http://gamingtrend.com
April 17, 2014, 10:18:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Just played the God of War demo-O M G !!!!!!!!  (Read 1841 times)
mikeg
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: February 06, 2005, 01:16:45 AM »

What a mega epic game.  The overall cinematic and theatrical appeal of this game is off the charts.  And the action is way way over the top.  This is the action game I have been waiting for for a long long time.  I love how you can so easily string the combos together and pull off the most incredible actions.  In this one level there must be like 3-4 boss fights.  And what a boss.  A 5 story 3 headed hydra!  As good as Ninja Gaiden is and as much as I want to love it, this one fits me like a glove in the action department and has a much more epic feel to it.  

This one has shot to top of my want list.  I can see playing this over and over and over just to try multiple techniques at taking out the bad guys.  

One thing I particular like, and you can see in the trailers and whatnot, is the great camera angles.  It is the same sense of scale and depth that I liked about Dungeon Siege.  You know when you are looking down on some bridge and the chasm beneath seems to go on forever.  That scale is all over this game in spades.  And the idea of fighting all of the monsters from greek mythology really appeals to me since those stories I read as a very young teenager are what sparked my life-long interest in this crazy world of fantasy and sci fi and the otherworldly that I am sure lead me to games.

I can't wait for this one.  The end of March can't come soon enough.

I better stop.  I'm gushing.  Rez 4 on my Cube, this on my PS2, and soon  many on my Xbox.  What a great gaming time it is.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2005, 01:21:08 AM »

Where the heck did you get a demo for this badboy?  You have me salivating...

TheMissingLink on PSN
meeeeeeoooooow on XBL
3952-7039-1345 on 3DS
addybojangles on GameCenter
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2005, 03:28:54 AM »

Pretty rousing preview of the title.  I'm looking forward to the game myself.  I'm not sure why it didn't get more attention at E3 but I think it will now that we are past the crazy holiday season.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Ascendent

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2005, 07:46:02 AM »

I got my copy in the mail. Guess I should give it a shot.

Ascendent
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2005, 02:17:46 PM »

I got one too.  I'll try it this morning.
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2005, 03:40:21 PM »

OH.  MY.  GOD.

That's all I really need to say.  Dayamn.
Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2005, 04:10:34 PM »

Well sonova... Guess I need to keep my eye on this title, then.

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2005, 04:16:15 PM »

It's gorgeous.  The sound rocks.  The combat is fast and insane.  The only -awkward- thing was triggering the magic (directional button + L2).  Everything else was very very fluid.
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2005, 04:17:13 PM »

I got the demo at Eb for a $5 preorder of the game.  Worth every penny.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2005, 02:15:03 AM »

Yeah, I pretty much agree with all the previous posters.  The animations are really nice, and the controls are tight.  After finishing the demo, I felt like I did after my first hour of Ninja Gaiden.  I got hit way more than I should have, and did a ton of button mashing.  I know there's combos and a method to the madness, but for the moment, I was just whacking buttons.  As I got farther in, I started picking up on what led into what, and did better, and by the time I was at the end, I was figuring out the boss patterns too.

One thing that I liked (once I figured it out), was the way they work some of the boss encounters.  For example, the first mini-boss is one of the hydra heads in a ship corridor.  You can beat the hell out of it, and eventually it falls unconscious, and your first thought is to keep beating the hell out of it, which doesn't work because it regenerates.  The next time, you notice the flashing circle on the screen and hit the circle button, at which point your guy uses his swords to grab the hydra and slam him into the wall.  He then promptly bites you.  The next time, you notice that after hitting circle, a triangle flashes, and when you hit that, you grab the ceiling and flip over him when he tries to bite.  Another button pops up, and you hit it, leading to another cool move.  

In all, there's about six button presses in the sequence.  If you hit them all, you kill the head in an impressive acrobatic display of violence.  If you miss one, you do it again.  However, there's a generous amount of time to hit the next button, and my only problem came with not having the buttons memorized (stupid Sony, why can't you use letters like big boys?)  There were a few of those button sequences in the demo, as well as some light puzzling with the other bosses.

So yeah, check the demo out if you have a chance.   I'm definitely picking this one up.  It's about time my PS2 got some use.

TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2005, 03:23:27 AM »

Holy monkey, that sounds like a blast!

TheMissingLink on PSN
meeeeeeoooooow on XBL
3952-7039-1345 on 3DS
addybojangles on GameCenter
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2005, 04:10:17 PM »

IN!

It's very Ninja Gaidenesque.

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2005, 04:13:52 PM »

It's very Ninja Gaidenesque.

What? It is? If that's the case, please allow me to borrow you're catchphrase:

IN!
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2005, 07:05:43 PM »

one of those i'll give a look at when i can find a demo.  thanks for the info everyone.

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2005, 09:05:58 PM »

Quote from: "Caine"
one of those i'll give a look at when i can find a demo.  thanks for the info everyone.

played it on the demo machine at the local gamestop, pretty cool arcade action.. I'm not sure I'm gonna mess my pants over it like some here, but definitely entertaining.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2005, 09:15:33 PM »

I got it this weekend myself, I'm really stoked too!  I am looking forward to the final...

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2005, 11:16:21 PM »

Consider my pants messed.  I loved it.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2005, 04:18:26 PM »

Plunked down a pre-order a couple of days ago and finally tried the demo last night. I'm impressed. I liked how the demo level had a nice mix of action, platforming, and adventure elements. Combat was fun, and I enjoyed the final boss fight quite a bit (although it took me a while to catch on to what I was supposed to do).

I also was impressed with the game's production values. The game looks good in progressive scan, and, just as importantly, it also support widescreen! Art design is nice without being too over the top and I was really impressed with the use of colors to set the mood. I also really liked the music.

I hope the entire game maintains the same mix of elements and doesn't devolve into a beat-em-up.  About the only complaint I have is that the demo level seemed to be a bit on the easy side, but I'm hoping that's just because it's the tutorial level. Maybe the full game will have multiple difficulty settings.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: