http://gamingtrend.com
October 01, 2014, 12:29:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Katamari Damacy controls  (Read 2009 times)
EddieA
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: October 20, 2004, 06:13:58 AM »

I've been thinking about picking up Katamari Damacy, but I'm worried about having problems with the controls.  I suck at using the analog sticks in FPS games, and I had fits trying to get used to controlling the boats in Ape Escape with the analog sticks.  I read that you control your ball using both analog sticks, rather than just the one.  Are the controls hard to use?  The game seems like a fun little romp, and the last thing I'd want from it is frustration.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2004, 06:39:51 AM »

It takes practice to get used to.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2004, 09:51:17 AM »

The controls are pretty intuitive and not nearly as bad as a console FPS.  It feels more like your driving a car than aiming a gun.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
Mudfrost
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2004, 09:53:03 AM »

I hated the controls when I first started, and I still don't understand why the programmers found it necessary to use both sticks to perform simple moves like forward, backward, left, and right. Never-the-less, I adapted and the controls have become second nature.

Give it a shot. The game is worth any frustration you might have initially.
Charlatan
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2004, 11:33:13 AM »

Since you use JUST the 2 analog sticks and only rarely anything else, it's pretty easy to work. I wouldn't let the control scheme keep me from getting this great game.

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2004, 06:14:57 PM »

Here is the control paragraph from my review.

The mechanics of the game are relatively simple, and the controls reflect that.  Most of the game is controlled with the two analog sticks with a control scheme that reflects the two-stick action of the Battle Zone arcade game.  Pushing forward on both sticks makes the fall go forward, while pulling back on both sticks will pull the ball back.  Moving both sticks left or right will strafe the ball in that direction.  Pulling on one of the sticks will move your character around the ball.  Pushing down both analog sticks at the same time makes you turn in the opposite direction.  L1 gives you a first-person perspective of where you are at, and R1 makes the character jump and gives a bird’s eye view of the landscape.

http://www.consolegold.com/Reviews/review/248.html

It probably sounds more difficult than it really is.  If you ever played the Battle Zone arcade game, you should have no problems with it.

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
Qbe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2004, 08:25:59 PM »

What Graham said.

The controls may seem strange for the first few minutes at most.  After that you won't give them a second thought.  Don't let the seeming weirdness of the control scheme keep you from this great game.
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2004, 08:33:07 PM »

Is that all the jump move is for?  Getting a better view?
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2004, 09:10:33 PM »

Quote from: "Laner"
Is that all the jump move is for?  Getting a better view?
AFAIK, yup.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2004, 07:14:41 AM »

Thanks for the replies.  I got it today, and I'm glad I did.  The controls work fine, and the game is a blast.  Unfortunately, I got one of the "bad" ones that have an error, so it chugs my PS2 and takes over a minute to load.  I'm exchanging it at Best Buy tomorrow and hoping the other copy they have works.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2004, 01:30:09 PM »

Eddie,

What do you mean ... "one of the bad ones"? I just got one of the new PS2's yesterday, and was thinking of getting this game.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2004, 06:46:52 PM »

From reading this thread at GameFAQs, it looks like there was a manufacturing defect with some of the CDs.  I can see the defect by looking at the CD, and it causes the PS2 to chug and whir and makes load time increase to one or more minutes, when they should be 5-10 seconds.  I don't know how many bad ones were made, but it looks like most people's work fine.

Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2004, 05:16:01 AM »

Ok, well I got it today. Just one thing to say ....

WTF?! Tongue  

This is perhaps the most bizarre game I've ever played, but it still looks like it could be fun!
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2004, 05:50:12 AM »

Fortunately, the replacement I got from Best Buy works fine.

I'm really glad I didn't miss this game.  It's absurdly addicting.  There's so many ways to play - either going for time, trying to get the biggest katamari, or trying to pick up rare objects.  It seems more like a big sandbox than a game.  Every time I finish a level, I can't wait to play it again to get a faster time, or pick up an object that's just a little too big to pick up.

depward

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2004, 06:02:36 AM »

Picked this up today:

Wow.  I love quirky games.  And I thought Gitarro Man was weird . . .

So far I'm loving it.  Great little pick-up, especially for $20!  You can't go wrong with that price

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2004, 04:19:53 PM »

I got it yesterday along with my slimline pstwo.  The only thing I still have trouble with is the up/down turning, insofar as remembering which stick to press up and down for what direction I want to turn.  I always end up turning the wrong way.  But other than that, I don't see any big problem with the controls.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: