http://gamingtrend.com
November 24, 2014, 08:39:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Just preordered the Xbox 360!  (Read 3523 times)
Hetz
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: May 14, 2005, 10:20:44 PM »

Gamestops are now taking preorders for the system for $50 down. The manager said I was smart to put down money now, since he just got an email this morning from his District Manager stating that 1/3 of their districts inital allocation for the first day had already been reserved.

I learned my lession with the PS2 and having to wait all night in front of Best Buy to get one. People, preorder this thing early if you want one. When it launches in October/November, I have a feeling it is going to be VERY hard to get one.

I'd put the preorder in before E3 when the preorders really heat up.

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2005, 10:33:20 PM »

I preordered one today as well, from EB though (only $20 down).

I went to pick up the logitech psp case and saw that they were taking preorders and couldn't resist.  

I can't wait!

Wake up.
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2005, 10:35:37 PM »

What happens if the Gamestop/EBGames near you closes down?  There are a ton of Gamestop + EBGame combos in my area that are each on the same block - after the merger, I'm guessing half of one or the other are going to be shutdown.

That said, I think I'll probably do an early preorder but I'd really like to wait and see if they add any 'incentives' for preorders - like a special gold faceplate or some crap like that.

Anyone know of any retailers who are offering early incentives?

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2005, 10:41:42 PM »

Weren't they promising something like 3 million units before the holidays?  If they have 3 million preorders before launch, Sony and Nintendo are in trouble.

Cheers,
Hrothgar
Live gamertag & PSN name: HrothgarGG
I'm updating my website again.

"No, not alone."  -- War, Darksiders
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2005, 10:46:59 PM »

I learned my lession with the PS2 and having to wait all night in front of Best Buy to get one. People, preorder this thing early if you want one. When it launches in October/November, I have a feeling it is going to be VERY hard to get one.

Didn't everyone say the same thing about the PSP?  

PS2 was notoriously supply limited- they only shipped something like 300-400k at launch.  Everything I've read is that MS is going for a massive launch (in multi-millions as Hrothgar says) so I'm not too worried about preordering this far out.  They'll probably sell out through Christmas but I'd be surprised if its the first day.

For comparison- Halo 2 sold 2.5 million units its first day.  I'm having a hard time believing a $300 console will outsell a $50 game in one day.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2005, 11:11:56 PM »

I put my preorder down on Friday, and I'm the first on my store's list.

I wouldn't worry about the EB/Gamestop you preordered from closing down.  When the merger goes through, it's not like you'll suddenly see stores closing left and right.  Most stores have multi-year leases, and there's serious penalties for pulling out of them.  Areas that have both near each other may eventually see one close, but definitely not before the 360 launches.

As for preordering it, if you're planning on getting one, then order it.  If there's plenty, then you get one.  If there's a shortage, then you get one.  Even if I was on the fence, I'd be ordering one in case I decided to get it, and cancelling if I decided I didn't.

Also, EB is taking orders for $50 (they moved it up from the $20 they were originally at).  Supposedly, the limit for right now is 28 per store until we get more info on allocation.

FlyingElvis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2005, 11:13:48 PM »

Do these pre-orders allow you to buy just hardware? No bundles? I'll put the $50 down today if I know I can just buy the box.

Now playing: Oblivion, X3: The Reunion
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2005, 12:16:45 AM »

I have a feeling the mandatory hardware bundles are behind us.  For the last two hardware launches, the DS and PSP, EB (or at least in my region) wasn't forcing bundles.  Hopefully they figured out from the PS2/XB/GC launch that bundles just piss everyone off.  As of right now, we haven't heard anything about bundles, price, or date.

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2005, 12:24:53 AM »

IN!

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2005, 04:51:22 AM »

Once I know a real price, i'm there at ebgames the next day. Although camping out for the ps2 was quite fun. I'd rather know I'm guranteed.
Shifter
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2005, 05:07:16 AM »

Going tommorow to pre-order.  Spoke to my local EB on the phone and they said it's $20 down, $50 after Monday.  Although they aren't guaranteeing a system at launch, they said since there were only 30 or so pre-orders I would get one.

Guess we'll have to wait and see about pricing and bundles.
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2005, 07:33:58 AM »

Quote from: "Shifter"
Although they aren't guaranteeing a system at launch, they said since there were only 30 or so pre-orders I would get one.

Huh?  Why pre-order if you aren't guaranteed a system?  Isn't that kind of the whole point of the pre-order?  It's the same thing with Best Buy and their exciting new pre-order deal.  Sure, you can loan the company some money, but you don't actually get anything for the privilege.  I just don't get it.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2005, 12:05:53 PM »

Quote from: "stiffler"
Quote from: "Shifter"
Although they aren't guaranteeing a system at launch, they said since there were only 30 or so pre-orders I would get one.

Huh?  Why pre-order if you aren't guaranteed a system?  Isn't that kind of the whole point of the pre-order?  It's the same thing with Best Buy and their exciting new pre-order deal.  Sure, you can loan the company some money, but you don't actually get anything for the privilege.  I just don't get it.

Well since his store already has 30 preorders, they can't guarantee anything. The large Best Buy near me only had 50 PS2's on launch day. I don't blame EB for being a little cautious once they have over 20 preorders, since they probabily have no clue about the real # they are getting.

I've heard rumors on the IGN board saying each store will get at least 28 systems on launch day, but those are preliminary numbers from Microsoft and they could go up or down.

Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2005, 12:54:43 PM »

The 28 per store number isn't from MS.  It's a company projection based on an estimate of how many the company as a whole might get on launch day, divided evenly among all the stores, which comes out to 28 per store.  That number is just until MS gives out actual launch day numbers.

Shifter
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2005, 04:08:37 PM »

Huh? Why pre-order if you aren't guaranteed a system? Isn't that kind of the whole point of the pre-order? It's the same thing with Best Buy and their exciting new pre-order deal. Sure, you can loan the company some money, but you don't actually get anything for the privilege. I just don't get it.

Just like Hetz said.

It's more of a policy, something they must say, a pre-caution.  According to the EB employees in my local EB they say this because they don't know how many systems they will have at launch per store, to early to tell.  If by some chance they end up with 10 (there expecting 200) I wouldn't get one but the chances of that happening are slim (and they say so).  But I am on the list, which is kept in order by pre-order date.  If I don't get one on launch day, I would get one shortly after without waiting, possibly a few months.  

It's also $20 I put down, so I'm really not loaning them too much.

The Best Buy deal is crap.[
Old Negus

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2005, 05:10:45 PM »

I'll wait a year to buy (like I did with the first Xbox). I'll still have 10-20 games I'll need to finish (and start). With all the hooplah around launch, it'll be tough to hold back and not buy one. But my clue that it's time to buy is usually the first price drop. Then the urge is just too overwhelming.

Hmm, maybe I'll put that holiday money into an HDTV so I can get full use of the old Xbox.
Yossarian
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2005, 05:48:09 PM »

way too early to preorder.

Now playing Star Trek Tactical Assault, Poker
ChaoZ

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2005, 06:08:34 PM »

Yeah, I probably won't buy a launch system either.  Experience says to wait at least a year for several revisions to come out (and for launch games to drop 1/2 its initial price.)
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2005, 08:17:29 PM »

Put my preorder down today.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2005, 09:13:56 PM »

Slapped down my 50 today.  The guy (a regular employee) wasn't even sure what to put it under at first, so I'm guessing there hasn't been a rush at my local one yet.  I may see if I can get 2 and try ebaying one in case there is a shortage ala PS2.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2005, 09:17:57 PM »

Me too waiting to preorder.  Way to many games yet to play on this generation.  There are close to 600 Xbox games now and even if you throw out the 60% that are utter crap that still leaves 50-75 I have yet to try, well enough play through.  Now, if the new system is back compat then I will definitely get one, but I will still not preorder for at least 3 months.  I like my money in my bank, not theirs.  And if I wait to long to get on on launch, then oh well, I will get one a month later or something.  

But I am psyched for sure for what's ahead.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2005, 12:43:30 AM »

way too early to preorder

No, you're wrong - way too late!  I'm #4 on my local EB's list (Damn Chaz and his stinking co-workers :evil:).  

Even if Oblivion isn't a launch title, it could come out a few months later - and I'm not taking a chance on a shortage then!  But, I'm an addict... more power to those who aren't! :wink:

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
Cleric7

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2005, 10:16:38 AM »

Quote from: "Arkon"
Put my preorder down today.

ditto

"All that is necessary for evil to flourish is for good people to do nothing."
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2005, 04:59:26 PM »

Preordered TWO Xbox 360's today!  One for me and one for my son!  And I already paid mine off.  Actually, I put $300 down for mine so I might owe a little more.  I figured that while I have the money now and before I lose my job I might as well. biggrin

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2005, 05:41:49 PM »

Yikes.  The launch titles do nothing for me, other than Perfect Dark Zero, and I can't buy a system just for one game.  

I think I'll wait.

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2005, 05:59:07 PM »

Quote from: "pr0ner"
Yikes.  The launch titles do nothing for me, other than Perfect Dark Zero, and I can't buy a system just for one game.  

I think I'll wait.

Yes, I know what you mean pr0ner but for me I already knew that I would be buying an Xbox 360, a PS3, and a Nintendo Revolution anyway.  So these things have already been figured into my budget - launch titles or not because you know, sooner or later, those games will be coming!

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2005, 11:29:44 PM »

Pre-ordered mine today for $50 at EB.  They told me they could only guarantee 22 systems at launch...I'm #8 I guess.  I'm sure that number will grow, but who knows.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2005, 03:03:57 AM »

*cough*

Now don't some of you wish you would have listened to me back on May 14th??

Cool

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2005, 04:35:09 AM »

Quote from: "Hetz"
*cough*

Cool

<cough>Oblivion<cough><cough>

Tongue  :lol:

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2005, 05:04:48 AM »

Quote from: "CeeKay"
*cough*

Cool

<cough>Oblivion<cough><cough>

Tongue  :lol:

I think you mean <choke> slywink

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2005, 12:22:32 PM »

Hey, it's not my fault Bethesda has HORRIBLE time management skills and that their head of PR is a masterful liar! I mean, Pete was pretty damn convincing at X05 when he said they were in the "final stages of tweaking and polishing" and would "be out at launch". Hell he even told EGM that they were "guaranteed" to be out on launch day.

Tongue

Also, you know it's funny, that when ever I walk into Best Buy or WalMart and check the Xbox display they have huge signs that say coming November that has Oblivion along with PGR3, Kameo, Perfect Dark Zero and Madden. They obviously intended Oblivion to be a major part of their launch lineup.

Oops! But hey, those billboards sure look damn good, huh Kathode!    :twisted:

mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2005, 07:16:21 PM »

Hey, it's not my fault Bethesda has HORRIBLE time management skills and that their head of PR is a masterful liar!

Okay, I'm as guilty as you for hoping - but shouldn't we have realized that these two conditions were already in place (Kathode excepted, but of course!:P)  :?:

Maybe, I'm just a little bit guiltier than anyone else for still hoping... what if all this delay talk is a hoax... what if it's meant to build the frenzy... what if it's all just to surprise us all... what if it's a government plot to make political gamers be thrown into insane asylums? :shock:  ninja

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2005, 08:09:22 PM »

Hey, it's not my fault Bethesda has HORRIBLE time management skills and that their head of PR is a masterful liar! I mean, Pete was pretty damn convincing at X05 when he said they were in the "final stages of tweaking and polishing" and would "be out at launch". Hell he even told EGM that they were "guaranteed" to be out on launch day.

Tongue

Also, you know it's funny, that when ever I walk into Best Buy or WalMart and check the Xbox display they have huge signs that say coming November that has Oblivion along with PGR3, Kameo, Perfect Dark Zero and Madden. They obviously intended Oblivion to be a major part of their launch lineup.

Oops! But hey, those billboards sure look damn good, huh Kathode!    :twisted:

Is this your first game delay ever Hetz?

No? Ok then, stop acting like it is and grow up about it. Enough. We've heard this all before. The smilies do nothing to convince anyone that you are joking. You are pissed. Fine. Get over it, no one owes you or I anything here. Lets enjoy your new copy of Kameo or somethign and stop revisiting this.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: