http://gamingtrend.com
December 22, 2014, 11:26:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Just saw the TeamXbox ingame movies of Gears of War...  (Read 2127 times)
DiamondDecision
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: September 18, 2005, 07:51:02 PM »

BFD.  Seriously.  BFD.

More of the same FPS crap.  Just better graphics.

Is this all there is?

(Here comes the insults...)
(1. You're not a gamer.)
(2. I bet it's because you're buying a PS3.)
(3. etc.)

...and if a PS3 version looked the same or BETTER, I'd feel the same.

This sux people.  Gaming is really in a monstrous rut.
Calvin
Gaming Trend Senior Member

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2005, 08:08:14 PM »

And DD's 360 hating continues. I don't care what console you are or are not getting, virtually every single one of your posts is a bash on the XBox or 360. Come on, think of something new or try harder.
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2005, 08:31:24 PM »

Or try learning something new - it can help when you're in a rut - don't stick with the "same old" - unless you want the "same old!"  For example, I'd never played a Ratchet game, and practically no multiplayer online.  I was "forced" into the new genre by accepting a beta test offer - and did I have a ton of fun.  I know it won't be out for another month, but try Ratchet: Deadlocked as soon as you can - you might be surprised (and that sounds like what you're looking for)...  Tongue

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
DiamondDecision
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2005, 08:34:26 PM »

Maybe there's some truth to this.  Right now, I hate everything.  I'm definitely not getting an Xbox 360 and may not get a PS3 unless I find a game worth having.  Right now, I can't locate one.

Quote from: "mytocles"
Or try learning something new - it can help when you're in a rut - don't stick with the "same old" - unless you want the "same old!"  For example, I'd never played a Ratchet game, and practically no multiplayer online.  I was "forced" into the new genre by accepting a beta test offer - and did I have a ton of fun.  I know it won't be out for another month, but try Ratchet: Deadlocked as soon as you can - you might be surprised (and that sounds like what you're looking for)...  Tongue
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2005, 10:20:48 PM »

Quote from: "DiamondDecision"
Maybe there's some truth to this.  Right now, I hate everything.  I'm definitely not getting an Xbox 360 and may not get a PS3 unless I find a game worth having.  Right now, I can't locate one.

Why are you even wasting your time and money with games and/or reading about them in the first place?  Just pick up a book and be done with the whole thing.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
DiamondDecision
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2005, 10:39:11 PM »

If I don't find something interesting soon, I'm going to take you up on your advice.

I already read a ton and really enjoy that. Maybe gaming is dead for me?

Quote from: "stiffler"

Why are you even wasting your time and money with games and/or reading about them in the first place?  Just pick up a book and be done with the whole thing.
depward

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2005, 11:48:41 PM »

http://xboxmovies.teamxbox.com/xbox-360/2461/Tokyo-Game-Show-2005-Footage-2/

:?

Looks like Kill.Switch v1.4 to me.  Not very impressed with the gameplay footage at TGS.  Perhaps they can clean up that framerate before the retail product?  Pretty choppy at times   :?

But it does look pretty fun nonetheless.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2005, 05:31:27 AM »

Quote from: "Rage"
And DD's 360 hating continues. I don't care what console you are or are not getting, virtually every single one of your posts is a bash on the XBox or 360. Come on, think of something new or try harder.

Oh the irony in this post... slywink

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2005, 05:39:46 AM »

Quote from: "Dimmona"
Quote from: "Rage"

Oh the irony in this post... slywink

I've owned like 4 Nintendo consoles. I have 2700 posts that have nothing to do with hating Nintendo or the assinine decisions they made with the GC and the revolution controller. I like Nintendo first party games. I know what you are getting at, but I don't see the actual irony.  confused
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2005, 11:26:01 AM »

I hope the XBox 360 and PS3 offer some new experiences, but so far its just prettier graphics.  Maybe with more power we'll see some new stuff down the road.

---
XBox Live: ScottW
DiamondDecision
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2005, 11:34:56 AM »

THANK YOU!  That's all I was saying.

Quote from: "Scott"
I hope the XBox 360 and PS3 offer some new experiences,
but so far its just prettier graphics.  Maybe with more power we'll see some new stuff down the road.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2005, 11:43:57 AM »

Looks pretty fun to me....but some of the animations (like when the guy rolls) seemed pretty rough.

Not a must have though.. slywink
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2005, 12:38:55 PM »

THANK YOU! That's all I was saying.

Sure.

I think so many of us have been playing games for a while, that its natural to get sick of the same old things.  So many genre's seem stagnant, like FPS games.  I'm all for prettier graphics, but I want the games to feel fresh too, with different stuff, or new experiences.

---
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2005, 03:39:52 PM »

I hope the XBox 360 and PS3 offer some new experiences, but so far its just prettier graphics.  Maybe with more power we'll see some new stuff down the road.

I doubt we will.  Look at games you fine inovative with new experiences - are they ever the resource hogs?  Usually they are not that graphically intense or needing that much horsepower.

The best examples I can think of are PC games but stuff like Darwinia, Mount and Blade, or Katamari Damacy for the PS2.  They are not held back because of power.

greeneggsnham
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2005, 05:48:55 PM »

Both the 360 and the PS3 look to be more of the same. Lotsa pre-rendered stuff being touted as realtime (like we haven't heard that before)... and, though we may have better HDTV support/framerate and texture/lighting/effect improvements... it's going to be more of the same.

It's sad to say this, but the Revolution (with it's -very- nonstandard controller) is really in the best position to serve up some innovative gameplay in the next generation.

It just remains to been seen if it can deliver on the potential of that idea... or if it's just a gimicky control that doesn't catch on. The video floating around (and yes, I know it's 'concept' footage) looks pretty cool. But is anyone (or specifically, anyone outside of the Nintendo family of developers) going to design any gameplay around it?
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2005, 05:57:56 PM »

Why pick one console when you could probably enjoy 2 or 3.  I learned back in the days of the N64 not to bash one console just because you have a different one.  I had the N64 and I was anti-Playstation for the longest time.  It was stupid, the Playstation was a great console and was in many ways far superior to the N64.  So the only person you are hurting by console bashing is yourself.  Get a life.

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2005, 06:09:32 PM »

Personally I think that new styles of gaming falls on developers rather than the actual console makers.  Sony, MS and Nintendo are all giving great platforms to provide for innovative gameplay, but rarely do developers try to innovate....and this is mostly due to us, the gamers.  Most of the innovative and great games as of late, sold horribly in part because it wasn't standard fare.  Beyond Good and Evil are Psychonauts are two games I can think of recently that provided a great gaming experience and were a breath of fresh air.... yet they sold horribly, so where is the motivation for a developer to try anything beyond what works.
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2005, 06:57:32 PM »

Why pick one console when you could probably enjoy 2 or 3.

I have 400 reasons why I'd probably only buy one of the next consoles, or 300 reasons after the first price drop, etc.  Some of us have less time as well as life (kids) happens smile.

Personally I think that new styles of gaming falls on developers rather than the actual console makers.

Nintendo differs in that opinion thank god, so we may have some unique games next generation.  You're right though in a lot of ways, its the public that buys all the copies that ultimately decides, even if they are pushed along with advertising.

I just think, at some point, spiffier graphics won't matter.  The XBox is pretty good now, in a lot of ways, good enough for much longer.  The jump from XBox to XBox 360 doesn't seem as much as the last generation of consoles, and so far is less appealing.

---
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2005, 07:32:11 PM »

The same lack of innovation could be said about the movie industry too.  Aside from some technical improvements to how we film, edit and show movies, the core technology and concept have basically been the same, yet we still line up and spend millions on movies.  The most successful (revenue generating) movies often are 3rd, 4th and 5th sequels!  

Money and revenue speaks volumes, and until gamers (or movie goers) demand something new by letting their wallets speak for them, sequels and minor improvements to the status quo will be the norm.  Sadly, there are not many production companies out there that are willing to tie up money on risky concepts, which is why you see the indie film industry as the current lab for new movie concepts.

I'd love to see new gaming concepts break out of what seems to be our genre cookie cutter choices of FPS, RPG, MMORPG, adventure, puzzle, sports, racing, sim, RTS, strategy, etc... but someone has to be willing to fund it.  In the meantime, I’ll continue to be one of the gamers that contribute to gaming sameness by buying NCAA 06, Madden 06, Burnout Revenge, an Xbox 360 on launch day, and all the other sequels and titles that look good.  So if you want to blame anyone for your gaming rut, blame me. smile
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2005, 08:10:01 PM »

Quote from: "Roguetad"
... if you want to blame anyone for your gaming rut, blame me. smile

You BASTARD!! ::shakes fist::

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2005, 09:35:48 PM »

You mean to tlel me that you're not interested in Project Gotham Racing 3? Ghost Recon: AW? Or Oblivion?  :shock:

Give it up man, gaming is DEAD to you.

PGR3 is still number one game to buy on the X360 when it is released. Especially since you can design your own courses and race on them on XBLive.

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2005, 10:12:27 PM »

Quote from: "Sparhawk"
You mean to tlel me that you're not interested in Project Gotham Racing 3? Ghost Recon: AW? Or Oblivion?  :shock:

PGR3 is still number one game to buy on the X360 when it is released. Especially since you can design your own courses and race on them on XBLive.

This is what I am saying.
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2005, 11:11:51 PM »

You mean to tlel me that you're not interested in Project Gotham Racing 3? Ghost Recon: AW? Or Oblivion? Shocked

I'll get Oblivion on the PC where I can use user made mods, expansions, and other good stuff.   Hopefully Oblivion will expand beyond Morrowind, besides the graphics.

I've played a bunch of Ghost Recons, so I'm personally not terribly excited about AW.  PGR3 looks like PGR2 w/ nicer graphics, and I doubt it'll be as fun as Burnout Revenge anyway smile.

Kameo Elements of Power looks intriguing at least, so the 360 launch doesn't look like a complete waste.  I'm looking forward to the first game like Grand Theft Auto, a game with a playstyle/size/breadth that couldn't be done on the PS1 or N64.

The same lack of innovation could be said about the movie industry too.

Of course, the movies have Jennifer Connelly, Nicole Kidman, and other stars that make the fanciest next gen games pale in comparison smile.

---
DiamondDecision
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2005, 12:19:44 AM »

1) I will NEVER understand the fascination with racing games.  Never.  If I live to be 920, I'll not understand it.  Racing games are the digital equivilent of watching wood warp.

2) Ghost Recon *might* be fun if they didn't screw it up so badly.  The first version of Ghost Recon on the PC was lotsa fun, but this recent version for the Xbox was scraping the bottom of the barrel.  You were extremely limited where you could go and it was really trial and error to ***figure out how the developers intended you to play the level***.  Sux.

Quote from: "Sparhawk"

DiamondDecision
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2005, 12:21:21 AM »

Of course, the movies have Jennifer Connelly, Nicole Kidman, and other stars that make the fanciest next gen games pale in comparison smile.

Now we're getting somewhere!  :twisted:
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2005, 01:29:48 AM »

1) I will NEVER understand the fascination with racing games.  Never.  If I live to be 920, I'll not understand it.  Racing games are the digital equivilent of watching wood warp.

Huh?  Have you ever played Burnout?  You must have some pretty fucking exciting wood where you are from!!!!  Ok, so many ways you could respond to that.  I'm just "poking" fun...

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2005, 01:47:04 AM »

While I was underwhelmed by Ghost Recon 2, the GR:AW movies I have seen are simply jaw-dropping phenomenal, from the looks of the gameplay to the graphics. I am hoping we won't be dissapointed.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: