http://gamingtrend.com
October 23, 2014, 04:50:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: Should I Keep Games Forever?  (Voting closed: May 22, 2006, 05:38:36 PM)
Yes- It shows where we've been; good for nostalgia - 20 (66.7%)
No- Cash out and buy the latest- you're not rich after all - 10 (33.3%)
Total Voters: 30

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Keeping Games Forever?  (Read 1115 times)
ATB
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« on: May 22, 2006, 05:38:36 PM »

A serious question, to you, my brothers:  Is there a point to keeping games forever?

I was tooling around on ebay and saw a collection of PS2 games for sale and it's fetching 200.00, which is no small chunk of change.

I have a lot of great XBOX games that I could bundle together and attempt to sell- though I know I would take an overall loss (but that's still more than I'd get with them sitting on my shelf)- chances are I'll never play them again and the extra dough would help offset future costs (Wii, DS, games, etc).

It's a very rare game that I rate as a permanent addition to my collection (though the ratio of xbox games is rather high) and I'm wondering if any game should rate that.

Games that I hold back are what I consider the best of the generation (Prince of Persia Trilogy, Halos, KOTOR, Ninja Gaiden, etc) and ones that I'd like to go back to eventually.  Thing is, I almost never do (Ninja Gaiden WILL be the exception).  So should I hang on to them as a part of nostalgia or possibly the chance to cash in on them many years from now on Antiques Roadshow or unload them now to fund future purchases.

I'm not a 'collector' per se nor am I particularly sentimental about gaming.  I have great memories and there are some games I still wish I would have kept (Mike Tyson's Punchout, LucasArts adventures etc), but I don't know that I would ever really play them again.

Thoughts?
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2006, 06:05:40 PM »

I keep telling myself I'll keep certain games, but there comes times when I'd rather trade-in stuff then keep it and use money, and I eventually get rid of them.

Certain games that I LOVE and wouldn't fetch me much money at all I keep (Amplitude, Gitaroo-Man), but even games I proclaim to be "BEST OF THIS GENERATION!" I end up getting rid of, knowing I can just purchase it at a lower price in the future.  But I want to play SotC now, damnit.

I am collecting every Metal Gear Solid game, though  Cool

SO, to me, there's no point in keeping games forever.  You can just grab them super cheap later on.  Let's not lump like, Atlus games or Rez in there, but for the most part, I can get whatever title I traded back in a year or two for really cheap, if I really want them again.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Darren8r

I like video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2006, 06:25:01 PM »

I just do it like this.

I only buy the best games, or most appealing to me games.

I've had my PS2 for pretty much ever, and I only have like 12 games. Or something, maybe not even that many. I regret a few buys, but I still go back and play all my games anyways, just to give them usage. I've put probably 50 or more hours into all the games I own, so I feel thats worth it.

Then theres games like Final Fantasy X: 120 hours, GTA:SA: 82 hours, MGS: Subsistence: 53 in single, 112 online.

I'm getting my money's worth smile

Edit: Forgot to mention. I also keep these games. Sometimes I dig out my Sega and play it, it would be no fun if I sold all my games, right? Same with all my other older systems.

Now Playing: Skyrim
PS3: Darrenzo- (don't forget the dash at the end)
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2006, 06:35:05 PM »

I tend to only keep the games I really like and/or intend on playing through again, and I'll sell everything else eventually.  Then I end up buying them all again at the end of the console's life cycle smile  I have a pretty large collection of DC games I bought on the cheap a couple of years ago, and I'm starting to build up my Xbox collection in the same manner.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2006, 06:45:48 PM »

Depends on the game, most definitely. I'll sell or get rid of most other ones that I know I won't play through again (such as Ninja Gaiden, funny enough) but others I keep for either nostalgia or because it was just a great piece of entertainment. Take the LucasArts adventures, for example. I could play Grim Fandango forever but most people nowadays have only heard about it in reverential tones from us veteran gamers. Meanwhile they're busy entranced by the latest Madden which I wouldn't touch with a 100 pole.

Maybe if it was electrified.

But I'm also running on limited space so I have to pick and choose what I keep. If the game gives me a great time and I want to go back and play it again at some point then you bet I'll keep it. But something half-assed like X-Men 3? Played it, reviewed it, uninstalled it. With so many games on the market and entertainment options available, a half-assed job will get thrown to the curb every time.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2006, 07:09:56 PM »

I hardly keep any games, as they always end up trade bait sooner or later.

I've had a PS1, PS2, & X-Box for years now and have owned every single game I've had interest in at one point or another.  As of today, the only games I've kept are Guitar Hero, FF VIII, FF Tactics, Fable, and Chrono Cross.  Everything else has been played and sold.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
depward

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2006, 07:18:56 PM »

I try to keep games I've really enjoyed in a "collection."  But I'm one to trade-in games if I don't particularily like them.  VGH - a video game store I used to live by - used to give pretty good credit for trade-ins compared to what Gamestop/EB does these days.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2006, 08:13:17 PM »

I keep a lot of my games, but they meet one of two criteria points:

1) Games that I want to replay because I love 'em.
2) Games that are fantastic and simply worth keeping, either for nostalgia/historic significance, or because they are so outstanding you'll hang onto them for other people to play. smile

I'd say I keep a little more than half the games I buy; the other half I inevitably trade in.  I'm not including pc games in this, as they are not as convenient to trade in as console games.

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2006, 08:20:06 PM »

I'm a collector for all of my  hobbies (movies, books, and games) so trading in something is a very rare thing.  I *do* go back and replay lots of games and I've learned through hard experience (ie rebuying several games I had decided to trade in) that I can't necessarilly know whether I'll come back to a game after I iniitally play it.
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2006, 09:23:37 PM »

personally speaking, I don't consider it a "loss" when I sell or trade in games.

It's rare for a game to appreciate in value. Only a handful of titles have ever reached that rare status and have been desirable enough to warrant extra cash.

To me, the only time I have a loss, is when I don't play the game enough. I've regretted trading in a few titles that I just didn't invest enough time into.

Overall though, it's a sunk cost, and if I get enough entertainment out of it then why have them collect dust on a shelf? Unless you have the space, disposable income and the desire to collect something that never really appreciates in value, I don't see the need to hold onto games that you won't play again.

That's not to say I don't see value in the nostalgia or wouldn't have liked to keep my NES or TG16, but the Wii makes all that a moot point. Now I can have my Cake and Eat it too and not have a closet full of plastic cartridges.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2006, 11:36:07 PM »

I usually end up keeping most of my games.  The ones I'll get rid of are older sports games or games that I finished and was less than thrilled with the experience.  Even then, I tend to be a collector and find it hard to  trade or sell them.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2006, 02:30:18 AM »

I keep all of them.  Not for nostalgia but because I can't help it. :cry:

I'm trying to be MUCH more selective in the new generation.  I have more games than I could ever play.  Seriously.  EVER.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2006, 02:39:09 AM »

I'll put it this way:  I sold a majority of my PC gaming collection, and it paid for all but a little bit of my E3 hotel room and food. smile
weleavefossils
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2006, 03:20:46 AM »

it would be smart to just sell them, but I feel like i would feel like I'm loosing my legs and arms (and what good am I without them?)

I might one day sell the ones I really don't ever think about playing again, but then, I'm sure ill only get a couple bucks for them and feel disappointed.

In fact i still have my old Turbo Grapx-16 in my closet.  My excuse right now is maybe my son will want to play them when he's a little older.

Wii 5882-3358-1683-0643
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2006, 12:28:52 PM »

I voted NO.

Life is too short to replay games.  I play them only once (often never finishing) and on the trade-in block they go.

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2006, 02:03:00 PM »

I think I'm gonna put them up on ebay.  I'm not quite ready to get rid of KOTOR II, but I think I will anyway...
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2006, 04:21:30 PM »

My gaming collection includes original editions of Wing Commander with the fold-out blueprints of the four flyable fighter craft in the game, the floppy disk edition of Wing Commander II which took a little over two hours to fully install, and Ultimas IV - VII Part 2 with their cloth maps and swag (moonstone, Codex of Ultimate Wisdom Coin, etc.)  I've got original copies of games like Castles, Populous, Master of Orion, X-Com and System Shock, as well as a bunch of obscure Origin titles many people have never heard of like Bioforge, Shadowcaster, and Cybermage: Darklight Awakening.  I even own Thief, Thief: Gold and Thief II in those assinine angular boxes Eidos used to use.

I don't collect games just for the sake of having them.  I don't even consider myself to be a collector -- I own these titles because I purchased them brand-new off the shelf and have enjoyed them enough to keep them handy all these years.  In fact, one of the ways I got myself ginned up for System Shock 2 was by playing through a significant portion of the original, and I enjoyed playing my way through FreeSpace 1 & 2 as recently as last year.  Not only do many of these games represent a standard of excellence that was years ahead of their time, many of them pioneered styles of game play which no longer exist.  (Can someone explain why the hell *nobody* can seem to create a good spiritual successor to X-Com?!?)

Not all the titles in my library are classics.  I actually hold onto original issues of Sierra Entertainment's Outpost, the "Dragon Edition" of Origin's Ultima IX, and Quicksilver's Master of Orion III for the specific purpose of reminding myself to avoid getting too excited about something I haven't played.  Considering how hyped up I am for games like Spore and Supreme Commander, that strategy doesn't actually work, but for some reason I find it comforting nonetheless.

Anyways, I believe in holding onto games I've really enjoyed: I hate the idea that I'd never be able to revisit them again, and I actually take the opportunity to do so on a fairly frequent basis.  Other games like Age of Mythology or Devil May Cry which just don't gel with me for whatever reason, I often sell them or give them away freely to others who would get some real enjoyment out of them.

-Autistic Angel
unbreakable
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2006, 06:57:42 PM »

It depends on how you play.  If you are someone who often replays older titles, then it would obviously be an advantage to maintain a library.

But as far as keeping every single game... that's not good either, unless you have a lot of space and, well, want to look like a nut.

If you really don't replay stuff, then just trade things off when you are done.  

From what you wrote, it sounds like you don't really end up revisiting stuff, so realisticly?  Just get rid of the clutter.
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2006, 09:35:36 PM »

Ideally, I'd love to buy one game at a time, and sell it before buying another game.  Usually, if you're really nostalgic, you can buy the game cheaper then you sell it later on.  I end up keeping to many games because I never finish them before buying another, and never get back to them, no matter what my intentions.

---
XBox Live: ScottW
unbreakable
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2006, 01:28:27 AM »

I have a whole bunch of old games, but I'm probably going to weed through them and only keep the ones I actually intend to replay.

The nice thing about living in a small apartment is it forces you to get rid of things you no longer want or need.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: