I purchased on my PSP to play, instead of my classic gaming collection, I would be pissed that I paid what I did for mine.

As of right now, I have to admit I have money down on the X360. As soon as a more definite date comes around, odds are I'll do it for the Revolution, too. The PS3 though? I'll wait for a price point. Especially how I was burned (IMHO) when the PS2 came out. Paid way too much and got way too many craptastic games when it was released.

Of course, part of that was how EB at the time required you to purchase a bunch of crap with the console, but that's another forum post entirely.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2005, 03:37:59 AM »

Quote from: "Destructor"
All I know is this - will I pay more than $299 for a gaming console at launch?

Hell no. Not anymore.

Same here.  More than $300 and I'm happy to wait for a pricedrop.  I think it would take a Zelda magnitude launch title for me to stretch to $350.
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2005, 09:31:07 PM »

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2005, 09:32:23 PM »

And I was just gonna post that. Damn you! biggrin

warning

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2005, 09:42:32 PM »

God that's great.
Meisterbrew
Special Project Group
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2005, 02:59:47 AM »

i think ill stick with my playstation 2 with hd/net adapter for awhile this crap is outrageous, i rather buy a revolution!
Freezer-TPF-

First in war and peace, second in the NL East.

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 30, 2005, 04:34:12 AM »

Sony's arrogance will be Microsoft's gain (at least in the US).

Signature on file at the county clerk's office.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: