http://gamingtrend.com
September 19, 2014, 11:57:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Just recently got a 360 and I need some help. Plz help me! New issue!!!  (Read 2053 times)
Harpua3
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: August 25, 2006, 05:53:58 AM »

Ok, here`s the deal. I got a 360 just a few days ago with graw and a charge and play kit and the warranty icon_wink. I`m just running a wired connection through my router to the 360. Everything seems all good ASIDE from graw dropping me from Live! everytime I go to play the MP. I thought, it did it in the dashboard too, but the more I think about it, I think it`s only dropped me in the MP game (i think icon_lol). It will say "lost connection from xbox Live!" or something like that. Then afterwards it just connects back right up to Live! saywhat I have no other games to test. But the tests all pass on the network test thingy. The tech support I spoke with had me set up a dmz on my router for just the 360, but no such luck. I can download the hell out of demos etc all fine (infact I got the dead rising demo and it seemed very fast), but the MP in this game...

So, any ideas? Anyone have issues like this? I`m sure I`m forgetting some details, but it`s late so... I`ll check back soon enough to see what you guys think and I`m sure I`ll remember some details. Thanks.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2006, 03:53:23 AM by Harpua3 » Logged
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2006, 07:30:50 AM »

Hrm, could be a problem connecting to specific people in GRAW.

I know that I have a HELL of a time connecting with Calvin in NCAA / Madden.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2006, 07:57:43 AM »

I thought it was late earlier... eek

Anywho, it seems to be anyone...any game I join...ick. I`m going to continue the search for answers. Thanks for the suggestion though, and keep `em coming icon_wink.
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2006, 09:00:01 AM »

And now after I just stayed up all night looking into this...Still nothing.  finger

I`m sure I`ll figure it out...eventually...with your help guys! nod
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2006, 11:01:36 AM »

Is it saying something about an update being required to sign on for GRAW or did it already do that?

The first time my 360 said it had to update a game I spent twenty minutes trying to get it to actually download the update. It would disconnect me from live right after it told me I need to update, and then it couldn't download said update.

It drove me nuts. As it turned out the solution was to just sit and wait a minute after the disconnection and then tell it to do the update and it seemed to work fine.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2006, 12:44:28 PM »

download the texas holdem game NOW (its free until later today, IIRC).

Then try multiplayer there.

Or rent another multiplayer game and try it. Is it isolated to GRAW or to your system?

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2006, 01:19:15 PM »

Quote from: Harpua3 on August 25, 2006, 07:57:43 AM

I thought it was late earlier... eek

Anywho, it seems to be anyone...any game I join...ick. I`m going to continue the search for answers. Thanks for the suggestion though, and keep `em coming icon_wink.

I am not sure I can help you, but it sounds like you have a problem very mcuh like mine. Pretty much anytime I connect to a Live game, or enter private voice chat and then enter a game, or sometimes just playing singleplayer-my 360 is going to disconnect from XBox Live. Sometimes just randomly when I start up, sometimes when trying to connect to game, sometimes while playing. It just will-its a matter of time. GRAW was a particulary bad offender come to think of it.  Either way, I have NEVER been able to find a solution-so if you do please let me know. In my honest opinion I think our 360's are faulty, just one of the small minority of messed up systems. I am going to get a new one one way or the other very soon. It has become almost prohibitive to try to play.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2006, 01:53:00 PM »

You said it passed all the network tests, I assume also your NAT says open?  or does it say moderate or strict, this can have an effect.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2006, 01:57:36 PM »

Connect your 360 directly to your modem, ie, bypass your router entirely.

Try playing then.  If it doesn't work, it's a problem with some combination of your modem, your 360, your ISP, and/or XBox Live.

If it works, well, the 360 hates your router.

My brother's 360 is connected to a router which serves two other computers on top of the 360.  Chromehounds will sometimes thrash and whine and cause drops from XBL, but it's not in any kind of pattern or frequency that would suggest a problem.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2006, 02:07:50 PM »

Quote from: -Lord Ebonstone- on August 25, 2006, 01:57:36 PM

Try playing then.  If it doesn't work, it's a problem with some combination of your modem, your 360, your ISP, and/or XBox Live.

My brother's 360 is connected to a router which serves two other computers on top of the 360.  Chromehounds will sometimes thrash and whine and cause drops from XBL, but it's not in any kind of pattern or frequency that would suggest a problem.

I have tried all of the above, and now on a second, completely different ISP, a different router, and a different modem (moved). For me, I am positive its the 360 itself, not any of the combinations you listed above.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2006, 03:32:50 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on August 25, 2006, 02:07:50 PM

I have tried all of the above, and now on a second, completely different ISP, a different router, and a different modem (moved). For me, I am positive its the 360 itself, not any of the combinations you listed above.
Then yes, I think it's safe to say it's a problem either with your 360 or with XBL itself.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
pingwrx

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2006, 10:32:52 PM »

I had that same problem with graw everytime I logged on to multi it would disco me from live after I forwarded my ports and upgraded my routers firmware no problems.

XBL gamertag: pingwrx
PS3-PS4 pingwrx
Interloper

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2006, 11:18:30 PM »

I also have horrendous problems with MP on the 360.  I can connect to the marketplace and download stuff no prob, but once I try a MP game most of the time it says "unable to establish connection" or somesuch thing.  I ran the tests, they come out fine.  I've all but given on playing MP on the 360   icon_evil

I am behind a router, and I wonder if that's the problem.  How does one "forward the ports"?

pingwrx

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2006, 11:57:13 PM »

Arkon gave me a link  to fix my ports hopefully he checks this thead so maybe he could help you out I can't seem to find it :icon_sad:

PS3-PS4 pingwrx
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2006, 12:59:50 AM »

Arkon you are needed. That is the only thing I haven't tried.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2006, 01:01:31 AM »

Just a wild stab in the dark...you did set up a Live Gold account, right?  With the free silver you can still download demos and use the marketplace but you can't play multiplayer games.  Setting up your Live account and registering your system online should net you a free month of Gold, so I would assume you did that but figured it's one more thing to check.  

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2006, 03:29:01 AM »

Go to this website:

http://www.portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/routerindex.htm

Find your router number in the listing, and then click on Xbox Live 360 in the "game" list.

It will give you step by step instructions, sometimes even with pictures, on what to do to get your ports forwarded.

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2006, 10:38:35 PM »

• Try directly to the cable modem (just in testing) to identify it.  360 <---->DSL / Cable Modem <-----> Intarweeb.
  • Some ISPs have been identified as having problems with Live (such as MTS here in manitoba). Check with them or at least their FAQs
  • TURN OFF uPnP on your router. That does 16 different shades of fucked up to network operability.
  • http://www.portforward.com is an awesome resource for config questions.

If you want feedback on config; please post your info on who you connect through, your hardware and you lan setup. biggrin
« Last Edit: August 26, 2006, 10:41:57 PM by Purge » Logged

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2006, 08:19:28 PM »

Sorry I took so long to respond. You nailed it. I removed the router out of the picture and all good! icon_biggrin So, I wonder if that is the same fix for you Calvin. What`s your setup like? I`ll check back sooner this time, and thx for the help guys. I thought it might be that but since the router is on the xbox360 compatible list...and it worked fine with my original xbox... saywhat. So who knows. I`m looking into updating my router too, even though the firmware updates disappeared from dlinks site...any ideas there?
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2006, 08:23:39 PM »

Quote from: Harpua3 on August 27, 2006, 08:19:28 PM

Sorry I took so long to respond. You nailed it. I removed the router out of the picture and all good! icon_biggrin So, I wonder if that is the same fix for you Calvin. What`s your setup like? I`ll check back sooner this time, and thx for the help guys. I thought it might be that but since the router is on the xbox360 compatible list...and it worked fine with my original xbox... saywhat. So who knows. I`m looking into updating my router too, even though the firmware updates disappeared from dlinks site...any ideas there?

Make sure you have port forwarding set up on the router and have the 360 set to a static IP, the router most likely will be fine then.
pingwrx

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2006, 08:29:40 PM »

Quote from: Harpua3 on August 27, 2006, 08:19:28 PM

What dlink router model do you have mine is the DI-604 I believe.

PS3-PS4 pingwrx
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2006, 10:09:02 PM »

Arkon's tips have made my multiplayer disconnecting considerably better. I have not had a single random disconnect since he helped me out-however, my crashes continue frown
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2006, 01:36:19 PM »

Turn off the uPnP function on the router. then retry the connection through it.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2006, 01:41:17 PM by Purge » Logged

Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2006, 08:47:05 PM »

Ok, once more...sorry about the long time in between posts. Since I have no working router setup I have to do the switchy plug thing disgust, and since Oblivion ABSOLUTELY ROCKS!!! thumbsup nod Tongue, I haven`t been using the PC much recently (my poor WOW account icon_frown). But...I did try all of the above listed and still no dice. So I called tech for DLINK, and get this. Even though it was supported when I bought and worked with the original XBox, the DI-604, my revision at least, is no longer supported for Xbox Live!, and they pulled the firmware updates of off their website for it. So..............................I did want a wireless router for my DS anyways. I was thinking of just grabbing one of those and continuing to run my PC and console wired and the DS (obviously) wirelessly. Any suggestions? I *might* go out tonight and look and/or pick one up. So, let me have it. ? ? ?

And, BTW I`m looking at the linksys models as we speak. I obviously want this to work for the DS and Live!
« Last Edit: August 31, 2006, 08:54:11 PM by Harpua3 » Logged
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2006, 09:11:32 PM »

use ebay to find the wireless adapter if you're planning on getting the 360 one. I have it, it rocks, but they charge too much for it.

Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2006, 09:13:01 PM »

No, I`m going to run everything BUT the DS still wired. I already have the cable setup and whatnot. But thanks for the advice, maybe in the future I will. So any wireless router suggestions?
Interloper

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2006, 09:27:42 PM »

Quote from: pingwrx

What dlink router model do you have mine is the DI-604 I believe.

That's the same one I have. I bought it after seeing it was specifically supposed to be "360 compatible".   I'm going to try and see if I can port forward it tonight.

pingwrx

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2006, 10:20:56 PM »

you should have no problems after I forwarded my ports xboxlive works like a charm.

PS3-PS4 pingwrx
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2006, 10:37:06 PM »

Mine is an old revision. A, I believe.
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2006, 03:58:08 AM »

Here`s the deal now. I just got a linksys router, the wrt54gc, er or something like that :slywink:. It works great for my DS, 360 and PC so far. But, and this happened before the router so it`s not the issue, my dashboard and my pgr3 were locking up. It also said it couldn`t play some of my music... After I deleted all of the music it hasn`t done it since  paranoid. I "ripped" ,as the dashboard calls it, some music onto it off of some old cd-r stuff. They myight be crappy but...do you think it is the disks, or maybe the system or the harddrive? It was fine until I put on the music is seems, and since I took it off it seems fine paranoid. Any ideas. I picked up a memory card to be safe.
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2006, 08:34:24 AM »

For those of you who have not just spent a fortune on routers or can return them, here is one more suggestion.  I was having no trouble with XB live, but Playonline for FFXI is a royal Queen Mum up the wazoo. Many folks would get disconned for PO but still be on Live. After one major system upgrade of PO and FFXI, i could no longer use my laptop (wireless) at the same time as playing the game.  I was disconnected, repeatedly, if i did so, after the upgrade.  We reset our router configs and it helped some, but didn't solve the problem.

Here is what did work:  we bought a highly recommended "Gaming Router" from D-Link... which supplies more ... um "whatever" to the XBox than to the wireless pc's and laptops.  I can get the model number in the morning as it is downstairs and everyone is asleep but me, lol.  It's called something like the Gaming Lounge, pretty sure "Lounge" of some sort.

End result, all problems solved, no lack of "juice" to the laptop, no discons from Live or PO, and can use everything - wired or wireless - in the house with no difficulties at all.  Finally...  icon_cool

GOOD LUCK!!!

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2006, 04:58:59 AM »

I did look at that, but like I said the linksys one did the trick for me. Now just the other issue...any ideas?
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2006, 06:38:38 AM »

Someone help...before I cry like a baby crybaby...Just kiddin` about the crying. Any ideas though?
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 06, 2006, 06:43:14 AM »

Quote from: Harpua3 on September 06, 2006, 06:38:38 AM

Someone help...before I cry like a baby crybaby...Just kiddin` about the crying. Any ideas though?

Did you try the port forwarding settings?

Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2006, 08:53:25 AM »

Hehe. Miscommunication icon_lol. The router is GREAT, no issues with it now. The current issue is when I "ripped" music on the HDD and played it. It locked up the system in PGR3 and in the dashboard. Since I deleted the music, it *seems* fine. I haven`t had lots of time to be on recently, so only time will prove. I did buy the warranty from EB, and it`s only been a few weeks since I got it. Just everything else seems to working great. The CDs I "ripped" on the 360 were old, kinda crappy cdrs, but the original xbox never had an issue with that, to my knowledge. Could that be it? Or the Harddrive? Just curious. I wanna get this squared away soon that`s all. I did grab that memory card just in case like I said... disgust
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2006, 05:07:42 AM »

Ok, it looks like the 360 HATED those old cd-rs. After more music was put on and "tested", so far so good. And I "tested" quite a bit, so...So I guess watch out while putting some crappy cdrs on your 360 :icon_eek: And I`m loving the router so far as well, the new one that is Tongue.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: