http://gamingtrend.com
April 17, 2014, 03:52:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Just got a DS - slightly late to the party?  (Read 1338 times)
Huw the Poo
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Please feed dog

View Profile
« on: October 20, 2009, 08:17:28 PM »

We've wanted a DS for years but never got around to buying one.  But since it's my girlfriend's birthday next week I thought I'd treat myself her.  So...questions!

1. What things in general should I know about it?  You know, like if it was a 360 you'd be telling me to install games whenever I had the space and to expect it to die in a short time.  What do I need to know about the DS that probably isn't in the manual?

2. My girlfriend likes puzzle games, adventure games and RPGs.  What does she need?

3. I like...well, whatever would be the DS equivalent of the AAA games on other consoles, like Gears of War and Halo and all that.  What do I need?

Cheers, m'dears!

Oh, by the way - does the DS support WPA2?

Resident anti-Steam troll
Steam profile
warning

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2009, 08:35:43 PM »

For puzzle games the Professor Layton games (there are two out here) are very well-received.

For adventure games I think the Phoenix Wright games are a great place to start.

For RPG's there are... a lot of them.  Hard to give specific recommendations.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2009, 08:35:53 PM »

1) Nothing, really. You might consider a screen protector if it will be used a lot. I suggest Hori brand (google it).

2) Puzzle Quest seems like a good choice. There are TONS of RPGs--a bit more info would be helpful. For adventure games, the Phoenix Wright series (goofy humor with Japanese flavor) or Hotel Dusk for something more serious in tone.

3) Depending on what you like, Mario Kart, Legend of Zelda, Rhythm Heaven, Elite Beat Agents, any of the Castlevanias, Animal Crossing, Professor Layton, etc. literally dozens to choose from.

I think DSi can do WPA2. IIRC, DS Lite can't. Not positive on this.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2009, 09:02:23 PM »

Cool, thanks for the recommendations so far.  She likes the more Final Fantasy style of RPG.  She likes some kind of plot but at the same time a big open world to get lost in, if that helps.

Quote from: Misguided on October 20, 2009, 08:35:53 PM

Shit.  We've got a DS Lite.  I don't suppose it has an ethernet port? smile

Steam profile
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2009, 09:15:51 PM »

There are a number of FF RPGs, as well as Dragon Quest, Suikoden, Valkyrie Profile and many others.

kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2009, 09:17:32 PM »

A screen protector is the most important and if you want to play it in public -i.e. on transit- compact stereo headphones.

+ to Professor Layton and Puzzle Quest for puzzle game recommendations. Picross is a decent puzzle game too.
+1 to Hotel Dusk and Phoenix Wright (the 1st 2) for adventure games. I've played the GBA version of the Broken Sword, and having read the DS version is even better, I'd recommend it as well.
For RPG's, I've played both Pokemon games and they were surprisingly good. I haven't played too many of the other RPG's, but if your girlfriend liked SNES style JRPG's, she'll be in heaven with the DS.

The AAA titles IMO are LoZ:Pantom Hourglass, Mario Kart, New Super Mario Bros, GTA:Chinatown and the Advance Wars games. I liked much of the Castlevania games, but for some reason I got stumped on both.
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2009, 09:19:20 PM »

Quote from: Huw the Poo on October 20, 2009, 09:02:23 PM

Cool, thanks for the recommendations so far.  She likes the more Final Fantasy style of RPG.  She likes some kind of plot but at the same time a big open world to get lost in, if that helps.

The DSLite only does WEP.

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
KC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2009, 09:22:24 PM »

I agree with the screen protector suggestion.  Make sure it is the Hori brand version, which I believe you can get at Target.

You should also consider Nintendogs for the cuteness factor.

Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2009, 09:26:16 PM »

This is turning into quite a list!  Thanks again guys, this is great.  Plenty to research!

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on October 20, 2009, 09:19:20 PM

icon_mad

Steam profile
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2009, 09:36:55 PM »

Yah, that was a little bit of a shock for me when I found that out.  icon_confused

From an 'Old School' dungeon crawl standpoint, The Dark Spire is pretty cool but fairly hard core. On the lighter side, I was suprised how much I liked the bargain bin copy of Orcs & Elves I picked up on a whim.  icon_cool

-craig

kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2009, 09:52:45 PM »

Albeit it's an annoying additional cost, you can buy a PC USB dongle directly from Nintendo. Once it's plugged into a USB port, it lets you WiFi you DS to you PC and then access the Internet via your PC's shared connnection.
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2009, 10:00:16 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on October 20, 2009, 09:52:45 PM

Albeit it's an annoying additional cost, you can buy a PC USB dongle directly from Nintendo. Once it's plugged into a USB port, it lets you WiFi you DS to you PC and then access the Internet via your PC's shared connnection.

Discontinued.  icon_frown

http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/wii/en_na/onlineUSB.jsp

-craig

kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2009, 10:09:38 PM »

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on October 20, 2009, 10:00:16 PM

Quote from: kronovan on October 20, 2009, 09:52:45 PM

Discontinued.  icon_frown

http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/wii/en_na/onlineUSB.jsp

Bummer, didn't realize that. frown  Considering the amount of money Big N's making, you'd think they could afford to maintain some stock. Providing support for it was probably a nightmare though.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2009, 11:09:41 PM »

she needs this:

details here...

& it don't get better than phoenix wright smile ...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2009, 12:44:46 AM »

I think that after you browse the web for 5-10 minutes you will find that you really don't care if the DS connects to the Internet. 

I would get Devil Survivor, Dragon Quest 5, and The World Ends with You for RPGs.  I would get Puzzle Quest for just fun gaming. 

Your in for a lot of fun.

Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2009, 01:30:30 AM »

The Mario and Luigi games are excellent.  Partners in Time and the recent Bowser's Inside Story.

Pokemon might get some flak, but I had a good time with Pokemon: Diamond.  Surprisingly addicting.

I also enjoyed Mystery Case Files: Millionheir.  It's a "find the hidden item" game which is nice sometimes.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2009, 02:03:22 AM »

Quote from: farley2k on October 21, 2009, 12:44:46 AM

I think that after you browse the web for 5-10 minutes you will find that you really don't care if the DS connects to the Internet. 

I would get Devil Survivor, Dragon Quest 5, and The World Ends with You for RPGs.  I would get Puzzle Quest for just fun gaming. 

Your in for a lot of fun.

While Devil Survivor and TWEWY are both good games, I'd probably give just one of them a try first to make sure the setting (teen hipsters in modern-day Tokyo) jives with you.

My recommendation would (of course) be Final Fantasy Tactics A2.  I put over 100 hours into that game...it's a brilliant bit of Strategy RPG.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2009, 02:36:12 AM »

Quote from: Huw the Poo on October 20, 2009, 09:26:16 PM

This is turning into quite a list!  Thanks again guys, this is great.  Plenty to research!

icon_mad

If it makes you feel any better I just bought a DSi last weekend and it only supports WEP as well.  I had to modify my router settings to update it and download a DSiWare game and then change it back.

So far all I've picked up were Scribblenauts and a clearance copy of Drawn to Life.  Not impressed with Drawn to Life, even for $4, but maybe that's me.

On the Nintendogs front, do you really only get certain dogs with certain copies?  That seems like a real ripoff.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Clay

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2009, 03:24:32 AM »

You should know (if you travel internationally) that the power adapter on US units only supports ~110 V. So, unlike many power adapters that support up to 220V and only require a plug adapter to work overseas, the DS requires a (much more expensive) voltage converter to recharge overseas. I found this out the hard and annoying way when I was in remote Africa for an extended period of time w/o Internet, TV, radio, or any other form of SFW entertainment.

(this was on an original DS unit... not sure about the Lite or the DSi)

xbox live: nude rick james
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2009, 05:25:45 AM »

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on October 20, 2009, 09:36:55 PM

From an 'Old School' dungeon crawl standpoint, The Dark Spire is pretty cool but fairly hard core. On the lighter side, I was suprised how much I liked the bargain bin copy of Orcs & Elves I picked up on a whim.  icon_cool

These two look really cool, thanks.  She really enjoyed Pokemon the last time we played it...on the Game Boy Colour!  I might have to check out the latest ones.

So, internet connectivity not worth the hassle after all?  I suppose I should've known, since there really isn't much point with the Wii either, if we're probably not going to do multiplayer.  So there are never any updates to the console, or to games?

Steam profile
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2009, 06:14:39 AM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on October 21, 2009, 02:36:12 AM

On the Nintendogs front, do you really only get certain dogs with certain copies?  That seems like a real ripoff.

No - all the versions contain the same dogs.  The only difference is which dogs are initially available and which you have to unlock.

As for recommendations, my favorite DS game is Elite Beat Agents, and it's by far the best music/rhythm game I've ever played.  Plus, you can get it for a few bucks now.  Clubhouse Games can also be had cheaply, and contains 40+ board and card games.    For RPGs, I'd suggest Dragon Quest 4 and 5, Final Fantasy 4, Chrono Trigger, Suikoden : Tierkreis, and the Mario & Luigi games.  There's also Nostalgia coming out next week and it's supposed to be really good.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2009, 01:52:39 PM »

Quote from: Huw the Poo on October 21, 2009, 05:25:45 AM

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on October 20, 2009, 09:36:55 PM

These two look really cool, thanks.  She really enjoyed Pokemon the last time we played it...on the Game Boy Colour!  I might have to check out the latest ones.

So, internet connectivity not worth the hassle after all?  I suppose I should've known, since there really isn't much point with the Wii either, if we're probably not going to do multiplayer.  So there are never any updates to the console, or to games?

I've never ended up using it, never playing anything multiplayer on the DS. I've seen 'download stations' in some stores where you can get demos but haven't tried them either. And unlike the Wii which gets lots of system updates, I don't recall ever hearing of such a thing for the DS or any of its games.  icon_neutral

-craig

Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2009, 02:35:04 PM »

If you get Professor Layton, don't get the first one.  I hated it (and still do!), but the second game is excellent.
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2009, 04:28:44 PM »

What did you hate about the first one? I thought people liked #1 and #2 was supposed to be pretty much MOTS.

-craig

Old Negus

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2009, 05:14:29 PM »

Quote from: Eel Snave on October 21, 2009, 02:35:04 PM

If you get Professor Layton, don't get the first one.  I hated it (and still do!), but the second game is excellent.

Yeah, that's quite strange. I'd be interested in hearing why too. The second one really just feels like more of the same (haha, oh that's what MOTS stand for). Was it just the setting you hated? The puzzles generally seem the same... if anything, there have been more less-enjoyable puzzles in #2 for me.
slackerjoe
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2009, 05:21:13 PM »

I love love love the Osu! Tatakae! Oendan! rythym games (I & II) most of all.  Even better than Elite Beat Agents imo.

PS3 screen name: slacker_joe
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2009, 07:40:12 PM »

If it makes you feel any better I just bought a DSi last weekend and it only supports WEP as well.  

You're mistaken about this. I'm sure I'm using some form of WPA. You have to go into the advanced setup.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2009, 07:48:49 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on October 21, 2009, 07:40:12 PM

If it makes you feel any better I just bought a DSi last weekend and it only supports WEP as well.  
You're mistaken about this. I'm sure I'm using some form of WPA. You have to go into the advanced setup.

I agree. While I don't own a DSi, I could've sworn that Nintendo put in something other than WEP support into the DSi (because that's all the DS and DSL have). Let's see...

From Wikipedia:

"The DSi supports wireless encryption by WEP, WPA (AES/TKIP), and WPA2 (AES/TKIP), but WPA/2 is only available with DS games built with WPA/2 since the original DS and the DS Lite did not support this type of encryption for wireless networks."

In short - only newer titles (if any) will support something other than WEP (or maybe DSi only titles). But the DSi itself can connect through more secure networks than the DS and DSL can.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2009, 07:54:27 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on October 21, 2009, 07:48:49 PM

In short - only newer titles (if any) will support something other than WEP (or maybe DSi only titles). But the DSi itself can connect through more secure networks than the DS and DSL can.

Huh. Now, THAT I didn't know (with regard to the games themselves). I guess it makes sense in a way (are the network settings stored on the game carts or on the system for the DS/Lite)? Thanks for the tip. Maybe that's what 9 ran into.

Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2009, 07:56:33 PM »

Quote from: Old Negus on October 21, 2009, 05:14:29 PM

Quote from: Eel Snave on October 21, 2009, 02:35:04 PM

Yeah, that's quite strange. I'd be interested in hearing why too. The second one really just feels like more of the same (haha, oh that's what MOTS stand for). Was it just the setting you hated? The puzzles generally seem the same... if anything, there have been more less-enjoyable puzzles in #2 for me.

See, I can't put my finger on it.  I even went BACK to the first Layton after playing through (and absolutely LOVING) the second and expected to enjoy it.  No dice.  I think the second one's story was just more propulsive, and the puzzles felt more intuitive to me.  I dunno.
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2009, 10:15:24 PM »

I'm still watching the thread even if I don't say anything, so I'll just say thanks very much once again for all contributions so far and in the future.  I'm researching it all! thumbsup

Steam profile
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2009, 03:12:51 AM »

Quote from: Misguided on October 21, 2009, 07:54:27 PM

Quote from: Destructor on October 21, 2009, 07:48:49 PM

Huh. Now, THAT I didn't know (with regard to the games themselves). I guess it makes sense in a way (are the network settings stored on the game carts or on the system for the DS/Lite)? Thanks for the tip. Maybe that's what 9 ran into.

Yep, you guys were right.  I had looked in the Advanced menu but only saw Connections 4-6 and figured it was just extra connections.  Turns out those ones are the only ones that have WPA+ settings. 

Glad to know that it is there, but it is a bit weird to hide that capability away with no real indication.  Leave it to Nintendo, I guess.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2009, 11:26:52 AM »

When you tried to set up the WPA connection, you should have received a message telling you to use the advanced setup. I'm not sure why it works that way, but perhaps it's because of what Destructor was saying.

kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2009, 02:37:05 PM »

I'm curious if anyone here knows what the current status is with the DS and Internet cafe ISP's? I know a few years back you could WiFi connect in any cafe that used Wayport as their ISP; Fatport in Canada. A friend and I got connected up in a coffee house about 3 or 4 years ago, and we were able to get into some lag-free sessions of Metroid Prime Hunters.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 02:39:12 PM by kronovan » Logged
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2009, 11:58:11 AM »

For the lady - Scribblenauts, Dr. Mario (probably not in DS form though, but can be played from an older cart), and Professor Layton.  Nintendogs is cute, but I doubt it stands the test of time for adults - as in how long anyone really wants to continue playing it.  Unless she likes All Things Sims, then maybe.  There is also a very nice Ma-Jhong game (sp?) that is excellent.  It's 7:40 AM for this insomniac, but if you want the actual name of that game, email me or send me a PM and it's yours!   nod

For you - anything, lmao:  the above-mentioned;  LoZ (any);  as noted, tons of RPGS; and even the brain-training and language learning games if that is anything you'd be interested in.  Although the brain ones make me feel totally stupid, My Spanish Teacher is actually fun, for me anyway.  I had some Spanish in college, my closest neighbors are Argentinian, and I've always felt ethnocentric for only understanding English mostly.  I think you'd need some motivation to play the language games if you've had no prior experience in whichever language you were interested in (maybe), but they are definitely cheaper than Rosetta Stone!   icon_eek

You have a huge world awaiting you, enjoy!

icon_razz

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: