http://gamingtrend.com
August 30, 2014, 12:29:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Just won Vampire Bloodlines and... (*minor spoilers*)  (Read 2316 times)
JCC
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: January 19, 2005, 04:00:29 AM »

I had to use god mode to do it. What a total disaster this game is. Despite its myriad of technical problems and flaws, I loved the first half or so of this game. Yes, the clunky combat, piss poor framerate, and graphical/sound glitches were maddening, but WOW, the game was teriffic. Great writing, awesome quests with multiple solutions, a fascinating universe, and multiple methods of playing the game and molding your character. Sure there were no moving cars in the city, along with tons of other minor problems that indicated them running out of time. But I was having so much fun, I didn't care. Great RPG goodness until...

... the 2nd half of the game. It's COMBAT COMBAT COMBAT COMBAT COMBAT COMBAT COMBAT COMBAT COMBAT COMBAT and nothing but COMBAT. Wow, it is so clear that this game didn't get properly finished. All the hordes and hordes of enemies you had to kill... it just became excruciating. Of course all these massive battles dragged my frame rate to around 2fps, which is why I finally relented and turned on god mode. I was getting more and more disgusted with the game by the minute, but I had invested so much time, I had to see at least ONE of the endings. It's really a shame. Troika clearly has great game ideas and designers, but they just CAN'T get the technical side right, and/or they constantly get pushed to release too early. A shame.

I hope Troika gets it right some day, cause that would truly be something. Until then, Vampire Bloodlines, starts off as a flawed masterpiece, but descends into dreck....

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2005, 04:09:16 AM »

You won?

What did you get?
Sepiche

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2005, 05:07:14 PM »

I can agree with that.  It's painful when I look at all the amazing and impressive thing they managed to get into the game, but I hit a point in the game and at that point I simply lost interest in finishing it up.  Perhaps I'll go back at some point and see it through, but yeah, I'd have to agree this is yet *another* flawed materpiece to Triokas credit.

It's painful that they get so much closer to perfect with each game and then fall short.

s

And when he had failed to find these boons in things whose laws are known and measurable, they told him he lacked imagination, and was immature because he preferred dream-illusions to the illusions of our physical creation
Beer Goggles

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2005, 05:27:45 PM »

I really loved the respawning guards in Ming's Temple.  :roll:
Jon Edwards
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2005, 05:37:53 PM »

I read people's complaints about the later part of the game, but I loved the whole thing. The second half became more linear and combat-oriented, but I still enjoyed it. I liked the story and the combats. My gun-wielding Malkavian was a lot of fun to play.

I guess my experience is atypical. I ran into one or two minor quest bugs, and I think I had one crash. Perfomance on my machine, which is over a year old, wasn't great but passable. I really wish KOTOR 2 on X-Box was as in good shape (god, it's a mess).

I admit that I'm so happy that a game like this is made at all, I was naturally inclined to cut the developer's some slack while playing it. Still, I think Troika did a bang-up job, their best yet.
RightBastard

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2005, 01:45:08 AM »

Hmm...I just finished the game too and I was slightly disappointed by the ending.  I didn't have any problems with slowdown on my machine so I didn't mind the combat heavy second part though Ming Xiao was frustratingly difficult at first.  If I was playing with a controller, I would have thrown it several times over.

But the final levels weren't so bad.

****Minor Spoilerish Section here********

My question is, what the hell does the last bit of the ending mean?  Who the hell was the cabbie?  Can anyone explain this to me?

I am amendable to criticism but only within the sphere of what I am trying to do.
Flannery O'Connor
dangerballs

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2005, 03:04:37 AM »

Quote from: "RightBastard"
Hmm...I just finished the game too and I was slightly disappointed by the ending.  I didn't have any problems with slowdown on my machine so I didn't mind the combat heavy second part though Ming Xiao was frustratingly difficult at first.  If I was playing with a controller, I would have thrown it several times over.

But the final levels weren't so bad.

****Minor Spoilerish Section here********

My question is, what the hell does the last bit of the ending mean?  Who the hell was the cabbie?  Can anyone explain this to me?

The game drops hints about the ending throughout the game.  For example, how does the cabbie know so much about you and how do you become so powerful in just a few nights?  And what is this feeling of doom that everyone is talking about.

If you read between the lines, you'll see that the cabbie is Cain.  And the reason the vampires are feeling antsy is not due to the casket, but to his arrival.  That also leads to the assumption that the reason he is investing so much in you is that he is really your sire, not the no name girl from the beginning.  After all, you never actually see what really happened in the bedroom.  That can be the only explaination for how a new vampire could become as powerful as you are in the end in just a few days.

What's Cooking at Hacienda de Bolas del Peligro?

PC: Tomb Raider | Xbox360: GTA V | PS3: Infamous 2, Ni No Kuni
Elenkis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2005, 04:28:42 AM »

Plus all the cabbie's sound files are in a folder that's named 'Main Characters/Caine' :p

www.giantbomb.com

Go Patriots!
Go Bruins!
RightBastard

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2005, 09:27:26 PM »

Quote from: "Elenkis"
Plus all the cabbie's sound files are in a folder that's named 'Main Characters/Caine' :p

Haha, that's just plain lazy!  It was starting to creep into my head that it might've been Caine but I wasn't fully convinced that maybe I was just missing something obvious.

I'm guessing they're setting it up for an expansion?  Makes me wish now that I hadn't traded it off soon as I beat it.   :x

I am amendable to criticism but only within the sphere of what I am trying to do.
Flannery O'Connor
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2005, 03:51:21 AM »

I'm guessing they're setting it up for an expansion? Makes me wish now that I hadn't traded it off soon as I beat it.

Doubtful.  Troika's supposedly in pretty serious financial trouble and has nothing in the pipeline.
solarisgax
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2005, 12:40:28 AM »

In my opinion, Bloodlines is one of the least combat intensive RPGs I have played in a LONG while.

In fact, I can't name any RPGs with less combat off the top of my head (I am sure there are, if someone can remind me).

The final quests (and the story arc) weren't that great.  I was disappointed by it especially after playing Redemption.

I would welcome another Masquerade game...  Bus stops had signs that almost makes me think they had wanted to do a sequel.
unbreakable
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2005, 12:47:23 AM »

Quote from: "solarisgax"
The final quests (and the story arc) weren't that great.  I was disappointed by it especially after playing Redemption.

So in other words, both VtM games started out good, and you fall into a huge vat of offal in the second half.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2005, 01:07:29 AM »

In my opinion, Bloodlines is one of the least combat intensive RPGs I have played in a LONG while.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

You must not play alot of RPGs.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Jon Edwards
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2005, 07:43:54 AM »

Hm... an interesting question. What RPGs have a played recently that are less combat intensive than VtM: Bloodlines? They've all been pretty combat intensive, but some haved offered more social interaction, exploration, stealth, and puzzle solving than others.  

Overall, I felt I spent a fair amount of time in Bloodlines talking to people, sneaking around, solving simple puzzles, and using skills like persuasion, lock picking, and computer hacking.  Remarkably, I was more invested in my Malkavian character and the characters in the Bloodlines story than I have been in most RPGs. On the other hand, the last quarter to a third was linear and combat intensive, and there wasn't the sense of a wide open world with a lot to explore.

Between KOTOR 1 and Bloodlines, I'd say KOTOR 1 offers more non-combat fun but not vastly more. I'd say Bloodlines had more than KOTOR 2 (and fewer problems too). I'm early in Fable, but my impression so far is that Fable offers more. I think Morrowind has more, as it's a huge wide open world. Lionheart was degenerating into a hack and slash fest when I stopped and was just a mess.  It felt like I was roleplaying more and doing more non-combat activity in Bloodlines than Neverwinter Nights, SoU, and HotU, not to mention Icewind Dale. I'm not sure how I'd compare Bloodlines to Japanese console RPGs like SMT: Nocturne, Final Fantasy X, etc. -- I mostly associate them with combat (with the addition of lots of movies and maybe mini-games).  There's really no comparison if you consider SRPGs like Disgaea and Phantom Brave, hack-and-slash games like Dark Alliance and Champions of Norrath (haven't played Bards Tale),  Dungeon Siege, Sacred, and MMORPGs: they're all about the combat.

So Bloodlines stands up pretty well in my book.
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2005, 10:34:24 PM »

The first half of VTM:B certainly does not have an overabundance of combat. The 2nd half is almost entirely combat centric. Having a lot of combat isn't in and of itself a bad thing for an RPG, but in Vampire's case - where the combat is very clunky and a poor mix of action and stats - coupled with the fact that combat tended to drag my framerate down close to 0 fps - made the 2nd half extremely frustrating for me. (How's that for a run on sentence?!)

I would probably agree that as a whole, VTM:B is below the norm in combat density, but not in the 2nd half or final 3rd of it! smile

-John

Jolor
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2005, 02:01:52 AM »

I wouldn't say that the combat in and of itself is an/the issue.
What I would point out is that, in the first part of the game, combat focus is not a hard requirement to solve various quests ... but by end-game you better have melee or ranged  (depending on your attributes) maxed out to have a snowballs chance.
solarisgax
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2005, 04:30:51 AM »

Quote from: "-Lord Ebonstone-"

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

You must not play alot of RPGs.

Hehehe, yeah LE is right.  I don't play many RPGs.  Here is a picture of what I have near my desk: http://members.cox.net/gwei1/justafew.jpg

I think I may have a few more in the closet, but only a few though...

I traded a couple away too; I think you included. smile
Gryndyl

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2005, 07:10:07 AM »

The title of this thread drives me insane everytime I see it  :?

Twitter: Slush Pile Tweets
Amazon Author Pages: Horror, Humor
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2005, 10:52:36 PM »

Quote from: "Gryndyl"
The title of this thread drives me insane everytime I see it  :?

er... why? Would you like me to rename it?

-John

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: