http://gamingtrend.com
September 22, 2014, 10:34:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Just Finished: The Best Game from 1998  (Read 1351 times)
ATB
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« on: March 27, 2006, 06:32:42 PM »

In 1998, I was a PC gamer.  It was probably my 8th year of PC gaming exclusivity  yet there would still be 4 more before I bought my Xbox.

In 1998, among other titles, I played Fallout- still one of the best gaming experiences I've ever had...but...had I only known what I had been missing I surely would have jumped to the consoles much much sooner.

While everyone is looking forward: XBOX360, PS3, DS Lite, Revolution, I am excited to be looking backwards.

My first game for the PS2, which I got just this month, was from 2001: Shadow Hearts. It's a masterpiece and rates an A+ from me.  Where to go from there?  Further backward, to 1998 and the sublime gaming experience and masterfully crafted story of Metal Gear Solid.

I just finished it over lunch and all I can say is Bravo.

The game holds up exquisitely and the story is on a par with any game I played prior 98 or have played since.  My only gripes are the imprecise controls and the lack of field of view (but after all, it is from 98 which legitimately is a different gaming era).

If you have never played MGS, do so now.  I got mine with a memory card used at EB for 9.00.

I never understood the need for backwards compatibilty, but now I do. If PS2 wasn't bwc, I could never have experienced it....nor could I experience my next adventure: FFVII.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2006, 07:32:41 PM »

Heh.  Sweet post ATB.

I tried MGS once when it came out and didn't get it for some reason.  I went back again about 2 years ago and blew through the whole game in a weekend.  For some reason it clicked that time.

Normally I hate boss battles but those were amazing.

Now FFVII?  Wow.  It may look a bit rough compared even to Shadow Hearts but it's definitely pretty cool.
depward

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2006, 08:17:40 PM »

Since you liked SH1 so much, I think you would really like Covenant.

I also love the backwards compatibility of the PS2.  Back in the day when the N64 and Playstation were both launched, I swore my allegiance as a Nintendo "fanboi."  My friends Gator, TML, and I would go over to Morgan's house to play some NFL Gameday or Tekken.  It was great - whenever the game would be loading, we would cry out, "What?  Did your Playstation freeze?!  *snicker*"  So I really didn't experience the PSX and all of it's fantastic games.

But with backwards compatibility, I've played all of the PSX games I missed.  I experienced FFVII only about a year ago and thoroughly enjoyed it.  Sure the graphics aren't quite up to snuff, but FFVII has a great story, a fun battle system, and some memorable (if not the most mentioned spoiler of any RPG in history) moments.

And if you're hankering for another PSX RPG after that, try Chrono Cross.  Can be found for about $12 or so at any gamestore.  Though, I don't think quite deserving of a perfect 10 from Gamespot, it's one of my favorites.  I borrowed my friend's PSX back in the day and beat it in about three days when it was released and have played through it a couple of times since.  Nice battle system, GREAT music, and an interesting story somewhat in the vein of Chrono Trigger.

Have fun!

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2006, 08:36:56 PM »

It's funny. I just bought Chrono Cross off of ebay this morning smile
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2006, 09:17:27 PM »

Since you're on a retro kick, here' s a few other PS1 games you may want to check out:

-  Final Fantasy IX
-  Chrono Cross (seconded).  If nothing else, it has one of the best soundtracks in gaming history
-  Vagrant Story
-  Vandal Hearts
-  Xenogears
-  Final Fantasy Tactics

Also, while I would never try to talk anyone out of playing FF VII (my all-time favorite game), I would start on Shadow Hearts:  Covenant while the story and characters from the first game are fresh in your mind.  I played them back to back, and I think SH:  C would have lost much of the emotional impact if I had forgotten some of the first game's details.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Cleric7

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2006, 09:50:34 PM »

There is some wonderful gaming in this thread!  smile

"All that is necessary for evil to flourish is for good people to do nothing."
unbreakable
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2006, 02:02:36 AM »

I couldnt get into Vagrant Story for one reason- the weapons.

Was I doing something wrong?  Was there some reason each person I fight takes about fifty hits to kill?

I know you can train up your weapon skills, but come on.  And, given how creatures respawn every time you re-enter a section, you are going to be doing a ton of fighting from what I saw.  I know there are people who are rabid fans of this game, so I'm wondering if I was just doing something wrong.

Anyway, retro is always a great way to go.  Such a wealth of great games, and the best of them can suck you in without requiring tons of razzle dazzle.  I'm replaying Chrono Trigger, and the sprite based graphics are more than pretty enough.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2006, 02:09:32 AM »

Quote from: "Gratch"

Also, while I would never try to talk anyone out of playing FF VII (my all-time favorite game), I would start on Shadow Hearts:  Covenant while the story and characters from the first game are fresh in your mind.  I played them back to back, and I think SH:  C would have lost much of the emotional impact if I had forgotten some of the first game's details.

This advice has been followed. I fired up SH:C tonight and FFVII is on deck.
unbreakable
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2006, 02:44:38 AM »

Actually, that isnt bad advice for playing Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross, either.

Now while there isnt much story crossover between the two (at least not in an overt sense), when you finally find out what went wrong, it includes some issues and characters from the last game (and even settles one of the loose ends from CT).
Darren8r

I like video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2006, 03:51:22 AM »

Quote from: "unbreakable"
Actually, that isnt bad advice for playing Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross, either.

Chrono Trigger is the bomb, playing its on the PSX currently.

Now Playing: Skyrim
PS3: Darrenzo- (don't forget the dash at the end)
Meisterbrew
Special Project Group
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2006, 06:37:58 AM »

Quote from: "unbreakable"

Now while there isnt much story crossover between the two (at least not in an overt sense), when you finally find out what went wrong, it includes some issues and characters from the last game (and even settles one of the loose ends from CT).

And what loose end was that?
unbreakable
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2006, 09:12:50 AM »

Spoiler for Hiden:
CT never resolved what happened to Schala after Queen Zeal sacraficed her to Lavos or whatever (I kinda forget the exact circumstance, and I'm nowhere near there yet).
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2006, 01:05:03 PM »

ATB,

Are you in some kind of a time warp?  Are you regressing?  I fully expect to hear your review of Atari's Combat soon!  :wink:

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
unbreakable
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2006, 01:51:50 AM »

Combat: the first truly great two-player video game!
greeneggsnham
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2006, 02:39:24 AM »

Another vote for Chrono Cross from me. I really need to go back and finish it....

The original Final Fantasy Tactics gets mucho high marks in my book, as well. As a bonus, it can be found at a decent price now. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night is also awesome, but I'm not sure how easy or cheap it would be to acquire. I should fire it back up now that I have a surround sound system. smile

Front Mission 3 is another nice gem for the PSX... boy, this list could go on and on...
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2006, 03:24:49 AM »

You know, Shadow Hearts really stalled out for me.  I haven't touched it in 2 weeks.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2006, 01:34:35 PM »

Quote from: "CeeKay"
You know, Shadow Hearts really stalled out for me.  I haven't touched it in 2 weeks.

Which SH are you playing?

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2006, 05:22:21 PM »

Quote from: "Gratch"
Quote from: "CeeKay"

Which SH are you playing?

The first one.  I finished the oprhanage and didn't touch it for a week, and then Oblivion came out....

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2006, 05:53:20 PM »

Quote from: "greeneggsnham"
Front Mission 3 is another nice gem for the PSX... boy, this list could go on and on...

Front Mission 3 is one of my favorite PSX games of all.  LOVE it!  Now I want to replay it!

It was a far better game than FM4 turned out to be, unfortunately.  frown

And I still think that Chrono Cross isn't even close to as great a game as Chrono Trigger, but I know that's possibly largely due to my nostalgic love for CT.  I had hoped for a "true" sequel in CC, but unfortunately that's not what I got.  Despite that, CC is still a fun game in its own right, and yes, has one of the best soundtracks of any game.  smile

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2006, 09:45:24 PM »

Quote from: "Farscry_Redux"
Front Mission 3 is one of my favorite PSX games of all.  LOVE it!  Now I want to replay it!

It was a far better game than FM4 turned out to be, unfortunately.  frown

FM5 supposedly returns the series to its former glory.  Can't wait for it to make its way over here.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: